PDA

View Full Version : Jelena & Wimbledon

Freakan
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Hopefully that will be a breaktrough tournament for her, just like it was 7 years ago :yeah:

1st round of qualies:

Tuesday
Court 15 11.00 am
1. Ladies' Qual. Singles
Tiffany Dabek (USA) vs Sarah Coles (GBR)
2. Ladies' Qual. Singles
Selima Sfar (TUN) vs Meilen Tu (USA)[18]
3. Ladies' Qual. Singles
Alexandra Stevenson (USA) vs Jelena Dokic (AUS)

In their 1st meeting (QF of Wimbledon in 1999), Alexandra won 6:3 1:6 6:3.
After that, they met 6 times but never on grass. Jelena leads in their H2H 4:3

Go Jelena! :woohoo: :rocker: :D

Dexter
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM
@jm0! :crazy: :rocker:

MilanDokic
Jun 19th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Jelena's part of draw:

(11) Poutchek vs Bachmann
Stevenson vs Dokić
Kudryavtseva vs Perebiynis
Shvedova vs (19) Meusburger

JimM
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Sheesh!! A real tough one for Jelena!! Alexandra will be hard to beat, she has been in some tough matches this year.

Good luck Jelena
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM

Babolatpro880
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Jelena's got a pretty good draw in my opinion. The seeds in her section are basically garbage, or at least have been lately. My biggest concern is from Perebiynis or one of the Russians.

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Live scoring of Jelena's game at

http://www.wimbledon.org

She will be on court 15

:)

JimM

tennisboi
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
C'mon Jelena

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Jelena holds serve fro 0-30 down.

1-1 Stevenson serving

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
40-30 come Jelca brea her

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Jelena holds 2-2

COme on Jeca :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Whoever is marking the scoreboard should be shot. Had Jeca at 15-40

then corrected it :(

2-3 Jeca to serve

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
We all knew this would be a tough one 3-3

might even be two tie breakers

COme on Jelena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Jeca breaks her 4-3 serving

GO Jelena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Hold serve !!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:17 PM
15-30 :(

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Jelena holds 5-3 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Serving for the set 4-5

Come on Jelena

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Way to go Jelena 6-4 and won too love :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
taking their time starting 2nd set wonder if a trainer has been called??

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Jelena breaks her and holds !!! 2-0

Way to go Jelena :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Jelena serving 1-2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Hold serve Jelena 40-30!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Holds 3-1!!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Jelena too serve 2-3 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
deuce

COme on Jelena you must hold serve :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MilanDokic
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:00 PM
C'mon Jelena!

Dokic vs. Stevenson 6:4, 4:2 at the moment!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Yoh!! She holds and tough or what Alexandra to serve 2-4

Nearly there Jeca!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

MilanDokic
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
4:3!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Jelena too serve 4-3
Hold and Break. Hold and break.

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
15-40 :( :(

Come on Jelena fight!!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
deuce :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Way to go!!
She held!! 5-3

Alexandra too serve 3-5

Break her here Jelena !!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Jelena serving for the set!!
This is it Hold your serve!!
Vamos Jelena!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
15 - 30 come on Jelena you must hold!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
3-40 COme on Jelena fight!!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
broke :(:(

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
COme on Jelena Break and Hold!! Break and Hold

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
5-6 serving to stay in the set :(:(:(

COme on Jelena you must hold serve :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
15-30 not good, and I dont think she has the legs for a third set :(:(

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM
tie break

COme on Jelena!! Dont let your serve wander!!
Vamos!!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Come on Jelena 4-3!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
4-5 :(:(:(

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
1-1 :(:(:(

not good

She will have to pull out all the stops now.

I hope she has the legs!!

JimM

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
deuce struggling to hold serve :(:(

Come on Jelena!! You can do it!!

(she cant hear me, but the positive waves will help her :):):) )

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Nope!! Broken and I think thats it for this Wimbles. Not enough matches behind her.

