PDA

View Full Version : Who are you 5 favorites and 5 outsiders for the Wimby title ?

Martian Jeza
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:21 PM
You can name your top 5 favorite to win the Wimbledon and also your 5 outsiders who could cause some suprise at Wimbledon... No biased opinions pls. ;)

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cool thread.

5 favorites:

Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Lindsay Davenport
Amelie Mauresmo
Kim Clijsters
(Justine Henin-H) - Hon. Mention

5 outsiders:

Martina Hingis
Nicole Vaidisova
Ana Lena Goenefeld
Ana Ivanovic
Dinara Safina
(Karolina Sprem/Shahar Peer) - Hon. Mention

SF

Williams Rulez
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM
5 favs:

Venus
Maria
Justine
Amelie
Martina (is lindsay playing?? if she is, i'd probably put her in the favs list)

i'm too lazy to think of the outsiders.. :o

Martian Jeza
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM
5 favs:

Venus
Maria
Justine
Amelie
Martina (is lindsay playing?? if she is, i'd probably put her in the favs list)

i'm too lazy to think of the outsiders.. :o

I don't think Lindsay will play Wimby :shrug:

KBdoubleu
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
5 favorites:
Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo
Lindsay Davenport

5 Outsiders
Nicole Vaidisova
Dinara Safina
Shahar Peer
Ana Ivanovic
Jelena Jankovic

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
A certain Wimbledon defending champion
A certain French Open defending champion
A certain Wimbledon winner from Russia
A certain Australian Open defending champion
A certain 5-time Slam champion from the late 1990's

You know who they are, don't you? ;)

pierce0415
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
favorites

Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Sveta Kuznetsova
Lindsay Davenport (I think she will play)
Amelie Mauresmo

outsiders
Mary Pierce
Nicole Vaidisova
Martina Hingis
Na Li
Ana Ivanovic

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
5 faves:not in order
1.venus
2.amelie
3.kim
4.svetlana
5.maria

5 outsiders
1.daniela
2.ana
3.tatiana
4.nicole
5.hingis

Ballbasher
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Faves:
1.Venus Williams
2.Maria Sharapova
3.Kim Clijsters
4.Justine Henin-Hardenne
5.Nadia Petrova

Outsiders:
1.Jelena Jankovic
2.Martina Hingis
3.Anastasia Myskina
4.Alexandra Stevenson she already did it once ;)
5.Jamea Jackson

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Favourites -

Venus
Maria
Amelie
Justine
Sveta

Outsiders -

Martina H (I think she counts at an outsider after so long out)
Ana Ivanovic
Nicole Vaidisova
Alicia Molik
Nadia Petrova (I know it seems weird to put someone so highly ranked as an outsider but I don't think many people are counting her in with a chance.)

Vacant
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Faves:

Amelie Mauresmo
Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Martina Hingis

Outsiders:

Mary Pierce
Nicole Vaidisova
Ana Ivanovic
Kim Clijsters

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I remain puzzled by people who rank Kim over Justine on grass - on what grounds? Have you actually seen them both play on it? Or are you just assuming that good hardcourt player = good grasscourt player?

NyCPsU
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM
favorites:
maria
amelie
justine
kim
venus

outsiders:
nicole
daniela
shahar
dinara
nastya

Chrissie-fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Favorites:

-Sharapova
-Venus
-Davenport (if she plays, otherwise Clijsters takes her place among my favorites)
-Mauresmo
-Henin

Outsiders:

-Hingis
-Vaidisova
-Ivanovic
-Kuznetsova
-Clijsters

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I remain puzzled by people who rank Kim over Justine on grass - on what grounds? Have you actually seen them both play on it? Or are you just assuming that good hardcourt player = good grasscourt player?

well kim won eastbourne last year,and she took lindsay to 3 sets at wimbledon last year.justine lost first round so going by that i think kim is better.

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:17 PM
well kim won eastbourne last year,and she took lindsay to 3 sets at wimbledon last year.justine lost first round so going by that i think kim is better.

That at least makes some sense. I think it's shortsighted, mind you, since Justine overall has a better record both at Wimbledon and on the grass at Rosmalen. (And also took a set off Venus in the '01 final when Venus was playing really well.) But, mostly, it's my impression when watching them - Justine just looks happier on the grass than Kim - although that may change now that Kim is trying to play shorter points.

tenn_ace
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I bet not as much as I'm puzzled about Sveta not included in most of the predictions even as an outsider? ;)

clonesheep
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM
The "favorites" are similar for everyone so I will just list the "outsiders" (more of my wish list anyway),

1. Anna-Lena Groenefeld
2. Nicole Vaidisova
3. Maria Kirilenko
3. Ana Ivanovic
4. Anna Chakvetadze

Mudbone
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
1. Venus
2. Maria
3. Henin
4. Mauresmo
5. Kuznetsova

outside shot
1. Clijsters
2. Vaidisova
3. Karolina Sprem
4. Davenport(hasn't played/not sure she will)
5. Anna Lena Groenefeld

Mudbone
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I bet not as much as I'm puzzled about Sveta not included in most of the predictions even as an outsider? ;)

I agree!! Kim has reached the semi-finals only once...Justine has reached the Finals once and the semi's twice ....Henin has a vastly superior grasscourt record to Kim...

