PDA

View Full Version : Vika Azarenka gets Wimby WC

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM
updated list for Wimbledon http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8308032#post8308032

WC list
Wild Cards:
1. Azarenka, Viktoria
2. Keothavong, Anne
3. Radwanska, Agnieszka
4. Borwell, Sarah
5. O'Brien, Katie
6. South, Melanie
7. Molik, Alicia
8. Brit WC play-off winner

VeeDaQueen
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM
3 non-brits :eek: good for the LTA to step it up and not give it to shit :yeah:

clonesheep
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:46 PM
3 non-brits :eek: good for the LTA to step it up and not give it to shit :yeah:
Totally agree. I hope US Open will do the same this year and not giving WC to some 2-bit American college players who could not withstand the second serve of Elena Dementieva.

manu32
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:49 PM
better choice than RG......only french or australian for "money" deal......

waratahsrock
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:51 AM
:D Great choice giving it to Vika - she really deserves it

Dan23
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM
:D Great choice giving it to Vika - she really deserves it
my thoughts exactly :yeah:

Gowza
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:18 AM
hopefully she gets a good draw and shows what she's about.

MH0861
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:20 AM
She can definitely win a few rounds.

janko
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:21 AM
updated list for Wimbledon http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8308032#post8308032

WC list
Wild Cards:
1. Azarenka, Viktoria
2. Keothavong, Anne
3. Radwanska, Agnieszka
4. Borwell, Sarah
5. O'Brien, Katie
6. South, Melanie
7. Molik, Alicia
8. Brit WC play-off winner

great choice :worship:
is the play off draw already known?

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Vika :woohoo:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:25 AM
great choice :worship:
is the play off draw already known?

Yes..its in the WIMBLEDON THREAD :D :bounce:

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Great choices!!! Good luck Vika and Aga!!!

Drake1980
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:39 AM
awesome choices!

mila_mail
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:45 AM
i like azarenka and radwanska
beat all players pleasse

polishprodigy
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I like these WC choices. There are enough WC's to Brits, to keep them happy and to give them the $11,000 they so desperately need for losing in the first round (although I sure hope that they can win a round and increasingly they are showing they have the ability to do so).

I LOVE the choice of giving a WC to Radwanska. She has proven that she can compete with top 50 players, having achieved a rank of 200 in such a short time! I think if she doesn't draw a high or middle seed, she can win a round. Azarenka is a good choice as well, and good job to give it to Molik as she had a surprise run at the FO (mind you with an easier-than-normal draw) and deserves any help in her comeback to the tour.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Yes Go Vika!!!

dorotek23
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:33 AM
It's nice to junior Grand Slam champions receiving wild. I think US Open should do the same this year.

Hope Vika and Aga will have good draw and win at least one match :woohoo:

CooCooCachoo
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Azarenka could definitely win a few matches.

Radwanska? I'm sorry but one tournament on clay does not warrant a MD WC, especially with this girl having no real grass experience at this level. I am guessing the Polish Tennis Federation offered quite some money.

PerfectForm
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Go Vika!!

Dexter
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Great news for Wika :yeah: :D

Radwanska? I'm sorry but one tournament on clay does not warrant a MD WC, especially with this girl having no real grass experience at this level. I am guessing the Polish Tennis Federation offered quite some money.yeah surely :spit: :rolleyes: like they had it - shows as much you know :lol:

Scotso
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I'd like to hear their reasoning behind those two other than Alicia.

If Jane doesn't get the playoff WC, I'm going to be pissed :fiery: :sad:

pla
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Radwanska? I'm sorry but one tournament on clay does not warrant a MD WC, especially with this girl having no real grass experience at this level. I am guessing the Polish Tennis Federation offered quite some money.

Aga is the Junior Wimbledon champion too, so it's understandable.

But it's so nice they both had it, I hope a good draw for both of them. :)

bello
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Totally agree. I hope US Open will do the same this year and not giving WC to some 2-bit American college players who could not withstand the second serve of Elena Dementieva.

Im sure US WCs could do alot more damage than British ones, even the opnes that got WCs (South, Borwell, O'Brien, Play off winner?)
US WCs should be good! Ahsha, Jessica, Alexa etc..

Pdm1987
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Why are the stupid LTA giving out wildcards to foreigners? And foreigners that the wimbledon crowd won't have heard of? Radwanska? Azarenka? :rolleyes: So what if they have a greater chance of winning a round or two.

The Wimbledon crowd would rather watch a British player they've never heard of lose, than watch some foreigner they've never heard of. It's simple enough. The LTA really piss me off sometimes with the way they treat our players. It'll probably be Jane O'Donoghue who gets the last one too, just to top it all off :rolleyes:

Mattographer
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Why are the stupid LTA giving out wildcards to foreigners? And foreigners that the wimbledon crowd won't have heard of? Radwanska? Azarenka? :rolleyes: So what if they have a greater chance of winning a round or two.

