PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Barbora Strycova?

Sammm
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Hey guys :wavey:
Does anyone here like barbora? I was impressed by the way she plays when I saw her on TV a few years ago. She played a pretty good match against henin, I think it was, at Indian Wells. Anyway, I was just looking at hte Wimbledon entry lists and she's down in the 200s! And she has been as high as 55!
Anyone know why she's slumping so bad? And do we expect her to be able to get back in to the top 100, hopefully top 50?

Sammm
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:35 AM
In fact barora is up to 195 from 223 :) Must have had a good challenger result?

LUIS9
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Hey guys :wavey:
Does anyone here like barbora? I was impressed by the way she plays when I saw her on TV a few years ago. She played a pretty good match against henin, I think it was, at Indian Wells. Anyway, I was just looking at hte Wimbledon entry lists and she's down in the 200s! And she has been as high as 55!
Anyone know why she's slumping so bad? And do we expect her to be able to get back in to the top 100, hopefully top 50?

Yeah wasn't she ranked very highly both in singles and doubles at the Junior level. She won a slam or two didn't she? Then again being successful at the junior level does not translate to instant success at the pro level.

tennisbuddy12
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Ive heard of her...never seen her play... In Oct. '04 i played on some courts in Florida and i got a lesson from a former pro and he said that the house across the street was her sisters. He said that he met her and had dinner w/ her. I thought that was neat. I only saw him once b/c i was there for my sisters wedding.

The reason for her slump is b/c she did not defend her Indian Wells and Guangzhou points adn those were the 2 tournaments where she gathered most of her points so she slid down the ranks.

Randy H
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Barbora's a pretty good player, doesn't have a major weapon but she's got a solid game, and all-court ability...Her biggest problem is her mental game, she becomes upset and frustrated with herself far too easily and I think this distracts her focus and detracts from regrouping her game. If she can learn to keep a more positive approach, she can be higher ranked than where she is now.

Sammm
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Barbora's a pretty good player, doesn't have a major weapon but she's got a solid game, and all-court ability...Her biggest problem is her mental game, she becomes upset and frustrated with herself far too easily and I think this distracts her focus and detracts from regrouping her game. If she can learn to keep a more positive approach, she can be higher ranked than where she is now.

Thanks, Randy! :)
I was just looking in the cgallengers section of this site and Barbora is in the quarters of a $25k tournamnent, she just beat Lubomira Kurhajcova :D keep it up!

PointBlank
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM
I expected alot from her following her playing really well that one year when she did good at Hopman Cup and pretty well in the rest of the Australian season. I saw her in Memphis once when she came. She is pretty consistent from both sides when I saw her, she just needs the mental confidence. I also remember in Memphis she really wasnt looking fit, maybe shes changed that?

bello
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah I saw her play a couple of times in Australia and she hits a really clean hard ball. Hopefully she can get back up in the rankingscos I really like her!

Prizeidiot
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I saw her a couple of years ago at the Hopman Cup, and she had a good serve, solid groundstrokes, and very nice volleys, and performed well in a tough group (I think she had Davenport, Mauresmo, Myskina)

But I think she does have some mental problems, like she gets upset very easily, and that's probably stunted her development a fair bit.

mila_mail
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM
is she dead?