She played well though the 1st and 2nd sets, it was just too much to expect. She need to win more Challengers.

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Yep 3-1!!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:56 PM
4-1 :(:(

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM
deuce she is still fighting come on Jelena!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:02 PM
5-1 :(:(:(

But Stevenson has had a lot more matches, and WTA ones at that, this year than Jelena has.

She has to get back into the Challengers seriously now if she hopes to improve her ranking. She shown that she still has what it takes .

Well tried Jelena!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Freakan
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:30 PM
She lost 6:4 6:7 (4) 2:6 :o
I hope she won't take a looong break, like the one after AO :o

cindy
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
jeca.... :sad: keep on trying anyway one day she will come back for sure!

JimM
Jun 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry for posting a big article, but it show what a load of tripe Stevenson's after match spiel is. Jelena was serving for the Match and lost her nerve. Maybe the AO came back. Jelena lost the match. Stevenson didnt win it.

"Stevenson Ousts Dokic at Qualifying

Tuesday, 20 June, 2006

The last time that Alexandra Stevenson met Jelena Dokic on a grass court, it was in the quarter-finals of the 1999 Wimbledon Championships. While the setting of this qualifying match at the Bank of England Sports Ground at Roehampton was less illustrious than that of the All England Club, this first round qualifying match was a keenly-fought contest, with Stevenson running out the eventual winner in three sets.

While both Stevenson and Dokic are two players on the comeback trail, it was Stevenson – a former Wimbledon semi-finalist in 1999 – who proved that she has recovered from the shoulder injury which has hampered her game for the past 22 months.

The 25-year-old American, currently ranked 143, recovered well from the loss of a tight first set to defeat another player who is also on the comeback trail, namely Jelena Dokic, 4-6, 7-6 (6-4), 6-2 in an encounter reminiscent of the quarter-final battle the two had in 1999. On that day, Stevenson also emerged the winner.

In the interim the two have suffered from various ailments and/or personal problems, but both are keen to regain a foothold back in the top levels of the game.

Stevenson, who suffered back problems during the two-hour, 12-minute encounter for which she took a medical time-out and twice received physio treatment at changeovers, was all smiles at the end of the match, a match she described as ‘tough’ but the fact that she had drawn the Australian Dokic, 23, in the first round had not phased her.

She was delighted at having come through unscathed. “I was out for two years with my shoulder problem,” she revealed. “I had surgery for it and now it is perfectly repaired.”

The initial injury came about through her service action but she has not changed her action, but instead reduced its power.
In the match she felt her back tighten midway through the first set and knew what action she required the physio to take when she called for her. The treatment worked a treat and as the wind picked up and her opponent’s game slowly disintegrated, Stevenson took command.

For the best part of 90-minutes, Dokic was in control with her flat drives and strong serving but when she failed to serve out for the match at 5-3 when she delivered three double faults, the match became tense. That tension was also evident in the subsequent tie break where again, two more double faults when trailing 4-5, handed the second set to the American.

With Stevenson in the ascendancy, Dokic, who is currently ranked 681, struggled to match the power game of her higher ranked opponent who was now reveling in the windy conditions. “That suited me,” Stevenson said. “I’ve practised for it knowing that it gets windy here in England. Her game is one-dimensional and it collapsed with the wind. She was playing well at the beginning and I was surprised by it but I’ve got over my first hurdle – two more and then the seven at Wimbledon.”

louloubelle
Jun 21st, 2006, 02:48 AM
Always a bit of needle between these two :devil:

Hope Jelena keeps ploughing on and doesn't hide after this set back. She's seems to be finding some touch - except for the serve which is usually the last thing to come good after a comeback.

JDLover
Jun 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM
The article is BS if anyones game is one dimensional its Alex, at least Jelena has won titles and she has won big matches.

