May the best grass courter win on Saturday!!!!! :worship:

Kenny
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Yay!

tennisbear7
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
YES!!!

Waited for this so long! THANK YOU FOR NOT CHOKING AMEMOMO! :worship: :clap2:

Maria, you will win Wimbledon in the future. But the day belongs to Momo! Yay!

Dexter
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
what a hilarious match... congrats Momo!

tennisbear7
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Well, she sorta choked at the second set, but you rebounded beautifully Momo!

Fabunny
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I am thrilled or Amelie to finally get her day in the sun. Sharapova was so disappointed that she broke with tradition and exited the court BEFORE Amelie. - too bad

tennislover
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:14 PM
sometimes the best players win

I'm so happy for Amelie!!!!!!!!!!!
She deserves it 1000%

Brooklyn90
Yes!!!!!!! Go momo!!!! Now take down Justine!!!!!!!!

Derek.
:lol:

She finally closed it out! :eek: *faints*

Masha :sad: SF might become a mental block for you. :scared:

RAA
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
YAY for momo!!!!!!!!!!!111

i'm sorry for sharapova fans.

Ceze
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Amélie! :banana: :woohoo: :banana:

Shenanigans
Amélie :bounce: :bounce: what a nerve racking match, so happy Amélie finally got rid of her SF demons here.
Allez, Amélie just one more victim and the title is yours.

Sandra.P
Amélieeeeeee :woohoo:

I'm so happy for her, she's in the final and Sharapova is out, that is Joy x 2 :bounce: :D

Lady
Jul 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM
YAY for momo!!!!!!!!!!!111

i'm sorry for sharapova fans.

No jinxing. :p

Maria was throwing errors everywhere (and that doesn't take away credit from Amelie, cause she was smart enough to let Maria continue doing it ;) )

Ceze
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/ceze/MauresmoSFWimbledon.jpg

narrisch
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:worship: :bounce: :drool: :hearts: :bigclap: :bowdown: :dance: :banana: :rocker:

40-0
wow awesome stuff, maria had some many chances! but momo didnt choke!

Paneru
Way to hold your head
together Momo! :cool:

Sandra.P
Hillarious news headline at Wimbledon Homepage:

Mauresmo Silences Sharapova

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
It was kinda like driving past a pile up on the motorway. You know it's really bad and you shouldn't look, but you can't help watching it.

What a awful, yet compelling match to watch!!!

I'm shocked someone managed to win!!!!

Ceze
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hillarious news headline at Wimbledon Homepage:

Mauresmo Silences Sharapova

:lol:funny :lol:

Martyś
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
It's a little bit frustrating.

Maria, one slam wonder, semipova.

partbrit
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Allez!!

xXSarajevoXx
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Masha :(

alextim
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
yesssssss ... great champion amélie

xin_hui
another match i had to mute :cool: thank goodness the shrieks only came from one side of the net this time

:bigclap: amelie! what a great reaction from her after winning :lol: . get yourself a bigger birthday present on saturday ;)

OTOH, someone really needs to improve bigtime on her volleys :tape:

Jasmin
sometimes the best players win

ITA

Yay momo... Finally a women's match that I want to watch.

venusfan
I don't care who beat the screaming russian.. I just didn't want her to win. Thank you Amelie.

RAA
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
No jinxing. :p

Maria was throwing errors everywhere (and that doesn't take away credit from Amelie, cause she was smart enough to let Maria continue doing it ;) )

maria did make a lot of errors but FULL credit to momo for keeping her SH*T together and pulling this one out.

now we have a rematch of OZ!!

vwfan
It was kinda like driving past a pile up on the motorway. You know it's really bad and you shouldn't look, but you can't help watching it.

What a awful, yet compelling match to watch!!!

I'm shocked someone managed to win!!!!exactly. maria wanted it too much and sprayed errors all of the place and momo is still a work in progress in knowing how to win!

congrats to her fans! :)

fnuf7
Congrats Amelie! :bounce: :woohoo: :D I did get a bit worried in that 3rd set but she fought it through to the end :) Now lets hope she beats Justine in the final :yeah:

forever_rafter
:worship: Ame! :worship: Sharapova's game is as ordinary as a construction of a flail :lol: :tape:

Maryamator
:woohoo:

Danči Dementia
Yuju :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Momo :worship: :worship: :worship: way to go girl.

I'm so so happy for her. :)

I guess Yuri didn't blow kisses to the heaven today :lol: :lol:
And María raised her finger saying I'm number one......................no no no you are not the true Number one just kicked you butt :lol: :lol: .

Momo beat :o Justine :o
I hope her stomach hurt again :p

serenafan08
It's a little bit frustrating.

Maria, one slam wonder, semipova.
:haha: That's a good one! Unfortunately, it's also true because it seems like now she can't get past the semis of any major. Maria hasn't quite figured out how to deal with the pressure of being the favorite all the time, and until she does, she won't win another major. As for Amelie, this really should be like her second or third Wimbledon final. Grass is absolutely perfect for her game, and it's well overdue for her to be in the Wimbledon final. I still give Justine the edge though, but Mauresmo has a chance if Justine's off her game.

Paco
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
well done Amelie :D

Denise4925
Congrats Amelie :) Please beat Justine.

