PDA

View Full Version : Interesting interview with Anatoli Glebov (Marat's trainer)

Jessi
May 30th, 2002, 04:15 AM
From Russian magazine "Tennis +" April 2002
By I.Voronina.
Glebov and Safin

-In Australia Marat has decided to warm up without shirt for some unknown reasons. Temperature +38, radioactive sun. Even Australians (Hewitt, Rafter) always play in shirts, use sun block cream: afraid of sun burn or be affected by heat.
-I've Mentioned it to Marat but he wasn't happy with my remarks. He is very sensitive towards any kind of instructions. May be he would listen if this comments came from Chesnokov or Wilander. So as result - overheating (Later realized I was right). But no use to insist on something before match. So I was hoping for the better - he is young guy, may be it will be OK. First set he holdl up but later started to feel weakness in his legs. Even blamed me: "What have you done to me, too much of stretching, I can't move!"
Of course we were lucky it started to rain. I've calmed him down and brought for massage, even he didn't want to. We are working with him not long ago and he still doesn't know a lot of things. I've explained to him that there are no harm as I'm going to do light, not deep massage (so call "pre start," like for sprinters). He agreed only after seeing Haas going for massage too. Seems masseur of Haas made mistake and done it too deep. And he became too relaxed.
Marat came to Australia with shoulder pain and right after flu. He has been using antibiotics prescribed by doctor from Switzerland. But surprisingly he recovers very fast. We did some pharmacological correction - rehabilitation massage, physio, plus vitamins, drinks...By the way in such cases must be very careful and check list of banned medications. When I'm not travelling with Marat, always telling him: "Even headache pills can be dangerous - sometimes there are restricted ingredients. Pay attention!"

-Do you usually give him first aid kit?
-I've tried but it is no use. Either will lose it or throw it away - just such type of person.

-Some people mentioned that in Australia Marat "forgotten" not only about shirt but hat as well?
-Yes. He feels it disturb him. But he realized it not possible to play without hat in such heat. So he took one, did some sewing, cut visor, draw adidas lines. Great designer's talent wasted! Later this hat to me as a present. What I like about Marat - his mentality, it suits well especially for sports: easily getting fired up, doesn't care about authority - player, if to describe in one word.

-But there are comment that his mentality is his biggest problem - if match going his way, he wins. If not - getting irritated and giving up?
-Anthing possible. He is still young, not always able to control emotions like Agassi, Sampras, Kafelnikov.
But I think he is able to do it. I wish him to find a right coach. And I think it would be better if this person is from Russia. Hope his managers can help him with it.

-Why did he stop working with Chesnokov?
-Andrei is a great guy, good coach, they click well. But happened what is quite common - wife interrupted (same as Medvedev and Dolgopolov). Out of blue trying to manage things but this is men's business. I've told wife of Dolgopolov we can bring Medvedev to his old level again if she not going to interrupt. He could play until now but it didn't happen. Bringing kids to court during training, diverting attention...It's a pity that Marat has stop working with Chesnokov - this is my personal opinion.

the cat
May 30th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks Jessi! :wavey: How did you find this article from Tennis + and then translate it? :confused:

I like Marat. But it's too bad he's so stubborn and unprofessional! :sad: His attitude will cost him a great career! :mad:

Jessi, if there are more articles from Tennis + on Russian tennis and Russian tennis players, we would certainly appreciate you posting them with English translation! You're an Angel for posting this very interesting article! :angel: Thanks! :kiss:

Jessi
May 31st, 2002, 05:58 AM
You're very welcome, the cat!:D I'm glad you found the interview interesting! Actually, I found it on MaratSafin.com's Forum! The interview was translated by a Russian fan who posts there.

Yes, of course, if i find any more interesting articles or interviews about Marat, i will make sure to post them here! :)

the cat
May 31st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Thanks Jessi, you are a dear! :kiss: You are a dear, aren't you? ;)

Jessi, in order to send or receive PM's, you need to activate your PM box.

Jessi
May 31st, 2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by the cat
Thanks Jessi, you are a dear! :kiss: You are a dear, aren't you? ;)

Jessi, in order to send or receive PM's, you need to activate your PM box.

Done!:D

BTW, i found this on Marat's website today:

"By decree of Russian president, Marat was awarded with an order of "Friendship of Nations." Before two other tennis players got the same honor - Chesnokov and Kafelnikov."

Congrats Marat!:D :D

the cat
May 31st, 2002, 11:47 PM
Congratulations Marat! :bounce: I'm pleased to see him receive some good publicity! :angel:

ys
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:28 AM
Just received the mail with "Tennis +" , issues 2-4 of this year (could read this interview also) . The magazine is actually rather good. A lof of good pics, good interviews, articles, a lot of information you probably won't find anywhere else.. I liked the cover of #3..:)