The Wimbledon crowd would rather watch a British player they've never heard of lose, than watch some foreigner they've never heard of. It's simple enough. The LTA really piss me off sometimes with the way they treat our players. It'll probably be Jane O'Donoghue who gets the last one too, just to top it all off :rolleyes:
Let's face - can you think of any British player can win a match apart from Elena Baltacha?

Pdm1987
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Let's face - can you think of any British player can win a match apart from Elena Baltacha?

Did I say there were any british players that were more likely to win a match than Azarenka?

I said that British players should get the WC's because even if no-one knows who they are, the crowd would rather watch them because they're british.

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I agree 100%! I can understand Radwanska as she won the juniors but Azarenka :eek: :eek: :eek: I can speak for alot of brits and they would prefer to watch a Keen(janes) or Llewellyn over Vika, simple. I would have prefered them to give it to a dokic/tanasugarn because at least people know them.

LTA once again :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

How is womens tennis going to improve if girls think the LTA doesnt even support them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wojtek
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:47 AM

She won last year Wimbledon jr. She coudn't play more matches on grass because we have only 4 events on grass per year.

How many matches Azarenka won on grass in WTA??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

N.M.
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM

They don't have money, you know? :rolleyes: She saw a grass court for the first time at British Embassy in Warsaw, then played a juniors event where she lost and next week played juniors Wimbledon, where she won. Without even having appropiate shoes for the performance. She doesn't have a coach except her father who's never been a tennis player and until this year her parents paid almost all tennis trips for her and her sister. She signed a better contract now but it works this way that the sponsor takes some money from the income.

Poland is not like The Netherlands, you know? Not everybody has as much money as you wish to buy as many Wild Cards as you wish. I'd doubt Belarussian Tennis Federation is rich too, and the card for Azarenka was bought as well?

Your statement is disrespectful and remember not everybody was winning Slams at the age of Hingis. Henin-Hardenne slowly started her breakthrough at the age of Radwańska.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
its a good choice she deserves a go

N.M.
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Of course! If to choose cards for two junior players, they couldn't have chosen better than Azarenka and Radwanska, both could play quallies without ranking problems which proves they both have some experience in seniors' tour, plus Azarenka has been #1 in juniors for long, while Radwanska is current #2 with being current junior champion of Wimby + new champ of Roland Garros.

LTA :worship: On the other hand I understand some disappointment of British fans for giving WCs not to the locals, but though many of British women got them, there's also a play-off for the last one, and who knows, maybe a history will be made but one of the foreigners and one of them is going to be loved soon? :)

DevilishAttitude
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Maybe the LTA are saying to the younger brits unless they improve and start producing results like the Eastern European players, you won't get wildcards.

I'm disappointed Azarenka's got it though. She's got no right to be there except a good junior. I hoped someone famous like Navratilova would be there but no.

I hope Amanda Janes can win the play off has she's the only brit there with any hope of winning a round.

O'donoghue will probably lose to Coles.

It's disappointing really cos no one will watch Azarenka, while someone likes Janes or even Llewellyn could have good support :rolleyes:

Viktymise
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I thought they may give oe to dokic since she is a former semi finalist but she prob turned it down to try get some matches under her belt in the challengers, and no Navratilova either but i think they did pick some good choices for the WC not completley biased this yr

Pszczelny
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I am guessing the Polish Tennis Federation offered quite some money.

:spit: :haha: :tears: :rolls:

are you sure you're talking about Poland and not Saudi Arabia? :lol:

waratahsrock
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm disappointed Azarenka's got it though. She's got no right to be there except a good junior. I hoped someone famous like Navratilova would be there but no.

:bs:

Vika deserves this wildcard. Unlike the british no hopers, Vika has genuine talent and the ability to win matches. She's currently ranked #102 and at the cut off time for the main draw she was only a few slots away from making the main draw on merit.
Whilst she has had some inconsistant results so far this year - on her least fav surfaces, it's only fair that such an exciting young talent is given a shot at Wimbledon.

saki
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Maybe the LTA are saying to the younger brits unless they improve and start producing results like the Eastern European players, you won't get wildcards.

I hope Amanda Janes can win the play off has she's the only brit there with any hope of winning a round.

O'donoghue will probably lose to Coles.

It's disappointing really cos no one will watch Azarenka, while someone likes Janes or even Llewellyn could have good support :rolleyes:

If Janes can't win the play-off, no way would she win a round at Wimbledon. Unless she drew another British WC.

