PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited about the drama?

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Mauresmo-Justine, starting where they left off in January?

I, for one, always like it when there is a bit of drama before the match, the things that make a match anticipated for reasons other than than the level of tennis expected. Like the tension before a Kim-Justine match, or an all Williams match-up.

Justine's retiring during the AO final caused such emotions and heated arguments at the time. And at least for Momo, things are not yet completely in the past. There was the interview she gave to SI a few days ago (posted here) with these quotes:
"I knew she got some criticism," Mauresmo, the world No. 1, said after her 6-3, 6-4 win over Ana Ivanovic on Monday. "As a journalist I probably would have done the same." Once, Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne were good friends. Asked if they were still friends now, Mauresmo said, "No, I cannot." Asked if Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal had affected their relationship, Mauresmo said, "It did. It did. I had a lot of respect for the champion she is and all that's she's achieved. But I don't feel this behavior is a champion's behavior. Unless you injure yourself and you cannot, like Kim [who retired with an injury from their Australian semifinal] a couple days before, I don't think it's the way to behave on the court. Especially since, I think the first thing she said in the press conference was, 'Well, I couldn't win the match anyway.' So you have to think: Did you pull out because you felt you could not win because of the way you were feeling? Or was it because ... you know. There's still that question."

Let the games begin :bounce:

SharapovaFan16
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
wipe the floor Momo wipe the floor

manu32
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
where is the drama????

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:38 PM
where is the drama????

Hey, we all know they are not going be screaming at each other. But you don't think there is going to be palpable tension before the match? There is not one commentator who is not going to mention the controversy. And you just know Mauresmo is going to want to win this one, bad. She does not want to be the one who won just one, by default.

Hagar
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I hope Amélie will beat Justine fair and square so that noone will ever doubt that she can win a Slam.

manu32
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hey, we all know they are not going be screaming at each other. But you don't think there is going to be palpable tension before the match? There is not one commentator who is not going to mention the controversy. And you just know Mauresmo is going to want to win this one, bad. She does not want to be the one who won just one, by default.

nobody talks here about wimby......only football...it's a drama .4 or 5 people
dead last night ....

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
link please ? :tape:

There was the interview she gave to SI a few days ago (posted here) with these quotes:
"I knew she got some criticism," Mauresmo, the world No. 1, said after her 6-3, 6-4 win over Ana Ivanovic on Monday. "As a journalist I probably would have done the same." Once, Mauresmo and Henin-Hardenne were good friends. Asked if they were still friends now, Mauresmo said, "No, I cannot." Asked if Henin-Hardenne's withdrawal had affected their relationship, Mauresmo said, "It did. It did. I had a lot of respect for the champion she is and all that's she's achieved. But I don't feel this behavior is a champion's behavior. Unless you injure yourself and you cannot, like Kim [who retired with an injury from their Australian semifinal] a couple days before, I don't think it's the way to behave on the court. Especially since, I think the first thing she said in the press conference was, 'Well, I couldn't win the match anyway.' So you have to think: Did you pull out because you felt you could not win because of the way you were feeling? Or was it because ... you know. There's still that question."

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
link please ? :tape:

Here you go. The Momo quotes are on the second page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/sl_price/07/03/henin.hardenne/index.html

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM
beat her ass Momo

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Here you go. The Momo quotes are on the second page.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/sl_price/07/03/henin.hardenne/index.html
but you forgot this part :

Mauresmo, though, has an easier task: win two more matches on the other side of the draw and set up the year's most intriguing rematch. Friends once, and now something else entirely. "I would take anybody" in the Wimbledon final, Mauresmo said of the possibility of facing Henin-Hardenne on Saturday. "But I think if it comes -- and it may come here, it may come later -- all this has to be behind." She made a gesture then, her right arm shoving what happened in Melbourne somewhere behind her back. "Just focus on the game."

Asked if she thought she could truly do that, Mauresmo tried to sound convincing. "I think so, yes, yes," she said. "I think so."

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
but you forgot this part :

Fair enough. And good point that she is not trying to inflate the drama even more. Still, she made a point of saying there are not friends anymore, which says something about the fact that this was a big deal to her. As it should be. For someone who was acccused of not being able to close down a slam, she won one in just about the worst-case scenario... by not really closing it down. I felt so bad for her. Even if there would be no bad blood between the two, she is going to be hell-bent on a do-over.

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM
well i have a feeling this will be one sided affair.........Either way...But either nerves will get to Ju or to momo...Dont expect a clean match here as where emotions r involved, crazy things hapen

MisterMan
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I feel this is gonna be a really really good match, best of the tournament.

saki
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Fair enough. And good point that she is not trying to inflate the drama even more.

Erm, she kind of is going for the drama. She behaved like a complete class act at the final itself and immediately afterwards and kudos to her for that but those comments are quite obviously trying to fuel things. I don't know why she feels that way months later when she didn't seem to at the time, maybe it helps psych herself up or something, but she is amping up the drama.

Shenanigans
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
It has all the makings of a great final, Justine really wants a complete slam collection, Amélie really wants to beat Justine right now, after the AO, and on top of that expect lots of "allez". May the best allez win.

