PDA

View Full Version : Anyone competing in a tournament this summer?

GracefulVenus
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I will compete in two tournaments this summer:

The Lost Forest Open in Houston, Texas (hard-courts) July 7-9

The Sourthern Oaks NTRP in Baton, Rougue Louisiana (red clay) Aug 3-6

Not really ready for the Open bracket yet, so I will be competing at the 3.5 level in both tournaments. These are my first USTA tournaments. Wish me luck guys.

Anyone else competing? :wavey:

A'DAM
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Good Luck babe :kiss:

GracefulVenus
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Thank you very much

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I am!

Crape Myrtle Classic in Raleigh, NC. It's a "gay tournament" (although I assume anyone can enter) that benefits some local charities. :bounce: It's gonna be played July 28-30. :eek: It's gonna be so frickin' hot, but all the Yankees that come down will easily wilt in the southern heat so that'll give me an advantage! :banana:

You can click the link in my signature for more information. :wavey:

auntie janie
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Good luck to both of you. :kiss:

A'DAM
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I am!

Crape Myrtle Classic in Raleigh, NC. It's a "gay tournament" (although I assume anyone can enter) that benefits some local charities. :bounce: It's gonna be played July 28-30. :eek: It's gonna be so frickin' hot, but all the Yankees that come down will easily wilt in the southern heat so that'll give me an advantage! :banana:

Gay tournament!? Gush I want to have a web cam from the locker room :p

Ferosh
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Do the Gay Olympics count?

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Gay tournament!? Gush I want to have a web cam from the locker room :p

There's some pictures from last year's tournament on the link to my tennis club in my signature. There were some hot guys there, but whoever was taking the pictures didn't get too many of them!

(I'm not in any of the pics ) :p

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Do the Gay Olympics count?

Breaking beds isn't an Olympic sport :ras:

Ferosh
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Breaking beds isn't an Olympic sport :ras:

:lol: I beg to differ.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'm playing in the National Public Parks Championships next week. They're being held at the USTA National Tennis Center (US Open site). I'm in the mens doubles and mixed doubles draws and while I'm certainly not gonna be hoisting any hardware by the end of the week, I'm hoping to sneak through and win a round or two in each draw. It'll be a thrill to play on the US Open courts too!

TF Chipmunk
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
I don't think so :sad: I may be playing one in August, but that's a city tournament. I'm not confident in my game yet to go to the USTA-sanctioned tournaments just yet as I'm still coming back from wrist injury :sad:

darrinbaker00
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm playing in the National Public Parks Championships next week. They're being held at the USTA National Tennis Center (US Open site). I'm in the mens doubles and mixed doubles draws and while I'm certainly not gonna be hoisting any hardware by the end of the week, I'm hoping to sneak through and win a round or two in each draw. It'll be a thrill to play on the US Open courts too!
There aren't enough words to describe how envious I am of you. I hope you sneak through to the final of both draws. By the way, are any finals scheduled on a show court?

PointBlank
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I played in one so far in June. Tennessee State Junior Qualifying and I made the semi-finals so Im going to Southerns this weekend. You need to make the quarter-finals to get into Southerns automatically, if you lose before then its up to your ranking because there are some open spots after the 8 from each Southern state. :woohoo:. I dont really think Ill make the quarters in that which is what you need for Nationals, so I guess it will end there. I have one after that on clay in Tunica and the week after that Tennessee State Open. Ill finally have 2 weeks break before State Closed. Blah.

I played dobules in Qualifying and we got to the quarters, but it doesnt matter because doubles is really just for fun and my partner didnt make it to Southerns so I had to get another parnter.

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I will compete in two tournaments this summer:

The Lost Forest Open in Houston, Texas (hard-courts) July 7-9

The Sourthern Oaks NTRP in Baton, Rougue Louisiana (red clay) Aug 3-6

Not really ready for the Open bracket yet, so I will be competing at the 3.5 level in both tournaments. These are my first USTA tournaments. Wish me luck guys.

Anyone else competing? :wavey:

Good luck!

Its gonna be hot and humid in Houston and Baton Rouge this summer! USTA events are generally fun. Remember to take the time to meet new friends and attend the social events, if they have them.

Astroferlondon
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I'm playing the Barcelona GLTA (gay) tournament . September 15 . It will be held at the same site in which they celebrated the Olympic Games in 1992. Clay.