I think it's good to make the British players work for it, otherwise it's effectively an annual handout and that's not really justified by their results.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Vika deserves this wildcard. Unlike the british no hopers, Vika has genuine talent and the ability to win matches. She's currently ranked #102 and at the cut off time for the main draw she was only a few slots away from making the main draw on merit.
Whilst she has had some inconsistant results so far this year - on her least fav surfaces, it's only fair that such an exciting young talent is given a shot at Wimbledon.

Exactly.

Anyone who's ever seen Vika play before will understand why she got the WC.

Vut
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
good!

Asif_Nawaz
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
She won last year Wimbledon jr. She coudn't play more matches on grass because we have only 4 events on grass per year.

How many matches Azarenka won on grass in WTA??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree!Also,Instead of Azarenka,Paszek should have been given a WC cuz she was girls finalist last year and she beat Viktoria.

Experimentee
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Lots of non-British WC's this year :eek:

I guess Radwanska was logical since she won the junior Wimby last year, so those who saw the junior tournament would know her, but Azarenka is unknown in Britain. She hasnt done anything outstanding on grass either.

They should give WC to someone whos done well at Wimbledon before, like Tanasugarn, or even Brits who people will go to see even though they cant win a match.

The only real problem I have with giving out WC to junior is that its really arbitrary, I mean, how does Azarenka deserve a WC over any other good junior? There are others like Morita who did well at Birmingham, or Yung Jan Chan, who are better on grass, even Wozniaki and Paszek.

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Lots of non-British WC's this year :eek:

I guess Radwanska was logical since she won the junior Wimby last year, so those who saw the junior tournament would know her, but Azarenka is unknown in Britain. She hasnt done anything outstanding on grass either.

They should give WC to someone whos done well at Wimbledon before, like Tanasugarn, or even Brits who people will go to see even though they cant win a match.

The only real problem I have with giving out WC to junior is that its really arbitrary, I mean, how does Azarenka deserve a WC over any other good junior? There are others like Morita who did well at Birmingham, or Yung Jan Chan, who are better on grass, even Wozniaki and Paszek.

:spit:

You think Morita or Yung Jan Chan would beat Azarenka on grass? :rolls:

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:30 PM

She hasn't played any grass tournaments on the WTA Tour for the same reason. So :rolleyes: to you.

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM

It's better to give it to some unknown who has a chance of winning some matches then to some local club favorite. :rolleyes: Who cares if the crowd doesn't want to watch them. Wimbledon is more important for the players than for some stuck-up British crowd. :smash: Once they see Azarenka, I doubt they want to go watch some British girl ranked #35771247217422472.

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Oh no! Boohoo! They have to watch someone new. The world is coming to an end. :sobbing:

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM
God a bit agressive aren't we!

The 4 semi finalists in the play-offs are Jane O'Donoghue, Karen Paterson, Naomi Cavaday and Georgie Stoop

Cavaday plays Stoop and O'Donoghue plays Paterson.

Hopefully Naomi can come through.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
most of the people in this thread complaining about Vika getting the WC have never even seen her play and are oblivious of her talent :rolleyes:

AyumiMorita
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:54 PM
even though i would like to see Morita or any other junior get the wildcard, Azarenka won the aussie and us open last year and she qualified for the french and lost 9-7 in the third to Medina Garrigues on clay

i think its good that they're helping the juniors and giving them new opportunites to prove themselves

DevilishAttitude
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM

So? Just cos she has ability doesn't mean she deserves a wildcard. I know she's a good player but I know if I was Wimbledon I'd rather see a Brit play than Azarenka.

If Janes can't win the play-off, no way would she win a round at Wimbledon. Unless she drew another British WC.

I think it's good to make the British players work for it, otherwise it's effectively an annual handout and that's not really justified by their results.

Unless Janes is injured, I'd be seriously shocked if she lost to anyone in the playoffs.

I don't think it's bad, I just think the wildcard could have been better used.

Oh no! Boohoo! They have to watch someone new. The world is coming to an end. :sobbing:

Home countries should give wildcards to HOME players. Everyone else does it.

Janes lost??? :sad: Please don't let Jane O'fuckingDonoghue win it, she'd be double bageled by nearly everyone in the draw. Hopefully Cavaday, our main junior hope can win it

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM
play-off semis results

O'Donoghue def Paterson 6-2 6-3

Cavaday def Stoop 7-6(1) 5-7 6-1

I hope Naomi wins the final she deserves it. The other 3 should be in qualifying along with Becky Llewellyn, Sarah Coles and prob Claire Peterzan.

Slumpsova
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Vika :D
hopefully it's the tournament to crack into top 100.