Il Primo!
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
5 favs

1-Venus
2-MariaS
3-JHH
4-Kim Clijsters
5-Nadia Petrova

5 outsiders
Sveta
Amelie
Nicole
Martina
Ana Ivanovic

tenn_ace
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
1. Venus
2. Maria
3. Henin
4. Mauresmo
5. Kuznetsova

outside shot
1. Clijsters
2. Vaidisova
3. Karolina Sprem
4. Davenport(hasn't played/not sure she will)
5. Anna Lena Groenefeld

probably the least biased prediction :worship:

Mudbone
How many folks actually believe Nadia Petrova has the mental temperment ot win a slam...Especially Wimbledon...Despite her skills, she has never shown the movement to succeed on grass

iPatty
Faves.

1. Venus Williams
2. Nadia Petrova
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Amelie Mauresmo
5. Justine Henin-Hardenne

Outsiders.

1. Kim Clijsters
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova
3. Dinara Safina
4. Nicole Vaidisova
5. Jelena Jankovic

Il Primo!
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
How many folks actually believe Nadia Petrova has the mental temperment ot win a slam...Especially Wimbledon...Despite her skills, she has never shown the movement to succeed on grass
Simply coz she returns and serves extremly well..But we all know that it doesn't count on grass,no no

E. Blackadder
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Faves:
1; Venus Williams
2; Justine Henin-Hardenne
3; Amelie Mauresmo
4; Maria Sharapova
5; Lindsay Davenport

Outsiders
1; Kim Clijsters
2; Svetlana Kuznetsova
3; Martina Hingis

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Well, that puzzles me too but not quite as much because she's always been absurdly underrated. I rate her very highly, I wouldn't bet against her winning another Slam in the next year and, unusually for a youngster, it really could be any of them because she's that versatile.

:inlove:
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
:: The Favorites ::

Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Amelie Mauresmo
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Svetlana Kuznetsova

:: The Darkhorses ::

Nadia Petrova
Kim Clijsters
Martina Hingis
Lindsay Davenport
Dinara Safina

If Lindsay is not playing, I swap her for Jelena Jankovic/Elena Dementieva/Anastasia Myskina. :p

Jamion
favs:

Amelie
Martina
Venus
Kim
MaSha

outsiders:

Daniela
ALG
Makiri
Justine
Sania

iPatty

Are Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova good movers? No. Have they succeeded on grass? Yes.

Nadia has a huge serve, big, flat groundstrokes, and she likes to come into the net and use her great volleys. Can you please tell me why she wouldn't do well on grass?

tenn_ace
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Are Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova good movers? No. Have they succeeded on grass? Yes.

Nadia has a huge serve, big, flat groundstrokes, and she likes to come into the net and use her great volleys. Can you please tell me why she wouldn't do well on grass?

Linzi and Maria don't use extreme western grip like Nadia does so it is more difficult for her to get under the low bouncing balls

Shenanigans
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
In no particular order

Favourites
Venus
Amélie
Maria
Justine
Svetlana

Other
Nadia
Nicole
Kim
Alicia
Martina

Volcana
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Likely Winners
Venus
Sharapova
Davenport (If she plays)
Henin-Hardenne
Mauresmo

Outside Chance
Vaidisova
Petrova
Mirza
Hingis
Molik (If she was healthy, she'd be on the other list)

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
faves:
Lindsay
Maria
Venus
Justine
Kim

dark horses:
martina h.
kuznetsova
vaidasova
petrova
mauresmo

AnywhereButHome
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
favs.
Venus
Maria S
Mauresmo
Hingis
Hardenne

Outsiders
Ivanovich
Sprem
Jankovich
Vaidisova
Peer

AaronJoyB
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Vee
Kim
Nadia
Maria
Amelie

outsider
Juju
Nicole
Frannie
Lindsay
Kuzzie

lee station
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Venus or HH

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:10 PM
FavoUrites:

-Madame Henin-Hardenne.
-Mademoiselle Mauresmo.
-Madame Davenport.
-Mademoiselle Williams.
-Mademoiselle Dushevina.

Outsiders:

-Mademoiselle Jankovic.
-Mademoiselle Navratilova.
-Mademoiselle Peer.
-Clij.
-Sharap.