WonderfulLee
congrats Amelie...i think i need move your name on my signature to the high level!

No Name Face
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
death @ semipova.

just death.

now amelie, put a parasite in henin's dinner so she can have stomach cramps, retire and you can win another slam. please.

serenafan08
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
LOL @ everyone's comments about Maria's grunts. The semis last year with Venus were just too funny...there was a thread out last year where we had to give our favorite match a movie title...I named that semifinal "Scream" :lol: Hopefully this one won't be as bad!!!

franny
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Yuju :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Momo :worship: :worship: :worship: way to go girl.

I'm so so happy for her. :)

I guess Yuri didn't blow kisses to the heaven today :lol: :lol:
And María raised her finger saying I'm number one......................no no no you are not the true Number one just kicked you butt :lol: :lol: .

Momo beat :o Justine :o
I hope her stomach hurt again :p

Um, Maria lost to Mauresmo today, not Justine.

:inlove:
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:10 PM
:help: Maria destroyed herself with errors and her awful net play. Credit to Mauresmo for not fading away after a 3-1 40-0* lead in the 2nd though.

Chris Bradnan (sp) is soooo annoying me!!!!!
"Maria really cut down on those errors in the 2nd set" (she made 8 more) :rolleyes: Idiot.

If Masha doesn't get past the semi-final stage of a GS again soon, I am gonna tear my hair out!!! :sad:

Amelie I'm rooting for you in the final though. :yeah:

Harju.
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Allez Momo. :aparty:

Someone please bump up some threads saying that Momo will lose in the first round in Wimbledon please. Or whichever threads during that Eastbourne week where she lost her first match.

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I'm so proud of you for toughing it out, momo :worship:

Against Nastya it was your fh that went on vacation in the second set, now against Masha it was your serve, but you pulled it out :bowdown:

some really nice volleys too, from momo and nice tactics (good serves for the most part, slice, low balls, drawing sharpie to the net to get the volley errors, etc...) :drool:

tears of joy :bigcry:

I really hope you don't fall apart against juju in the final though :scared:

just dream big and the sky is the limit in the final, momo, you can do it : allez you gotta believe :hearts::angel:

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Allez Momo. :aparty:

Someone please bump up some threads saying that Momo will lose in the first round in Wimbledon please. Or whichever threads during that Eastbourne week where she lost her first match.
I remember those too :lol::aparty:

Belmont Lad
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
A strange match. Amelie, besides some wobbly moments, played an aggressive and athletic match. Sharapova competed really well, but did not keep enough balls in court to really ever keep her nose in front, except for that green patch she hit mid second set. Amelie really picked on Maria's forehand with her serve. Sharapova inexplicably kept blasting for the lines with her forehand on return, and they seldom went in. Gutsy win for Amelie :)

Carmen Mairena
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm very happy for Amélie! :woohoo: :hatoff: :woohoo:

I knew she'd beat Maria! :yeah:

No more grunting this year at Wimbledon! :woohoo:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
:help: Maria destroyed herself with errors and her awful net play. Credit to Mauresmo for not fading away after a 3-1 40-0* lead in the 2nd though.

"Maria really cut down on those errors in the 2nd set" (she made 8 more) :rolleyes: Idiot.

If Masha doesn't get past the semi-final stage of a GS again soon, I am gonna tear my hair out!!! :sad:

It was actually Simon Reed on the BBC.

suzie
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I just can't believe it! YAY!

xin_hui
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm so proud of you for toughing it out, momo :worship:

Against Nastya it was your fh that went on vacation in the second set, now against Masha it was your serve, but you pulled it out :bowdown:

some really nice volleys too, from momo and nice tactics (good serves for the most part, slice, low balls, drawing sharpie to the net to get the volley errors, etc...) :drool:

tears of joy :bigcry:

I really hope you don't fall apart against juju in the final though :scared:

just dream big and the sky is the limit in the final, momo, you can do it : allez you gotta believe :hearts::angel:

:hug: so happy for u :angel:

Lucy
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
damn. maria loses and the site crashes!

hacberto
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I'm so happy that Amelie defeat Sharapova :bounce:

:hearts: Love you Venus :hearts:
:hearts: Love you Serena :hearts:

VENUS & SERENA

sportlife
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Bravo Amélie! :bounce: I`m so happy for you!

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/3397/fa58317ac67343b285c5de7d9a531d.jpg

:kiss: :hearts:

hablo
:hug: so happy for u :angel:
:hug:thank you, but it was very tough to watch at times :lol:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gurl_tennis again. :awww:

Denise4925

Yeah, I wanted Maria to win this, but I will be rooting for Amelie in the final.

xin_hui
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gurl_tennis again. :awww:

LOL...i know! i almost died during the 2nd set :lol:

Denise4925
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM

hablovah :hug: Congrats :)

Martyś
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
It's over. Maria won't be a champion. I know I'm a bad fan but how many defeats can you take with belief :sad: How many times you can say that she is young and talented ? Bullshit.

It would be better for her to have a real coach, not only Yuri who helps her with screaming on her...

