PDA

View Full Version : University students and others :)

Julie
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Hey,

I was just wondering as it is soemthing that has been commented upon where i work many times.

Because you pay huge fees now to get through uni do you autimatically assume you will pass??

personally i still think the majority off people feel its not a given - but then i also know some stuents who expect the degree for their money and dont want to do anything towards it. What are your opinions??

Yasmine
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I personnally find it outrageous that students have to pay so much to go through public education. I was lucky enough to go through at a time where i didn't have to pay any fees and did my postgrad in the UK where fees were paid for me by my department thankfully.
I don't think a degree is a given and it certainly shouldn't be a given, what value would have a course where people just need to pay to get it :shrug: although it's the case in private courses I don't agree with it. Selection by money rather than anything else, it's becoming more and more like that unfortunately...

SloKid
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Over here public education is free in most cases.
And getting a degree is not easy by any means.

Money can get you to a uni in some cases and not by taking anyone's place if they have the grades to get in.
And no money in the world can get you a degree or even to pass an exam.

I'm in the middle of an exam period and let me tell you it's hard. :help:

!<blocparty>!
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
The system in the UK is better than say the US. Just because you come from a poor background doesn't mean you can't go to the 'best' Universities - Oxford, Cambridge etc. There's a lot of support for low income families. Loads of people in my sixth form are off to Uni in September that have very poor parents... they get grants from the government and University's, that cover tuitition fees/some living costs etc. If you work hard enough there's nothing that stops you getting a really good education.

Yes, it's expensive and you have to pay a lot, but that's tough shit. Everyone here is entitled to student loans, that cost the government a lot of money. For every £100 you borrow they pay the £40 interest that comes with it.

Plus everyone is treated the same when it comes to admissions. No matter how much money you have.

skanky~skanketta
Jun 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
in my case, i'm lucky to have my parents pay for me.

and yes, i am never worried about failing cuz i put in the work and more.

Monica_Rules
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well i think if you or you parents are paying that much money for you to go to uni you should have to put the work in to pass your degree at least. I'm doing ok at the moment i'm on a 2.1 but could easily slip to a 2.2 if i don't work a bit harder next year.

azmad_88
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
since we are talking about university...

can u guys tell me what course are u studying in specific...diploma in wat? degree in wat?....

~CANUCK~
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hells no. What my uni does is show the breakdowns of the grades given out in the classes you took so you can see how many people passed failed ect... And there have been bobo classes that ive taken such as INTE290 which is basically learning how to use microsoft office. There were like 800 people to take the class and 100 people failed it. I have yet to take a class where no one failed. One of my classes last semester had a 20% fail rate. So i don't believe i will just pass by just paying my fees.

tfannis
Jun 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I studied Biology for 4 years and all I had to pay was €88 a year :banana: (But that's rather exceptional, normally you pay about €300 I think, which is very doable) Love the Belgian system ;)

For 4 x €88 you can't by grades I'm afraid :lol:

MinnyGophers
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I go to an university in the US, and tuition is close to 20,000 - 25,000 dollars / year and that's for undergrad only. And no, people (well most anyways) do not and WILL NOT pass unless they put in the work.
Also, it is true that tuition in Europe and basically everywhere else is a lot cheaper and that poor students have access to more elite universities, however, it is more cut throat in the US, as only those who have worked hard enough get scholarships and don't expect to get a free pass through school. It's true that it is nowadays hard to afford to go to college/universities, but most people work through school. I guess at least to me, it is an enticement to do well in school so that I can end up paying all those accumulated debts...

pimpie
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
I studied Biology for 4 years and all I had to pay was €88 a year :banana: (But that's rather exceptional, normally you pay about €300 I think, which is very doable) Love the Belgian system ;)

WTF really? :eek:

Here in the netherlands you have to pay like 1500 + 500 for your books

tfannis
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
WTF really? :eek:

Here in the netherlands you have to pay like 1500 + 500 for your books

Yeah well, I'm not sure about the €300, but it's €500 max.
This year I'm doing a one year Master after Master Journalism, which is a lot more expensive than any other Master (except for some international/business/blah/don't know specials ;)); it cost me €900 :shrug:

MinnyGophers
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
This year I'm doing a one year Master after Master Journalism, which is a lot more expensive than any other Master (except for some international/business/blah/don't know specials ;)); it cost me €900 :shrug:

I hate you. The cost of your Masters is the cost of my books for one semester. :sad:

Diam's
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:22 PM
I had to pay 21€ so :shrug:

Hingiswinsthis
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I always wondered why a friend of mine moved back to Belgium to go to a university there after we graduated high school several years ago. Heh....so that's why eh...

Anyways, I've been lucky to have been going to college here in the states on a full ride.

Elske
Jun 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM

+ Books are very expensive (mine are anyway :o ) but still, it's quite cheap compared to other countries :)

but only about 40% passes:o

Julie
Jun 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
It seems my thoughts that the majority of people still work hard is the right one then after all :)

either that or the people here on wtaworld are a really studious clever and sensible bunch :)

~CANUCK~
Jun 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
It seems my thoughts that the majority of people still work hard is the right one then after all :)

either that or the people here on wtaworld are a really studious clever and sensible bunch :)
I really think it depends on where you go to school. I mean we have this common belief in canada that if you get into any of the ivy league schools in the US you have already done all the hard work and you will pass no matter what. And in that aspect you are buying your degree. I have no idea if this is true or not, but like i said a lot of people think it is.

gentenaire
Jun 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM

It probably depends on the school too. I remember hosting students from Brighton once and they were surprised when they saw that I did have to work and study. They freely admitted they didn't have to do a thing, they only had about 4 courses a year apparently.

TdF_DBLL
Jun 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Hey,

I was just wondering as it is soemthing that has been commented upon where i work many times.

Because you pay huge fees now to get through uni do you autimatically assume you will pass??

personally i still think the majority off people feel its not a given - but then i also know some stuents who expect the degree for their money and dont want to do anything towards it. What are your opinions??

I think it's hard to say. Cause we have to score 2/3rd of our points in the first year to advance. A might not make it this year, and than I have to quit this study and find something else. I think it's a weird rule, but on the other hand it's understandable, cause last year some guys didn't score any point and they just started again.

duck
Jun 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hey,

it's kind of self-defeating too if they expect a degree for nothing. Word soon gets out that such-and-such a uni is allowing this to happen and the value of the degree collapses. Also it has to be more difficult if your degree has a placement module like in medicine/pharmacy/nursing. You will get found out very fast if you've done nothing but hopefully before you get your hands on patients!

TdF_DBLL
Jun 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM
The prices in the Netherlands are 1500€ a year to be allowed to study (you may do as much studies as you can in a year ;)) And books vary mostly between 300 and 600€ a year. So really expensive...

Crazy Canuck
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
If you live in a country that charges through the roof for university/college, then attending should be considered an investment. You are paying through the roof for the betterment of your future. You aren't entitled to anything that you aren't willing to work for. It's foolish to think otherwise.

tfannis
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I hate you. The cost of your Masters is the cost of my books for one semester. :sad:

Ow ow, you're free to do some Masters overhere :angel: ;)

bailey
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I studied law at a university in Switzerland and it cost around 800 Dollars per year (all the books not included). So that's not very much when you compare with other countries and I don't think that anyone ever had the idea that he will pass just because he payed (or he would be really nuts). There is always quite a big amount of students who fail at the exams anyways.

Xian
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Austria about 700 $ a year, books not included, and the service you get for that is just poor

Jeff
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Yes fees are over-the-top high, but no I don't expect to pass without effort. When people are paying the price to go to school, they are making a commitment. If they are going to put out the money, they need put out the time to study and do well, otherwise if they pass the degree means nothing and the thousands of dollards are down the drain because they don't know crap after graduating.

TdF_DBLL
Jun 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Yes fees are over-the-top high, but no I don't expect to pass without effort. When people are paying the price to go to school, they are making a commitment. If they are going to put out the money, they need put out the time to study and do well, otherwise if they pass the degree means nothing and the thousands of dollards are down the drain because they don't know crap after graduating.

I agree, but there are no international standards. So someone can do a similair study paying a low price and the study is quite easy. Or the otherway around. :tape:

NyCPsU
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
im paying ridiculous money to go to college in the u.s. and if i did not do the work i would fail out really quickly. All universities are a business here and they dont care what you do or what you get from them as long as they have your money.

MinnyGophers
Jun 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Which is what I think is good from our system because it weeds out people who don't put in the effort. Going to university is not for everyone, and people do have to make a choice to either study hard or do something else if they want to make it through. I have to admit that it gives me great pleasure to see those people who spend their time partying and basically sitting on their ass all day, flunk out of school and waste the money mommy and daddy "invested" in them. Add bonus points if it's from an Ivy League.

My parents believe in hard work and they forced this into me since I was young. I worked two jobs in high school and am working too right now to put myself through my undergrad and hopefully med school. Let me tell you that it teaches you not to be lazy and not to take education for granted.

Ryan
Jun 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I dont expect to pass without putting in the effort, but I hate the attitude some University professors have. I pay $7500 to go to Uni every year, and I do ALL of my work. But, come exam/paper/midterm time, it gets really stressful, and I hate that most of my Uni profs act like they are the only class giving out homework and assignments. I completely understand that they shouldn't have to schedule their work loads around everyone's schedule, but some are really inconsiderate and don't allow any extensions. I just think that if I'm paying a ridiculous amount of money to have these people teach me, they should show some consideration to their students.

Jeff
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I agree, but there are no international standards. So someone can do a similair study paying a low price and the study is quite easy. Or the otherway around. :tape:

Yes this is definetly true, but again, it comes down to how you "invest" your money. That is why you have to do your homework and figure out what the best school is for you. There are schools that are cheaper and give similar (yet easier) studies as you mentioned, but the opposite can also be true. There are some very good schools that offer top-notch education for less money than some of the more expensive, prestigous schools. As I mentioned, it is my belief that the money put into my education is an investment, and therefore I put in the effort to do the best I can. Others may not do the same, and if they go to a school that allows it...well then they get by easy, but waste their time and money.

Jeff
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I would like to say that textbooks are a COMPLETE RIP OFF. I spent $100 on a book about the size of a hardcover novel, and took it to the buyback last friday and they only offered me freaken $9.00 for it...oh but they offered me a Coca Cola plastic mug :lol: How crappy is that.

Princess Sarah.
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I have a loan from the govt. when i earn enough they start taking it out of mypay...i currently owe about 6 grand...and i think i'm on the road to failure this semester, so i don't expect to automatically pass.

MH0861
Jun 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I pay so much money to go to school, that I could not imagine not putting in any effort and failing/getting poor grades like so many people do.

Prizeidiot
Jun 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM
In Australia, we have a system where tertiary education is largely subsidised by the government. However, we still do have to pay a fair bit, which is taken out of our income when/if we find employement and earn a certain amount.

And no passing is not a given at all.

jenny161185
Jun 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
in Ireland its something like €750 are yr while doing your degree/diploma/certificate and then i think it costs more for a post grad/phd i just passed the first year exams of my degree so WAHOO!