FedExpress
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Faves:
Sharapova
Henin-Hardenne
V. Williams
Mauresmo
Hingis

Outsiders:
Kirilenko
Kuznetsova
Vaidisova
Ivanovic
Dementieva

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
favs:
venus
sharapova
kuznetsova
mauresmo
henin

outsiders:
davenport
clijsters
vaidisova
hingis
petrova

iWill
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Favorites
1. Venus
2. Maria
3. Amelie
4. Lindsay
5. Kim

Outsiders
1. Justine
2. Nicole
3. Petrova
4. Peer
5. Martina

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Kim has more grass court titles. Kim has a 75% win/loss record on grass and Justine has a 68% win/loss record on grass. Justine has a huge backswing on her shots. Kim gets her racket back early (like the WS), and moves better on the court.

SF

eugreene2
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM
FAVORITES
Sharapova
Davenport (if she plays)
Venus
Clijsters
Henin

OUTSIDERS
Hingis
Mauresmo
Nicole Vaidasova
Kutznesova
Petrova

THAT'S THE LIST - NO QUESTIONS NECESSARY!!!

By the way, the person who put Daniela on the list had a long night of Long Island Ice Teas. They are VERY drunk.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
By the way, the person who put Daniela on the list had a long night of Long Island Ice Teas. They are VERY drunk.

I almost put Daniela on my list. The reason being, she moves well, hits flat shots, has touch, volleys well, and is difficult to pass. She's been to the finals of Eastbourne once. She has grass court wins over:

Navratilova
Frazier (twice)
Stevenson (@ Eastbourne in the year of her SF run at Wimby)
Sprem
Sugiyama
Mauresmo
Dokic
Bovina (twice)
Peer

She didn't make my list, but I CERTAINLY wouldn't write her off. If I were a top seed, I would not be happy if I ran into her in an early round.

SF

VRee_Willario
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Venus gagnera
:worship:

PLP
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Of course I want Marti to go all the way but w/o bias:

5 favorites:
Justine/Venus/Maria, 3 biggest favs
Lindsay Davenport (if she plays of course)
Amelie Mauresmo, can she overcome her SF rut?

5 outsiders:
Kim Clijsters/Martina Hingis, these 2 have great chances depending on the draw, they are almost favs, Kimmie has to be there mentally and Marti has to serve well!
Nicole Vaidisova/Dinara Safina, both very dangerous
Maria Kirilenko, beautiful net game, Breakthrough GS?

PLP
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
:) Wow, I totally forgot about Petrova! Of course she is a threat, also Sveta, I guess this is a pretty open field>P

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:11 PM
:) Wow, I totally forgot about Petrova! Of course she is a threat, also Sveta, I guess this is a pretty open field>P

She'll certainly be well rested!

SF

V-MAC
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Favourites
Venus Williams
Lindsay Davenport (if she plays)
Maria Sharapova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Amelie Mauresmo

Outsiders
Anne Keothavong
Nicole Vaidisova
Kim Clijsters
Anastasia Myskina
Tatiana Golovin

Juju #1
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Kim has more grass court titles. Kim has a 75% win/loss record on grass and Justine has a 68% win/loss record on grass. Justine has a huge backswing on her shots. Kim gets her racket back early (like the WS), and moves better on the court.

SF

Justine's record on grass:

Win-Loss record................26-8.....76.47 %

janko
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Faves

Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Amélie Mauresmo
Justine Henin
Kim Clijsters

Outsiders

Svetlana Kuznetsova
Dinara Safina
Anna Ivanovic
Nadia Petrova
Alicia Molik

Possible surprises (not winning but a good run) for Jamea Jackson, Nicole Vaidisova, Anastasya Myskina, Mara Santangelo, Roberta Vinci, Shennay Perry and Anna Lena Groenefeld

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Justine's record on grass:

Win-Loss record................26-8.....76.47 %

26-8 = 69%

8/26 = .307

100-30.7 = 69.3

Kim's grass court record is 34-9.

SF

Juju #1
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM
26-8 = 69%

8/26 = .307

100-30.7 = 69.3

Kim's grass court record is 34-9.

SF

:lol:

26/34 = 0.7647

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Oops...

Regardless - Kim's is higher. 79% That was my point. Even if my math was off. I'm a lawer...not a scientist.

SF

Juju #1
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Oops...

Regardless - Kim's is higher. 79% That was my point. Even if my math was off. I'm a lawer...not a scientist.

SF

Not for long...

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Remains to be seen...

SF

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
One of Kim's titles was when Justine retired injured in the Rosmalen final after winning the first set.. so that title doesn't count for me in my personal assessment of Kim's grasscourt skills (obviously it counts on her record) nor does that loss count for me in my assessment of Justine's skills. Justine has looked far far more threatening to me on grass, bigger wins, done better at Wimbledon, etc. But, we'll see!

