PDA

View Full Version : Now that Davenport is out of Wimbledon, who will we be cheering for?

santhuruu
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:35 PM
My personal feeling is that many fans will cheer for Venus or Maria.

Have your say!

thelittlestelf
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm mainly cheering for venus, hingis, and kim.

I'll be really disappointed if one of them doesn't win.

mike/topgun
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Just like Santhuruu mentioned I will cheer for Vee and Masha to win;)
Hope that Nicole, Ana, Nastya do well too
Martina has a chance and I'd like her to make the semis, but i can't imagine her winning the whole thing.

MH0861
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
My personal feeling is that many fans will cheer for Venus or Maria.

Have your say!

This may seem really catty, but after the last two years at Wimby, I could never cheer for Venus or Maria here. I don't hate them and I wish them well, but I just won't be rooting for them. :shrug:

I'd love to see Martina win this, as unlikely as it is. I'd also think it would be pretty cool if Justine got her career slam here.

dav abu
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:46 PM
I really couldn't give a shit now that Lindsays not there, only one favourite for me. Agree with your first point MH0861.

Andrew..
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Martina. The only top thirty player I care about.

Robbie.
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Martina. The only top thirty player I care about.

Ditto. A shame she has no chance of actually winning.

Wimbledon is fucked for me now.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Bugger now Lindsay is out Kim and Alicia for me.

The Daviator
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Dementieva :o

Andrew..
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Why do people like KIM!. Seriously, explain.

LindsayRulz
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Now that Lindsay is out, I don't care about the tournament. Wimbledon is not Wimbledon without Lindsay. :(

!<blocparty>!
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Kind of like why people like the fatty in your avatar, maybe. Nobody knows.

It could be 'cos she's so lovely and generous. Queen present giver on the WTA tour. I fell into the trap this time last year at Eastbourne before realizing she's actually a bitch.

Elldee
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
James Blake. Women's tennis is nothing without Lindsay. Venus? I hope she loses in the first round and is doubled bagelled by Camille Pin.

Ingokoer
Jun 20th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I am hoping for Amélie, Justine and Anna-Lena.

LethalLindsay
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
After three semi appearances and the game to DEFINITELY win on grass..................depending on her nerves.........................it's AMELIE all the way for me with a nice grass run by Alicia for the Aussie in me!

tennisboi
Jun 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Women's tennis is nothing without Lindsay. Venus? I hope she loses in the first round and is doubled bagelled by Camille Pin.

My feelings exactly on both points.Wimbledon or tennis won't be the same without her because she has such a presence on and off the court and it's very disappointing that she's out. Hopefully she can recover for the US harcourt tournaments and ultimately win the US open

Kimmi
Jun 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Right, Lindsay not being at The French Open I can handle - didn't think she would be there anyway. Wimbledon, however, is another matter :hysteric: :hysteric:

I guess it'll be Amelie for me. Martina Hingis if I get bored.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 20th, 2006, 11:19 PM

She nice down to earth and has no graces about her and isn't full of herself. Alot like Lindsay really.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
I will cheer for Kim, but not as much as I cheered for Lindsay.
I might concentrate on the men's side. I want Marat Safin to win it!

Andrew..
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:56 AM
She nice down to earth and has no graces about her and isn't full of herself. Alot like Lindsay really.
She's really, really fake though. And tries to buy fans with cheap drinks.

blumaroo
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
Wimbledon is kinda meaningless without Lindsay.
I had it all planned out in my head. Lindsay destroying every opponent until the trophy is in her hands, tears at the ceremony and her not wanting to retire because she just won a slam. :(
I guess I'll be cheering for the young guns (Ana I, Krajicek though they won't win). And even though Hingis is a major fave of mine, I somehow don't want her to win it. Don't know why. Maybe it's because those trolls who say womens tennis mean nothing nowadays will have a field day.
Masha to win then.

Andrew..
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
The WTA is seriously fucked up though. Martina's already showed us that the tour hasn't changed in years. It would take alot of bad luck for her to not be in the top five next year.