MilanDokic
Jun 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=107802

Dokic confident of resurrecting career
Wednesday Jun 21 13:38 AEST

Australia's Jelena Dokic is confident new coach Dado Majoli can help resurrect her stalled tennis career which took another knock in a dramatic first round exit from Wimbledon qualifying.

Dokic was trying to get into the grand slam tournament where she made her name as a 16-year-old qualifier seven years ago by beating world No.1 Martina Hingis 6-2 6-0 in 1999 en route to the quarter-finals before reaching the semi-finals the following year.

But the former world No.4 is now ranked 681 and aged 23 and nothing comes as easily on court as it once did.

Dokic was pitted against American Alexandra Stevenson, a player in a similar situation.

Stevenson, ranked 143 and returning from injury, was also the player who beat Dokic in that Wimbledon quarterfinal in 1999.

Dokic was one set ahead and serving at 5-4 up in the second when she committed three double faults in a row to give Stevenson a crucial break and eventual victory 4-6 7-6 6-2 at Roehampton.

Despite the disappointment, Dokic, competing as Australian after switching allegiances back from her native Serbia last year, believes she is headed in the right direction with new coach Majoli.

"I feel like it's working well, I don't think I was at this level a couple of months ago," Dokic said.

"We said we would try it ... I think he wants to work and I'm willing to work with him and I think he can help me.

"He's been through a lot obviously with Iva and I think he knows what I need and how tough it is to come back and I need someone in a situation like this who can lift me up again."

Like Dokic, Iva Majoli reached a career-high ranking of No.4.

She beat Hingis in the 1997 French Open final but, after a quarterfinals appearance at Roland Garros in 1998, she Majoli failed to reach the third round of another Grand Slam event and retired in 2004.

Following her well-documented family problems, particularly with outspoken father Damir, Dokic's career and ranking plummeted.

After realigning with Australia, Dokic received a wildcard to this year's Australian Open but exited in the first round.

"I went all the way up, now I'm all the way down," said Dokic, who also received a wildcard to Wimbledon qualifying.

"I feel like I have a long way to go, but I would like to try to come back still, and I think I just need to play some smaller events and mentally to get back on track.

"It's very difficult when you've been so far up to come down and play well again. It took me hundreds of matches to get there, so I think it will not take one or two now to come back."

Dokic did not want to set a time frame or any specific goals for her return, but said she aimed to get her ranking between 100 and 200 so she could make qualifying for the 2007 Australian Open.

Having played only one competitive tournament since January, Dokic admitted allowing nerves from a lack of match practice to get to her against Stevenson and said she would focus on smaller ITF events in Europe to build her confidence over the rest of the season.

"If she had beaten me 6-1 6-1 it would have been a different story," Dokic said.

"But I feel like I could have won that match and I should have won that match and you never know what could have happened from there.

"Maybe I could have qualified, maybe not."

JimM
Jun 21st, 2006, 06:26 AM
Tnx Milan for info. Good to hear her being so positive about the future. She must try and win as many ITF events as she can between now and the end of the year. If Hingis can do it, so can Jelena.

JimM

JimM
Jun 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM
Tatiana Poutchek (BLR)[11] def Alexandra Stevenson (USA)
6-4 4-6 6-2

Teach her to choose her remarks.

Tatiana must have played a multi-dimensional game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JimM

cindy
Jun 21st, 2006, 06:12 PM
Tnx Milan for info. Good to hear her being so positive about the future. She must try and win as many ITF events as she can between now and the end of the year. If Hingis can do it, so can Jelena.

JimM

hingis has been more than help by the wta!!! it's :mad: me!!! if she had to play the qualy and some lil tourney like jeca she will not be on the top 20 right now! anyway it will be harder for jeca so the come back will be bigger!
thx a lot milan for the interview! she looks quite confident and optimistic and realistic...thx again! you rock man!

JackFrost
Jun 21st, 2006, 07:46 PM
hingis has been more than help by the wta!!! it's :mad: me!!! if she had to play the qualy and some lil tourney like jeca she will not be on the top 20 right now! anyway it will be harder for jeca so the come back will be bigger!
thx a lot milan for the interview! she looks quite confident and optimistic and realistic...thx again! you rock man!

Well, but Hingis is playing a lot better than Jelena. She did not lose against some 300-500 ranked player or even Alexandra Stevenson, but against Venus Williams, Dementieva, Clijsters. So I think it´s not fair to say, Hingis is in Top 20 because the WTA helped her.
If Jelena had better results in her comebacks, the tournament managers would surely give her wildcards too.

Don´t get me wrong...I like Jelena Dokic a lot, not everything is the fault of other player or the wta.

louloubelle
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:09 AM
Happy that she is still positive and sees the loss as a means of finding where her game is at now. She did well, and lost the match herself, not through anything special from Stevenson.

Her idea of coming through the lower events is a good one. Hopefully she doesn't withdraw from so many in the next 6 months.

JimM
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Short article on Stevenson's match yesterday

Poutchek Puts Out Stevenson

Wednesday, 21 June, 2006

Former Wimbledon semi-finalist Alexandra Stevenson was unable to progress past the second round of qualifying after being defeated in three sets by Tatiana Poutchek.

A sizeable crowd turned up to watch the contest between the American, a semi-finalist in 1999, and her Belarussian opponent. But while entertainment was plentiful – both women were vocal to say the least – the tennis was not up to much.

On Tuesday, Stevenson ousted another former Wimbledon semi-finalist, Jelena Dokic in a challenging three-set encounter, but today the American looked to have run out of steam. While the 25-year-old was always determined - strutting around the court, glaring at her opponent and intermittently pumping her fist – it was ultimately not enough.

After losing the first set, Stevenson clawed her way back by taking the second and forcing the match into a deciding set. Stevenson recovered from an early break to even the match at 2-2 in the third, but that was the last game she won.

As Poutchek pummeled groundstrokes deep into the angles of the court, Stevenson relied on power to see her out of trouble. But it did not work, with many of her unforced errors bouncing inches long of the baseline.

Poutcheck simply had to get the ball in court, and very occasionally mix the game up with lobs to wrong-foot her opponent. Her strategy worked and she eventually emerged the victor 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

Written by Helen Gilbert

Belco
Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
:bounce: :lol:

MilanDokic
Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Jelena from tomorrow most likely will play in Padova!

Williams-forever
Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM

Are you sure?? She's still an alternate and she hasn't received a WC...

JDLover
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Lets hope she gets in or they give her a wc, the best thing for Jelena is to keep playing, I know it was a tough match but it seems like she is moving the right direction go Jelena show everyone what you can do.

Babolatpro880
Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:12 PM
I don't believe you. You're almost always wrong. Prove it.

And, why did you say from tomorrow? Can you predict the future?

JimM
Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:12 AM
If she is playing tomorrow, there must have been a lot of pull-outs or she got a WC Qualie. :confused: :confused:

We'll see what happens. It would be good if she did play.

Alternates
Pos Name Nation Ranking Special Points Priority Information
1 VILLALOBOS-CRUZ, Lorena MEX 609 1
2 CLARKE-MAGANA, Erika MEX 611 1
3 MERUZZI, Giulia ITA 614 1
WCM MORTELLO, Giorgia ITA 619 1
4 QUERCIA, Federica ITA 631 2
5 GATTO-MONTICONE, Giulia ITA 689 1
6 $ DOKIC, Jelena AUS 692 1

MilanDokic
Jun 23rd, 2006, 04:31 AM
Some of players will withdraw because they are in Wimbledon main draw, for instance, Abramovic...

cindy
Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'd like to believe you milan...you may be wrong but if it's true it's a good news so I'm with you on this one

andrewbroad
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
=================
THE CHAMPIONSHIPS (Wimbledon, England; grass; Grand Slam)
================= http://www.wimbledon.org/ (http://www.wimbledon.org/)
Photos
------

Jelena Dokic:
http://tennisrulz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048 (http://tennisrulz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4048)
http://dokic.atspace.com/photos_20.htm (http://dokic.atspace.com/photos_20.htm)

----------
Qualifying (Roehampton, England)
----------

1q - Jelena Dokic [WC] lt. Alexandra Stevenson, 6-4 6-7 (4/7) 2-6

First Set:
DOKIC _* * *@* * 6
STEVE * * *___*_ 4

Second Set:
DOKIC @* * * *___* 6(4)
STEVE __* * * *@*_ 7(7)

Third Set:
DOKIC *_____*_ 2
STEVE _*@*@* * 6

Jelena was leading 6-4 5-3* but choked (serving three double faults at 5-4), just as she did at Auckland and the Australian Open. :( She left the court in tears. The match lasted 2h12m.

Jelena: "I think I didn't play badly until then, but I think I got nervous. It's a lack of match-play. I played perfect until then, I couldn't have asked for anything more, and I just had to serve it out. I beat myself, not her beating me, which is disappointing; maybe if I had a few more matches, I may have got through."

Ironically it was Stevenson who beat Jelena in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon 1999, when they were both qualifiers!

But Stevenson has endured an even worse slump than Jelena, and is currently ranked #610 to Jelena's #598.

Stevenson: "I was out for two years with my shoulder-problem. I had surgery for it, and now it is perfectly repaired."

Stevenson suffered back-problems during the match, taking a medical timeout and physio-treatment at two changeovers.

From www.wimbledon.org (http://www.wimbledon.org/):
>>>
For the best part of 90 minutes, Dokic was in control with her flat drives and strong serving, but when she failed to serve out for the match at 5-3 when she delivered three double faults, the match became tense. That tension was also evident in the subsequent tiebreak where again, two more double faults when trailing 4-5, handed the second set to the American.

With Stevenson in the ascendancy, Dokic, who is currently ranked 681, struggled to match the power game of her higher-ranked opponent who was now reveling in the windy conditions. "That suited me," Stevenson said. "I've practised for it knowing that it gets windy here in England. Her game is one-dimensional and it collapsed with the wind. She was playing well at the beginning and I was surprised by it but I've got over my first hurdle – two more and then the seven at Wimbledon."
<<<

glynos: "My friend who was there said Jelena hit loads of double faults and unforced errors (particularly in the second set tie-break). He also said Alex was awful and had put on a lot of weight."

Jelena: "If she had beaten me 6-1 6-1, it would have been a different story. But I feel like I could have won that match, and I should have won that match, and you never know what could have happened from there. Maybe I could have qualified, maybe not.

"I feel like it's working well, I don't think I was at this level a couple of months ago. We said we would try it... I think he [coach Dado Majoli] wants to work, and I'm willing to work with him, and I think he can help me. He's been through a lot obviously with Iva, and I think he knows what I need, and how tough it is to come back, and I need someone in a situation like this who can lift me up again.

"It's a different story completely. I went all the way up, now I'm all the way down. I feel like I have a long way to go, but I would like to try to come back still, and I think I just need to play some smaller events, and mentally to get back on track. It's very difficult when you've been so far up to come down and expect to play well again. It took me hundreds of matches to get there, so I think it will not just take one or two now to come back. There are no goals. I just have nothing to lose; every match I win, I can only gain. I will play smaller ITF events and try to get some matches there, and that will help me mentally as well, and help my confidence, and try to work my way up."

Stevenson lost to Tatiana Poutchek in the second round of qualifying, and Poutchek lost to Yaroslava Shvedova in the third round - making Jelena the wooden-spoonist (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/wooden_spoon/) of her sector of the qualifying-draw.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/dokic/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/dokic/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge_II/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jelena_Dokic_Players_Lounge_II/)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)