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
One of Kim's titles was when Justine retired injured in the Rosmalen final after winning the first set.. so that title doesn't count for me in my personal assessment of Kim's grasscourt skills (obviously it counts on her record) nor does that loss count for me in my assessment of Justine's skills. Justine has looked far far more threatening to me on grass, bigger wins, done better at Wimbledon, etc. But, we'll see!

I don't want people to get the impression that I think Justine is weak on the grass or anything. I'm just giving my reason for saying that I think Kim's game is suited better for the surface. I definitely think Justine is capable of doing well. I just think she's less likely than some other players with more natural/powerful/aggressive grass court games.

SF

RR-87
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Favs:
Nadia
Kim
Lena D
Amelie
Sveta

Outsiders:
Justine :tape:
Venus :tape:
Masha :tape:
Patty :devil:
Baltacha :haha:

DragonFlame
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Oops...

SF

yeah you're a lawyer, more like an immature brat :lol:
a lawyer has had enough education to make a calculation like that. come on :rolleyes:

BarbaraZ
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I don't care for both of them but you can't compare Kim to Justine when it comes to playing/winning grand slams. Justine's mind stays focused in tough moments while Kim just melts away. Plus, Justine has better FH, BH, volleys, slice, more talent etc. The only problem is that she, due to injuries/illness, played just 1 match on grass in 3 years

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM
yeah you're a lawyer, more like an immature brat :lol:
a lawyer has had enough education to make a calculation like that. come on :rolleyes:

You obviously don't know any lawyers. FYI - I have a college degree and a law degree. Just because I slopped through an equation on a message board doesn't wipe away my education.

My point was that Kim's was higher.

Who's being the brat here?

SF

Lenafan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Again a wide open tournament. Probably moreseo than the French. I am not sure how people can confidently predict a victor and to me Sharapova being a pretty signifciant favorite is surprising to me. This year is starting to remind me more of 2004 than last year. In 2004 we saw some really bizarre Grand Slam finals and champions. Last year with Belgians back and Williams, we had results which seemed more expected.

Clijsters was so dominant during the hardcourt season last year. Sharapova was on her way to the finals against Davenport when Venus showed that she was still a factor - all 3 who have excelled on grass. Justine obviously last year on clay was the obvious favorite.

Due to Venus' rustiness and Sharapova's ankle, noone clearcut here and I think more wide open. Still to me, they are the favorites. The other reason I think it is more wide open is I doubt Venus has the chip on her shoulder like she did last year. I HATE Justine the cheater and quitter, but fact remains she plays a lot more intelligently than most on the tour and has made the first two Grand Slam finals of this year so to not regard her as a legimitate contender to win and maybe even the favorite(yes I said it) to win the tournament is ludicrous. Especially since Davenport won't likely play and the general state of others.

I am surprised how overlooked Amelie is being on what she says her favorite surface. And I think Kuznetsova plays pretty solid tennis and has proven she too can win matches when not playing her best which is something that most of these girls can't do. She won 3 straight matches in the French after slow starts and I really believe she could have won the Final but she had zero belief in herself to beat Justine so she was doomed from the outset. Lost in Henin's 3 titles in 6 years is that neither Clijsters or Kuznetsova forced her to play top level tennis to beat them. Even Henin admitted as much. Kuznetsova didn't give up against Vaidisova or start spraying errors like she did against Henin. As for Kim, she has been good enough to make both semis in both GS' playing uninspired tennis and even if she's disinterested she could still beat a lot of the players in the tourney. Experience counts and maybe Kim has trouble with Henin in GS, but against the others, Kim could still win.

I know the Dementieva pick probably raises some eyebrows as her claycourt season was really bad and she has never thrived on grass nor does she like it, but given the state of tennis and her psyche, maybe it will benefit her, Amelie and Petrova to have zero pressure on them given very disappointing French Opens for all of them. Plus I actually believe her serve has improved. It's her mental game which gives me more concern. Of course, I am not delusional to think she can win it, but hopefully live up to her seeding(which would be an upset) and a break here or there, maybe she could peak during the 2nd week like Nicole did. I know it's wishful thinking but Wimbledon can't be worse than this year's French or Australian can it?

I like Sharapova but Venus, Clijsters, Henin, and Mauresmo would have very good shots to beat her and while the bookies judging by the odds would call it an upset, I am not sure if either of those 4 beat her in Wimbledon that that would be an upset in my book. I can't wait though. It's this kind of wide openness that makes women's game so much more fun to follow than the men's game. It was kind of a letdown that the whole tournament was about Nadal/Federer countdown. It happened and it was a huge letdown.

Favorites

Venus
Sharapova

Contenders

Henin
Clijsters
Mauresmo
Kuznetsova

Could Surprise

Petrova
Vaidisova
Hingis

Wishful darkhorse

Lena

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Nice imput Lenafan. Welcome to the forum.