The WTA sucks, and I hate it.

jacs
Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:56 AM
Someone new entirely... I dunno... Ivanovic?

Lindsayfan
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Nobody. I will focus on my exams.

mike/topgun
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
Maybe Ana Ivanovic can make a breakthrough at last?
The WTA is seriously fucked up though. Martina's already showed us that the tour hasn't changed in years. It would take alot of bad luck for her to not be in the top five next year.

The WTA sucks, and I hate it.
Yes that's probably true, but it's not so simple.
Many of the players that where somehow the reason for Martina's retirement in 2002 along with those series of serious injuries, are not competing this year: Serena, Jenifer, and Lindsay/Venus were hardly at their best when she faced them.
Only 3 matches thst Marti played really well this year were: AO QF against Kim (even though she lost), Tokyo SF Vs Masha and IW 1/8F when she beat injured Lindsay.
The rest of her matches she played this year didn't convince me at all.
She lost to Flavia in 3, to JHH in str8, the Elena final in TPP was :tape:...
Next tourneys she played showed that her form was unstable and not as high as one would think. Rome victory over Safina is definitely not the peak of her dreams, neither the revenge she took on rusty Venus...so I could agree with you Andrew, but imo it's even more complicated, well it's really weird, on the womens and on the mens tour aswell.

Kimmi
Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
And tries to buy fans with cheap drinks.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Kim, my tab is at the bar.

Andrew..
Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM
Maybe Ana Ivanovic can make a breakthrough at last?

Yes that's probably true, but it's not so simple.
Many of the players that where somehow the reason for Martina's retirement in 2002 along with those series of serious injuries, are not competing this year: Serena, Jenifer, and Lindsay/Venus were hardly at their best when she faced them.
Only 3 matches thst Marti played really well this year were: AO QF against Kim (even though she lost), Tokyo SF Vs Masha and IW 1/8F when she beat injured Lindsay.
The rest of her matches she played this year didn't convince me at all.
She lost to Flavia in 3, to JHH in str8, the Elena final in TPP was :tape:...
Next tourneys she played showed that her form was unstable and not as high as one would think. Rome victory over Safina is definitely not the peak of her dreams, neither the revenge she took on rusty Venus...so I could agree with you Andrew, but imo it's even more complicated, well it's really weird, on the womens and on the mens tour aswell.
You're just illustrating my point more. She's not even at her best, and she's already closing in on the top ten. Half way through the year. And she's beaten the player who pushed her out of the game, and really should have beaten her twice already. She doesn't have to beat Kim or Justine to get to #1. Lindsay didn't have to.

mike/topgun
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM
She doesn't have to beat Kim or Justine to get to #1. Lindsay didn't have to.
We'll see. Lindsay didn't have to cos they were both injured in 2004, while in 2005 she's beaten Kim in 2 GS 1/8Fs and was close to beat her in IW, faced JHH once and retired injured in FCC, after a good agressive performance.
Did Mauresmo beat Kim/JHH to be n1? Did Masha beat them? No. SO MARTI IS ON A GOOD WAY TO HIT THE TOP 5 AT THE END OF THE YEAR. That's my view. She needs to get some more quarters and semis, play basically as effective as she's done lately and it'll pay off for sure. That doesn't mean that she's can handle her biggest rivals, that she's better than Lindsay/Pierce/Serena/Capriati/Venus. Her rivalry with Masha is something to watch, but as it stands now I can't help thinking bout how lame the wta tour is atm. No shit.
The mens tour isn't exciting as well, but the quality tends to be higher, as always. :p

lindsayno1
Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Maria to win over my dead body...
she absolutely sucked at birmingham and i still hate her.

Hingis to win!

Elldee
Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
Clijsters to win! I like her and she's pretty... she won't win tho.

I think this is Henin's to lose. Why are the people I hate most the two people most likely to win LINDSAY'S SLAM??

