PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Seeds Pretty Much Determined (V Williams Seeded 9-12)

pierce0415
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
1 Mauresmo
2 Clijsters

3-4 Henin, Sharapova (if Sharapova wins Birmingham, she will be 3)

5 Petrova (questionable)
6 Davenport (questionable)
7 Kuznetsova
8 Dementieva

9 Pierce (questionable)
10 Schnyder
11 Myskina
12 Venus Williams

13 Vaidisova
14 Schiavone
15 Hingis
16 Groenefeld

17 Safina
18 Hantuchova (questionable)
19 Pennetta
20 Kirilenko (questionable)
21 Sugiyama
22 Ivanovic
23 Peer
24 Srebotnik

25 Dechy
26 Medina
27 Bartoli
28 Likhotseva (could be higher but will stay in 25-32)
29 Jankovic
30 Li
31 Arvidsson
32 Golovin (questionable)

next to be seeded

33 Chakvetadze
34 Dulko
35 Santangelo
36 Castano
37 Zheng
38 Mirza

pierce0415
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM
this is the way the seeds would be if the AEC followed the rankings - not sure if V Williams will be bumped up :unsure:

but glad Li will become the first Chinese woman to be seeded :banana:

Paneru
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:07 PM
this is the way the seeds would be if the AEC followed the rankings - not sure if V Williams will be bumped up :unsure:

but glad Li will become the first Chinese woman to be seeded :banana:

They won't bump Venus up
defending champ or not!

I'd put money on that one!

She's not Tiny Tim
or Antsy Andy.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
They won't bump Venus up
defending champ or not!

I'd put money on that one!

She's not Tiny Tim
or Antsy Andy.
And you know that's fucked up. :mad:

pigam
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:18 PM
so strange!! why do it for the men, but not for the women :cuckoo:
i'm sure most WTA topplayers would like to see Venus "bumped up" ;)

tenn_ace
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I bet Venus will be bumped up. I have no doubts! :bounce: She deserves it!

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM
We could end up with Venus v. Justine in the 4R!!!

SF

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Venus will be seed n4

pierce0415
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Venus will be seed n4

:eek:

and who will be bumped to #5? Clijsters? Henin? Sharapova?

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I think she SHOULD be #4...but I doubt they would bump her that high because that would bump down either Justine (recent RG champ) or Masha (former champ). I could see them trying to squeeze Venus in as number 8. That way she wouldn't face a top four seed until the quarters.

Of course, I personally think she should be #1 seed...but we have to be realistic.

SF

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
:eek:

and who will be bumped to #5? Clijsters? Henin? Sharapova?

1. Mauresmo
2. Sharapova
3. Henin
4. Venus
5. Kim

(it's my prediction) ;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
:yawn: when will this seeding thread stops specially about bumping up Venus?

Ellery
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks!

mr_burns
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:48 PM
venus will stay where she is, if she will be 12 a 4th round with lindsay is possible, as 13 a meeting with top 4, that's horrible. to seed her at 8 would be fine

Dementinator
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:49 PM
seedings shud following rankings ,PERIOD ,its all about current level ,not past results.

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:51 PM
seedings shud following rankings ,PERIOD ,its all about current level ,not past results.

I don't think Wim's organisation will give the second seed to Nadal! ;) Petrova will be the victim for the WD of this system

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Venus will be seed n4

No way. They MAY bump her into the top 8 (they may not have to if enough withdrawels occur), but #4? Nope! :o

Pureracket
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM
What was she seeded last year when she actually won the damn thing?

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM
We could end up with Venus v. Justine in the 4R!!!

SF
I wouldn't mind seeing Vee kick Justine's ass in the 4th round. ;)

Dexter
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM
seedings shud following rankings ,PERIOD ,its all about current level ,not past results.exactly.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I'm not really concerned about her seeding regarding who she plays. It's just a matter of respect and honor to me. But, hey whatever. As long as she defends. :banana:

Pureracket
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM

I'm not really concerned about her seeding regarding who she plays. It's just a matter of respect and honor to me. But, hey whatever. As long as she defends. :banana:True.. .true.

tonythetiger
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Exactly!! She was seeded number 14 and still took out the number 1 and 2 players in the world. Seeds don't matter to Venus or Serena, because when they play their best they still can't be beat. :kiss:

Bijoux0021
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Vee kick Justine's ass in the 4th round. ;)

That would be sweet.

