PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best Russian (apart from Masha)

bello
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:57 AM
I think its very close out of Nadia and Svetlana

VeeDaQueen
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Svetlana is, even if you include Masha

bello
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:39 AM
How quickly people forget Nadia pre French Open and now Svetlana is the best cos of her French final appearance

xin_hui
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
svetlana, even ahead of sharapova

:inlove:
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Em no...I just think Svetlana is more talented. :shrug:

I choose Kuznetsova...Closely followed by Myskina. :D

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:43 AM
After watching Sveta @ the FO, I'd have to say Nadya.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Sveta :hearts:

frenchie
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Nastya of course!!

PS: Maria is the best russian in you dreams only!!!

up!
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Sveta is the more talented in my opinion but she doesn't use her talent fully because she's weak mentally and she doesn't always play smart.

Dasha_
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM
svetlana, even ahead of sharapova

I agree 100%

Judi
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Kuzi :)

Prizeidiot
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'd have to say Kuznetsova... she's the most talented, and has shown some mental toughness to back it up (though also with some hiccups)

ctan88
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:55 AM
HERE ARE MY thoughts!

The best Russian who trained outside of Russia, is definitley Svetlana Kuznetsova ... Petrova, while she is highly talented think that she lacks variety.

The best Russian who trained inside of Russia, is Anastasia Myskina. While her mental toughness is lacking, she is still a better player than Dementieva in terms of 'completeness' in the game.

Gowza
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:07 AM
petrova just hasn't performed at the slams like the others in the poll. kuznetsova has an RG final and a slam win at the us open. dementieva has 2 slam finals, myskina has won a slam. petrova's best at a slam is a SF. she's had a great run lately, and i think she's probably the best russian on clay (even though she lost 1st round at RG this year).

if you go on slams, kuznetsova has equalled the best performance of petrova and myskina at AO (QF) and bettered dementieva's best. at RG she's done better than petrova, equalled dementieva and come a match win short of myskina. at wimbledon she's equalled myskina and petrova and bettered dementieva and at the us open she's done better than all of them by winning in 2004. so on the big stage which generally is where the top players like to shine, kuznetsova has performed better than any of the other 3 on this poll overall.

Kenny
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Svetlana.

tennisjunky
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
nadia is the only one that improves from year to year. shes not the best now, but she has the most potential. think she'll end up with more wins, more titles, and less loses than the other ones at the end of her career. dont think she'll end up with the most slams out of them though.

Jenny.C.Fan
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Sveta :)

ctan88
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
HERE ARE MY thoughts!

The best Russian who trained outside of Russia, is definitley Svetlana Kuznetsova ... Petrova, while she is highly talented think that she lacks variety.

The best Russian who trained inside of Russia, is Anastasia Myskina. While her mental toughness is lacking, she is still a better player than Dementieva in terms of 'completeness' in the game.

TS
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
When all are at their best I'm going to go with Dementieva. When she's on a roll she's extremely tough to beat. Elena has been the most consistently ranked out of the 4 in the last couple years.

tfannis
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Sveta, including Masha (and no not based on the FO, I've always found Sveta the best Russian and if she would have the looks of Maria, many more would agree ;) :rolleyes: )

SeanyQ
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I'll say Dementieva for her unreal groundstrokes.....Shame about the serve tho.

RR-87
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Nadia :D

Martyś
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Petrova :unsure:

E. Blackadder
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Svetlana, even with Maria included!

Lenafan
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
It's weird the sense of entitlement that Sharapova fans carry around. I like Sharapova a lot, but find her fans the most obnoxious of anyone to the point that it's really hard to like her. Your favorite player has won ONE slam and in the year 2004. That's the same # as Myskina, Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, Clijsters, Novotna, Majoli last time I checked and it has been seven slams and not even a Grand Slam final appearance.

Yet her supporters have already inducted her into the Hall of Fame. She was saved by a rain delay against Lindsay and beat Serena coming off a knee injury. I really believe there needs to be an asterisk next to that year as neither the Belgians nor the Williams sisters were really around. Sure you could make an argument that Sharapova is the best Russian but to assume she's the best one is ridiculous and annoying. Anyhow to me.