Kelly
Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
no lindsay-no interest. im already making plans about going to cornwall to see friends for the 2nd week of the tennis.

i like amelie, so would like her to do well...thas where it ends for the wta for me. on the atp i will stick by andy roddick...and would love blake, monfils to do well

lindsayno1
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM
just read, lindsay will be out of the top 10 after wimbledon...thus no american women will be in the top 10.

how long does lindsay have to be out for to get a protected ranking?

mike/topgun
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Probably 6 months at least?not sure though

Vacant
Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
just read, lindsay will be out of the top 10 after wimbledon...thus no american women will be in the top 10.

She has to be out for a minimum of six months, but it will only allow her entry into tournaments, I am pretty sure she cannot be seeded using the injury ranking.

Andrew..
Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:28 AM
There's no such thing as SSR's now.

Thanks, Vee.

Andrew..
Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:29 AM
Clijsters to win! I like her and she's pretty... she won't win tho.
You like her, that's your issue. But pretty? No. Just, no.

Lindsayfan32
Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
She's really, really fake though. And tries to buy fans with cheap drinks.

That's a good point Andrew but she has a simular personailty to Lindsay and I don't know about the fake bit she seems the real deal to me but who knows what's true and what isn't. This much I do know I like Lindsay because she is humble and down to earth and kim seems to be the same.

Elldee
Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Not to rub salt in the wounds but as the number 5 seed, Lindsay would have had a decent draw.

Andrew..
Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Not to rub salt in the wounds but as the number 5 seed, Lindsay would have had a decent draw.
I noticed this. Easy draw until the QF - KFC. Still, QF points are better than no points.

Oh, and only 14 tournaments will count towards Lindsay's ranking this season. Lolz.

lindsayno1
Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
ugh. this tournament is getting more and more undesirable. now vee knock masha out dammit

Elldee
Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I noticed this. Easy draw until the QF - KFC. Still, QF points are better than no points.

Oh, and only 14 tournaments will count towards Lindsay's ranking this season. Lolz.

I would have picked Lindsay to win this match on grass... not so sure about Henin in the SF tho.

Andrew..
Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Actually, she'd probably be the favorite for the final. Grass isn't exactly Christine's top surface.

Elldee
Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
She was playing well today, Kim said it was 'like playing Lindsay Davenport' because you 'get so few chances'.

mike/topgun
Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
She was playing well today, Kim said it was 'like playing Lindsay Davenport' because you 'get so few chances'.
that's whole Kim:tape:
She actually blew her chances, when she had them, plus made so many mistakes that JHH must have been really injured not to win this one.
Well, the quarters look like: top half - (1). Momo Vs (6).Vee, (4).Maria Vs underdog
bottom half -(12). Martina Vs (3). JHH and (6).Kuzy, or (10). Nicole Vs (2).Kimmie
I'm really impressed by Myskna's performances this week as she's showing some decent form, good grasscourt tactics and agressive play. I've been routing for her to win in Eastbourne, so I guess "Allez" has to go home this time.Nastya's semi Vs JKuzy was an inspiring one to watch. Actually one of very few matches worth seeing in months now.
Nadia's out, and even though I'm not her fan, becouse of her BORING game that is, I'm kind of angry...When she was playing well (I mean winning titles) I said many times she's going to get seriously injured, if she keeps on playing so much. And she did:tape:

Elske
Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Kim :bounce:

Amelie :bounce:

Kirsten Flipkens:hearts:

and Alicia :)

!<blocparty>!
Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Why are all these fans who wouldn't be cheering for Lindsay anyway posting in our forum.

KIMMIE and Elske.

Elske
Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Why are all these fans who wouldn't be cheering for Lindsay anyway posting in our forum.

KIMMIE and Elske.

:confused:

Lindsay has been my number one favourite for years, maybe you should do a little research before you say something :rolleyes:

I have been posting here since quite a few years and posted quite a few new threads as well

http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22&page=29&sort=postusername&order=desc&pp=30&daysprune=-1

!<blocparty>!
Jun 24th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Oh, OK. I've never seen you post in here before. :p

Robbie.
Jun 24th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Juju will never be comparable to Lindsay.

