PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Report Day 3

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone, had another full day at Edgbaston today. The weather was overcast, grey, cold with showers so not ideal! It seemed to make everyone crabby!

I'll start off with the matches I watched properly. First up was Peng v Jankovic. Peng was in such a bad mood - she disputed a 'not up' call early on in the match and never really recovered. She looked like Monica could occassionally on grass, when her groundstrokes weren't working and the balls were so low she was practically scraping her knuckles on the floor. Jankovic didn't do anything spectacular, just played solid. Good serving by Peng though overall. I think Peng will only get better on grass, and I can certainly see how effective those groundies must be on hardcourts. During this match I was also watching a bit of Serra Zanetti-Vento, and Sfar-Pironkova. Serra-Vento was a good match for people to watch who just wanted to watch some good long rallies - quite an entertaining match, although Antonellas serve is shockingly bad. Pironkova hits the ball bloody hard (and is quite noisy), and puts her all into every shot and point - definate one to watch!

Next up watched Chakvetadze-Sucha, whilst keeping an eye on Sugiyma, and Mirza v Perry. Sugiyama's match was just yer bog standard routine win - solid if unspectacular. AI looks very happy at the moment, and spent the rest of the day sat watching matches wearing a bright green track suit and listening to her iPod. Mirza v Perry was very entertaining, Perry trying to spin the ball so much to trouble Mirza, sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Mirza again displayed a much more mature approach and shot selection (until it gets tight, then it's hit it hard again), but overall pretty impressed with her and looking forward to her match tomorrow.

I was shocked by Chakvetadze - after every point she didn't win she was berating herself and getting angry and at times looked set to burst into tears - I should point out she was ahead the whole match and won it quite convincingly - her Dad (I think) was watching - she kept looking up to him, he didn't stop smoking the whole match!!! She also didn't seem very good at realising that sometimes you don't win the point because the other person hit a good shot, rather than you doing something wrong (if that makes sense!!).

Saw little bits of Sharapove-Rolle and Schiavone-Vento-Kabchi. Rolle has a great serve and good volleys, but quite a strange demeanour on court. Sharapova certainly isn't as popular as she once was - earlier she was overheard being quite rude to a bunch of schoolkids asking for her autograph, then suddenly when a camera and press turned up, she was all smiles! She played OK! Schiavone had fun I think - except for injury time outs for what appeared to be a back problem, nothing serious I think though and she played well - amazing spins and touch shots.

The other matches I saw all of (simultaneously) was Bartoli-Matteck, and Vera-Sucha. Have to say I am so impressed with Vera - she still looks like she is playing the best tennis here - such sensible shots and serving and she is smiling lots and laughing when she makes mistakes which is good! I rate her chances of reaching the final! To be honest Sucha didn't bring much to the court today.

Bartoli-Matteck in some ways was hilarious. No chocking I don't think at the end. It was a total war of attrition, long rallies often ending in errors but forced ones at least - both making strange noises and huffs and puffs - both, have to say, with shockingly bad movement. After every point (literally) Bartoli looked at her coach. She is just so funny to watch - her technique is so bizarre - but quite effective, and good serving from her! She is a character I'll give her that!

LAstly was Likhovtseva. She had very negative body language and not much confidence, despite being ahead the whole time. Her backhand in particular often ended up in the net. I think though, to all those that think she will retire at the end of this year, she has no plans to. She has been training here so hard and having very long discussions with her coach. She was fighting hard for every point. I can't help thinking that if she knew in her mind she was, effectively, winding down, that she might not do that.

Hope you haven't fallen asleep reading this!!!

Ellery
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks a lot! Nice report :yeah:

Aaron.
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Thank You!

pancake
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for doing it:)
Though I really hope you could tell me something about Morita!:lol:

pcrtennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks alot!!!

Did you see Morita vs Arvidsson?

AaronJoyB
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Graziee

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Only saw about 15 mins of Sofia's match, along with Na's and Lisa Raymonds. Sofia was playing too safe and then missing when trying to be aggressive basically!!!

pcrtennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Did you ahve any impressions of Ayumi MOrita? What about the MOrigami-Raymond match?

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Didn't see Raymond v Morigami, only a bit of Raymond-Stosur. With regards to Morita, there's nothing immediate about her - like you don't think 'wow great forehand' or something. She's very consistent and very quick around the court

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Please, how was Na playing ? Did u take some pics from her ? Thanks :bounce: :D

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
No pics I'm afraid. Na was playing good, although ELeni did not seem on form at all. All the players seem a bit jaded, I think it's the weather.

pierce0415
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
can you expand on what you saw of Na?

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I didn't really see enough of her to be honest, but will see her whole match tomorrow

hablo
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Saw little bits of Sharapove-Rolle and Schiavone-Vento-Kabchi. Rolle has a great serve and good volleys, but quite a strange demeanour on court. Sharapova certainly isn't as popular as she once was - earlier she was overheard being quite rude to a bunch of schoolkids asking for her autograph, then suddenly when a camera and press turned up, she was all smiles! She played OK! Schiavone had fun I think - except for injury time outs for what appeared to be a back problem, nothing serious I think though and she played well - amazing spins and touch shots.

:spit:

thanks for the report :yeah:

xXSarajevoXx
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks SJP :yeah:

TheAllan
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Some quality reporting there, thx. Glad to hear you are warming up to Bartoli.

Derek.
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the report. :yeah:

mirzalover
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:06 AM
what about sania and shenay

LeRoy.
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks . Looking forward to reading your report after tomorrow's matches :wavey:

LeRoy.
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
what about sania and shenay

Sania relieves the pressure

From Alec Kennedy in Birmingham
June 15, 2006

SANIA Mirza reached the third round of a WTA Tour event for the first time in eight months overnight.

The Indian, overcame fitness worries, rain-sodden conditions, and Shenay Perry 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 in the DFS Classic. Mirza, who has been struggling with back problems this year, showed enough against the world No.72, from the United States, to underline her considerable potential on grass.

The world No.41, from Hyderabad, delivered uninhibited flat hitting which causes the ball to stay down lower on this surface, making it a potent threat, and she was unafraid to take risks on the big points.

But Mirza did not consolidate a lead of a set and a service break, and made hard work of a contest which was extended by an aggravating, 80-minute rain delay soon after she had let slip her second-set advantage.

"After last year there has been a lot of pressure on me. And, of course, people expect me to do a lot better than I did last year," she said.

"I am going to take it one at a time and not worry about Wimbledon, or even next week. I only want to worry about tomorrow.

"But pressure is growing by the day. People expect me to do better and it's part and parcel of my life and I have to learn how to block everything out."

Mirza will now meet another American, qualifier Meilen Tu, for a place in the quarter-finals.

switz
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM
:lol: at the Sharapova comment