1. Kuznetsova
2. Sharapova
3. Myskina
4. Dementieva
5. Petrova

Petrova has never won a Fed Cup for her country like Myskina or Dementieva. As much as it pains me to put Myskina in front of Dementieva, I have to since Myskina won the slam although she has done nothing of notice since. Petrova has never come close to winning a GS which all four of the other players have. The one GS where the bookies thought she was a contender, she flamed out early in the French and had her greatest disappointment yet.

As for who will end up the best, hard to say, but I would say Kuznetsova or Sharapova. Kuznetsova and Dementieva are more talented than Sharapova but Sharapova has it over them in the mental department at a very young age and that bodes well for her future. Petrova has demonstrated she's a nut job when facing Sharapova in the Slams. Petrova is going to have to beat SOMEONE in a Grand Slam eventually before she can even enter into the conversation of top Russians.

Grohl
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM
sveta
but i think nadia is getting close

Yasmine
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:30 AM
:yeah: absolutely!

Viktymise
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Dementieva cause at her best none of the others would beat her and is the only 1 who has gotten to two slam finals in the same yr

Dani12
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Nadia!

Ceze
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
why excluding Maria Sharapova? :scratch: Because you don't consider her as a Russian? :shrug:

No Name Face
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Kuznetsova's the best overall, but i voted Dementieva because i could :p

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
id say Petrova & Kuzy are pretty close but cause Kuzy has achieved more i pick her

mc8114
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I voted for Kuzzy, though Petrova's ranking is higher

madame_maria
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
firstly i don't see Kuznetsova right now as a very good player. she lost relatively a lot of power adding more variety into her game since perhaps the early bit of last year. the matches i've seen her play weren't exactly convincing at all.

vs. Vaidisova at French Open. she just stuck there and refused to lose.

vs. Maria at Miami. she played consistently off the ground and fed off Maria's match fatigue.

vs. Henin-Hardenne at French Open. she WAS outplayed in a match with a gazilion unforced errors.

for me, it was between Elena and Anastasia and i eventually picked Anastasia after i was reminded for how spectacular she really is as a player when she beat Ana Ivanovic at the French Open. she played ABSOLUTELY superb tennis.

Elena is definitely very strong off the ground. i'd pick her ANYTIME over Kuznetsova on the groundstrokes department. (let's skip the serve part yea).

i haven't found Nadia's game appealing at all. it reminded me a lot of Vaidisova's game. just that what i've seen from Nadia so far, Nicole at the French Open was just eye-popping. big serves, powerful topspin groundstrokes. stronger on the forehand, pretty good movers for their sizes. i see Nicole as a far more promising Nadia.

so i picked :)

MYSKINA :)

selyoink
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Kuznetsova is the best Russian period in my opinion.

vwfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
based on slam results, Kutnetzsova is the best Russian player. she is the only Russian to follow-up her slam win with a Final.

based on consistency, Maria. when all the other Russians flamed out in the GS defenses, she got in the SF and only lost to the eventual champion. in fact, she lost to the eventual champion in every slam last year. she's been #1 and leads in h2hs against all the other Russians, except Kutznetsova and that was just this year. she turned around the h2h against myskina and has beaten her the last two times. finally, she is dominating on grass.

LUIS9
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Talent wise yeah. She's got a pretty complete game. Inconsistency and her nerves get the better of her sometimes.

Petrova talent wise would be the 2nd best with that first serve but sometimes she can't even manage to be consistent on her best stroke. Her forehand has improved but when it really matters I still think one of the top 4 would topple her.

rjd1111
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I think its very close out of Nadia and Svetlana

What makes you think Masha is the Best Russian?

1. Kuzy
2. Nadia
3. Myskina
4. Demented
5. Masha

Dexter
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Swietłana Kuzniecowa :)

tenn_ace
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Sveta no doubt. She has already won GS and GS#5 and Nadia just won her first title last year. Given that Nadia has a little bit more mature game, but it will come to Sveta as she has 3 years before she gets to the same age where Nadia is right now.