Of course, in some ways that's a poor reflection on Lindsay ie. if their mental capacities were comparable, Lindsay would probably have 7-8 slams now.

Andrew..
Jun 24th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Juju will never be comparable to Lindsay.
Correct, but I'm not sure how you mean that... Are you saying Lindsay will always be remembered as the better player? Because Justine is leading her in slam titles, has won their last five matches, is considered to be the better player under pressure, and considering she has 5+ years left on tour, will only gain.

Robbie.
Jun 24th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Correct, but I'm not sure how you mean that... Are you saying Lindsay will always be remembered as the better player? Because Justine is leading her in slam titles, has won their last five matches, is considered to be the better player under pressure, and considering she has 5+ years left on tour, will only gain.

Well I think, sadly, it's quite inevitable now that Juju will be remembered as the greater player. If she isn't now, which is arguable though I think Lindsay is still in front, it is quite impossible to think that she won't in time put such a gap in the slam count that arguing for Lindsay's superiority will become impossible. This in spite of the fact that Lindsay is, in my view, a better player on all surfaces but clay.

What my comment was really directed at was Kim's assessment that Juju was playing like Davenport. Juju will never just completely shut a top player out of a match the way Lindsay can. When Lindsay is serving and striking the ball well, especially on fast surfaces, she is virtually unplayable - she'll take you out of your game. Even if Juju is playing her best, you will still be in the match, and have the chance to play your game, even if she proves too good.

However, on a broader level it really is striking how little Juju and Lindsay have in common. Whereas Lindsay, despite injury, has been so consistent for so long, Juju waxes and wanes. She'll have patches of brilliance and unexpected losses. While Lindsay has traditionally had no trouble with the rabble and struggled to sustain her best against players at or around her callibre, Juju will struggle against journeywomen and then take it up several notches when she plays a top player. While movement is a challenge for Lindsay and she is known to tank, Juju is so quick and will never simply give up. Wheras Lindsay has struggled to get weight off, Juju has sought to put it on. While Lindsay has been most successful at the US Open and Wimbledon, Juju has rarely produced her best at those slams and been much better at Roland Garros and in Melbourne. While Lindsay has handed up many big chances to add to her GS count, Justine has won some matches and gone on to win slams that she really shouldnt have won. Personality wise, Lindsay is popular and respected, her sportmanship undoubted; Juju, much less so. And then there is purely the physique and high disparity. Simply - they are incomparable.

Andrew..
Jun 24th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Well I think, sadly, it's quite inevitable now that Juju will be remembered as the greater player. If she isn't now, which is arguable though I think Lindsay is still in front, it is quite impossible to think that she won't in time put such a gap in the slam count that arguing for Lindsay's superiority will become impossible. This in spite of the fact that Lindsay is, in my view, a better player on all surfaces but clay.

What my comment was really directed at was Kim's assessment that Juju was playing like Davenport. Juju will never just completely shut a top player out of a match the way Lindsay can. When Lindsay is serving and striking the ball well, especially on fast surfaces, she is virtually unplayable - she'll take you out of your game. Even if Juju is playing her best, you will still be in the match, and have the chance to play your game, even if she proves too good.

However, on a broader level it really is striking how little Juju and Lindsay have in common. Whereas Lindsay, despite injury, has been so consistent for so long, Juju waxes and wanes. She'll have patches of brilliance and unexpected losses. While Lindsay has traditionally had no trouble with the rabble and struggled to sustain her best against players at or around her callibre, Juju will struggle against journeywomen and then take it up several notches when she plays a top player. While movement is a challenge for Lindsay and she is known to tank, Juju is so quick and will never simply give up. Wheras Lindsay has struggled to get weight off, Juju has sought to put it on. While Lindsay has been most successful at the US Open and Wimbledon, Juju has rarely produced her best at those slams and been much better at Roland Garros and in Melbourne. While Lindsay has handed up many big chances to add to her GS count, Justine has won some matches and gone on to win slams that she really shouldnt have won. Personality wise, Lindsay is popular and respected, her sportmanship undoubted; Juju, much less so. And then there is purely the physique and high disparity. Simply - they are incomparable.
Great post.

