PDA

View Full Version : Could someone please explain to me.............

Drake1980
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Why some players sit with their chair facing the court but some players sit with theirs chairs so that the crowd can see their profiles? I don't really get it.

jonny84
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I dont either. Maybe its away from the direct view of the sun?

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Because at wimbledon they put the chairs with theis backs to the side of the ump's chair. Most players put the chairs back to what they are used to and some leave 'em. Wimbledon started doing this a few years ago; always tought it looked stupid (somehow I thought I had something to do with the Monica incident, but don't quote me on that one).

Shenanigans
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I was wondering this to but If I remember rightly they started doing it not shortly after the Monica incident but thought players didn't like it and they went back to the way it was. I can't remember Maria sitting like that last year or maybe I am wrong.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
the groundstaff put all chairs side on, but some players decide to move chairs and face court, some just leave them as they are.

Ceze
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Because at wimbledon they put the chairs with theis backs to the side of the ump's chair. Most players put the chairs back to what they are used to and some leave 'em. Wimbledon started doing this a few years ago; always tought it looked stupid (somehow I thought I had something to do with the Monica incident, but don't quote me on that one).It's probably the reason ;)

crazillo
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I think it's only looking weird to us because we aren't used to it.

*abby*
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
its because if the chairs are sideways a player is more likely to see a crazed lunatic jumping out of the crowd to attack them than if they had their back to the crowd. it is merely for safety reasons

scoobsuk
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:51 PM
The Monica incident is the reason, yes.

It started at the 1993 Wimbledon, I believe in direct response to the Seles stabbing. Given how open access to the courts are from the stands (eg the streakers and protesters this week), they were very concerned about having players sat with their back exposed to a significant section of the crowd mere feet away.

So they changed the chairs. But a lot of players don't like it, and change them to the standard configuration.

Derek.
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Maybe so photographers won't have such a good view. :o

rhz
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Wimbledon should invest on chairs! they are UGLY!