Allez Amelie in the final. You're a great grass court player.

raquel
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Well done Amelie :) You could see at the end what it meant to her. It was really tense throughout and when Amelie lost that second set I thought it would be a repeat of the last two semis here for her but she dug deep and made Sharapova go for shots and didn't fade away.

Loved some of the reactions from Amelie - shouting with frustration and the jumping fist pumps like Nadal. She needs to let go like that. Let all the feelings out, especially when she's frustrated.

Sharapova could do with playing a few doubles events now and again because her volleying is UGLY. Swing volleys when the ball is below net height? She has almost no touch at the net. Mauresmo was smart and dipped lots of balls low and got the point just about every time.

borisy
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I'm so fucking happy for Amelie and this was the final I was hoping for.

Il Primo!
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
CONGRATS TO MOMO
She played solid, intelligent, nothing to add, the best won :bigclap:

Maria you really need to improve you volley if you wanna win another Wimbledon..or avoid to play Mauresmo :p

squig2k
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
YES COME ON AMELIEEEEE!
how my dislike for amelie changed during that semi final, she was so brave and managed to keep it together. great win!

squig2k
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Congrats Amelie :) Please beat Justine.

yes PLEASE beat justine! you're world no1 for a reason :)

Drimal
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Well done Amélie :banana: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :banana:

Wow this match was so insane in second and third set (Amélie from 3:1 40:0 to 3:6, then 4:0 in third, 4:2 and BP Maria :scared: ) but fortunately Momo was able to win this rollercoaster. :drool:

Good luck versus Justine! :bounce:

PS: Thanks for the vcash. I'll soon be able to change my avatar! :crazy:

Barbarela
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I didn't saw the match live, only the live scores and the radio from wimbledon and i tell you....it was almost like being in the central court!!! :worship:
I even could ear Maria's grunts and the excitement of the two comentators!

Very good win, :worship: Amelie, you hanged when was more neaded so... I'm very happy! Even the loss of my Portugal team in world cup seams more bearable!!!! :lol:

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM
hablovah :hug: Congrats :)
Thanks Denise :hug:

I just saw the part again where momo screamed when she was trying to hold at *3-4 :haha::tape::crazy:

jacobruiz
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Great shots from both and congratulations to Amelie! I don't think she gets very nervous playing Maria, especially since Maria has never beaten her.

Keep getting better, Maria.:hearts: You got to the semis and took a set from Ame this time!:yeah: :kiss:

furrykitten
Unlucky again Maria but you played badly on the big day :sad: :hug:
Well done to Amelie

hablo
CONGRATS TO MOMO
She played solid, intelligent, nothing to add, the best won :bigclap:

Maria you really need to improve you volley if you wanna win another Wimbledon..or avoid to play Mauresmo :p
wow, gracious comments from MrKnowItAll in regards to Momo :crazy::awww::speakles::smooch:

Mightymirza
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM
well to be frank momo was luckey to pull this one thru..Sharpy just gifted it to her by her UEs...So many easy putaways missed...This wasnt a convincing victory at all..Anyways juju showed vulnerablility on serve as well ..Momo was moving well for sure tho...Best amongst all 4 of them..hope justine pulls a win again...

HAIL-VENUS
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Kool. I didn't think that I was up for it after Vee lost, but I'd like to see Amelie win the title :bounce:

Jasmin
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
It's over. Maria won't be a champion. I know I'm a bad fan but how many defeats can you take with belief :sad: How many times you can say that she is young and talented ? Bullshit.

It would be better for her to have a real coach, not only Yuri who helps her with screaming on her...

I'm not a fan by any means but it's so not over for Maria. Serena won her first slam in 99 and it took years before her next. I think Serena finally won again in 02. You never know.

well to be frank momo was luckey to pull this one thru..Sharpy just gifted it to her by her UEs...

This did help Momo because she got tight but if she would get her mental down should wouldn't need Maria's help to win.

xin_hui
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
well to be frank momo was luckey to pull this one thru..Sharpy just gifted it to her by her UEs......

then you can say sharapova was lucky it even went to a third the way amelie gifted her the 2nd set ;) has it occured to you sharapova's UEs could be due to the reason that amelie was fustrating her with VARIETY?

Libertango
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Big congrats to Amelie, she played a beautiful match, and fully deserves to be in the final. I'm glad she conquered her demons after the last two semi's, and came back after losing the 2nd set. :yeah: I hope she beats Justine in the final now!

Well fought Maria. :)

SharapovaFan16
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Maria still has until 07 to win her next slam then and only then can we say she may be a one slam wonder... if she doesn't win one in 07 fuck I'll say it and she's my favorite player... but have the interviews from the post match been posted anywhere yet?

jacobruiz
Yessss!!! I'm so glad Amelie shut that baboon up!

:rolleyes: Wonder how long he would last if it were anyone but Maria he was refering to.

Meesh
Congrats Amelie now please beat Justine!!!

hingis-seles
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Really horrible match, once Amelie went away. Up until then, Amelie was playing brilliantly. I'll bet Justine was laughing her head off while watching the third set.

Momo, you'd better win the final!!!