Nobody can hit the ball the way Lindsay does. It's a pity that she doesn't have more slams, because she should seriously have about ten right now.

Póg mo thóin LD
Jun 24th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I think I will be routing for Martina Hingis and Kuzy

lindsayno1
Jun 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Great post.

Nobody can hit the ball the way Lindsay does. It's a pity that she doesn't have more slams, because she should seriously have about ten right now.

:worship:

mike/topgun
Jun 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
just look at my signature:p
I do respect JHH, but only her bh is great, fluid and natural imho. She worked really hard on her fitness and she's arguebly the fastest runner on tour. Their style is incomparable, cos most times JuJu is defending herself or waiting for errors, whilst Lindsay is a natural agressive player, that's why she struggles to show her best on the red dirt.
Justine will be remembered as the better player cos she's won more slams. That's sport. She just gets more balls back in the most important moments.
Lindsay should have won at leats 6 more slams: USO 2000( was in-form, played great wasted 4-0 lead in the first set with some bad serves), AO '04(blew her chances and lost to JHH), Wimbledon '04(the Masha/rain match), USO '04(INJURY), Aussie Open 2005(if she didn't play doubles...) and Wimbledon 2005 against insopired/erratic Venus...

shirley
Jun 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I'd like to see someone who hasn't won it before win so that rules out Maria and Venus. Though saying that I wouldn't mind if Martina won. I'm gonna go for Amelie to win Wimbledon but because Lindsay's out this year I don't really care and will probably watch more of the World Cup than Wimbledon. In the men's side, I'd like the fairytale ending and see Andre win :D

lindsayno1
Jun 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Amelie wont win....

tennisboi
Jun 25th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I want Amelie to win but seeing she can't handle the big occasion I want Kuzzie,Myskina,Alicia,Martina and Clijsters to do well but the only one of these that I think has a chance is Sveta:worship:I'm going and I hope to have a great time :bigclap: :clap2:

GrandSlam05
Jun 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
just look at my signature:p
I do respect JHH, but only her bh is great, fluid and natural imho. She worked really hard on her fitness and she's arguebly the fastest runner on tour. Their style is incomparable, cos most times JuJu is defending herself or waiting for errors, whilst Lindsay is a natural agressive player, that's why she struggles to show her best on the red dirt.
Justine will be remembered as the better player cos she's won more slams. That's sport. She just gets more balls back in the most important moments.
Lindsay should have won at leats 6 more slams: USO 2000( was in-form, played great wasted 4-0 lead in the first set with some bad serves), AO '04(blew her chances and lost to JHH), Wimbledon '04(the Masha/rain match), USO '04(INJURY), Aussie Open 2005(if she didn't play doubles...) and Wimbledon 2005 against insopired/erratic Venus...
And probably some earlier in her career if she hadn't been such a chunker.
I like Justine and all, but I will always remember Lindsay as the more talented player, however history will only look at the # slams, and Justine has outdone Lindsay there (unless our dear Lindsay has a dream surge at the twilight of her career and wins a few more ;) ) . And if Justine gets that career slam, she will outdo Queen Vee.

mike/topgun
Jul 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
now, that Venus is out, I'm routing for Masha and Nicole even more
Roger to win 4th str8 Wimbledon crown would be exciting to see, however Murray is the one I'd like to see in the finals against Tursunov/Labadze or someone other than Nadal who is hilarious on grass:lol:

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:03 AM
I cant believe Roddicks out. Stupid Murray..dont care if hes british!

Woo for Vee being out! Sharapovas gonna win this thing now. Dammit.

Robbie.
Jul 2nd, 2006, 12:36 AM
I don't know, Venus' loss really pisses me off for some reason. It just goes to show that Venus is nowhere near the callibre needed to win a GS and - apart from three matches - hasn't been in three years. On the balance of their play in recent times, Lindsay really deserved to win that final last year. I thought at the stage - "well maybe Venus is back". But she wasn't, she just bobbed up to fuck up Lindsay's party. And Lindsay let her do it.