A'DAM
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:35 PM
They don't have money, you know? :rolleyes: She saw a grass court for the first time at British Embassy in Warsaw, then played a juniors event where she lost and next week played juniors Wimbledon, where she won. Without even having appropiate shoes for the performance. She doesn't have a coach except her father who's never been a tennis player and until this year her parents paid almost all tennis trips for her and her sister. She signed a better contract now but it works this way that the sponsor takes some money from the income.

Poland is not like The Netherlands, you know? Not everybody has as much money as you wish to buy as many Wild Cards as you wish. I'd doubt Belarussian Tennis Federation is rich too, and the card for Azarenka was bought as well?

Your statement is disrespectful and remember not everybody was winning Slams at the age of Hingis. Henin-Hardenne slowly started her breakthrough at the age of Radwańska.

Wrong!!! He did play tennis semi-pro :wavey:

waratahsrock
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:02 PM
So? Just cos she has ability doesn't mean she deserves a wildcard. I know she's a good player but I know if I was Wimbledon I'd rather see a Brit play than Azarenka.

:lol::o

Are you that patriotic? C'mon seriously for the quality of the tournaments sake they have made the correct decision. Thankfully your not in a position to make these sorts of decisions.

Scotso
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Are you that patriotic? C'mon seriously for the quality of the tournaments sake they have made the correct decision. Thankfully your not in a position to make these sorts of decisions.

A lot of these Brits have won rounds at Wimbledon. And they are BRITS! It has nothing to do with being patriotic... it would be better for the tournament to give WCs to British players.

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:28 PM
most of the people in this thread complaining about Vika getting the WC have never even seen her play and are oblivious of her talent :rolleyes:

If Vika wins 2 rounds, I'll be stunned...but they have to give it to someone I guess.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Congrats Vika!!! :woohoo: :yeah: :woohoo:

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:21 PM

ermmmmm...... cos she was the ITF World Junior Champ :p

and I'll be watching :angel:

gumoll
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:23 PM
congrats Vika!!!

I hope in next year more foreigns will play in the MD with WC's!!! I hope that Vika will play in first round with a British player and than we will see who deserved to have WC!!!!

DevilishAttitude
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM

It's got nothing to do with quality. Azarenka may be better quality by some way from British wildcards but no one cares about that.

It's not like Vika couldn't have qualified anyway :rolleyes:

Dymension
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
:bounce::bounce:

jj74
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I don't see any controversy in Vika's wc, she was almost a top 100 player, she was nº1 junior last year and she make semis in wimbledon junior two years so she can play on grass (Wozniaki, Morita or Paszek are very far from top 100 maybe a wc for the qualys but not a md wc)

Monica_Rules
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Naomi Cavaday got the final MD WC.

She beat O'Donaguhe 2-6 6-4 6-4 in the play-off final.

Freakan
Jun 30th, 2006, 10:45 PM
bump :bounce:

Someone was ver very very wrong about something :p :devil:

Dexter
Jul 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM
:lol: :devil: :p

Piotr'ek
Jul 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
:hatoff:

gumoll
Jul 1st, 2006, 10:35 AM
:bigwave: :lol:

Pszczelny
Jul 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
:spit:

Munich
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:02 AM
You Polish can keep laughing your last laugh until Clijsters whips Radwanska's ass :wavey: :devil:

Dexter
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
You Polish can keep laughing your last laugh until Clijsters whips Radwanska's ass :wavey: :devil:it doesn't really matter now :smoke:

Piotr'ek
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM
You Polish can keep laughing your last laugh until Clijsters whips Radwanska's ass :wavey: :devil:You Germans also until Italy will smack you in the semi :wavey:

Munich
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM
You Germans also until Italy will smack you in the semi :wavey:
yes like Germany smacked Poland in the very first round :banana: :devil:

Jogi
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:12 AM
You Germans also until Italy will smack you in the semi :wavey:
what was the Germany-Poland-score? ;)

Piotr'ek
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
yes like Germany smacked Poland in the very first round :banana: :devil:so? :rolleyes:
Without Polish strikers your team is so weak :rolleyes:

Munich
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:20 AM
so? :rolleyes:
so Poland got their ass kicked out of World Cup and Germany is now in semis ;) :wavey:

Niunia
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
You Polish can keep laughing your last laugh until Clijsters whips Radwanska's ass :wavey: :devil:

I don't expect that Radwanska win against Kim, and yes even if Aga lose next match is nothing to shame for young player .

Pszczelny
Jul 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM

who cares this :haha:

N.M.
Jul 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM
what was the Germany-Poland-score? ;)
Once again, where was the German first team's attack born and girlfriends from which country do they have? :scratch:

Freakan
Jul 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM

She already did much more than anyone expected from her :rolleyes: