PDA

View Full Version : Is the grass court season too short - what do you think?

watchdogfish
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Looking at the Tour calendar the gap between the Australian Open and Roland Garros is 17 weeks, whereas the gap between the final of Roland Garros and the first day of Wimbledon is just 2. The gap between Wimbledon and the US Open is 7 weeks.

This got me thinking, should the players have more time to rest and prepare for Wimbledon by having more grass court tournaments?

Maybe reducing the number of indoor and outdoor hardcourt tournaments after the Australian Open would help. This would mean the clay court season starting earlier and Roland Garros being brought forward so there would be at least four weeks of grass court play before Wimbledon.

What do you think?

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Looking at the Tour calendar the gap between the Australian Open and Roland Garros is 17 weeks, whereas the gap between the final of Roland Garros and the first day of Wimbledon is just 2. The gap between Wimbledon and the US Open is 7 weeks.

This got me thinking, should the players have more time to rest and prepare for Wimbledon by having more grass court tournaments?

Maybe reducing the number of indoor and outdoor hardcourt tournaments after the Australian Open would help. This would mean the clay court season starting earlier and Roland Garros being brought forward so there would be at least four weeks of grass court play before Wimbledon.

What do you think?

I agree 100%. I think the tournaments prior to clay court season should be more limited...perhaps to Dubai, Indian Wells, and Key Biscayne (the weather is fine in all of those places earlier in the winter). Clay court season could definitely start earlier.

SF

naughty_sprite
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:59 PM

What do you think?

too many hard court ones, hard court is boring!!

LegionArgentina
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:00 PM
The grass is for cows

Maria Croft
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM
The grass season should definitely be longer then just 4 weeks for sure

Wintermute
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Absolutely it should be longer. The scheduling this year is ridiculous. Having Birmingham straight after Roland Garros was always going to be a problem - look at how many players withdrew.

DragonFlame
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
yeah i think so as well. there should be more grasstournie's. What i think is most important though is that there should be more time between roland and wimby. 2 weeks is just too short considering there are loads of tournaments in the end of the year with no grandslam following it. they could make that period a little shorter and put more time between roland and wimby. This gives players the time to recuperate getting off the clay and get extra preparation with more grasstournaments before wimbledon.

LegionArgentina
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I think the grass season should have 7 weeks , no more than that.

joaco
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:19 PM
The grass is for crows

yup.... definetely for cows.... :worship:

johnoo
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
is the weather in paris for Roland Garros really good enough for it to brought forward? paris can be cold and wet in may,wimbledon could be started two weeks later,especially this summer as it clashes with the world cup.

monster
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Absolutely.

Should be at least 3 weeks between French and The Championships.

1. Rosmalen
2. Birmingham
3 Eastbourne

To complement these events or to make the seaqson longer, maybe Surbitan could get cashed up and become a tour event event. Or Halle/Nottingham introduce ladies event. Or Bring back Newport and have it the first week out.

1 week wouldn't really effect the US Hardcourt season or else, move the clay a week earlier. The tour had a free week this year?

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
cut back on the clay and add more grass,that's my philosophy because clay is so BORING.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
it would throw the schedule off big time. i depends on how many more weeks there would be.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
all the Maria and Hantuchova fans want more grass and less clay, wonder why :confused:

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
all the Maria and Hantuchova fans want more grass and less clay, wonder why :confused:

no idea :confused:

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
no idea :confused:

:scratch:

Martian Willow
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Its too long.

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:40 PM
:scratch:

ok,fine daniela sux on clay,there i said it :p

new-york
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:42 PM
cut back on the clay and add more grass,that's my philosophy because clay is so BORING.

I would love that.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I think there are too many hard court tournaments.

SF

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:52 PM

getting rid of 50% of hard court events would be even better.

clay is only 6 weeks plus RG (2 months)
1 month of Grass

and you got 7 months of Hard/Indoor Court events :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM

clay is only 6 weeks plus RG (2 months)
1 month of Grass

and you got 7 months of Hard/Indoor Court events :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o

that's fine with me :confused: .i just don't think many people like clay that much.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I like clay because it makes the points longer.

SF

DragonFlame
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM
.i just don't think many people like clay that much.

i think we have a really really BIG difference in oppinion on that. :lol:

LegionArgentina
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I like clay because it makes the points longer.

SF

:worship:

Clay is my favorite ˇ I hate carpet

felipe2004
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:02 AM
that's fine with me :confused: .i just don't think many people like clay that much.
Basically all South America and most of Europe prefers clay :wavey: ;)
And yeah, I think we could add one more week of grass and one more week of clay, and cut two weeks of carpet or hard tournaments after the Us Open, or cut one of those weeks in the 'after Aus Open to pre clay season' time. :)

Chrissie-fan
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:16 AM

It would be healthier anyway since most injuries happen on hard courts. I think it would be best if the tournaments were more or less equally divided between the different surfaces so that each player, no matter what surface she/he prefers, gets a chance to shine.

iPatty
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM
The grass is for cows

My sentiments exactly. :hearts:

I don't really think it needs too be that much longer. Maybe have two more events, or something. :shrug:

Ravsieg
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM
This is something I've complained for a while.

Steffica Greles
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:27 AM
The grass court season as it is, is a joke.

I've been saying for years and I'll say it again - they should cut out a week or even two weeks from from the clay court season (do we really need Warsaw, Strasbourg, Istanbul?), moving the French Open back in the calendar to fill the space, and move Wimbledon forward a week.

If that were to happen, there would be at least four weeks between the two grandslam tournaments and not two. Players who had played the second week of the French Open, or had competed in a series of weeks on the most exhausting surface of them all, clay, would then be able to rest a week or two and then enter one or two of the warm-up tournaments. You could even have a tier 1 grass court tournament.

That way we wouldn't have players appearing at Wimbledon tired and weary and losing in the first round, as Patty Schnyder seems to enjoy doing most years. Players would also have more time to prepare and become accustomed to the surface, grow in confidence, and we'd probably see better tennis at Wimbledon. We'd also see more serve and volleyers in the men's and women's game throughout the year. They would take grass more seriously, because there would be more weeks allocated to the surface in the calendar.

It's all if's.

Zauber
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:33 AM
yes I pretty well agree with the original post.
The clay is about right
could cut down on the hard court in order to lengthen grass court season.
I am not sure i want more time between rolland garros and Wimbledon.
why not/
because its a special challenge which only Bjorn Borg on the men's side conquered five times. Lendl skipped Rolland Garros once in order to prepare for Wimbledon.
He was the odds on favorite to win another French open title.
mmm
anyone know of hand how many women have accomplished the double of Rolland Garros and Wimbledon?

Jeff
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Since they have opted to make one of the Grand Slam's a grass court...and argueably the most prestigious Slam...yes I think it would make since to add more weeks to the grass court season. And, since there are zero slams on indoor, I think the indoor season should be cut short.

Sammm
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I don't really understand the need for all of these indoor tournaments and hard court tounries after the US Open when we could have more grass. All these tournaments at the end of the year have so many withdrawls because players are so tired and have injuries. Players are missing grass tournies because they're knackered after RG. The WTA tour is really shooting itself in the foot.

Steffica Greles
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I don't really understand the need for all of these indoor tournaments and hard court tounries after the US Open when we could have more grass. All these tournaments at the end of the year have so many withdrawls because players are so tired and have injuries. Players are missing grass tournies because they're knackered after RG. The WTA tour is really shooting itself in the foot.

Exactly! October/November is the beginning of the Australian summer, is it not? They used to be famous for their grass-court tournaments.

Corswandt
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM
What i think is most important though is that there should be more time between roland and wimby. 2 weeks is just too short considering there are loads of tournaments in the end of the year with no grandslam following it. they could make that period a little shorter and put more time between roland and wimby. This gives players the time to recuperate getting off the clay and get extra preparation with more grasstournaments before wimbledon.

is the weather in paris for Roland Garros really good enough for it to brought forward? paris can be cold and wet in may,wimbledon could be started two weeks later,especially this summer as it clashes with the world cup.

I completely agree.

1) Wimbledon was what got me into tennis, I remain a devoted grass junkie to this day, and I loathe the muck of death with a passion. But even from a more neutral POV, it's undeniable that the gap of two weeks between RG and Wimbledon is just too short.

2) Starting RG earlier isn't really an option, since it would greatly increase chances of the tournament running on bad weather. But, even though from what I've heard the two first weeks of July are the ones when it's least likely to rain both in Britain and the Benelux, I suppose it wouldn't do much harm to start Wimbledon say two or even three weeks later (roughly 15-30 July)

3) Personally, I would like to see those two additional weeks filled with grass events, at the expense of the muck of death. The way things are now, there is no "grass season". Just Wimbledon+a few low tier warmups no one really cares about.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I've been saying it for YEARS! They need to expand the grass season by 3 more weeks, make Birmingham a Tier I and make a bigger to-do about the grass season, as opposed to....here's a 3 week filler from RG to the Champs

janko
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:14 AM
yes the grass court seson has to be longer, playing on grass is better for the show than on carpet. :rolleyes:
They should add a tournament in Europe and maybe start before for the ones who hate clay!
used to be grass court events in Australia, Newport is a possibility so as Surbiton, and why not something in India or in Japon for challenger players who are in Asia?
The itf of Marseille had the project a few years ago to change clay into grass, very good idea, but nothing so far, maybe to expensive :confused:

grass rocks! it s yhe only moment during the year when we can see something different so a few more events should exist :)

Gowza
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:16 AM
it's definately too short, and there also aren't enough carpet tournaments. if they are going to put a surface on the calender there should be enough tournaments for the players that like that surface or where the surface suits a players game so that those players can earn a decent amount of points. compare how many clay and hardcourt events there are throughout the year, what if a player is better on grass and carpet. they are limited to only a handfull of tournaments to get their best results. players like venus and sharapova would be further up the rankings if there were more grass events, it's an unfair advantage to claycourters and hardcourt players in terms of the chances they have of earning points (comparitively speaking in terms of how many grass to clay to hardcourt tournaments are held). venus and sharapova might be bad examples because they're already pretty high on the ranks but a lot of players would have much better rankings if there were more grass events or more carpet events. i just think if they are going to put a surface on the tour then they should make it fair so that there are a similar amount of tournaments on each surface.