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
1. Mauresmo
2. Sharapova
3. Henin
4. Venus
5. Kim

(it's my prediction) ;)

This would NEVER happen. Kim is #2 in the world and it would be unprecedented to drop her out of the top four, for any reason...especially on a surface where she's been to the semis and took the finalist Linds) to three sets last year.

As far as bumping Venus, I don't think they will. I don't care, and we as fans don't care. It's the top players who care. None of them want to play Venus early on. If it does happen (and it's happened in the past, especially at Wimbledon), Venus will be #8.

SF

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:37 PM

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I think the fans of OTHER players should be more concerned about Vee's seeding than Vee's fans.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:42 PM
seeding doesn't matter. maria was #13 and venus was #14 when they won

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I think the fans of OTHER players should be more concerned about Vee's seeding than Vee's fans.

Exactly.

Viktymise
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Vee deserves it and i think they learned there lesson frm last yrs seeding

tommystar
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I'd like to see Venus d. Clijsters in R4! :D

GracefulVenus
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the thread!!

mr_burns
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I'd like to see Venus d. Clijsters in R4! :D
Either 4th round will be great...amelie, kim, justine or maria vs venus....But Kim would be the best, just because she is the weakest grass player out oh these 4 and so it wouldn't be a big shock not to see her in the qf

venus_rulez
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:22 PM
The whole seeding doesn't matter because they were ranked 13th and 14th is a ridiculous thing to say. PART of the reason Sharapova won Wimbledon was because she was lucky enough to not have a typical draw for her seeding. She had Sugiyama in the quarters for goodness sakes! But still a legitimate win as she beat both Davenport and Serena. And even though Venus beat Mary Pierece, Sharapova, and Lindsay she still didn't have a "normal" draw for her seeding. She played Jill Craybas instead of her sister and then lucked out when Justine lost in the first round and played Mary Pierce instead who also was not seeded for the quarters. No one can seriously argue that playing Sugiyama in the quarters, or Jill Craybas instead of Serena (in any shape or form) is not much easier. Venus will have another very tough draw if she's seeded where she is, her chances at winning would be better if she had a higher seed. Again yeah they won with low seeds, but both benefitted from players dropping out of their draw.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
The whole seeding doesn't matter because they were ranked 13th and 14th is a ridiculous thing to say. PART of the reason Sharapova won Wimbledon was because she was lucky enough to not have a typical draw for her seeding. She had Sugiyama in the quarters for goodness sakes! But still a legitimate win as she beat both Davenport and Serena. And even though Venus beat Mary Pierece, Sharapova, and Lindsay she still didn't have a "normal" draw for her seeding. She played Jill Craybas instead of her sister and then lucked out when Justine lost in the first round and played Mary Pierce instead who also was not seeded for the quarters. No one can seriously argue that playing Sugiyama in the quarters, or Jill Craybas instead of Serena (in any shape or form) is not much easier. Venus will have another very tough draw if she's seeded where she is, her chances at winning would be better if she had a higher seed. Again yeah they won with low seeds, but both benefitted from players dropping out of their draw.
I beg to differ. I think Venus had a very tough draw. It is not easy to get through the likes of Mary Pierce, Sharapova, and Lindsay. Two are former champions and Mary is no shrinking violet on grass. Even if she had to play Serena, Venus would have wiped the floor with Serena, with Serena being in the shape she was in. And Justine has never been and never will be a threat to Venus on grass. Justine wasn't even much of a threat to Eleni. So, I don't really see any benefit to her draw last year. I think it was pretty tough with the exception of three matches, but isn't that true for anyone who gets to the finals?

Dawn Marie
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Not so strange at all. Sexism and Racism still exist. Venus is black and a women so I know Wimbeldon of all places will NOT bump her up. They barely acknowledge the women over their on London. Hell they barely even do anything for their own home country born little ones. British tennis sucks and that is sad. Considering Wimbeldon is the top slam and it is played on England soil.

Scotso
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Do they not have the same damn rankings calculator on the womens' side? No? Maybe because no Brit could be seeded?

Venus should be a top 4 seed.

charmedRic
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Wherever she ends up seeded. It really shouldn't matter if she's meant to win Wimbledon 2006.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:02 PM
An 8th seeding for Venus seems fair to me! :yeah:

-VSR-
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I just want Wimbledon damnit! :lol:

In The Zone
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Tennis for these organizations is a business. It's not about rankings, etc. The AELTC has made that clear with its bumpings of Tim, Grosjean, Roddick, etc. Having Venus low means less stars in the later of the tournament. By placing her at #8, the tournament is saving its marquee matches for later in the tournament. By letting Venus stay at #12, 13 when she is not that true number, they are risking losing a major star in the early rounds. The tournament is protecting its profits by placing Venus at #8.