SJW
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:46 PM
You know, I always comment on how impressed I am with Amelie when she has a big win.
I'm glad she finally shook the Wimby semi-final demons...even I felt for her when Serena beat her two years ago :o
I hope she wins in the final. British people only care about tennis two weeks a year, so we need great and approachable champions to expose more to the sport. We've been lucky in that respect for a while, with champs such as the Williams Sisters and Sharapova the past few years. I really hope Mauresmo will save us all and continue that trend. She is in their league when it comes to giving brilliant interviews to the BBC.

Thauron
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM
A big congratulations to Mauresmo! Nice win, although a bit shaky in that second set. Awesome serve and volleying for most part of the match. I will be rooting for her in the finals!

Sharapova should really try some doubles - too bad there isn't such a stat as 'success with volleys' - I guess Sharapova's must have been around 3% :help:

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
You know, I always comment on how impressed I am with Amelie when she has a big win.
I'm glad she finally shook the Wimby semi-final demons...even I felt for her when Serena beat her two years ago :o
I hope she wins in the final. British people only care about tennis two weeks a year, so we need great and approachable champions to expose more to the sport. We've been lucky in that respect for a while, with champs such as the Williams Sisters and Sharapova the past few years. I really hope Mauresmo will save us all and continue that trend. She is in their league when it comes to giving brilliant interviews to the BBC.What did she say ? :lol:

Veritas
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Oh Maria, this is grass, a surface well fit for your fast-paced game though I guess Amelie's variety and slices continue to frustrate you no matter the venue :help:

On a brighter, it's the first time these two played a three-setter, and Maria's still young :)

I'm worried that Maria's becoming the new Myskina, in that the only top players she can consistently beat (besides Davenport) are her fellow Russians ranked in the top-10 :o

sapir1434
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I am just so happy right now. She did in one year (and still to go) what she didn't do in 7 years. A grand-slam final. So whatever will be the final result, I am proud of her. :worship:

Come on Amelie, just bring in the final all that you have. You have been waiting for that for so long!!! :hearts: Allez!

SharapovaFan16
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
i wouldn't stretch as far to say a Myskina thats a stretch... give her until the end of 07... if she hasn't won another SLAM or atleast made it to 2 finals whichever comes first write her off... deal?

RAA
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Kool. I didn't think that I was up for it after Vee lost, but I'd like to see Amelie win the title :bounce:

I hear ya..
but I managed to gear up for this match..
;)

Jasmin
i wouldn't stretch as far to say a Myskina thats a stretch... give her until the end of 07... if she hasn't won another SLAM or atleast made it to 2 finals whichever comes first write her off... deal?

Okay but wouldn't you still be a Maria fan?

Big Venus fan but win or lose I'm still a fan.

Ceze
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/ceze/293729-1249602-460-699.jpg :banana:

SJW
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
What did she say ? :lol:

She's just great to listen to. Even though English isn't her first language, she's so charming, the BBC love her. I think that's why she's so popular over here even though she hasn't won the title (yet).

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM

considering the strength of her serve on grass, maria didn't have the greatest 1st serve winning percentage. GO MOMO! =)

Libertango
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I agree SJW. Amelie and Kim are by far and away the most popular players over here. Even though she's supposed to be pretty impartial, you could tell Sue Barker was disappointed that Kim lost today. Amelie would definitely be a popular winner on Saturday.

FrenchY52
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Yeahhhh Amélie ! Your slices and your games' effects worked. Congrats ! YOU are the number1

tennisvulture
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Maria, you had your chances and it is only due to your impatience that you did not win those. How come you let that momentum switch so suddenly in the 3rd after having won 5 games in a row :mad: .. you are too good to allow that happen. still, it is a semi and we all know what that means in relation to Maria. Hope you get past it at the Open. I am sick of watching you exiting a Slam in the semis. Get your act together and start kicking some ass in 1/2 cause you are well capable of doing it. Head up Maria :yeah: .

Amelie, you latebloomer, nice win :worship: . now, please dont blow this chance away. I need you to impose your beautiful game on Saturday. rooting for ya girl...

SJW
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I agree SJW. Amelie and Kim are by far and away the most popular players over here. Even though she's supposed to be pretty impartial, you could tell Sue Barker was disappointed that Kim lost today. Amelie would definitely be a popular winner on Saturday.

No, I still think the Williamses and Sharapova have more fans.

RAA
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
considering the strength of her serve on grass, maria didn't have the greatest 1st serve winning percentage. GO MOMO! =)

I thought the same thing. even though she served at a high percentage, she didn't win nearly as many points on her first serve as she *should*, or *could* have. MOMO actually out served her - she served faster on both first and second serves than maria. and she won far more of her first serve points. now no one could have predicted THAT.

maryc
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
France should be very proud.

Mary

cara
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
That match was just awful : Sharapova was hardly able to put two successive balls in the court and Mauresmo was just here defending with boring slices and waiting for the errors... Really the women tennis is becoming less and less interesting since some months, there are no big battles anymore and the level is going down...
I've reached a point where i miss the matches between hingis and the williams sisters and i'm crossing the fingers to see soon some good ones because that was high level of tennis and that was why it was becoming so popular... And of course i miss the old ones with Graf, Seles and co... This season all the slams have been boring, no great matches to remember...
I hope that the finals will be better because today that was more a nerves question than a talent one.
I don't especially like Sharapova but in that match that was her the most tentative player but she has no plan game and can't do anything else except hitting 200% all the balls : she needs a coach... or a brain ... or both of them...
And Mauresmo, for one time in her career, managed to hold her nerves so great for her, but i still think that it was not great tennis today...

