PDA

View Full Version : Edmond,Oklahoma 10k report from Thursday(dewonder davis, Glatch, etc.)

selesfan1
Jun 30th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Well, I arrived and I must say I was quite bored when I arrived however, that would soon end. I talked to Bunny Williams for a while and to Missy as well, the tour directors/supervisors. I went out and Alexa Glatch was playing Ella Nze. I must say glatch has a very solid game , has very solid variety of shots, I didn't see any shot that impressed me as THE ONE but all of them were fairly good. I was particularly interested in her because she is ranked 262 and then mext player here is around 500. Alexa's shot selection was good. She had a hiccup at 2-1 in the second where she served 3 double faults. Nze could just not get into the match at all she kept hitting shots into the net. I got kind of annoyed at her because Glatch wasn't really playing great, not like the score indicated.Ella seemed nice enough though.

I was really on a mission today to talk to Biffy Kaufmann. Her coach, Angelica Gavaldon is one of my faves and I want to invite Angelica to my university for a big event we have each year. So I started my quest to find her I asked the girl next to me if she knew who Biffy was and if she could point her out to me.She said she was sorry that she didn't know her . So I asked if she was a palyer and she said yes, I asked her name and she said Magdalena eckert and that she was from Poland so i decided just to chat to her for a bit. We talked about Poland at the world Cup. How she wants to try her hand at the pros in tennis for a while before deciding to go to College. She trains at van Der Meer's in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. We talked about the state of tennis in Poland. About her hometown of Sopot. She was really nice and very surprised that I knew of the Radwanska sisters. She says she knows them. She started playing when she was 10 and is now 18. Seems a bit late but if she's at van Der Meer's she must have some sort of talent right? very nice girl, I gave her the name of the website. Her favorite players are kim and she thinks it's ridiculous she is even thinking of retiring. She also thinks Belgium in the future will be a European tennis powerhouse.

So I see 2 girls talking and head over to them. It turns out they are Micaela Kissell and Lindsay Jones. Lindsay is ranked in the 1000's and Micale isn't but won matches in the quallies here. Micaela knows who biffy is and points her out to me . So I talk to them for a bit and ask them about Mirjana Lucic and neither of them knows who she is, Lindsay says the name sounds familiar but that's it. I ask them about Mirjana's money predicament after I explained it and they agreed with her to my surprise. Saying that the $1500 you win doesn't even cover a week's expense and that really you need about $200,000 to go out comfortably.

Biffy comes off the practice court and I stop her and she is so nice. We talk and she says let me go and change and we'll talk , so I go and sit down at a table, a player comes next to me and sits and then i get up to get some water. After I returned, there was a player who sat on the other side of my chair so my chair was in the middle. I walked by and said excuse me and she gave me a dirty look. She should have known someone was sitting there cos my backpack was there but anyhow, I said are you playing and she said YEAH, I played the quallies an dlooks all pissed so I was like well forget you. She was wearing a Don't Mess With Texas shirt, and I am like you really have nerve to wear that in Oklahoma.

Biffy comes and fetches me a I explain what we'd like her and Angelica to come for. She gave me her contact info. She mentioned Angelica has expressed interest in playing doubles at some events with her. She also mentioned Angelica doesn't coach the Abdala sisters anymore. During this same time Lindsay Nelson finished her match and comes over.They make plans to go to Panera Bread for Lunch.We continue talking and Biffy asks to see the notes I was taking. Now here was the problem, some players came up behind me during the Glatch-Nze match and said gosh, look at her she's so skinny , I'd hate to see her fall over, whtever that meant but they said it so i think biffy was confused. I tried to explaing why I took those notes the way I did and about the site but it seemed she was in a hurry so she said shoot me an email and tell her about it. I really hope she doesn't think those are my personal thoughts.

So, I knew the most famous player there when I saw her. She was listening to Whitney Houston on a Cd player and was exactly as how she'd been described wearing a Bandana with shirt braids. it was Ms. Dewonder Davis, I went and sat next to her becasue she was in the shaded area. An older lady came by and offerd her some infor on halth supplements and things like that appraently they had met earlier and the lady had offered her a few things for Dewonder.After the lady talked I said "You're Dewonder Davis Right?"and she said yes, how'd you know?

me- Oh, I've read about you
her- really, waht?
me, oh how you're one of the older players on tour
her, Yeah, I can't help my age, I love to play.

After she said that and the way she said it It all made sense about why she contineus to play.

She is seriously the nicest person we talked about Alabama, even how ym dogs were getting spayed, my college classes, She is so analytical and a good observer. She says her goal is to play a clean match. We talked about the differences at the 10K level and the main tour she said the following. At the 10k level you either hit 3 feet over the net and to the corner, 6 feet over the next and to the corner or 9 feet over the next and to the corner. She said, on the main tour you can do all three and have it flat and with spin and on the backhand side and the forehand.So apparently she believes you have more tools as a higher ranked player. She metinoend that she thought Nicole Kris was one of the better players and that many of the players didn't take risks and that many had similar shot technique and that perhaps if they experimented they could do better. She would be a good coach IMO.We talked for about 30 minute and we were just having the best time.Until i left she metioned she is leaving for Southlake tomorrow so I wished her a great and safe trip and she said I really hope to meet you again sometime. I really had a good time.

EXTRA NOTES

Shona Lee had to be treated during her loss to elena gantcheva I don't know from what but the trainer came on the court and Shona tapped her left knee, then her right knee, and then her hip.So I imagine it had something to do with that.

Does anyone have any specific questions?

AUSBOY
Jun 30th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the insightful report!! Love the Challenger/Satellite reports the best!!

Glad that Dewonder recognises Nicole Kriz is very talented!

Louis Cyphre
Jun 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Did you watch Gancheva vs Lee Match?