PDA

View Full Version : Who will the British crowd be supporting in the final?

AllezCumonJiayou
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think either are very popular in Britain, but who do you think will get the majority of support on the day, Mauresmo or JHH?

squig2k
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I think amelies popular in britain, right? shes one of the fan favourites every wimbledon. and she got a lot of support today

saki
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
They'll both get decent support. Crowd will probably support the person who seems to be struggling a little bit more. But, if you watched the semis, you'll see that both got good support.

Jasmin
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I think they will definitely be rooting for Mauresmo.

prowler
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
This Brit will be somewhere at Wimbledon rooting 1 million % for Amelie!

Jasmin
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah I've been reading about how not everyone is rooting for Henin on cnnsi.com.

I didn't know Mauresmo and Justine were friends at one point. Is there anyone on tour that stays friends.

raquel
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I'd say Amelie would be favourite. When she won today the crowd reacted to the emotion and knew how much it meant to her and she got a standing ovation from a lot of people. And when she left the court she got another big ovation.

SJW
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Amelie is VERY popular in England, and don't you think otherwise.
It actually surprised me how many people would mob her around the grounds, considering she hasn't won the title yet.
I think the crowd will be behind her.

fifiricci
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
This Brit will be supporting Amelie through and through. I suspect most people will support Amelie because she's generally way more popular than Juju is and at the end of the day the British crowds will reflect the global attitude. Amelie is charming on and off court and the Brits will be hugely influenced by that because like everyone else, we like nice people ;)

Lady
I'd say Amelie would be favourite. When she won today the crowd reacted to the emotion and knew how much it meant to her and she got a standing ovation from a lot of people. And when she left the court she got another big ovation.

Justine got a huge ovation even after her 1st round. British people are very appreciative, that's all.

And no, I'm not saying that Amelie won't be favoured or anything, cause I have no idea. But judging it by ovation?

FrenchY52
They will be sleeping so probably nobody..

saint
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Amelie is VERY popular in England, and don't you think otherwise.
It actually surprised me how many people would mob her around the grounds, considering she hasn't won the title yet.
I think the crowd will be behind her.

The British tennis crowd are very knowledgable and will be very aware of the the whole AO thing and in my view will want Momo to win to prove she can win a GS over a fit on form player. I think it will be a tough three set match but if Momo keeps her head she could come through, although she is no 1 I think she will be perceived as the underdog and the Brits will be behind her.

raquel
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Justine got a huge ovation even after her 1st round. British people are very appreciative, that's all.

And no, I'm not saying that Amelie won't be favoured or anything, cause I have no idea. But judging it by ovation?
You're right, they appreciate good tennis whoever plays it.

I felt today watching from home Amelie got a loud ovation when she won then again when she went off court. In the other semi I felt the crowd would have rather had a third set.

5 years ago I would have said Justine, but now I think Amelie might be more popular.

Fedcup
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
They will be sleeping so probably nobody..

Just as Tatiana is when she's on court ;)

manu32
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM
none because they like pretty women......

johnoo
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM
LOL the crowd I'm afraid probaley won't know who either player is there only there because they got corporate tickets.

saki
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
You're right, they appreciate good tennis whoever plays it.

I felt today watching from home Amelie got a loud ovation when she won then again when she went off court. In the other semi I felt the crowd would have rather had a third set.

5 years ago I would have said Justine, but now I think Amelie might be more popular.

Yes, but in the Amelie-Maria semi, they did get a third set. They were definitely cheering for Maria to take it to three but, once she had, they were back on Amelie's side. I'm pretty sure that's what would have happened if Kim had taken the second too. That's why I think whoever struggles is going to get the crowd support.

V-MAC
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
yeah Momo's reaction today after winning has ensured she has the crowd on her side tomorrow ;)

Justine Fan
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
:haha: :haha: at this thread

And the survey says ................. :lol:

As if any of you know who the crowd are going to be supporting :rolleyes:

So what's the result of the market research then? :lol:

Which one of you has the name and address of all the people who have tickets for Saturday and has gone around to their house and asked "who will you be supporting"? ROFLMAO

As usual you are making yourselves look :retard:

JulesVerne
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Amelie because she is the outsider. Most expect Justine to win.

Viktymise
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Who cares really the match will prob be a snooze, no Williams sister will hurt the final i think

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
justineeeeeeeeeeee.........