MinnyGophers
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Do not give up hope. Us Amelie fans know what you're feeling very well as we have felt it over and over and over again. But look where our girl is now. Sharapova still has time to grow, and hopefully she learned from her match today that she needs to be able to play with more variety instead of just power, if she wants to beat the like of Justine and Amelie.

jacobruiz
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
A big congratulations to Mauresmo! Nice win, although a bit shaky in that second set. Awesome serve and volleying for most part of the match. I will be rooting for her in the finals!

Sharapova should really try some doubles - too bad there isn't such a stat as 'success with volleys' - I guess Sharapova's must have been around 3% :help:

Actually 58% on net approaches, 22 of 38 which was better than Amelie's 52% on 17 of33. Maria was doing better than that in her first matches.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
That match was just awful : Sharapova was hardly able to put two successive balls in the court and Mauresmo was just here defending with boring slices and waiting for the errors... Really the women tennis is becoming less and less interesting since some months, there are no big battles anymore and the level is going down...
I've reached a point where i miss the matches between hingis and the williams sisters and i'm crossing the fingers to see soon some good ones because that was high level of tennis and that was why it was becoming so popular... And of course i miss the old ones with Graf, Seles and co... This season all the slams have been boring, no great matches to remember...
I hope that the finals will be better because today that was more a nerves question than a talent one.
I don't especially like Sharapova but in that match that was her the most tentative player but she has no plan game and can't do anything else except hitting 200% all the balls : she needs a coach... or a brain ... or both of them...
And Mauresmo, for one time in her career, managed to hold her nerves so great for her, but i still think that it was not great tennis today...

yah... mary, lindsay, & even capriati help keep it so interesting as well.
maybe US open will have a great final!! or at the very least, great semi finals! =)

manu32
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM

you are right....

Libertango
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I agree about the Williamses....Not so sure about Sharapova.

améliemomo
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
OUI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amélie is in the Finale of Wimbledon!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

after 3 loss in semis she finally reach this new level! :kiss:

well she will have to be focus for all the match against henin and stay agressive with a good % of 1st serve.

Allez Amé!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angel: :bounce:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I loved the fact that Amelie did an interview at her temporary home for the BBC. She seemed so nice and she was joking a lot. Considering she had this big semi final match, I thought it was pretty good for her to do that.

najad
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
well , that's for nothing unfortunately henin will beat her in finale :rolleyes: :tape:

cellophane
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Maria put up a a fantastic fight 4-0 down. Really went down swinging.

KBdoubleu
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:47 PM
nice job amelie!!!! show everyone you can beat a fully fit justine in the final!!

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
WHAT a match. coming from me who likes both players, amelie definitely deserved this win. hahaha when she skipped in the air, what a great win for her. best of luck to her to demolish justine in the final.

UDACHi
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
What the fucking fuck? :sobbing:

hingisGOAT
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
lol. amelie sure does know how to win ugly :barf:

honestly her matches against mykina and sharapova have contained the most nervous, disgusting, erroneous tennis seen in many, many years. henin will crush her soul in 40 minutes

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM

She finally closed it out! :eek: *faints*

Masha :sad: SF might become a mental block for you. :scared:

I choose to look at it this way. Semi finals, is where Maria by ranking and draws gets to meet the quality players on the tour. Not really a mental thing - they are just better.

Did you see the Match, Mauresmo was the better player, with more skill in her pinky.

Well done, well well done Amelie Mauresmo. You finally made it to the finals. You got me SOOOOO nervous after being broken after having had chances to get the double break - but you held it together, you held your nerve. Today was a battle of Mind versus Skill, and skill won the day. Very well done.

Good luck in the finals.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
lol. amelie sure does know how to win ugly :barf:

honestly her matches against mykina and sharapova have contained the most nervous, disgusting, erroneous tennis seen in many, many years. henin will crush her soul in 40 minutes

You obviously haven't seen the lives of Hantuchova and Likhotseva player. Amelie did get nervous, but that can happen when we want thinsg so bad. I got ense just watching her. She fought hard to beat the nerves, and to get into the lead.

And anything can happen in the final. Amelie will be the underdog out there, and this is not Paris. Let us see.

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Well, well...Maria turning into Lindsay D so soon in her career? Hmmm....congrats to Momo,FINALLY a wimbledon final for her. It helps not facing a Serena in the SF.

Now we get the rematch of the Oz open. Can Momo prove that her OZ open was no fluke? Stay tuned.

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Maria put up a a fantastic fight 4-0 down. Really went down swinging.

Well it was desparate swinging if you think about it. :tape:

Thauron
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Actually 58% on net approaches, 22 of 38 which was better than Amelie's 52% on 17 of33. Maria was doing better than that in her first matches.

Yeah, but that were probably about 20 smashes and the like and about 18 volleys... ;)

Marshmallow
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Our Amelie - 2 slam finals in the same year ... after people always used to say she was a choker. She had her wobble, but had too much talent.