PS. Sveta is the best even including Maria. No doubt either.

crazillo
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
1. Kuznetsova
2. Petrova
3. Sharapova
4. Safina

Myskina, Dementieva

*in terms of ability*

Dan23
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:27 PM
What makes you think Masha is the Best Russian?

1. Kuzy
2. Nadia
3. Myskina
4. Demented
5. Masha
Possibly because she has performed the best out of all of them over the last couple of years while being less experienced......and its Dementieva to you :p

madame_maria
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Demented just sounds sooooo bad.

Rachel_
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
1. Kuzzy
2. Dementieva
3. Nadia
4. Masha
5. Myskina

jj74
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Palyuchenkova of course

faboozadoo15
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
some of you who think any of these gals are better than maria need to keep up with the tour more often.
sure petrova won a few titles before the french open... and then lost in the first round when for the first time she was considered "a favorite".
kuznetsova went through a tier 2 draw and then ran into a wall against justine... i don't see her extra slam final as anything all that huge when you consider how many more times maria has made it to the later stages of majors and considering that maria is younger than kuz.

goldenlox
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Sharapova is consistent, but Sveta has earned 2 $500,000+ checks this year.
Maria got her last one in 2004.

As for who is best, do you mean right now?

Sveta and Nadia are both having strong 2006 campaigns.
But they are obviously both improving.
Much better results than in 2005.

Experimentee
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
At their best:

1. Kuzzy
2. Sharapova
2. Petrova
4. Dementieva
5. Myskina

timafi
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Sveta is simply better than all of them :)

smiler
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
:lol: I love this poll, you missed of Maria because you think she is soo much better there is no point in polling it, and you miss off Safina, who only beat Maria the other week :lol:

I don't really care anyway whoever you put on the poll, the answer is Sveta :hearts:

madame_maria
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Sharapova is consistent, but Sveta has earned 2 $500,000+ checks this year.
Maria got her last one in 2004.

As for who is best, do you mean right now?

Sveta and Nadia are both having strong 2006 campaigns.
But they are obviously both improving.
Much better results than in 2005.

not too sure about how much she earned.

Maria won Indian Wells.

Ferosh
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:58 PM
1. Kuznetsova
2. Petrova
3. Dementieva
4. Sharapova
5. Myskina

rjd1111
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Possibly because she has performed the best out of all of them over the last couple of years while being less experienced......and its Dementieva to you :p

I don't think she has performed Better the last couple of years. This year
Nadia and Kuzy has done better.

rjd1111
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Demented just sounds sooooo bad.

You're right. Sorry about the Demented comment. I actually like
Elena. Although it sounded bad I didn't mean it in a bad way.
I think sometimes she plays crazy tennis the way she attacks the ball
and never lets up.

rjd1111
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:58 PM
You only have to look at the past 2 years to figure out Maria has been head and shoulders above the rest in terms of achievements ranking and results. My pick is Svetlana anyway

She is head and shoulders above them because she is so tall,
not because she's better.

lucashg
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I've always thought Kuznetsova had more potential out of all, but she's still too inconsistent and mentally fragile, that's why she's not better than Sharapova at the moment, if she gets over that, no doubt she'll be. But Maria's game can also improve, though not as much as Kuznetsova's can, I think.

Petrova is/was on a hot streak, she's not better than Sharapova nor Kuznetsova. I actually think she's better than Dementieva and than Myskina, even though I think Myskina is the second most talented russian. :confused: :p

cometz9
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Sveta is the best :rocker2:

Smoothie
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Possibly Kuzzesoen.

DarkchildSwiss
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Elena D. She just needs to improve her serve and then she will be the Russian #1.

miffedmax
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I :lol: at the thought of any Russian being better than Lena! She is by far the best.

And the cutest. And the most lovable. And the smartest. And not just of the Russians. Of all the women in the WTA. And the rest of the world.

(Really, did anyone think I'd say anything else?)

