Jun 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Ai :(

jonny84
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Interesting result!

Well done Mara!

Veritas
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Oh Ai. That's pathetic. A crappy clay season is (almost) understandable, but it's grass, a surface better suited to your generic, conservative, low-risk, flat-shot game.

Japan needs a star with a radical game. Staying on the baseline and hitting just flat, no-spin shots ain't gonna cut it.

AyumiMorita
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM
ai and ayumi lost
:-(

pcrtennis
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Oh ai...losing to Santangelo is bad....So many chances...especially serving for the first set...

Got to Eastbourne and pick it up...

Veritas
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Oh ai...losing to Santangelo is bad....So many chances...especially serving for the first set...

Got to Eastbourne and pick it up...

Santangelo deserved to win that match 100%. She had opportunities and made the most of them. Ai didn't, so she doesn't deserve to go through (just like that sub-talented Japanese soccer team).

I badly wanted Ai to win so she can make one last major push up the rankings, but lets face it, she's too far away from the form that won her 2 titles and a top-10 ranking in 2003.

It's too late to make any major changes for her game, so I guess we'll have to be content with Ai being just a top-30 player.

tennisboi
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Oh AI:sad:

cellophane
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Mara :yeah:

AK-DH Fan
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I don't understand how she is still playing bad:( She reached the dubs final of RG and I really thought that'd give her some confidence, but no. She's really struggling this year.. Maybe she needs a new coach, because this result on grass is :unsure: :banghead:

auntie janie
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Great win for Mara! :banana:

Poor Ai. :sad:

Ellery
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Well done Mara :yeah:

Darop.
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Jeez people, give Mara some credit, everyone's acting as if Ai played like crap and handed this match over, but it's not the case :rolleyes:

AK-DH Fan
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Jeez people, give Mara some credit, everyone's acting as if Ai played like crap and handed this match over, but it's not the case :rolleyes:

Yeah I didn't see the match so I guess I can't really judge, but I mean normally, i'd espect Sugiyama to win this sorta match. Because it's on grass.

Veritas
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM

If you want credit for her, just say so in the thread title. Otherwise, it's a free board, people are generally allowed to react how they want, as long as they aren't bad-mouthing Santangelo.

selyoink
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Stupid Ai. I thought for sure she would win this one.

KBdoubleu
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Congratulations Mara, she has really stepped up her level of play this year

Mattographer
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Seriously, have you guys seen Santangelo before? Her game suits grass and I'm not surprised :)

rrfnpump
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Mara + grass = :yeah:
good serve and flat groundies

well done, Mara :smoke:

danra
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Surprising. I saw Santangelo lose to Martina N in quals at Eastbourne a couple of years ago - guess she understands the grass now.

GABRIEL
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Mara has improved a lot over the last 2 years, she is a different player now, I knew she was going to win this, her serve is very good and her game suites grass, and she is nr 35 in the ranking, just few places below Ai, so I cannot see it as a real upset. Well done Mara, steady nr 3 italian now !:kiss:

Vut
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM
:sad: Ai

TS
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Nice win Mara :)

So when did Mara get so, uh, good? Didn't realise she was ranked that high.

AJZ.
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Good job Mara.

Poor Ai, though :sad: It was so close, it's really too bad. I too thought the RG final would give her confidence going into the grass season... I hope she doesn't get sad.

Her year in singles just hasn't been great so far, apart from Doha and Miami, and Indian Wells. This is really sad :sad: Keep your head up high, Ai!

xXSarajevoXx
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Ai :sad:

gsm
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Stupid Ai.
:eek:

janko
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Mara :banana:

no surprise, hope it will continue!

She 's playing really well on grass (she really deserved to win against Serena last year at Wimbledon) and she 's enjoying her best results this year, have a look at her season

I want a final : Mara vs Franny!! :drool:

DevilishAttitude
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Asian mole :sad:

But since Fran and AI were practising with each other, I like her :D I bet that pissed pcrtennis right off :devil: :)

Anyway, I expected Mara to win. Her game totally suits grass and Ai yet again proves she's turning into ASV.

Darop.
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM
If you want credit for her, just say so in the thread title. Otherwise, it's a free board, people are generally allowed to react how they want, as long as they aren't bad-mouthing Santangelo.

Exactly, I'm just reacting to their reaction :p

I bet that pissed pcrtennis right off :devil: :)

:haha::haha::haha:

LegionArgentina
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Ai :sad:

pcrtennis
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Asian mole :sad:

But since Fran and AI were practising with each other, I like her :D I bet that pissed pcrtennis right off :devil: :)

Anyway, I expected Mara to win. Her game totally suits grass and Ai yet again proves she's turning into ASV.

I was glad to hear they were hitting! I think it's great!

Ai's turning into a 3 time GS champion!? I like that idea but I'm not sure you're right about that...

Ai played a sub par match, should have won. Santangelo played well. Good luck in Eastbourne Ai! She's very close to the top 20 again!

pcrtennis
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Santangelo deserved to win that match 100%. She had opportunities and made the most of them. Ai didn't, so she doesn't deserve to go through (just like that sub-talented Japanese soccer team).

I badly wanted Ai to win so she can make one last major push up the rankings, but lets face it, she's too far away from the form that won her 2 titles and a top-10 ranking in 2003.

It's too late to make any major changes for her game, so I guess we'll have to be content with Ai being just a top-30 player.

Are you dumb. I can answer that...yes. Everytime she's counted out she plays well again...she's at 21 in the worl and lass than 75 pts away from the top 20 so I like her chances getting back there soon given that she has no points to defend until San Diego.

iPatty
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
This is an expected result for me. I saw Santangelo play in Charleston and I knew she would be a great player on grass. Nothing to be ashamed of for Ai. Santangelo was probably too tough.

Scotso
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM
forza Mara! :D

Carmen Mairena
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Mara-villosa!!! :yeah:

Darop.
Jun 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Ai played a sub par match, should have won. Santangelo played well.

Did you even see the match? :retard:

~Carsten~
Jun 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Congrats Mara! :)

DevilishAttitude
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I was glad to hear they were hitting! I think it's great!

Ai's turning into a 3 time GS champion!? I like that idea but I'm not sure you're right about that...

Ai played a sub par match, should have won. Santangelo played well. Good luck in Eastbourne Ai! She's very close to the top 20 again!

A slam champ :haha: I mean ASV in 2002, losses everywhere :o

Ai won't be reaching Top 20.

Sadka
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
:sad: Ai ..