*\o/* And i will tell you this, Amelie has a REAL chance in that final. Amelie must play smart and serve well - but she has a real good chance. But even if she doesn't win.... she made the finals and will hold on to her number one ranking some more.

:)

Drake1980
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!! What a Final!!!:banana:

new-york
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM

i would not have thought Momo would serve harder than Maria.
congrats Momo. :worship:

Dasha_
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Congrats Momo. I knew it. I'm just supprised you gave her that second set. Did you feel sorry for her?

And, thank you for the vCash (I put 500$ on Amelie to win this one).....

swiss
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:36 PM
:worship: i'm so happy :worship:
but Amélie be careful what an awful second set again :p
Maria has a very good fighting spirit, but must learn a lot of things about tennis and sportmanship :drool:

tterb
Jul 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Amelie :hearts: Excellent win, and finally into a Wimbledon final! :D

I'm not gonna lie, losing 5 games in a row after being 3-1 and 0-40 up on Sharapova's serve was nerve-racking. I just thought for sure it was happening again. But in the third set Amelie fought for it, cut down the unforced errors, and took back control of the match. It should give her tons of confidence that she didn't succumb to her nerves after losing that second set.

Hopefully now Amelie can experience the thrill of winning the last point of a grand slam final match! Good luck, Amelie - just keep believing in yourself and good things will happen. :yeah:

Jenny.C.Fan
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM
The way Ame pulled it back together after the 2nd set was amazing, the break she took worked perfectly and she managed to get her game back together, her performance was extremely brave and im absolutely delighted she made it to the wimby final. Ame was awesome in the 1st and 3 sets and fully deserved the victory and to be in the final. Sharapova's grunting at times in that match was disgraceful, she should've been warned, its not even grunting anymore its screeching its unfair and unsportsmanlike and i can't understand why she get's away with it, its legalized cheating and it needs to be stopped. Congrats Ame, now go get revenge in the final. Allez Ame. :)

scoobsuk
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
There's a reason Amelie has beaten Maria the three times they've played, and that's because Maria cannot cope with the variety she gets from Amelie when Amelie is playing well. We saw Mauresmo throw in some tricky slices here and then and of course the volleying at times too. Maria has to generate a lot of her own pace and dig the ball up and time and time again she wasn't able to make it aggressive enough, and because she couldn't get into a rhythm on the groundstrokes, she would often eventually spray the ball out or into the net.

Amelie played a terrible second set after being 1-3 0-40 up - she totally froze in the headlights - again. What was different this time was that she was able to stabilise after the second set, recompose herself and, after a slightly wobbly start, play much better again in the third set, reverting to the tactics than won her the first, but which she abandoned in the second set as she started to think about the final.

Maria - well - you can't argue she didn't try to change things up - she did - she spent far more time at the net than I can ever recall in this match. Unfortunately her volleys were clearly not in any sort of groove - she made a couple of nice ones but the amount that went wrong was too high, and often on pressure points.

Even so, she couldn't find enough consistency with her groundstrokes today and was almost as tight as Amelie in that third set. She let Amelie off the hook a little bit when there was just the sense that, like in the second set, Maria was going to coming storming back as Amelie fell at the final hurdle. Credit to Mauresmo for not repeating her mistakes of the second set. Under huge pressure the serve held up much better and the play was more aggressive, and eventually she won through.

I think this is where the experience of the YEC and the Australian *did* really help her. It's the first time I've seen her regroup and refocus in a real pressure situation like she did today and it should do her the power of good for the future. Regardless of the outcome of the final, she's gone one better and won a tough battle with herself.

Go out on Saturday, Amelie, and relax, and play your best. Your record against Justine is very even and you have weapons to trouble her. She will be very nervous too - she wants this title very badly. Enjoy the occasion because you've earned the right to be there. Best of luck.

Ceze
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Amelie :hearts: Excellent win, and finally into a Wimbledon final! :D

I'm not gonna lie, losing 5 games in a row after being 3-1 and 0-40 up on Sharapova's serve was nerve-racking. I just thought for sure it was happening again. But in the third set Amelie fought for it, cut down the unforced errors, and took back control of the match. It should give her tons of confidence that she didn't succumb to her nerves after losing that second set.

Hopefully now Amelie can experience the thrill of winning the last point of a grand slam final match! Good luck, Amelie - just keep believing in yourself and good things will happen. :yeah:ditto :worship:

crazillo
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Amelie :)

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
im not a big fan of mauresmo but im so pleased she pulled this one off

after being 6-3 3-1 40-0 up and blowing it i thought it was all over but credit to her she got her head together

i was a bit disappointed by sharapova though-in this tourney she hasnt played as well as the commentators make out and it showed
in the 3rd set mauresmo was still struggling-not as much as in the 2nd set but still you could tell she was tense-masha had to play solid tennis but instead she was going for winners off everything and coming to net way too much considering her volleys arent great

the double faults she did were inexcusable-mauresmos returns were 98% blocks, so passive + not making amelie serve for it was shocking

*Jean*
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I'm so happy and so proud...We have seen a real number one today, struggling but winning by managing to pull down her opponent...strong victory...It seems that Amélie is now used to win Slams :p

scoobsuk
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I disagree about Mauresmo's blocking and chipping the ball back being a bad tactic and defensive. I thought this was very sensible indeed.