Andrew..
Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:00 AM
Lindsay has nobody to blame for losing that match but herself.

mike/topgun
Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Lindsay has nobody to blame for losing that match but herself.
True. I'd add the injury, which developed to a chronic one atm, maybe some lucky net cords from da Queen, along with this memorable line call from Jerry Armstrong:lol:

Go Masha win the title.:yeah: Nicole to the final.:)
Perhaps, anybody, but Justine.

edit:I cant believe Roddicks out. Stupid Murray..dont care if hes british!
You know - ARod gave his best, but went short of his service in key moments. Murray is a great player, actually my favourite among those youngstars. If Marat keeps on loosing to Gonzalez in every slam, he'd become my favourite 4 sure. :p
And you should be aware that your countryman made Roddick look like a little boy in those dropshot/lob/passing rallies. The Scot is a very talented player and you British-English should support him as well as your greatest football gods like Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard...or as well as the
certain Owen H. born in Canada, originaly from Wales :rolleyes:

Andrew..
Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
How can you like Murray. Have you even seen him speak.

mike/topgun
Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
How can you like Murray. Have you even seen him speak.
Yeah, actually, I've seen him speak after his tremendous win in San Jose over Hewitt. He was exhausted and hilarious. A great match it was. Andy is a talented player who's skills are great, but his attitude sometimes makes me lough. Still he's a fighter, and tacticaly aware prospect for the future.
Maybe unlike you, I look at players game more, and not necessarily how articulate/eloquently they speak, cuz then I should definitely hate Sampras for being a snooze on press conferences.:lol:
Meanwhile, ARod was just hilarious, must say as usual:
Q. The other day you said that you and John talked about trying to err on the side of aggression. What was your mindset coming into today? Same thing?

ANDY RODDICK: The same thing. I mean, I was consistently, like I said, in the points with the best court position. You know, it's tough 'cause three hard forehands to three corners in a row used to work. Now it sits up and you get passed from six feet behind the baseline. You know, I mean, that's what I asked when I came in. I said, is that not the right play, you know, for me? You know, we were both, you know, a little irritated.

Andy, sorry Andrew :lol: , maybe you could take into consideration, that Murray's got a great game to watch. Then he's the stubborn Scot who doesn't know the word "compromise". He's got great touch, and plays fluid game.
I wonder why you don't like him. Any significant reasons, or just hate?:lol:

edit:
Back to Lindsay - saw LA entry list and she's not there :eek: What the hell is going on. She plays BWC, SD and then what? Montreal?:lol:
Any news fellow Tops? It is meant to be a "reduced" summer schedule, but I guess LA was still there. After the Wimbledon points are taken off, she could be seeded even outside top8 in SD, and probably n3/or 4 in Stanford depending on how well Nicole does in SW19.
She better shows up there, and gives some effort, or make a statement herself, or else I dont even want to think about it:tape:

Kimmi
Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Jelena Jankovic is a f**king legend! I knew there was a reason I liked her! Just had to wait ages for the big win! But when it came, it was worth it :bounce:

GrandSlam05
Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I hope it's a Justine/Mauresmo final and Justine can bitchslap Momo and put all that AO crap to rest. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Juju thump Maria on her "best surface."
As long as Kim doesn't win, I can live with pretty much ANY result though.

GrandSlam05
Jul 2nd, 2006, 04:56 PM
Jelena Jankovic is a f**king legend! I knew there was a reason I liked her! Just had to wait ages for the big win! But when it came, it was worth it :bounce:
Yes, but I wish it could've happened LAST YEAR! :mad:

The Daviator
Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Dementieva for the title! :p

No seriously, Henin will win against Mauresmo in the final, can you imagine if she won here and in NY, how bad the AO fiasco will look :tape:

lindsayno1
Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
The Scot is a very talented player and you British-English should support him

I aint supporting noone who says 'im supporting any football team who plays against England'. Hes an arrogant, moody little boy!