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Erm, she kind of is going for the drama. She behaved like a complete class act at the final itself and immediately afterwards and kudos to her for that but those comments are quite obviously trying to fuel things. I don't know why she feels that way months later when she didn't seem to at the time, maybe it helps psych herself up or something, but she is amping up the drama.

Do keep in mind that she said this last week, not today. I wonder if she would have said the same things today. But yes, she did an emphatic point.

Edit: this is what she said in her post match presser today. She knows she has to focus on tennis if she wants to win it...

Q. Did you bear any ill feelings towards Justine as a result of what happened in Melbourne?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I had that question, I think you asked me that question a few days ago. Because you guessed right, we're playing in the final.

Q. Quite relevant now.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I think really this final is gonna be about tennis. That's what I want it to be. That's, I think, gonna happen. Yeah, really, I'm just gonna focus on this, really.

Q. Are you pleased it's going to be Justine? I mean, it's only a few months ago. It's nice to have that other opportunity to play her when she's fit and she's well.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, I think it's good. I think it's good. I think it's good. She probably feels very happy about it also, to have the opportunity to have a revenge after the final of Australia.

No, I'm just taking it really as it comes. I watched a little bit of her match earlier today and she seemed, yeah, to be in great shape and to also be aggressive and likes to come in also. So it's gonna be interesting one.

Shenanigans
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Well she can't please everyone she was criticised for not commenting on how she feels about the AO, now that she is being honest about her feelings she gets criticised again.

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2006-07-06/200607061152212188093.html

Q. Did you bear any ill feelings towards Justine as a result of what happened in Melbourne?

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I had that question, I think you asked me that question a few days ago. Because you guessed right, we're playing in the final.

Q. Quite relevant now.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: I think really this final is gonna be about tennis. That's what I want it to be. That's, I think, gonna happen. Yeah, really, I'm just gonna focus on this, really.

Q. Are you pleased it's going to be Justine? I mean, it's only a few months ago. It's nice to have that other opportunity to play her when she's fit and she's well.

AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, I think it's good. I think it's good. I think it's good. She probably feels very happy about it also, to have the opportunity to have a revenge after the final of Australia.

No, I'm just taking it really as it comes. I watched a little bit of her match earlier today and she seemed, yeah, to be in great shape and to also be aggressive and likes to come in also. So it's gonna be interesting one.

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Hablova, dude, I just posted the same thing two posts up ;)

saki
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Her interview today sounds much more like her. I'm a bit dubious about those SI quotes - they're not from a post-match conference - and they don't really sound like Amelie. I can't really hear her saying things like "that's not what a champion does on court" but, if she did say that, I really don't see how you can say that she's not causing drama.

new-york
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
not excited. curious to see the level of things that will be said after that final.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
It's nice to know Amelie will really focus and will be 'Ready to die on the court'. I have to commend her honesty, but don't know if it was wise to announce this. Still... i hope she players smart. Justine - while she has been winning in straight sets - has not looked that comfortable on the court. She even looked a little tired out there against Kim - turning her back to the court and breathing VERY heavily.

Amelie will be underdog, but lets not forget her style of play at the AO was just perfect... the only question is can it work on grass courts, where the balls stay low? If she can move justine out of the court, preferably to the backhand ... mix it up, and keep her head .... well lets ee.

A lot of Amelie fans predicted Amelie will be the Wimbledon Champion of 2006... that is certainly still a possibility.

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hablovah, dude, I just posted the same thing two posts up ;)oh well and I'm a dudette! :p

chitchat
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:29 PM
:devil: :bounce: drama!, divas!!!, good tennis (hopefully!) :fiery: :( :lol: :bigclap: :clap2:
what can you ask for more ?????:drool:

I for one, cannot wait for saturday :D
I think it 'll give closure to both players:
if Amelie wins, she'll win fair & square or
if Justine does, well, she'll silence her (if they are fair) critics that she doesn't chicken out of a game just because she's losing

It's a win-win situation I believe ;)

May it be a glorious game and the best wins :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :boxing:

Pinkie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:33 PM
if Amelie wins, she'll win fair & square or
if Justine does, well, she'll silence her (if they are fair) critics that she doesn't chicken out of a game just because she's losing

:scratch: :scratch: Err, hate to find fault with your argument but how would Justine silence her critics that she can't bear to lose by winning?? the only way she would silence those critics is to lose 6-1 6-1 (ok, or a less pronounced two setter) and actually finish the match.

Viktymise
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM
The final will be a let down compared with last yr unfortunatly :(

Justine Fan
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I was at Eastbourne and I was watching Justine practice and Amelie was on a couple of courts away from Justine. What I noticed and what I was surprised at was when Amelie was leaving, Amelie WAVED her racquet at Justine to acknowledge her and Justine waved her's back! Make that of what you will, it's not as bad as the media make it out to be.

No they are not bosom buddies but they seem to acknowledge each other! That's a good sign isn't it?

canoe.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
But you don't think there is going to be palpable tension before the match? I think so. It will probably be a good match.