For one, Amelie has a very long takeback on her groundstrokes which means she is apt to mistime the return if she takes a full-blooded swing at the return. We saw this a lot against Myskina, she wasn't getting a good enough number of balls back into play off the serve, which for Myskina isn't all that special.

Blocking or slicing the return back is good grasscourt tennis as it takes advantage of the relatively low bounce off the grass, forcing the incoming server to hit up. This is something Sharapova can struggle with - midcourt balls staying low. She tends not to slice these balls but tries to go over then and the results can be erratic.

Another reason why it was a good tactic against Maria is that it forces her to generate all her own pace. Sharapova loves to take a pacey shot and use that pace against the opponent. Again, generating her own pace on the ball and still getting a deep, aggressive shot can be difficult for her and the results can be erratic.

I thought this was spot-on from Amelie and I was glad to see her do much more of this against Maria than she did against Anastacia.

If she'd tried hard, pacey topspin returns, we know what would have happened - Amelie would have missed a fair few, and the ones she made...well we just have to look at Maria's match against Dementieva to see the results there. In a battle of crunching topspin groundstrokes on both wings wherever you are in the court, there's only going to be one winner. That's Maria's game, not Amelie's, and Amelie was tactically very smart not to try and beat Maria at that style of play at all.

hablo
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I disagree about Mauresmo's blocking and chipping the ball back being a bad tactic and defensive. I thought this was very sensible indeed.

For one, Amelie has a very long takeback on her groundstrokes which means she is apt to mistime the return if she takes a full-blooded swing at the return. We saw this a lot against Myskina, she wasn't getting a good enough number of balls back into play off the serve, which for Myskina isn't all that special.

Blocking or slicing the return back is good grasscourt tennis as it takes advantage of the relatively low bounce off the grass, forcing the incoming server to hit up. This is something Sharapova can struggle with - midcourt balls staying low. She tends not to slice these balls but tries to go over then and the results can be erratic.

Another reason why it was a good tactic against Maria is that it forces her to generate all her own pace. Sharapova loves to take a pacey shot and use that pace against the opponent. Again, generating her own pace on the ball and still getting a deep, aggressive shot can be difficult for her and the results can be erratic.

I thought this was spot-on from Amelie and I was glad to see her do much more of this against Maria than she did against Anastacia.

If she'd tried hard, pacey topspin returns, we know what would have happened - Amelie would have missed a fair few, and the ones she made...well we just have to look at Maria's match against Dementieva to see the results there. In a battle of crunching topspin groundstrokes on both wings wherever you are in the court, there's only going to be one winner. That's Maria's game, not Amelie's, and Amelie was tactically very smart not to try and beat Maria at that style of play at all.Good post. Also Momo forced Sharpie to play at net ;)

scoobsuk
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Good point - some of Amelie's short slices were dragging Maria into the court and forcing her to defend the net position and she had some success up there but not enough to feel like that was a winning play for her.

pimpie
Jul 6th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Congrats to amelie :yeah: hope you can beat justine in the final
Amelie was just too good for maria

maria :sad: you didn't win today but I know someday you can lift up that trophy again
You just have to work on your damn volleys, their ugly as hell man :p
But anyways good tourney as you didn't play a lot of matches before

jonny84
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:17 PM
:bigclap: Amelie. It was a rollercoaster ride but you made it!

Andy.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well done Maria on having a great tournament, Im a little gutted right now. Well done to Amelie on playing a good match.

Lulu.
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I don't care who beat the screaming russian.. I just didn't want her to win. Thank you Amelie.

Thats excatly how I felt!

Congrats Amelie :)

cometz9
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Momo :woohoo: :banana: i'm so glad you won, when i called my sis for the scores, she was up 3-1 in the 2nd and 15 min later she lost 3-6 :retard: but later my sis text me and said "Momo won" i was so happy. I was so nervous for her when i was in class, great that she pulled thru :yeah: but Justine is next :scared:

Gerri
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:42 PM
My nerves were totally shot to pieces after that match :lol: So pleased she got there eventually. :woohoo: And God she can jump :eek:

~CANUCK~
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Congrats Momo, you really impressed me today. To bad Maria :sad:, you had a good run, now just get your game together for hardcourts.

Yellow Flag

Scotso
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I tried to post after the match but couldn't access the boards :p

Allez Amelie! :bounce:

take the title :D

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Maria :sad: :sad: :sad:

Congrats Amelie :kiss: :)

Linnie
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Amélie you had me :banghead: :shout: during the second set, but you did it! :worship: :kiss: :hug:

Now go for the dish! :angel: :D

vettipooh
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Congrats Momo!!! :bounce: :bounce: wtg taking down the shrieker!!! I'm watching the match again.......now on espn, and Momo's making way too many ufe's in set 2. Sharapova's lifted her game, detemined to take the 2nd. Amelie just screamed so loud, scared the shit otta me!!!! :lol: She was just ubelievably brillant in 3rd set. Wanted Momo vs kim, but I'll have to settle.....as long as Amelie holds up the winner's trophy!!! Go Momo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

star
Jul 7th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I thought she would lose after that second set...glad I was wrong :D

SelesFan70
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Way to hang in there, Amelie...I guess :unsure:

Maria...HIT THE FRICKIN' BALL! STOP ALL THAT SLICE FOREHAND CRAP! :(

Dan23
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:27 AM
my third attempt to post in here...hopefully the forum works this time :o

Congrats Amelie :cool:

nice effort Masha, cant go places with 40 UE's...against so few from Amelie. Good to see her having the courage to stick to her plan to work on moving forward and trying things in big matches even when things arent going well. Theres improvement to be made but things will look up.