IceHock
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM
i am playing in acouple city tourneys in watertown,ny.my first tourneys ever,so i'm kinda nervous.although my sister says not to worry because i'm good,but it's prolly because i beat her so much.

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I'm playing in USTA tournaments. I just did the Midwest Championships Closed Qualifier. I did bad. :help:

iPatty
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Let's see, I just played in the North Carolina State Qualifier (did really bad) and got to the quarters in doubles. I won't be going to Southerns, unfortunately. Maybe next year.

This weekend, I'm playing in Newton as the #1 seed. I'll probably win the tournament, but I just need some confidence matches, you know? I don't know the rest of my schedule this summer, but I'm playing the North Carolina State Closed sometime soon. But yeah, I'll be playing a lot.

iPatty
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I played in one so far in June. Tennessee State Junior Qualifying and I made the semi-finals so Im going to Southerns this weekend. You need to make the quarter-finals to get into Southerns automatically, if you lose before then its up to your ranking because there are some open spots after the 8 from each Southern state. :woohoo:. I dont really think Ill make the quarters in that which is what you need for Nationals, so I guess it will end there. I have one after that on clay in Tunica and the week after that Tennessee State Open. Ill finally have 2 weeks break before State Closed. Blah.

I played dobules in Qualifying and we got to the quarters, but it doesnt matter because doubles is really just for fun and my partner didnt make it to Southerns so I had to get another parnter.

You're so good. Makes me sick. :sobbing:

Good luck at Southerns.

Wiggly
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Well, a family tournament between my ftaher, my brother and me :tape:

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:09 AM

Good luck at Southerns.

And you are probably better than me so shut up. :o

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM
There aren't enough words to describe how envious I am of you. I hope you sneak through to the final of both draws. By the way, are any finals scheduled on a show court?

I know for a fact they're definitely not using any of the stadium courts for this tournament. There's something like 600 people playing in this tournament in all of the divisions so I'm assuming the majority of the matches are going to be played on the practice courts/regular park courts, and then maybe they'll use the US Open courts from the quarterfinals or semifinals onward. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Court 11 though for the Mens and womens singles final (the biggest outer court).

cartmancop
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:59 AM
I'm playing a couple of small Jr. Tournaments :) Next week is on clay...Should be interesting :lol:

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I am!

Good luck! Keep us posted on your results

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Man that sounds so exciting. I would be lying if I didn't say I was jealous.:) Good luck though, let us know how it goes!

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I don't think so :sad: I may be playing one in August, but that's a city tournament. I'm not confident in my game yet to go to the USTA-sanctioned tournaments just yet as I'm still coming back from wrist injury :sad:
Look man, I am shitting bricks about these tournaments I will be competing in. This will be my first tournament ever and I have been playing for 1year and 3 months and have only had instruction for 2 months. Due to my dedication for learning the sport and hassling people on every court I can find in the Houston area I have advanced in skill quickly. I say go for it man!! Dont be afraid to compete in the USTA tourneys!!

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:36 AM

Wow! Sound like you have a good career going. How long have you been playing?

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Good luck!

Its gonna be hot and humid in Houston and Baton Rouge this summer! USTA events are generally fun. Remember to take the time to meet new friends and attend the social events, if they have them.
Thanks a bunch!

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Well I already played the biggest tourney, ended last week, biggest amateur tourney in canada. I started incredibly bad, won my first round but sucked in my second. I went in the B draw where my level went up, reached semis after winning 4 matches and lost in a very very tight three-setter in one of the best matches of my life. So all around I finished at 5-2 for the tourney and got some confidence for the summer.

This summer i play in two leagues, the local club one I usually win (but a very tough new guy this year!) and then the interclub league, where I represent my club against all the other ones in the region. I'll most likely play the 4 regional tournies in the A category, great level, very friendly, few tournies on clay to change, it'll be fun.

And in the fall, I will start to play for McGill in the university circuit, so excited!

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:42 AM
I know for a fact they're definitely not using any of the stadium courts for this tournament. There's something like 600 people playing in this tournament in all of the divisions so I'm assuming the majority of the matches are going to be played on the practice courts/regular park courts, and then maybe they'll use the US Open courts from the quarterfinals or semifinals onward. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Court 11 though for the Mens and womens singles final (the biggest outer court).
SSSShhhhhhh!! You should have told anybody this secret. I would have lied through my teeth and made everyone envious;):yeah:

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Well I already played the biggest tourney, ended last week, biggest amateur tourney in canada. I started incredibly bad, won my first round but sucked in my second. I went in the B draw where my level went up, reached semis after winning 4 matches and lost in a very very tight three-setter in one of the best matches of my life. So all around I finished at 5-2 for the tourney and got some confidence for the summer.