Although I would not be surprised if she is kept at # 12, Venus is rightfully to be seeded # 8.

liuxuan
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
well if theres one or two pull outs and venus is the 9th or 10th ranked player, i really think it would be CRAZY to give shnyder or dementieva a top 8 seeding ahead of her. Venus has to be seeded top 8 for sure!

stevos
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I thought they only did this on the mens side. Never heard of it happening on the womens side, does anyone have any cases where it has on the womens?

sfselesfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:54 AM
I thought they only did this on the mens side. Never heard of it happening on the womens side, does anyone have any cases where it has on the womens?

Monica Seles in 1996.

I think they did it for Navratilova once too.

Possibly Graf as well after her back surgery.

SF

new-york
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:56 AM
well if theres one or two pull outs and venus is the 9th or 10th ranked player, i really think it would be CRAZY to give shnyder or dementieva a top 8 seeding ahead of her. Venus has to be seeded top 8 for sure!

they can make it up by putting her in Schnyder's area. :hehehe:

ZAK
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Lisa Raymond and Alexandra Stevenson have both been bumped up in recent years, I believe

Jakeev
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Somehow I think Venus will be seeded higher but probably not Lindsay. Had Lindsay not been injured this year, she probably would have been up there anyway.

But Vee definitely deserves the higher seeding if she gets it.

Robbie.
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Monica Seles in 1996.

I think they did it for Navratilova once too.

Possibly Graf as well after her back surgery.

SF

Well Seles in 1996 and Graf in 1998 were getting protected seedings in all WTA events at that time so it wasn't something specific to Wimbledon. Same with the Williams sisters in 2004.

The only time I remember them fiddling with the women's seedings at Wimbledon was in 1999 when they moved Steffi from 3 to 2 and Lindsay from 2 to 3. It was funny because it was almost like Lindsay caned her ass in the final just to prove the whole thing wrong :devil:

sfselesfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Well Seles in 1996 and Graf in 1998 were getting protected seedings in all WTA events at that time so it wasn't something specific to Wimbledon. Same with the Williams sisters in 2004.

The only time I remember them fiddling with the women's seedings at Wimbledon was in 1999 when they moved Steffi from 3 to 2 and Lindsay from 2 to 3. It was funny because it was almost like Lindsay caned her ass in the final just to prove the whole thing wrong :devil:

1999 was the time of Graf's back surgery. They used to move the seeds ,ore frequently in the 80s and 90s.

SF

Robbie.
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:06 AM
1999 was the time of Graf's back surgery.
SF

Graf didnt have back surgery in 1999. They basically elevated her to #2 that year because she had just won RG and Lindsay's previous results on grass sucked.

Graf did get the #4 seeding in 1998 when returning from her knee surgery, but as explained she was the beneficiary of a protected ranking at that stage.

xin_hui
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:17 AM
I don't think Wim's organisation will give the second seed to Nadal! ;) Petrova will be the victim for the WD of this system

i think they would. because the ranking points gap between nadal, and the 2nd best grasscourter roddick, is too great to be covered up by any sort of calculations wimbledon uses. nadal will be the 2nd seed:o

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Damn, Nikki's got a top 4 seed in the 4r again. :mad:

junlee_vee
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:32 AM

exactly!! :worship:

Martian Stacey
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Maybe because there are no Brittish women that would be advantaged by such a system? :shrug: :p

switz
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:57 AM
how are they pretty much determined when 3 of the top 10 are questionable and Venus could easily be moved up into the top 10 :confused:

sfselesfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Graf didnt have back surgery in 1999. They basically elevated her to #2 that year because she had just won RG and Lindsay's previous results on grass sucked.

Graf did get the #4 seeding in 1998 when returning from her knee surgery, but as explained she was the beneficiary of a protected ranking at that stage.

She missed the last two slams of 1997 and the first to slams of 1998 due to injury. She suffered from chronic back pain due to a bone spur in sacroiliac as well as aggravation of the patella tendon in her left knee. She had a very low ranking in 1999. If memory serves she didn't qualify for an injury ranking and she was given a bump in the seedings. I recall Melanie Molitor and Hingis throwing disrespectful comments around about it...how it didn't matter because her body was too worn out to win another major. Then Graf took Hingis out in the final of RG and made it to the final at Wimbledon.