Kart
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Nadia is my favourite :inlove:, closely followed by Sveta :hearts:.

Sharapova is by far the best match player though IMHO which is what has made her accomplish more.

FrenchY52
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Sveta is better than maria

Edward.
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Maria career titles: 11

Svetlana career titles: 6

Maria Highest Ranking: 1

Sveta Highest Ranking: 4

And some people think Sveta is a better player.

Fuck off.

cellophane
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I have to say, I really wasn't impressed with Sveta's RG run (or her US Open run for that matter). Not that she didn't get there rightfully, but both Dinara and Nicole choked it away.

tennisjunky
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM
since others have included maria:

1.masha
2.nadia
3.kuznetsova
4.dementieva
5.myskina

nadia is the only thats improved year after year and besides masha she is the most consistent by far.

Minotaur
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
As for this season...

Nadia has been the best since far. Somehow she manage to add variety to her game. I watched two of her fianals: in Doha and in Berlian. She played great overall. Before this year you couldn't even imagine she can play like this. And her behavior in the Berlin final... She was nothing to lose, injured during the game and still was able to beat H2H which is THe thing... Because normally H2H doesn't lose matches like this... Actually Nadia played like a true champion (tremendous fighting spirit) here. Hope she'll recover from her injury which she got during RG...

Maria is the most stable russian player. She can be injured but whe she is not, her level of game is pretty stable unlike domestic russian players (Petrova, Kusznetsova, Dementieva)... Our typical mentality... This is because she lived in USA for a long time.

Sveta is still a prospect. She is 21 only BTW. Sometimes she 'sleeps' on court, not enough concentration... People thought after Miami that she would play at the same level the rest of the season... But here we go again... She was lucky to reach RG final, i think...

Lena is still a bit of kid... She can play great, she can play awful. Very moody player. I think it's for personal reasons...

Nastya is ok now but she still plays a bit of old-fashioned tennis...

Milito22
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:28 PM
S. kuznets is the best and will be Nš 1 soon! ;)

Dawn Marie
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Sveta including Masha. I thought this BEFORE RG this year. Her game and her results are great. Nadia? Hell No! She can't even train properly and wore her body down right before the French. Sveta's game will improve and she has loads of talent. Kirilenko is another one who is good. She knows how to work a point and has beautiful hands. If Myskina can win RG then so to can a Kirilenko.

Hands down Sveta.

Dawn Marie
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Elena D. is not better than Sveta. Sveta keeps her head toghether alot better than Demetieva. Elena forgot how to even play tennis when she was in her finals. She crashed on the court. Still hasn't cleaned up her serve. Please the other russians are passing this kid by.

tennisboi
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Sveta is the best Russian, even better than Masha she has made twice as many GS finals than her

angiee3
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I'll say Nastya, (she just needs to get back into complete form... and she'll be on fire again..!)

and then sveta or lena..

franny
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Um, for all those people who say that Sveta is better than Sharapova, can I ask you a few questions?

How many times has Sveta been the number 1 ranked Russian? 0
How many weeks has Sveta spent at world number 1? 0
How many titles has Sveta won? Maria has 11, Sveta has 6
How many Tier 1's has Sveta won? Maria's got 2, Sveta has 1.
How many tour championships has Sveta won? Maria's got 1, Sveta's got 0.
How many grand slam semi finals has Sveta been to? Maria has been to 5, Kuznetsova has been to 2.

I'm sorry but one more slam final does not make Kuznetsova better than Sharapova. It's one match, and who did she beat to get to the finals? A choking Vaidisova? A tired Safina? Schiavone? Um okay. Results are what matters, not talk. Sharapova's been injured on and off the past 2 years, and she's still put up better overall results than Kuznetsova. I just don't see the argument here that Kuznetsova has been a better player up till this point. She's been great in two tournaments this year, don't get me wrong. But let's see how the rest of her year goes first before claiming that she is the better Russian. If you are going to talk about potential, then don't talk about past results like her getting to french open finals. If you are gonna talk about this year, then don't calculate in her U.S Open victory. But if you are gonna count all that, then you best be ready to compare ALL her results to ALL of Sharapova's.

lee station
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Sveta Cozy

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Nastya Myskina :worship:

Scotso
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Dementieva

thelittlestelf
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I'd say that the one with the most talent/potential is Dementieva. When she is on, her game can be absolutely unreal and she is by far the best athlete out of these four.