Veeko
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Well done momo

Sharapova's_Boy
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Masha :sad:

VivalaSeles
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I'm thrilled Amélie won :D :D :D She fully deserves to be in another GS Final :D :D A true number 1 :D :D :D

Prizeidiot
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Good on Amelie... I have to admit, I wrote her off after she blew that second set.

But she recovered well, and was definitely the better player

spudrsca
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Maria's volley are disastrous. She never blocked her wrist.

genius
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM
The media would do well to take note that sharapova may remain at or near the top but is never goin to be a dominant player or the next graf.

The way she has been elevated to such super status without having the talent of a federer ,i would be pretty scared in her shoes for living up to the expectations.. Because she is goin to win much less than Federer even in the weaker women's tour.

Talula
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM
The media would do well to take note that sharapova may remain at or near the top but is never goin to be a dominant player or the next graf.
The way she has been elevated to such super status without having the talent of a federer ,i would be pretty scared in her shoes for living up to the expectations.. Because she is goin to win much less than Federer even in the weaker women's tour.
Some said she was the next Monica. :lol: :lol: Even Monica tipped her to win multiple slams. But that was when Monica had her bad foot and she was probably under medication. Maria will never be up there with Monica or even Fraulein Forehand. I agree, yesterday was a warning shot to the media - and some sponsors!

Dan23
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Not necessarily so...it might just be more of a reminder for them to forget the crap and listen more to what Maria herself has been saying all along.

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2006, 06:38 AM
All i have to say to conclude is that im very proud of what Masha was able to do this tournament and i have to say too good from Amelie but well fought from Masha

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Maria is an EXCELLENT player and a REAL role model as to what young teen girls should be. She's not going to lose endorsements just because she's not #1 or doesn't have a career grand slam? Hell she got all of those endorsements for winning ONE tournament, and despite not tasting slam glory for the past 2 years (so far), she HAS managed to win at least 1 tier I tourney a year (a REAL accomplishment) and has played in 2 consecutive YEC ....so...hey guys, relax. Next time you look down on her for reaching the semis of a slam, take your racquet and your parent, and play against the best players in the world, with the PRESSURE of the world on your shoulders and see if you can get through 6 matches, losing only 1!

Congrats Masha, shake off the haters like dandruff: UGLY and USLESS!

Good Luck on Saturday Amelie!

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Maria is an EXCELLENT player and a REAL role model as to what young teen girls should be. She's not going to lose endorsements just because she's not #1 or doesn't have a career grand slam? Hell she got all of those endorsements for winning ONE tournament, and despite not tasting slam glory for the past 2 years (so far), she HAS managed to win at least 1 tier I tourney a year (a REAL accomplishment) and has played in 2 consecutive YEC (something that not even the Williamses have done [although for different reasons])....so...hey guys, relax. Next time you look down on her for reaching the semis of a slam, take your racquet and your parent, and play against the best players in the world, with the PRESSURE of the world on your shoulders and see if you can get through 6 matches, losing only 1!

Congrats Masha, shake off the haters like dandruff: UGLY and USLESS!

Good Luck on Saturday Amelie!
:worship: :angel: :D :bigclap: :clap2: :hug: :bowdown:

Kunal
Jul 7th, 2006, 07:29 AM
congrats amelie

genius
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Next time you look down on her for reaching the semis of a slam, take your racquet and your parent, and play against the best players in the world, with the PRESSURE of the world on your shoulders and see if you can get through 6 matches, losing only 1!

A totally misguided comment. She is measured by the standards of top female tennis player.That's how it is. Get over it

Equally can Maria last mins with some of the more skilled/inteligent people on their subject/fields? It works the other way too.

The point is the media coverage she has is just a bit disproportional to the talent she has and she is going to struggle to live up to the same. Its only bad for her.not me!

marmite1
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Amelie :yeah:

rrfnpump
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Maria struggled way too much on her serve
she did not have a single easy service game in the entire match :o

yippee, another ruined GS finals :rolleyes:

Dasha_
Jul 7th, 2006, 08:30 AM
After yesterday, Sharapova should really be very much affraid and very of Vaidisova!!!!!

mila_mail
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I Don't Think Sharapova Can Win A Slam Again

sapir1434
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
:awww:

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM
After yesterday, Sharapova should really be very much affraid and very of Vaidiosava!!!!!
Why exactly ?

pimpie
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:36 AM

uhm look at amelie
Maria has a lot of time

FedExpress
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Because...? What's the reason for this sentence?

tennislover
Jul 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
poor Masha...

anyway she is so young and given tha level of current top players.......

galadriel
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Amelie :bounce: :bounce:

flyingmachine
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM

forever_rafter
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM

you are in win or win situation on Saturday, aren't you mate? ;)