PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Teams as WTA Players

miffedmax
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Here are my thoughts:

France = Anastasia Myskina. Suddenly can't score, can't win, has it really been that long since they won a championship?

Argentina = Hingis. Down and out just a few years ago, now back with a vengeance and climbing up the rankings. Can they reach the top?

S. Korea = Lena D. Too inconsistent to win it all and some woeful weaknesses, but by God you have to love the way they keep fighting and clawing their way back into matches.

Brazil = Venus. Even performing way below their best they remain a threat to win it all, like VW at Wimbledon last year.

USA = Safina. Wildly inconsistent, but starting to show some signs of being able to play with the big names.

Czech Republic = Mary Pierce. Crafty, experienced, capable of lighting up anybody anytime, but age is a concern.

England = Davenport. Longtime favorite will somehow find a way to come up short. Again.

Spain = Patty. So close, so often. Off to a good start, but can they breakthrough and win the big one?

Mexico = Petrova. Fattened up on weak competition, staggering in the early going.

Ivory Coast = Hantuchova. Charm, appeal, so close and yet so far.

Germany = Masha S. Not quite on form of the great years, but a return to glory could be in the offing. Sooner rather than later.

Holland = Nicki V. starting to live up to the hype.

That's all I can think of.

TdF_DBLL
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:12 PM
:worship: I agree with most of the list. Only I think Spain should be Lena D. Named as a favourite often but can't grab big title.

LoveFifteen
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I love that you picked Hingis as Argentina and Venus as Brazil. Two huge rivals. I like Brazil a lot, but love Argentina. It's always exciting when they play each other. Excellent choices!