GrandSlam05
Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:01 AM
No seriously, Henin will win against Mauresmo in the final, can you imagine if she won here and in NY, how bad the AO fiasco will look :tape:
ITA and with the way tour is looking, Justine has a great shot of getting 4 in a row if she can stay healthy.

MH0861
Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:42 AM
Bremond for the title!

lindsayno1
Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Jankovic for the title

Not Sharapova, not Justine, Not Vaidisova and NOT Mauresmo!

Kelly
Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
i only want momo to win...roddick...bluegh well done mr roddick ur crapness recentley never ceases to amaze me!

regarding murray...when he talks i want to strangle some life into him!

Andrew..
Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Not playing LA isn't good. I'm concerned.

lindsayno1
Jul 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
i just wish wed get some friggin official statement or something from HER!

Andrew..
Jul 4th, 2006, 03:18 AM
"I'm pregnant. I quit. The End." - L. Davenport.

mike/topgun
Jul 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
"I'm pregnant. I quit. The End." - L. Davenport.
so you believe in romours?:lol:

GrandSlam05
Jul 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I imagine when Lindsay retires it will be a "thanks for noticin' me" approach like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

Robbie.
Jul 5th, 2006, 04:27 AM
I must say, I have really found myself wanting to put my fist through the TV for most of this tournament, the tennis has been so bad. Especially the quarterfinals. This tournament so would have been Lindsay's this year. Justine is probably going to win it, but at times in the last three matches you can really see how vulnerable she can be on this surface to some one who can hit through the court. It takes away all her strengths. And yet there is no one good enough to capitalise.

lindsayno1
Jul 5th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Sadly i think Sharapova is gonna capitalise on her easy draw and take the title. I mean Dementieva in the quarters and Mauresmo in the semis....come on! Im not a fan of Justine, but Justine to win it, cos shes sure as hell gonna beat Kim.

Andrew..
Jul 5th, 2006, 01:08 PM
You just predicted that two people would win the title.

Interesting.

GrandSlam05
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Maybe at 3-all in the first set Justine will get overwhelming stomach cramps and Sharapova will fall over in pain with her recurring tit injury. Then both retire and win Wimbledon. Everybody's happy.

jacs
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Maybe at 3-all in the first set Justine will get overwhelming stomach cramps and Sharapova will fall over in pain with her recurring tit injury. Then both retire and win Wimbledon. Everybody's happy.

that doesn't make me happy :tape:

Golinds
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:22 PM
WHOOO Sharapoo-face is out! :worship: :worship:

lindsayno1
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:05 PM
YES! SO happy. she acted like a spoilt little child on court today. Well done amelie! I have absolutely no interest in the final, but glad Sharapova isnt in it!

Andrew..
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:43 AM
I hope Justine wins. She'll make the tour look somewhat legit for the first time in a while.

Robbie.
Jul 7th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I hope Justine wins. She'll make the tour look somewhat legit for the first time in a while.

The thought of Momo having two slams in one year :tape:

blumaroo
Jul 7th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Lindsay would have beaten Amelie
What a waste this year :(
I hope Justine wins. I can't really think of Momo having two slams and who knows how many she will add in the future even though she's nowhere near Lindsays level.

mike/topgun
Jul 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Well, now it's up to JHH and Momo, not a surprise considering the draw.
Hope JuJu win this cos she's the only one who can produce the highest level of tennis atm.
I think Lindsay would have won it, if she had played.
Maybe she' ll be fit for BWC and SD.

lindsayno1
Jul 7th, 2006, 04:01 PM
I think JHH will win it. Just give her hte career slam and be done with it. I cant cope with Amelie winning wimbledon. Im at work so wont watch it, but whatever!

dav abu
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Allez Amelie!

!<blocparty>!
Jul 7th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Lets go Justine.

The WTA sucks enough as it is without a mental midget winning two slams in a single year.

