PDA

View Full Version : Where is Ana Heading?

Langers
Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
Quite possibly the most disappointing performance Iíve seen from Ana. She was simply pathetic today, and this may sound harsh but I see very little, if any, improvements that have taken place in her game for quite some time.

I raised the issue of her movement a few months ago and a few people said that it wasnít such a big deal; well Iím afraid itís a huge deal and until she works on it she wonít get anywhere. How many times today did she lose her footing, and stumble around the court? How many times was she out of position when retrieving balls or when trying to load up for a winner? Far too many times. And I have no idea why she continues to come into net when itís painfully obvious that she doesnít have quick movement of her feet, which is a disaster for anyone trying to play at net.

She also attempts far, far too many winners. She often doesnít even bother getting into the rallies, she is satisfied to try and blast her opponent off the court from the return of serve. There is no excuse as to why every second serve is not returned, yet Ana loses concentration and doesnít bother getting into the rally.
She also doesnít appear to have any variation of her shots; itís all out attack or nothing. No slices, no loopy balls, nothing, itís far too predictable.

Until she obtains a coach that stresses the important of fitness and movement, then I canít see her making any significant inroads into the top 10. She needs to have more patience and set up more points instead of constantly trying to out hit her opponent. Sheís got all the tools to be a great player, a massive forehand, a great serve and a good backhand, but sheís not putting it all together which is a shame. Not a bad tournament, but yet against she fails to take that extra stepÖ

azdaja
Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
are there any news about her new coach?

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Keeping in mind she doesn't really have a coach now and people have said the coach she use to have wasn't very good at helping her improve!

I have been a fan since the first point I saw her play, but that was only January this year, so I am still kinda learning her game & it looks like I missed all the good stuff from last year! :sad:

But everything you said there is true, she needs to improve movement, focus/belief, and 1st serve %, as well as play smart... She is very intelligent, but she just needs to convert that too the court, but I think because she knows how powerful she is, she believes that will be enough, possibly even wants it to be coz if she hits a clean winner right off the bat then she what have her movement picked on...

Ana is also a stubborn one, so although she does realise what she does wrong and what needs to improved on, she probably doesn't respond well to others telling her that and trying to get her to change it... But she is still young (which I know pisses people of when that is said) but it is true, she has plenty of time to work on things and she is no where near her peak... There is still a lot to come from Ana I believe, but it will take time and until she gets a new, solid coach who can break her stubbornness (I could do it, being stubborn myself :p), she will be hitting a brick wall a lot, like now!

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I'm tired! :p

Dexter
Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
she's heading to the pracitice court... that's for sure...

Joana
Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
are there any news about her new coach?

She didn't reveal the name, just said they'll start working together after Wimbledon.

It's frustrating, she has all the tools, it's just the matter of putting them all together...

azdaja
Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
She didn't reveal the name, just said they'll start working together after Wimbledon.
why so much secrecy? and she should announce her schedule for the second half of the year already. we only know she entered san diego.

Dexter
Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
why so much secrecy? and she should announce her schedule for the second half of the year already. we only know she entered san diego.she entered LA too and last year she said she is looking forward to playing Rogers Cup in Montreal so I expect her to play there too...

G~Playa
Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Hope shes headin in the right direction

ezekiel
Jul 4th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Quite possibly the most disappointing performance Iíve seen from Ana. She was simply pathetic today, and this may sound harsh but I see very little, if any, improvements that have taken place in her game for quite some time.

I raised the issue of her movement a few months ago and a few people said that it wasnít such a big deal; well Iím afraid itís a huge deal and until she works on it she wonít get anywhere. How many times today did she lose her footing, and stumble around the court? How many times was she out of position when retrieving balls or when trying to load up for a winner? Far too many times. And I have no idea why she continues to come into net when itís painfully obvious that she doesnít have quick movement of her feet, which is a disaster for anyone trying to play at net.

She also attempts far, far too many winners. She often doesnít even bother getting into the rallies, she is satisfied to try and blast her opponent off the court from the return of serve. There is no excuse as to why every second serve is not returned, yet Ana loses concentration and doesnít bother getting into the rally.
She also doesnít appear to have any variation of her shots; itís all out attack or nothing. No slices, no loopy balls, nothing, itís far too predictable.

Until she obtains a coach that stresses the important of fitness and movement, then I canít see her making any significant inroads into the top 10. She needs to have more patience and set up more points instead of constantly trying to out hit her opponent. Sheís got all the tools to be a great player, a massive forehand, a great serve and a good backhand, but sheís not putting it all together which is a shame. Not a bad tournament, but yet against she fails to take that extra stepÖ

Unfortunatelly her carreer is not going anywhere right now but mediocrity. Don't listen to these "everything is fine" posters as they are not worth the time . Why be a fan if you don't care about her game and results or can't express it :confused:

Anyway as I've said before , she is a bit confused, lacking confidence and lacking goals and ambition. It's obvious watching her that she is not there mentally. Now no matter how talented you are if you lacking above mentioned things you can't perform well. Talent is only about 50% of the package. And yes, she plays very brainless right now because she is not there mentally

What she needs is someone to wake her up and turn her around so to speak . Just someone who will push her becasue she needs to be pushed . Obviously it all depends on her in the end. I am just flabbergasted at her lack of competitivness though. She plays the lightest schedule possible and after some bad losses instead of getting serious and coming back , she just takes them in stride. She can't get in shape unless she plays full schedule and then some. She is too stubborn right now for her own good .
After another easy beating by Amelie , she said "she is happy" with her performance . That is very telling . I bet there is no one in her circle to set her straight and set her standards. There is nothing stopping her to her potential and successful tennis career but herself . Until she realizes that and starts to get serious in her fitness and form, she will continue to struggle like she has this year.

ezekiel
Jul 4th, 2006, 03:55 PM
she's heading to the pracitice court... that's for sure...

and you know this because ... she says so?

I am saying this because she said so all year and her fitness and form is not getting better at all.

And what good is the practice court, she is a pro, she is not playing against pros on the practice court

azdaja
Jul 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM
i don't mind fans who are "critical" about a player, but how will their discussions help anyone? :confused: and how is ana's schedule "light"? she plays only the biggest tournaments. she could have played more, perhaps, but she has had 2 injuries over past 12 months, so that's understandable. by the end of the year she should have 20+ tournaments under her belt and that's alright as far as i can tell.

as for the rest, let's see if her new coach will help her improve.

usatoffeefan
Jul 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM
i have noticed that she really does need to work on her positioning... but honestly when you arent used to doing those tiny adjustments they are hard to work into your game... she obviously needs to be fitter as well. hopefully she will also learn to mix things up...

~lollipop_girl~
Jul 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I don't think I said this before, but she is always flat footed and thats why her movement is so bad, she needs to stay on her toes and keep moving all the time, even if just waiting for the ball she needs to be on her toes and bouncing!

ezekiel
Jul 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I don't think I said this before, but she is always flat footed and thats why her movement is so bad, she needs to stay on her toes and keep moving all the time, even if just waiting for the ball she needs to be on her toes and bouncing!

I noticed that also, she is carrying additional weight , not much but enough to hamper her performance . Above all it's a matter of motivation and ambition and for that she needs someone else to push her

Langers
Sep 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
She is only minutes away from losing to Olga Poutchkova.

I know she's recently won a Tier 1 title, but is she actually moving forward? She had another average run during the US Open, and now she might suffer this terrible loss. Did we jump the gun in regards to her progress? I'm having my doubts...

Langers
Sep 28th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Questions need to be asked?

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Questions need to be asked?
Again...