SF

DragonFlame
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
come on :rolleyes:

your calculation:

26-8 = 69%

8/26 = .307

a lawyer doesn't make a stupid mistake like that and should know how to spell the word lawyer. Anyone who had a decent education, not even an academic education can make a calculation like that.
it's easy to lie on a messageboard, or your education must have been really bad.
if you're telling the truth i wouldn't want you as my lawyer :tape:

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM
come on :rolleyes:

your calculation:

26-8 = 69%

8/26 = .307

a lawyer doesn't make a stupid mistake like that and should know how to spell the word lawyer. Anyone who had a decent education, not even an academic education can make a calculation like that.
it's easy to lie on a messageboard, or your education must have been really bad.
if you're telling the truth i wouldn't want you as my lawyer :tape:

I'm typing on a friggin message board you moron...not writing appellate court briefs! This is the place to make stupid mistakes. If you knew anything about lawyers you'd know that WE ALL STINK AT MATH! With the exception of tax attorneys and patent prosecutors. I think your opinion of attorneys is inflated if you don't think we can make stupid errors.

I don't care what you think I am. You can think I'm a topless dancer if you want...it doesn't friggin matter. However, I challenge you to critique my grammar or prose before you slander my education.

yeah, make the best players there are tired even more, make sure they get more injuries and shorten their careers!

a definate NO from me.

That's "definite," and your sentence structure doesn't make sense. "[m]ake the best players there are tired even more..." WTF?!?

if you want a longer version you can go here:

http://www.la1.be/rtbf_2000/bin/view_something.cgi?id=0150043_sac

click jt en video in the right bottem(the red globe)
a new smaller screen opens

click wich internetconnection you want. (the best 1 is only for people in belgium) then scroll to journal du 11/06/2006 midi. (its in the bottem right now so it will dissapear after tomorrows news)

the topics will appear in the list and you can click tennis-henin.

some more explanation: when justine is playing RG they always go to the same italian restaurant, so she knows the people and the owner there really well. that's the place where they are celebrating the grandslamwin :)

That's "bottom" - you (especially) should know that.
"which"
"disappear"
"tomorrow's"

SF

lolo21
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM
i'm happy to see that Nicole is rated that highly
i can certainly see her being a threat in Wimbledon
with a serve and a forehand like the ones she's got,she has definitely the game to perform on grass.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Favorites
1. Venus
2. Davenport (if she goes)
3. Hingis
4. Mary Pierce
5. Sharapova

Outsiders (I guess....dont really care about outsiders but here goes anyway)
1.Mashona Washington *very doubtful*
2. Clijsters
3. Schnyder
4. Molik
5. Sugiyama *very doubtful*

(I personally dont care for Henin and Mauresmo...Henin quits and will cheat, Mauresmo is cocky to me *why i dont know..with a 1 lucky grand slam* Vadisova I think will do okay..but wont be a threat..clay courts are slow...grass is going to be a big wake up call to her* )

Martian KC
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
(Based on grass game)
1. Maria Sharapova
2. Venus Williams
3. Justine Henin-Hardenne
4. Amelie Mauresmo
5. Nadia Petrova

6. Kim Clijsters
7. Svetlana Kuznetsova
8. Martina Hingis
9. Dinara Safina
10. Anna-Lena Groenefeld

Orion
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM
favorites:

Mauresmo
Henin
Sharapova
Kuznetsova
V. Williams

outsiders:

Clijsters
Petrova
Vaidisova
Hingis
Groenefeld

DragonFlame
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM
thx for the badrep, guess my point is proven :lol:

edit: and a rude pm as well! thx mister lawyer :lol:

saki
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I don't want people to get the impression that I think Justine is weak on the grass or anything. I'm just giving my reason for saying that I think Kim's game is suited better for the surface. I definitely think Justine is capable of doing well. I just think she's less likely than some other players with more natural/powerful/aggressive grass court games.

SF

See, the thing is that I don't think Kim is very aggressive on the grass. Her match last year against Lindsay was just painful to watch as she came forward for short balls, dithered and then drifted back to the baseline. I think Justine is much more inclined towards being aggressive, although not as much as she should be. And, I also think her game is better suited to grass - the slice on her serves and groundstrokes should give taller players serious problems, her volleys are better, her serve is more variable than Kim's but when it's firing it's better.