This summer i play in two leagues, the local club one I usually win (but a very tough new guy this year!) and then the interclub league, where I represent my club against all the other ones in the region. I'll most likely play the 4 regional tournies in the A category, great level, very friendly, few tournies on clay to change, it'll be fun.

And in the fall, I will start to play for McGill in the university circuit, so excited!
OOOOhhh weeeeee! Good luck man, keep us posted!!

PointBlank
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Good luck at Southerns.

:p. I must say I was having an AMAZING week.

It sucks you didnt make it to Southerns. We could have rocked it up in doubles. ;).

If I make it to Kalamazoo, I might just pee my pants. Nerves might get the best of me though. I started the tournament down 0-4 and then 1-5, but luckily I caught myself and made it 7-6(2),6-0. That was my only real scare until the quarters. I hate Tennessee tournament because theyre huge. We had a 128 draw, so to win was like a grand slam, and thats how they will be for Open and Closed to. :o.

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:52 AM
:p. I must say I was having an AMAZING week.

It sucks you didnt make it to Southerns. We could have rocked it up in doubles. ;).

If I make it to Kalamazoo, I might just pee my pants. Nerves might get the best of me though. I started the tournament down 0-4 and then 1-5, but luckily I caught myself and made it 7-6(2),6-0. That was my only real scare until the quarters. I hate Tennessee tournament because theyre huge. We had a 128 draw, so to win was like a grand slam, and thats how they will be for Open and Closed to. :o.
Man, I played tennis at the University in Kalamazoo, Michigan in April. It was my first time in the state. I was helping my uncle bring a car to my cousin who attends the university; and of course I brought my racquets!! I'm such a tennis junky!

Jguerrica
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:09 AM
I'll be playing GLTA (gay) tournaments all summer long as well....Indianapolis, Atlanta & Tampa. If anyone wants information, visit the website at GLTA.net :) Being on the National board I can assure you that PLENTy of straight people play these events as well. Shoot me an e-mail if anyone has any questions. :)

Asif_Nawaz
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I'll be playin one in August at our local club.Last Year I reached the Semis!

Viktymise
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well im getting ready to play a competitive match in my club for my ranking today im number 4 so wish me luck and ill tell you how it goes

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Well im getting ready to play a competitive match in my club for my ranking today im number 4 so wish me luck and ill tell you how it goes
Good luck darling!!

Experimentee
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I didnt know there were such things as gay tournaments :eek:

Good luck all!

Viktymise
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Good luck darling!!
Thx i won 6-0 6-2 whoooo go me but i didnt play that well :)

SelesFan70
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Good luck! Keep us posted on your results

Same to you! :yeah:

davidmario
Jun 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Anyone playing a 10k or so?

LegionArgentina
Jun 16th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I will be playing Dobles and Mixed Dobles (red clay). There are regional tourtanament but in my country is Otoño (not summer)

Jguerrica
Jun 17th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Gay tennis is HUGE... the GLTA is the biggest gay & lesbian sports organization in the world. We have a tour similar to the WTA...tons of personalities! We have over 40 events in europe & north america.

I'm ranked #32 in the gay world and just won my first title of the year in Orlando. - I lost in the semi's indoors in Louisville, KY. #32 makes me the Na Li of the WTA...she's not my fav, but at least I'll be seeded at Wimbledon..lol

It's very competitive, lots of the guys have played 10k's or college tennis. We're the untapped market.

Go Craybas, Tu, Washington, Frazier, Pierce, Drake, Brandi & Rubin :bounce:

AJZ.
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Not a tournament, but I'm going to be in Smash et As - it's a local competition team.
You train 10 hours a week, and then you might get selected to be one of the ten players to play on Fridays, but they only take the best. And since it's high calibre, I just didn't cut it last year. But I hope I cut it this year :sad: At least once!
I want to play in the Jeux du Québec too, I remember they had that last year.

GracefulVenus
Jun 18th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Not a tournament, but I'm going to be in Smash et As - it's a local competition team.
You train 10 hours a week, and then you might get selected to be one of the ten players to play on Fridays, but they only take the best. And since it's high calibre, I just didn't cut it last year. But I hope I cut it this year :sad: At least once!
I want to play in the Jeux du Québec too, I remember they had that last year.
Good Luck!