SF

Robbie.
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:01 AM
She missed the last two slams of 1997 and the first to slams of 1998 due to injury. She suffered from chronic back pain due to a bone spur in sacroiliac as well as aggravation of the patella tendon in her left knee. She had a very low ranking in 1999. If memory serves she didn't qualify for an injury ranking and she was given a bump in the seedings. I recall Melanie Molitor and Hingis throwing disrespectful comments around about it...how it didn't matter because her body was too worn out to win another major. Then Graf took Hingis out in the final of RG and made it to the final at Wimbledon.

SF

I think you have your wires crossed. Graf never had a low ranking in 1999 because she finished 1998 in the top ten after an excellent fall season. By the time she got to Wimbledon 1999 she was #3 in the world. All they did was bump her ahead of Lindsay. She certainly had a low ranking at Wimbledon 1998, but she had a protected ranking at that stage which enabled her to get the #4 seeding. She was also seeded top 8 at the US Open that year though her ranking did not merit it.

So 1999 remains the only incident in recent memory where they have bumped a player due to grass court prowess.

Kenny
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:03 AM
i think they would. because the ranking points gap between nadal, and the 2nd best grasscourter roddick, is too great to be covered up by any sort of calculations wimbledon uses. nadal will be the 2nd seed:o

As he freaking should be.

lizchris
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
With Schiavone losing to Zvonareva in the Birmingham QF, barring withdrawls, Venus will be the 12 seed.

Chunchun
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:37 PM
With Schiavone losing to Zvonareva in the Birmingham QF, barring withdrawls, Venus will be the 12 seed.
so i hope LenaD will not draw her in 4r :awww: :awww:

jj74
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Maybe not, but he deserve being n2 seed because he is miles ahead n3 in the rankings. I don't undestand that stupid rule to change the order of seeds

GermanBoy
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Venus should at least be No 8! Lindsay 4th! You can easily "defend" seeding these two higher... :cool:

frenchie
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:42 PM
so i hope LenaD will not draw her in 4r :awww: :awww:

I hope too so she can draw Nastya :devil:

vwfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:49 PM
so i hope LenaD will not draw her in 4r :awww: :awww:yeah. I would think that none of the 5-8 seeds want to meet Venus in the fourth round. Not just Dementieva.

I'd hate to see a Lindsay vs. Venus fourth round most of all! Both my favs! :eek: They should not have to play before the semis, given their prior results and that wonderful final last year that they gave us.

Unfortunately, the chips will fall where they fall.

pierce0415
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
not much doubt left

Chunchun
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
seeding doesn't matter. maria was #13 and venus was #14 when they won
following this damn pattern the 06 winner will be seeded #15 :scared:

Hingis :scared:

pierce0415
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM
following this damn pattern the 06 winner will be seeded #15 :scared:

Hingis :scared:

:lol: :tape:

seriously though, can't believe Dementieva will be seeded #8

TomTennis
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Im not concerend about her seeding at all!

A possible Venus vs Davenport 4th round :eek: :eek: !!!!

Veenut
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Venus' seed is the least of her concern right now. I think she plays more inspired tennis when her draw is tough.

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Danka will have a higher seed in the 3rd round this time if she plays. :( Two withdrawls ahead of her are needed so that she that she can have a 4th round seeding.

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Damn, Nikki's got a top 4 seed in the 4r again. :mad:

She'd have to be ranked in the top 8 for that not to happen, so it's kind of expected. :(

mirzalover
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:32 PM
nice avatar Jedem

Cat's Pajamas
Jun 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Here's my opinion of how the bumping should go:

Venus bumped to #8 and Patty or possibly Dementieva #9 but I'd say Patty, she's only made the third round oce :tape:
Roddick #4 and Ljubicic #5 he also sucks on grass and I'd love to hear him bitch about it :lol:

Lady
Jun 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Maybe not, but he deserve being n2 seed because he is miles ahead n3 in the rankings. I don't undestand that stupid rule to change the order of seeds

Nadal will be #2 seed, don't worry. It's mathematicly impossible for him not to be. ;)

PLP
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:43 PM
When will they announce their seedings??

TomTennis
Jun 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM
next wednesday i think.

23TwentyThree23
Jun 17th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I think they will raise venus' seeding - they have to, my god the woman won last year after practically no build up and I bet ANYTHING she's the one player everyone will want to see on the other half of the draw. (just talking about this gives me goosebumps cos i soooooooooooooooo can't wait for wimbledon. i have sky+ and i'm gonna have every minute and every highlights show going!)

alextim
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
when the draw will be made?