I think, basically, the difference between them is summed up in their results at Wimbledon - Justine varies between doing really well and collapsing in the first round whereas Kim will beat most players on grass but doesn't seem to ever do well against the really good players on it. That's not to say that I don't think Kim could do well on grass, I think this year should be better for her than previous years because she seems more aggressive than usual but I wouldn't put her in my top 5 picks. I think she'd be 6th.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:43 PM
See, the thing is that I don't think Kim is very aggressive on the grass. Her match last year against Lindsay was just painful to watch as she came forward for short balls, dithered and then drifted back to the baseline. I think Justine is much more inclined towards being aggressive, although not as much as she should be. And, I also think her game is better suited to grass - the slice on her serves and groundstrokes should give taller players serious problems, her volleys are better, her serve is more variable than Kim's but when it's firing it's better.

I think, basically, the difference between them is summed up in their results at Wimbledon - Justine varies between doing really well and collapsing in the first round whereas Kim will beat most players on grass but doesn't seem to ever do well against the really good players on it. That's not to say that I don't think Kim could do well on grass, I think this year should be better for her than previous years because she seems more aggressive than usual but I wouldn't put her in my top 5 picks. I think she'd be 6th.

I don't disagree much with what you're saying. I must admit that I did not see Kim's match vs. Lindsay last year. I still think Kim is a better mover. Additionally, I would put Kim and Justine in the same boat in terms of grass court wins. Justine hasn't beaten a top tier grass court specialist. Like I've pointed out, her only top ten wins at Wimbledon have been vs. (4) Capriati in 2001 and (4) Seles in 2002. Neither of them are fantastic grass court players. Capriati can barely serve, and Seles' two handed forehand is a major liability on grass.

I think the Belgians are close, and the only significant difference for me is the shorter backswing Kim possess and faster legs.

You do make a good point about her movement to the net however. I agree we'll have to just wait and see. It'd be nice to have a Belgian rematch.

SF

ZAK
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Top 10:

1. Sharapova- not in amazing form but certainly the best grass courter in the top 5
2. Henin-Hardenne- she hasn't won before but compared to everyone she looks pretty good
3. Venus- she played well enough at the French to show that shes back from her injury problems
4. Clijsters- She "should" be higher based on paper, but mentally she seems off this year
5. Mauresmo- great game for grass but mentally is so fragile; she has had many opportunities in the past to win and hasn't
6. Davenport- if she plays she is going to be a threat but will probably go down once she faces a top player
7. Kuznetsova- good form but still inconsistent in quality of play
8. Hingis- i think grass is her worst surface but it does allow her to use her superior net play
9. Petrova- if she is healthy she should do pretty well. she has good volleys but can she take advantage of her chances
10. Vaidisova- she played very well at the French, and in theory she could be good on grass, but did not play that well on the surface last year. she doesn't like low bounces

Lenafan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM
10. Vaidisova- she played very well at the French, and in theory she could be good on grass, but did not play that well on the surface last year. she doesn't like low bounces

I LOVE Vaidisova, but this is an excellent point. Her groundstrokes do better on courts with natural bounces IMO. I think people are jumping to conclusions concluding that powerful groundstrokes and serve automatically equates to being perfectly suited to grass and I think in her case this isn't true yet I am not expecting much from her in Wimbledon. This years US Open on the other hand I am expecting a LOT from her.

No Name Face
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:02 PM
judging by dementieva's erratic nature, i bet she'll make the finals or win it here. it'll be completely random and flukey.

Elisse
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Favorites
Maria Sharapova
Amelie Mauresmo
Venus Williams
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Svetlana Kuznetsova

Outsiders
Martina Hingis
Nicole Vaidisova
Francesca Schiavone
Kim Clijsters
Anna-Lena Groenefeld

:wavey:

Lenafan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
judging by dementieva's erratic nature, i bet she'll make the finals or win it here. it'll be completely random and flukey.

If that is the case she is going to need the draw to do it and do it in a way that Vaidisova did where she struggled early and then started playing very clean tennis until she served for the match against Kuznetsova.

Her fans(me being one of them) and especially her kept pointing out this year's French Open and I think a lot of people figured that this would be the tournament for her. Even if she was playing well, no way she gets through that brutal draw to beat Peer, Hingis, Clijsters, Henin, and Kuznetsova. Maybe devestated is too strong of a word, but she must be severely disappointed by her poor showing seeing as she kept talking about claycourts and the French being her favorite tourney.

But to me her confidence has to be at an alltime low. After her win against Kim in the Fed Cup, she got smoked by Henin, lost to Clijsters, smoked by Hingis. smoked by Safina, lost to Peer ALL in straight sets. Even her early matches preceding Peer she struggled at the French.

I do LMFAO at the fact reading Wertheim's column indicating Peer pasted Dementieva. Even playing terribly, she had a 4-1 lead in both sets and 40-15 I believe! That is not a pasting. She very easily could have won either of those sets, and Lena in 3rd sets is a different player and she would have beat everyone's flavor of the month in Peer. Problem is she is losing in straight sets in most of her matches lately.