Pheobo
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM
In terms of talent, Nastya ^_^

In terms of results, Nadia.

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:30 AM
1. Sharapova
2. Dementieva
3. Myskina
4. Kuznetsova
5. Petrova

as far as achievements go...

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I really think Sveta is a bit overrated. :o

iPatty
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I definitely would've added Dinara Safina to this one. She's better than Dementieva, in my opinion.

1. Kuznetsova
2. Petrova
3. Safina
4. Dementieva
5. Sharapova
6. Myskina

Marcus1979
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Um, for all those people who say that Sveta is better than Sharapova, can I ask you a few questions?

How many times has Sveta been the number 1 ranked Russian? 0
How many weeks has Sveta spent at world number 1? 0
How many titles has Sveta won? Maria has 11, Sveta has 6
How many Tier 1's has Sveta won? Maria's got 2, Sveta has 1.
How many tour championships has Sveta won? Maria's got 1, Sveta's got 0.
How many grand slam semi finals has Sveta been to? Maria has been to 5, Kuznetsova has been to 2.

How many titles lower than Tier II does Maria have? 5 Tier III, 1 Tier IV
How many titles lower than Tier II does Sveta have? 2 Tier III, 1 Tier IV
When was the last time Sveta contested a event lower than Tier II? Bali 2004
When was the last time Maria contested a event lower than Tier II? Birmingham 2005

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:45 AM
I definitely would've added Dinara Safina to this one. She's better than Dementieva, in my opinion.

1. Kuznetsova
2. Petrova
3. Safina
4. Dementieva
5. Sharapova
6. Myskina

In terms of talent?

Dan23
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:58 AM
When was the last time Maria contested a event lower than Tier II? Birmingham 2005
point being?

franny
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Your points are meaningless. Take away titles lower than Tier II's, guess what, Sharapova still has 5 titles. Svetlana? 3. Sharapova still beats her in achievements. And who cares when was the last time they each contested in an event lower than a tier III. It means nothing. A player who has won 10 Tier 1's and last played in a tier 3 more recently than a player who has won just 2 titles does not make that player lesser. Guess what, Sharapova almost doubles Kuznetsova in titles. Counting only tier 2 and higher, Sharapova still almost doubles Kuznetsova in titles. The proportions are the same, your point is meaningless.

Milito22
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:00 AM
sveta play well in all surfaces :o and maria?

LefandePatty
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM
PS: Maria is the best russian in you dreams only!!!

So true !

Anastasia for sure.

Volcana
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Petrova is better than Sharapova. I'm not sure how she rates against the other Russians.

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Dinara Safina
Cant believe no one is noticing how well she is playing!!!

Derek.
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Dinari Safina

I can't believe you don't know how to spell her name!!! :shrug:

Anyways, she has had a good last few weeks, but the other four mentioned have had several good years. ;)

xin_hui
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Dinari Safina

when you wanna make big font posts, make sure you spell the name correctly, otherwise it'll be very glaring :lol:

faboozadoo15
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM
why would you use maria having more little titles than sveta as a reason agianst maria being better? it just shows maria has more big and little titles-- more titles in general, that's all. and birmingham is the only event held during the week sharapova prepares for wimbledon. she doesn't play the week before majors.

GracefulVenus
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:44 PM
when you wanna make big font posts, make sure you spell the name correctly, otherwise it'll be very glaring :lol:
:rolls: Anywaysssssssssssssss, Give me a break........I'm American. You know how we jack peoples names up from other countries. :lol: Superiority complex I guess?

But I do think Safina will make her move this season - you guys will see!

furrykitten
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Maria Kirilenko is no 2 and Anna C is No 3
Maria S is no 1