The Daviator
Jul 8th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I literally don't care who wins, I guess I'd be slightly more in favour of Justine winning, because Momo winning two Slams in 6 months when Linds doesn't have any in 6 years :o is just unfair...

Andrew..
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:17 AM
That would say more about Lindsay than it does about Mauresmo, the WTA, or anything else.

The Daviator
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Unfair in the sense that Davenport is a much better player than Mauresmo, but the stars just never seem to align for her, not in recent years anyway...

Andrew..
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Unfair in the sense that Davenport is a much better player than Mauresmo, but the stars just never seem to align for her, not in recent years anyway...
They were aligned for her two years in a row here, and, well, we know what happened.

The Daviator
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:28 AM
They were aligned for her two years in a row here, and, well, we know what happened.

Rain delay and back spasm? ;)

Andrew..
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Rain delay and back spasm? ;)
You could maybe get off with the back spasms. But not the rain delay, because that's not the only thing that happened. The third set was a classic tank from the days of yore.

MH0861
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:43 AM
You could maybe get off with the back spasms. But not the rain delay, because that's not the only thing that happened. The third set was a classic tank from the days of yore.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure Lindsay would've finished off Maria off handily (a la the Sprem match the round before), had the rain not come. But who knows with her, really.

Robbie.
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Well in order to say that the stars aligned you probably have to win the tournament. That is, the stars aligning includes a provision for mental deficiency ie. the gods delivering Novotna a final against Tauziat or Clijsters a Venus Williams melt down or Mauresmo two retirements in the final two rounds of the AO. When the stars are aligned for you, it's impossible to fuck it up even if you are a mental case.

As for the final, well I don't care who wins but I think a Henin victory is really a fait accompli. This girl is the master of taking her opportunities. Every time she has been playing well enough and put herself in a position to win a GS, with one notable exception earlier this year, she has come through. None of this wasting 4 or 5 live chances to win more GS like Davenport and Hingis have. And speaking of stars alligning, I don't think things could have been any better for her this year on a surface where she is still suspect. There were four players with the possibility of hitting her off the court on this surface, two didnt play and the other two were on the otherside of the draw and didn't make it. To win Wimbledon she is going to beat Mauresmo and Clijsters and no one else of any consequence. Talk about a "soft" Wimbledon. Last year Lindsay had to beat Clijsters, Mauresmo and Kuznetsova just to reach the final.

lindsayno1
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Justine what the hell!!!! As nice as amelie is, i cant believe she has won wimbledon, when we own her completely!

mike/topgun
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:40 PM
when we own her completely!
Not sure if Lindsay would have produced the type of tennis she showed last year, in order to win it this year...and still Amelie played really well, similar to last year.
JuJu was probably tired=lacked her normal dynamicy, still she's not as good grascourt player that Momo is.
Congrats to the champion, but look who she did beat on route to win the whole thing: a bunch of "one slam wonders":lol: and visibly tired Juju:lol:

Come back Lindsay - when there's no WS, JHH/Clijsters are vulnerable, Hingis is not the same, Pierce injured, Sharapova more erratic than usual, Kuznetsova and other Russians are all beatable - just look who'd be your biggest opponent.
YES - Amelie Mauresmo, who's been actually quite offensive lately, but still WE OWN HER all the way.:tape:

Andrew..
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Not sure if Lindsay would have produced the type of tennis she showed last year, in order to win it this year...and still Amelie played really well, similar to last year.
JuJu was probably tired=lacked her normal dynamicy, still she's not as good grascourt player that Momo is.
Congrats to the champion, but look who she did beat on route to win the whole thing: a bunch of "one slam wonders":lol: and visibly tired Juju:lol:

Come back Lindsay - when there's no WS, JHH/Clijsters are vulnerable, Hingis is not the same, Pierce injured, Sharapova more erratic than usual, Kuznetsova and other Russians are all beatable - just look who'd be your biggest opponent.
YES - Amelie Mauresmo, who's been actually quite offensive lately, but still WE OWN HER all the way.:tape:
Grand slam final, I'm picking Mauresmo.