VeeDaQueen
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:50 AM
if you get rid of indoor tournament weeks, and then push Wimbledon back to add a few grass weeks, that means the US Open would be played in mid-October or so; if ya didn't know: it would not be very enjoyable to play in New York in October :)

Prizeidiot
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:45 AM
It's definitely too short... considering how many clay and hardcourt tournaments there are. We need some balance, so that players with aggressive serve and volley games have the same opportunity to succeed as someone who can stand far behind the baseline and grind for hours on end.

And, I mean, grass the friendliest surface on the body, easy on the joints, rallies aren't too long, replacing hard court tournaments could cut down on a lot of injuries on tour.

Mightymirza
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:13 AM
yesh Its too short.. :( would like itto be longerrr

Andy.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Yes it is, shorten the clay season by a week or 2 and give it to the grass season i say

Reckoner
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:18 AM
It's definitely too short... considering how many clay and hardcourt tournaments there are. We need some balance, so that players with aggressive serve and volley games have the same opportunity to succeed as someone who can stand far behind the baseline and grind for hours on end.

And, I mean, grass the friendliest surface on the body, easy on the joints, rallies aren't too long, replacing hard court tournaments could cut down on a lot of injuries on tour.
I completely agree with you. If you cut out some of those hard court tourny's you'd have less injuries and then less people complaining about the season being too long. :tape:

switz
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
the simple reality is that grass court tournaments aren't practical because they aren't found anywhere in Europe really aside from Great Britain and the odd places in Germany/Netherlands. GB doesn't have enough major centres to support more tournaments and they aren't going to play a few lead ups, then Wimbledon, then fly back to Australia for some more grass court tennis.

it's a shame but grass courts needs too much care for them to economically viable for new tournaments.

switz
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM
We need some balance, so that players with aggressive serve and volley games have the same opportunity to succeed as someone who can stand far behind the baseline and grind for hours on end.

that would have been a decent argument ten years ago but there are really no genuine serve and volleyers left on tour. Vinci is probably the closest to one but even she wouldn't be by traditional standards.

i think a lot of people really don't realise how hard it is to maintain a grass court to a professional standard and you can't just go find a field somewhere a mow it to get a grass court.

Martian Stacey
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Definately, there should be more time between Roland Garros and Wimbledon, the grass court season should be at least a week or two longer than it is now. This would give players who make it to the second week of RG more time to rest afterwoods, and still allow them to play 1 or 2 lead up events to Wimbledon on grass.

Martian Stacey
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Exactly! October/November is the beginning of the Australian summer, is it not? They used to be famous for their grass-court tournaments.
No, December is the beginning of summer in Australia :)

Marcus1979
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:46 AM
I say November is beginning of summer here

look how warm it gets even in November :lol:

Martian Stacey
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:50 AM
I say November is beginning of summer here

look how warm it gets even in November :lol:
I don't remember last November being particularly warm :lol:

I just remember there was rain :lol:

Marcus1979
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:55 AM
remember the one before though where we had all those days in upper 30's and lower 40's towards middle - end of the month

Prizeidiot
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:12 AM
that would have been a decent argument ten years ago but there are really no genuine serve and volleyers left on tour. Vinci is probably the closest to one but even she wouldn't be by traditional standards.

i think a lot of people really don't realise how hard it is to maintain a grass court to a professional standard and you can't just go find a field somewhere a mow it to get a grass court.
But you can argue that the general slowing down of courts is the reason why fast court players have died off. I reckon you put more grass court tournaments in the calendar, especially big grass court events, and the old school serve and volleyers will come back.

I will agree that maintaining grass courts are a bitch, but I think it's a reasonable sacrifice to make. I'm very biased towards grass, but I still think I'm making a reasonable point.

pla
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
But you can argue that the general slowing down of courts is the reason why fast court players have died off. I reckon you put more grass court tournaments in the calendar, especially big grass court events, and the old school serve and volleyers will come back.

I will agree that maintaining grass courts are a bitch, but I think it's a reasonable sacrifice to make. I'm very biased towards grass, but I still think I'm making a reasonable point.

I have nothing against grass but it's impossible to make it longer unless you cut some big US tournaments. Moving the clay season is impossible because of the weather. The USTA will be quite against such a proposal ;) and then the point switz made is the most valid, it's just too expensive and work-demanding to have a grass courts center able to hold a tournament.

And one more thing, I HIGHLY doubt it's the slowing of the surfaces that got the serve-volley game quasi die. I won't argue if the courts nowadays are slower, I don't have that impression of the hard court surfaces.. I'd say it's more due to the new technologies and phisical preparation of the players.

Kenny
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Yes, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE a longer grass season!