What's reallly disturbing though is Peer flat out outwilled her and wanted it more than her and played the big points better. This is what wins GS' tourneys and in the past that is what has won her the matches.

For her to make a run she needs a good draw. To me a good draw means not having Venus or Sharapova, especially Sharapova, in her side of the draw or anywhere near her at least until the quarters. I don't think Lena matches up well with Sharapova in any facet of the game in grass and mentally either.

Don't care about anything else. And obviously an easier path to the 4th round. Wimbledon will seed so I think she can avoid Venus till the 4th round at least. Regardless, I am sure if she gets there 2 of her 3 matches will be 3 setters. Even last year, she should have made the quarterfinals. But her confidence has to be at an alltime low right now and she will need the draw to build up her confidence during the 1st week if she has any shot. Seeing Peer and Hingis was horrifying and I know fans of Li, that Polish youngester to face Lena early. As long as Venus and Sharapova aren't lurking near her, I will happy with the draw. Being an Number 8 seed, you can't avoid everyone unless you are Kuznetsova in the French.

When is the draw coming out anyways?

Regardless, I just hope there is no early round exit. Her confidence can be shot. People point to the fact that she exhibited same pattern last year. Not true. She lost in 1st round at Australian and 3rd round at French and should have lost both. Last year, she should have made quarters in the 1st 3 GS' tourneys. An early round defeat would be devestating and I think if she were to make the 2nd week it would be an upset, but I think she can do it. I really hope she makes the 2nd week. She is playing the worst of anyone in the top 10 right now though. But she has turned it around before.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I think Elena's best shot will come if a draw opens up for her at the US Open. I've always thought of her as a really good baseliner on hard courts.

SF

Nicbob
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
1. Sharapova
2. Venus
3. Henin Hardenne
4. Kuznetsova
5. Vaidisova

Outsiders
Dementieva, Myskina, Safina, Clijsters, Mauresmo

Milito22
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:02 PM
f
Kuznets
Vaidis
Sharap
Hingis
Cljisters

out
Venus
JHH
Pierce
Mauresmo
Davenport

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Since when is the defending champion an "outsider"...?!?

SF

Sammm
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Favourites:
Henin
Sharapova
Clijsters
venus
Kuznetsova

Outsiders:
Zvonareva
Wahington
Jackson
Hingis
vaidisova

Bounty Hunter
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:37 AM
V. Williams
M. Sharapova
K. Clijsters
S. Kuznetsova
L. Davenport

The Daviator
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM
F

Justine Henin-Hardenne
Maria Sharapova
Venus Williams
Lindsay Davenport
Amelie Mauresmo

O

Nadia Petrova
Sveta Kuznetsova
Martina Hingis
Karolina Sprem
Alicia Molik

Kim didn't make the cut in my favourites list, but it feels weird calling her an outsider :shrug: She's the 6th favourite ;)

Junex
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Favorite to win in no particular order

venus
Maria
Justine
Amelie
Kim
Sveta
Nadia

DarkHorse Nation:
Martina H.
Nicole
Groenefeld

Gowza
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:50 AM
favs:
venus
sharapova
davenport
vaidisova (just because of her form at RG)
clijsters

outsiders:
henin (not really an outsider but being i can only pick 5 favs i put her here)
mauresmo
kuznetsova
petrova
dementieva (last 3 out of 4 years she's reached the 4th round, also she's yet to reach the 4th round of a slam this year so she's due)

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:02 AM
F :-
Maria Sharapova
Amelie Mauresmo
Justine Henin-Hardenne
Venus Williams
Kim Clijsters

O :-
Nikki Vaidisova
Martina Hingis
K-Lina Sprem
Nadya Petrova
Ana Ivanovic

kosmikgroove
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:17 AM
My Darkhorses:

1. Serena Williams (She's going to get a last minute wildcard and get far into the maindraw!)
2. Vaidisova
3. ALG
4. Meghan Shaunessy
5. Peng Shuai

partbrit
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:35 AM
My most likely list:

Venus
Maria
Justine
Amelie
Kim

Outside suprises:

Martina
Maria K.
Dinara
Sveta
Nadia

bello
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:53 AM
5 favourites: (possible title winners)

Justine Henin-Hardenne
Venus Williams
Maria Sharapova
Kim Clijsters
Martina Hingis

5 outsiders: (not for title but to do well)

Nicole Vaidisova
Ana Lena Goenefeld
Francesca Schiavone (i know she aint a grasscourter, but either was Conchita!)
Maria Kirilenko
Svetlana Kuznetsova (an outsider in this tourney i reckon, maybe a quarter or semi appearance for her)

xin_hui
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:27 AM
my goodness, can we get this thread through constructively without saying "why did you put my favourite player below her compatriot when she's clearly better on grass"?

