PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody here like Tori Amos?

Pheobo
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Sure, she's a pretentious bitch, and sure, she's pretty much full of shit, but she's so amazing! :hearts: Those lyrics...the sexiness...the piano playing...*orgasm*

Anyone else feel this way? :) I think that Under The Pink is her best CD but most Tori fans disagree.

Barrie_Dude
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Yes, I like her!

cellophane
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Dude, you are on a gay board. ;)

I have to say that most of the time I do think "she's a pretentious bitch, and sure, she's pretty much full of shit". ;) I have liked some stuff though.

Pheobo
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Dude, you are on a gay board. ;)

I have to say that most of the time I do think "she's a pretentious bitch, and sure, she's pretty much full of shit". ;) I have liked some stuff though.

I dunno man...some of these people have such horrible taste in music...It's hard to tell.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM
I dunno man...some of these people have such horrible taste in music...It's hard to tell.
Horrible taste in music like what? I'm a Tori Amos fan. Her latest album Beekeeper wasn't too bad. I'm more of a fan of her earlier work, the stuff from the 90s.

I have her book. I stopped after the first chapter though. I could it much forcast it as the modern day Pocahontas.

Pheobo
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Horrible taste in music like what? I'm a Tori Amos fan. Her latest album Beekeeper wasn't too bad. I'm more of a fan of her earlier work, the stuff from the 90s.

I have her book. I stopped after the first chapter though. I could it much forcast it as the modern day Pocahontas.

I don't think I would read a book by her. She's a little too...well, I said it in my first post.

Horrible taste as in the mindless pop with minimal, redundant lyrics.

I'm not a big fan of Beekeeper, but all the die-hard Tori fans I know say that the tracks from that album sound a lot better live than on the CD.

tterb
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Honestly, I don't know enough of her stuff, but from what I do know, she can come off a bit pretentious. However, I absolutely love her song "Winter." Maybe I should listen to more of her earlier work.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Honestly, I don't know enough of her stuff, but from what I do know, she can come off a bit pretentious. However, I absolutely love her song "Winter." Maybe I should listen to more of her earlier work.
I LOVE Winter. It has some powerful lyrics. The accompiment is just amazing and the vocals are perfect.

zut16
Jun 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Sure, she's a pretentious bitch, and sure, she's pretty much full of shit, but she's so amazing! :hearts: Those lyrics...the sexiness...the piano playing...*orgasm*

Anyone else feel this way? :) I think that Under The Pink is her best CD but most Tori fans disagree.

Well, I'm one of those who disagree about Under The Pink - I think Boys for Pele is probably her best work although Under The Pink comes pretty darn close. 'Blood Roses' and 'The Doughnut Song' from that album are pretty much some of her best songs in my opinion....

Listening to Tori really got me hooked onto piano songs - you listen to some of her earlier works and you realize that it had a lot of solo intros and interludes with the piano which you'll never find in The Beekeeper.

Her book's not all pretentious. She has some pretty revealing stuff on her miscarriages and on the music industry - I pretty much skip a lot of the spiritual stuff in the book....

You know what? I'm obsessed with 'Yes, Anastasia' as of now - I love the fact that it could exist separately as 2 songs but somehow, the 2 parts of the songs really work well together....

rebel_ffighter
Jun 20th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I like her music a lot!

katiektc
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I ADORE Tori Amos. Her stuff is amazing, and I don't think she is either 'pretentious' or 'full of shit', just very very talented ;)

My favourite song of hers is 'Tear in Your Hand'

[S@nti]
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Was she the one who sang "Don't cha" first?

marmite1
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I love tori amos :)

Beat
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
my favourite albums are "boys for pele" and "from the choirgirl hotel".
i detested "the beekeeper".

Beat
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
']Was she the one who sang "Don't cha" first?
huh?

fnuf7
Jun 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I *love* Tori! :hearts: :worship: She's one of my top artists of all time :) The piano playing alone is worth buying her albums :worship:

My favourite albums of hers are probably either Under The Pink, Little Earthquakes, Boys For Pele, although I also actually love her latest one The Beekeeper :hearts: Maybe there's a few more hit-and-miss tracks on it but in my opinion the good songs on the album are great songs :D In fact all her albums are amazing and worth buying ;)

controlfreak
Jun 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I find her piano playing can be a little too convoluted and chaotic for my liking. I'd prefer it if she played a bit more direct and melodic - a bit more Carole King. The worst songs are the ones where she doesn't have any other musicians to reign her in. And performance-wise, she can be a little too "look at me I'm being transported to a higher plane and I'm having sex with my piano". I like my musicians to be more humble. Damien Rice is an artist who has the same problem.

Dahveed
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Okay, where shall i start!

I adore Tori Amos, she is amazing! There is no album i don't like (even Beekeeper i tolerate ;)), just a few songs i never warmed up to but i have nearly every song she has released.

I fell in love with her after hearing Spark and Raspberry Swirl a few years ago.

I knew Crucify cos i would listen to it when i was 12! But then never really cared for her.

Now i love nearly every song, my faves must be A Sorta Fairytale :hearts: Winter :hearts: Iieee :hearts: Caught A Lite Sneeze..

Okay i have too many faves, i'll stop now.

I love her, i wanna see her in concert so badly and i will! :wavey:

kabuki
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Love her, seen her 4 times in concert.

My favorite album is Boys For Pele, with To Venus and Back (Disc 2) coming in second.

I know it's terrible, but I keep hoping her home life would bust up somehow, so that she could be angry and bitter again. :lol:

katiektc
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I know it's terrible, but I keep hoping her home life would bust up somehow, so that she could be angry and bitter again. :lol:

Lol! ;) I know, it's so true. Her "I'm so angry,bitter and off my head on drugs" phase made some amazing music ;)

I havn't seen her in concert yet but I'd really love to.

I don't have a favourite album, I love too many of her songs :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
huh?
:lol: The poster is talking about Tori Alamaze.

Maajken
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Okay, where shall i start!

I adore Tori Amos, she is amazing! There is no album i don't like (even Beekeeper i tolerate ;)), just a few songs i never warmed up to but i have nearly every song she has released.

I fell in love with her after hearing Spark and Raspberry Swirl a few years ago.

I knew Crucify cos i would listen to it when i was 12! But then never really cared for her.

Now i love nearly every song, my faves must be A Sorta Fairytale :hearts: Winter :hearts: Iieee :hearts: Caught A Lite Sneeze..

Okay i have too many faves, i'll stop now.

i completely agree with this :eek:

though i've seen her in concert three times already :angel: :p

fnuf7
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Anyone who hasn't seen her in concert could buy one (or all ;) ) of her live cds that she released of some of her tour last year. I went to one held in Manchester and bought the cd of it and it's a great way of re-living the concert :cool: :D

zut16
Jun 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM

I wanna see her live too! Then again, she never comes to my country and it's just way too expensive to go abroad just to see a concert. Hopefully I'll get to see her before she stops touring completely....

Does anyone have a favourite video of Tori's? I'd have to say my personal favourite is 'Raspberry Swirl' expesically with those crazy movements she does in the beginning of the video in the elevator. And I love how understated and beautiful 'Jackie's Strength' B&W video is...

Does anyone else think that '10,000 Oceans' was pretty mediocre until she made a video of it? I thought the video was simply gorgeous and redeemed the song...

smarties
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
I just used to love her and I still think that her early work will go down in the annals of american music as masterpieces but sadly the last 3 albums have been horrible; just plain crap. I agree with zut16 that ''Boys for pele'' was probably her best work or at least the most groundbraking.

Pheobo
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
I find her piano playing can be a little too convoluted and chaotic for my liking. I'd prefer it if she played a bit more direct and melodic - a bit more Carole King. The worst songs are the ones where she doesn't have any other musicians to reign her in. And performance-wise, she can be a little too "look at me I'm being transported to a higher plane and I'm having sex with my piano". I like my musicians to be more humble. Damien Rice is an artist who has the same problem.

I completely agree (except for the chaotic piano playing...that's the way I like it) The whole hightened spiritual being thing really gets on my nerves, along with the long talks about fine wine :rolleyes:

I don't want to like her, but I can't help it.

new-york
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:31 AM
I LOVE her music. "Little Eartquakes is my classic." I love the all piano songs, the lyrics, she's great. Didn't check the last album, don't know why at all. I listened some clips and i leave it.

should give it another chance.

Mark Spruce
Jun 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
Corn Flake Girl for me !!!!!

tommyk75
Jun 21st, 2006, 09:01 AM
I am proud to say that Tori Amos is my all-time favorite artist. She has had so many incredible songs over the years that it is incredible. In my opinion, her best albums are "Little Earthquakes" and "From a Choirgirl Hotel" (all the songs are good, while her other albums tend to have wild ups and downs). But some of her best work has come from b-sides and live performances.

She has become quite mellowed out in her last few albums, which has added a bit of sameness to her songs, especially evident in "The Beekeeper." Still, her talent is undeniable, and I am sure that she will update her sound with her next album.

Meanwhile, my favorite Tori tracks:

1. Caught a Lite Sneeze
2. Silent All These Years
3. Raspberry Swirl
4. Hey Jupiter
5. Northern Lad
6. Famous Blue Raincoat
7. Merman
8. Gold Dust
9. Operator (live)
10. Me And a Gun (bootleg Xerxes Remix)

Barrie_Dude
Jun 21st, 2006, 02:39 PM
I dunno man...some of these people have such horrible taste in music...It's hard to tell.I know some people here that actually like Britney Spears! :scared:

vogus
Jun 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM

definitely agree. Under the Pink is the true Amos masterpiece. One of the best pop-rock albums ever imo. My fave trax are The Wrong Band and Space Dog, but really they are all great.

I disliked Boys for Pele so much that i tossed in the garbage after a couple of listens. I think some of the newer stuff is not so bad though.

vogus
Jun 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM

i wrote this little piece about Under the Pink in my livejournal not so long ago...

"I pulled out Tori Amos "Under The Pink" a few days ago and i realized how much that CD means to me, i'd forgotten about it for a few years. The way she succeeds in combining, both musically and lyrically, lighthearted flirtatiousness and deep, deadly seriousness - not just on the album as a whole, but also within the individual songs - makes it a genius-like work. It brought back Annya quite strongly - i didn't remember that i'd taken it along on our trip to Egypt, but when i heard it, it came back to me. We listened to it in the dark after we'd gone to bed, during the first few days of the trip. Annya was a powerful presence in my life during that time. We weren't getting along and it was a tough winter, and that's the feeling that the songs bring back to me. That, and of course, wishing i could see her. I can't actually remember if Annya liked the CD or not. She must have thought it was ok or she wouldn't have let me play it."

Steffica Greles
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
Tori Amos rockz!

It's unfair that in the UK she gets compared to Kate Bush too often. In my opinion, there's very little similarity. You can see Tori has been influenced by Kate, but I would say Joni Mitchell springs more immediately to mind. But either way, Tori is Tori.

Little Earthquakes and Boys For Pele are among my top ten favourite albums. I didn't think either Scarlet's Walk or Beekeeper in their entirety were her best efforts, however.

Fave Tori songs:

Sorta Fairytale
Cooling
I Can't See New York
Winter
Raspberry swirl
Little Earthquakes
Crucify
Precious Things
China
Hey Jupiter ooh-ooh-oh ooh-ooh-ooh-ii-oh-oh
Father Lucifer
Blood Roses
Putting The Damage On
Caught a Lite Sneeze
1000 Oceans
Sugar (live version)

Steffica Greles
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM
Lol! ;) I know, it's so true. Her "I'm so angry,bitter and off my head on drugs" phase made some amazing music ;)

I havn't seen her in concert yet but I'd really love to.

I don't have a favourite album, I love too many of her songs :lol:

I saw her in concert in Glasgow just over a year ago, Katie, and she rocked 155124242 more times than any picture of Jake G.

cellophane
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:07 AM
Sarah Slean is still my fave piano diva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUggqdqEpBM&mode=related&search=slean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vNUWE5ApQ&mode=related&search=slean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742C-YfMGNM&mode=related&search=slean

:hearts:

vogus
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Sarah Slean is still my fave piano diva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=742C-YfMGNM&mode=related&search=slean

:hearts:

ugh, she's horrible.

cellophane
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
ugh, she's horrible.

:lol: Why? But I guess that's why not everyone likes this new style of hers.

Okay... fine.. let me give you one more song, and then you can hate her. :lol: Okay? :p

*uploading*

vogus
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM
:lol: Why? But I guess that's why not everyone likes this new style of hers.

Okay... fine.. let me give you one more song, and then you can hate her. :lol: Okay? :p

*uploading*

do you like Charlotte Martin? That's my personal new fave diva.

cellophane
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:30 AM
do you like Charlotte Martin? That's my personal new fave diva.

I've heard she is too much of a Tori clone. But since I don't care much for Tori. :lol:

Anyway, hold on... I can't find my CD. :mad:

cellophane
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM
P.S. I lied though - Fiona Apple is probably my fave piano diva. :p I just don't care that much for Sarah's music lately.

Mr_Molik
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:33 AM
i have a few tori songs on my comp. i like crucify and the waitress. and her cover of smells like teen spirit is pretty good.

btw i dont have horrible taste in music:p

cellophane
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:53 AM
OK, vogus, maybe you'll like this better. :p

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=939CEB8B3A0BE9C6