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:09 PM
i'd say most of them will be on amelie's side:) i know i will be (obvi)

Jenny.C.Fan
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Without doubt Amelie, the crowd will all be aware of what happened in Oz, and they love an underdog, amelie has a huge following in Britain.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Oh, I think we've been down this path before.

Some of you said Justine would be harrassed and booed by the French and it never happened. And that was Mauresmo's home country. Justine perservered.

Historically, the British fans cheer the matches to go the distance so they can see a full day of tennis. This Championship will be no different.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Without doubt Amelie, the crowd will all be aware of what happened in Oz, and they love an underdog, amelie has a huge following in Britain.

The French Open crowd (Mauresmo's home country) was aware and never booed Justine.

Another Red Herring.

Mother_Marjorie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Who cares really the match will prob be a snooze, no Williams sister will hurt the final i think

Who cares????

Two of the top three women's players will be in the finals, battling it out. They are the best, which is what people want to see.

sapir1434
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:32 PM
:rolleyes: come on, probably the two best players in the world right now. I have nothing against the Williams sisters but I guess one year without any of them in the final it's nothing bad.

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:33 PM
The French Open crowd (Mauresmo's home country) was aware and never booed Justine.

Another Red Herring.
Exactly...

canoe.
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Well being a Williams fan, you should know! :o

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM
they'll cheer on mauresmo-after her near misses in the last 2 semis, they'll be rooting for her all the way now shes finally in the final

Viktymise
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Well being a Williams fan, you should know! :o
Yes cause if the final is half as good as last yrs ill credit them but lets be fair its not gonna be :o

chris whiteside
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
There is no question. The crowd will be firmly behind Mauresmo.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Mauresmo is the underdog... but there must be great respect for what Justine is trying to achieve. Mauresmo has the edge though IMO.

47eggs
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I don't think either are very popular in Britain, but who do you think will get the majority of support on the day, Mauresmo or JHH?

Both are popular players in Britain :( Have you seen the support they've both been given during their matches over the last 2 weeks? Get your facts right! :mad:

PatrickRyan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:42 AM
momo

IceHock
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:44 AM
They should be rooting for Amelie.

Justine Fan
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:49 AM
:lol: Well being a Williams fan, you should know! :o

:haha: :haha: You got there before I did.

Fingon
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:52 AM
The British tennis crowd are very knowledgable and will be very aware of the the whole AO thing and in my view will want Momo to win to prove she can win a GS over a fit on form player. I think it will be a tough three set match but if Momo keeps her head she could come through, although she is no 1 I think she will be perceived as the underdog and the Brits will be behind her.

I always wonder how people refers to the "crowd" as if it's a person with its own mind and feelings.

First of all, they are not necesarily that knowledgeable, not in the finals, it's more a social event than anything else, it's very difficult to get there even if you have money.

Second, to my knowledge, most of the people just follow Wimbledon, and maybe the other british events.

Surely, some of them are aware of what happened at the Australian Open, and some of them might support Amelie, and some of the people that will support Amelie may do it because they want her to win a slam without the opponent retiring, but to say that the "crowd" will have that kind of complicated line of thinking is stretching it a little bit too much.

Also, I might be wrong but I don't think they always support the underdog, they support Federer don't they? something tells me that underdog and Federer don't go together, specially at Wimbledon. They also used to support Navratilova and Steffi who won a combined 16 singles so I really have trouble thinking they were underdogs.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:55 AM
They will surely be cheering for Momo, as she is the underdog in the Final (hei, the crowd ALWAYS support the underdogs in the match, don't they?)

ezekiel
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:09 AM
not the whole crowd is "british" . As far as the support , one thing I like about Wimbledon is that crowd is usually very neutral and just like good game

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:26 AM
LOL the crowd I'm afraid probaley won't know who either player is there only there because they got corporate tickets.
That is SO true! I was there the other day and heard one woman behind me say to the woman with her: 'I can't hear the commentators like on the telly'! Her friend said: 'I know, are the speakers not working'!

They go to say they went, not to see the tennis. Most wont even know who won the AO and RG!

LostGlory
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:17 AM
After the standing Ovation Amelie received when she won her semi, I would think she is the crowd favourite this time......

With all my respect to Justine's tennis and play unfortunetly she is not a crowd favourite anywhere i've been not even in Belgium....and I am talking about me and my own experience before anyone jumps to conclusions....

mila_mail
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Henin Of Course