favourites
1. venus
2. sharapova
3. lindsay (if she plays)
4. henin hardenne
5. amelie

outsiders
6. svetlana
7. kim
8. martina

eight will suffice. i dont see the trophy going to anyone other than this 8

goodboy
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:35 AM
To win:
Kim C
Venus
Martina H
Nicole V
Maria S

Outsiders:
Lindsay (if she plays)
JHH
Mauresmo
Ivanovic
Safina

Derek.
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Favorites

1. Venus Williams
2. Maria Sharapova
3. Lindsay Davenport
4. Amelie Mauresmo
5. Justine Henin-Hardenne

Outsiders

1. Kim Clijsters
2. Nicole Vaidisova
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova
4. Martina Hingis
5. Anastasia Myskina

Martian Stacey
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Favs:
Venus
Maria
Lindsay (if she's fit)
Justine
Amelie

Outsiders:
Kim
Svetlana
Martina
Nadia
Nicole

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM
5 Favorites (in order)
1. Venus Williams (defending champ...always a threat on grass...best Wimbledon record out of anyone that's TOUCHED a WTA singles court this MILLENIUM (short of Navy). Her strong performance at RG should bode INCREDIBLY well....the only time she didn't make the second week after her debut...well all I have to say is...Ted....GO HOME)
2. Amelie Mauresmo (3 semis in 4 years....the first time, Serena wiped the grass with her...after that, she's gotten SO desparately close...it's almost heartbreaking...especially so close to her birthday (mine too). I think with a good draw (no Venus in her half), she should ROLL through to the final IMO. She has a really good habit of erasing heartbreaking RG showings with GREAT Wimbly performances and I think this year will be no different)
3. Maria Sharapova (like Federer, her grass court credentials have been padded by wins over players who...in a word...SUCK on the surface (for the most part). However, UNLIKE Federer, she was UTTERLY outplayed in her last loss on the surface that made the WORLD know her name. Bar none, she's the best grasscourter, who's last name isn't Williams, and the only reason I put Mauresmo above her is the fact that I'm not certain about the status of her injury. If she mows the field at DFS (which she should), she will be a LOCK in my mind for a SF spot.)
4. Justine Henin-Hardenne (IMM, last year was a freak loss. Justine is a GREAT grass player, and in the words of Serena (how appropriate), barring any setbacks, she should easily be through to at LEAST the quarters. I think she is BY FAR the best grass court player not to have won Wimbledon. I don't think she'll win this year, but she'll make things interesting.)
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (A VERY athletic player...Wimbledon has been known to favor players like that. Her AMAZING performance at RG should be a confidence booster to her, but we'll see...she should definately be in the second week for SURE, but how far...it's all up to her.)

5 Outsiders (in order)
1. Nicole Vaidisova (making the semis of a slam (beating Momo and Venus emphatically back to back...and having a shot to make the finals) should be a HUGE boost of confidence booster...it all depends on how well she manages her time until the 26th)
2. Shahar Peer (made a good show at RG, pushed Hingis...hopefully she can follow it up with a good run here too.)
3. Karolina Sprem (when she's on....WOW, when she's off...WHOA. We never know which Karolina will show up...let's just hope she's NOT wearing pjs at The Championships.)
4. Shenay Perry (I've always liked her game, and now that SHE likes it, she's deadly. Grass suits her and I hope she can do well here.)
5. Ana Ivanovic (always a condenter, rarely a spoiler, hopefully she can live up to her talent and make some noise here.)

*Why Hingis and Clijsters aren't on the lists......they (on grass, IMO) are 2nd tier players...not great, not awful, better than most, but I wouldn't put them on my short list of contenders...that being said, I think they both will easily make the quarters (unless Marti gets another unfortunate draw).

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:45 AM
My Darkhorses:
1. Serena Williams (She's going to get a last minute wildcard and get far into the maindraw!)

*DEAD* I wish...I would :sad: with PURE JOY!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Since when is the defending champion an "outsider"...?!?
SF

When the poster is blinded by Bias

cruisepops
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Five favorites.
Ana Ivanovic
Lindsay Davenport
Martina Hingis
Kim Clijsters
Daniela Huntuchova

Five outsiders.
Francesca Schiavone
Elena Dementieva
Dinara Safina
Nicole Vaidisova
Shuai Peng

Fiver losers
Justine Henin-Hardenne (YUCK!)
Amelie Mauresmo
Maria Sharapova
Venus Williams
Svetlana Kuznetsova

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM
4. Justine Henin-Hardenne (IMM, last year was a freak loss. Justine is a GREAT grass player, and in the words of Serena (how appropriate), barring any setbacks, she should easily be through to at LEAST the quarters. I think she is BY FAR the best grass court player not to have won Wimbledon. I don't think she'll win this year, but she'll make things interesting.)

:spit:

You're damn right mrserenawilliams... you're damn right :worship: