PDA

View Full Version : Pennywise Returns!

Mattographer
Jun 17th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Posted by Clint Morris on June 7, 2006

My wife’s going to be throwing spatulas around the room when she reads this bit.

They’re remaking Stephen King’s “It”. They being scripter Peter Filardi (“Salem’s Lot”, “Nightmares & Dreamscapes”) and the Sci-Fic Channel. And I’m betting Tim Curry’s invitation has been lost in the mail.

Like the first televisation of the Stephen King yarn, it’ll be made as a mini-series. In this case, it looks to be a four-hour broadcast event on Sci-Fi. (Initially, TNT had shown interest in screening it, but they were only offering two hours of air-time for Pennywise, ya see?)

The original mini-series, directed by Tommy Lee Wallace, featured a slick ensemble headed up by such names as John Ritter, Annette O’Toole, Richard Masur, Richard Thomas, Harry Anderson, and a young Seth Green.

“It” tells of seven youths who have to defeat a demonic spite named Pennywise (played with relish by Tim Curry) that dresses in a clown suit and terrorizes a 1960's town in Maine. The clown returns, years later, to pluck his adversaries off.

Filardi told Creature Corner (http://www.creature-corner.com/) a couple of years back – when “It” was set up at TNT – that he has some new ideas in store for the remake. “If you remember ['Stuttering Bill' Denbrough] the writer was sort've the main character. But we're going to take it from Beverly Marsh's point of view...Here's this girl in the center of this big ensemble of guys. Going with her point of view is neat, it'll allow us a little bit of license. I think it could be great too. [Retelling IT is] another cool, more interesting exploration of friendship and time and how we all kind of grow up despite our best efforts not to".

Fangoria (http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6236) has the lowdown.

SOURCE: http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060607_pennywise_returns.html

---------------

Oh no. This is just wrong. The original is a classic, and it doesn't need to be remade or messed with, in my opinion. Geez, there are so many remakes coming out these days.

katiektc
Jun 17th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Oh.My.God.

I actually nearly cried when I saw the name 'Pennywise' on this thread! I'm so frightened of that film it's not even funny...and now there'll be another version! Eek! :scared: :sad:

~Red balloons~ *whimper*

;)

selking
Jun 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
http://www.cis.unisa.edu.au/%7Ecissgi/pennywise.jpg

hmmm

Mattographer
Jun 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM

hmmm
It scared me shit! :scared:

CondiLicious
Jun 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
OMG! I scrolled down after reading the first few lines of the first post... read Katie's post and agreed and then scrolled a bit more and I SCREAMED! Fuck! That stupid clown scares me shitless and has done since I was ickle. I don't think any TV/movie has ever scared me as much.

Mattographer
Jun 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
OMG! I scrolled down after reading the first few lines of the first post... read Katie's post and agreed and then scrolled a bit more and I SCREAMED! Fuck! That stupid clown scares me shitless and has done since I was ickle. I don't think any TV/movie has ever scared me as much.
It's everyone's nightmares! :lol: For those people who in our ages group (present between 18 to 25) that is it! :p

fnuf7
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM

hmmm

Unnecessary! :scared: :eek:

As much as that clown terrifies me, I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of this story...maybe I'm being a bit masochistic there ;)

katiektc
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:12 PM
That picture! :scared: Tim Curry scares me so much. Even watching Home Alone2 all I could think about was 'IT' !!!!! ;)

I dunno about the remake...I'm sure modern day make up/effects will make Pennywise look even more scary looking :eek: *if possible*

Lol, I love horror films, but IT and Candyman still scare the utter crap out of me.

fnuf7
Jun 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
That picture! :scared: Tim Curry scares me so much. Even watching Home Alone2 all I could think about was 'IT' !!!!! ;)

I dunno about the remake...I'm sure modern day make up/effects will make Pennywise look even more scary looking :eek: *if possible*

Lol, I love horror films, but IT and Candyman still scare the utter crap out of me.

Ooooh Candyman! :scared: I swear that's where my bee/wasp phobia began...:scared:

Was IT Tim Curry?! :scratch: If so then I totally didn't notice, I now may never watch another Tim Curry film again...;)

Mattographer
Jun 18th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Ooooh Candyman! :scared: I swear that's where my bee/wasp phobia began...:scared:

Was IT Tim Curry?! :scratch: If so then I totally didn't notice, I now may never watch another Tim Curry film again...;)
Yep, it's Tim Curry :lol: Hard to believe it's him, eh? ;)

Knizzle
Jun 18th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I thought I was the only one who was petrified of "It". :scared:

That one scene where they are looking at the postcard and it springs into motion and "It' slowly makes his way towards the kids doing cartwheels and clown tricks on the way is the scariest shit I've ever seen in a movie.

hingisGOAT
Jun 18th, 2006, 08:07 AM
It's everyone's nightmares! :lol: For those people who in our ages group (present between 18 to 25) that is it! :p

funny you say that because i agree -- 'it' is the most disturbing movie from my childhood and still scares me.

the bubble in the sink :scared:

katiektc
Jun 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I thought I was the only one who was petrified of "It". :scared:

That one scene where they are looking at the postcard and it springs into motion and "It' slowly makes his way towards the kids doing cartwheels and clown tricks on the way is the scariest shit I've ever seen in a movie.

OMG, yes! :scared: And when the guys little brother at the start is playing with his paper boat and the voices start coming from the drain...*syke*

It's a shame about the rubbish 'random big spider thing' ending, because otherwise it would have been a really good scary movie. Everything up to the ending still scares me though :unsure:

fnuf7
Jun 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
OMG, yes! :scared: And when the guys little brother at the start is playing with his paper boat and the voices start coming from the drain...*syke*

It's a shame about the rubbish 'random big spider thing' ending, because otherwise it would have been a really good scary movie. Everything up to the ending still scares me though :unsure:

:lol: Yeah totally agree, the drain thing still haunts me, I can't even read that bit of the book cos I keep remembering how creepy it was in the film :scared:

But the spider bit at the end did kind of detriorate the fear-level really...didn't quite get that part :scratch: Would have been much more scary if he just stayed as a clown :scared:

Mattographer
Jun 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Totally agreed!

It would be good to see what they will do this time around. Especially at the end- there was no giant spider thing with flourescent lights in the book... That totally killed the miniseries for me.
That's true. My mum told me the same thing and it was a different battle to the book. She has like 30 Stephen King books in her room! :lol:

katiektc
Jun 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the book is really good <really, really long though ;)> and might even be scarier than the film!

When this new version comes out, I'll have to go and see it, mostly to see if I'm over my clown fear (I'm so not) or if I'm still a big scaredy-cat!

PointBlank
Jun 18th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Im 15 and even I had nightmares. Its not just your age group, its also for younger kids who have siblings in that age group that let us watch it at 5.

Bitches.

kabuki
Jun 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
The original was fine and all, but John Ritter and some of the other actors were crap, and the crap special effects at the conclusion ruined it.

Judging by the book, there is the potential for a much better movie. Hopefully this will be it.

pimpie
Jun 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM
man this movie scared the shit out of me when I was little

kabuki
Jun 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM

We all float down here!

:lol:

Sally Struthers
Jun 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
the book is soooooo much better than the tv movie was