PDA

View Full Version : Wildcard entries confirmed

JoeB_UK
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM
British pair Anne Keothavong and Katie O’Brien have today been confirmed as wildcard entries in the main draw of the Hastings Direct International Championships at Eastbourne.

Both British number one Keothavong and number three O’Brien come to the south coast after featuring in the main draw of the DFS Classic at the Edgbaston Priory Club earlier this week.

Four more British women; Melanie South, Sarah Borwell, Jane O’Donoghue and Georgie Stoop have all been given wildcard entries into the tournament’s qualifying competition which starts tomorrow (Saturday 17th June).

Borwell defeated South in the first round of the DFS Classic whilst O’Donoghue made it to the Wimbledon wildcard play-off final, also this week, at Raynes Park. They will all be looking to produce their best tennis in the build up to The Championships, Wimbledon next week.

Tournament Director Gavin Fletcher said: “We are delighted to welcome six British players to the Hastings Direct International Championships. It is a great opportunity for young developing British players to mix it with the top three players in the world. It will be a fantastic experience for them and I’m sure they will all get fantastic support from the crowd here at Devonshire Park.”

Meanwhile Russian Nadia Petrova, Nicole Vaidisova from the Czech Republic and France’s Tatiana Golovin have all pulled out of the main draw of the Eastbourne event.

Tickets are currently on sale for the Hastings Direct International Championships which offers tennis fans a fantastic opportunity to watch some of the world’s finest players. Ticket information is available from the Box Office on 01323 412000.

Qualifying for this year’s event will take place between Saturday 17 and Monday 19 of June 2006. The main draw will be played between Monday 19 and Saturday 24 June 2006 at Devonshire Park, Eastbourne. Each day’s play will commence at 11:30am.

MLF
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
I probably would have given Borwell a main draw wc over O'Brien but I guess all the wild cards are going to struggle in this event whether it's main draw or qualifying.

Drake1980
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Good luck Sarah in Qualies!!

Piggy
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Good luck to Anne!

Monica_Rules
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Go the british possy:)