PDA

View Full Version : Factoid: Did you know...

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
...that Adidas and Puma were started by the same family? Both Nazis who started one shoe company? They managed to convince Jessie Owens to wear their shoe in the 1936(?) Berlin Olympics. After WW2...there was a feud between the two...One brother went to jail for his nazi activities and blamed the other causing a split. One started Adidas...the other started Puma. :eek:

Wigglytuff
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
...that Adidas and Puma were started by the same family? Both Nazis who started one shoe company? They managed to convince Jessie Owens to wear their shoe in the 1936(?) Berlin Olympics. After WW2...there was a feud between the two...One brother went to jail for his nazi activities and blamed the other causing a split. One started Adidas...the other started Puma. :eek:
did not know that. but i don't wear either shoe company. their stuff sucks.

also, (i could not make this up if i tried) Prescott Bush (grand-daddy to u - know - who) made at some of his fortune from nazi dealings and banking dramas.

Volkswagen started as an attempt at a working mans car for nazi germany.

Perfection
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM
:worship: Puma

Darop.
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I knew they were 2 brothers who got into a fight, didn't know about the Nazi part... :scratch:

Avid Merrion
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM
yes i did, but only because i read an article about it last week :)

Puma :hearts:

alfajeffster
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:27 PM
...One brother went to jail for his nazi activities and blamed the other causing a split. One started Adidas...the other started Puma. :eek:

Anyone who had a business in Germany between 1933-1944 had to deal with the Nazi regime that was in control of the government. Only Ferdinand Porche was allowed to address Adolf Hitler as "Mr. Hitler" versus the required (under punishment of death in many cases) Der Fuhrer. Ironically, Ferdinand was responsible for and contracted by Hitler to design a "people's car" that would be easily and cheaply mass produced, and (as jigglypuff mentioned) Volkswagen was born. It's important to understand that there were lots of decent business in Germany during the years the Nazis were in power. Many of them could not leave Germany even if they wanted to.

controlfreak
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Factoid #2: the man who founded adidas was called Adi Dassler.

Factoid #3: the man who founded Nike was called Nik Eriksson.

Factoid #4: factoid #3 is a lie.

TF Chipmunk
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I didn't know this :eek: But I did know the Volkswagen part. It was called "The People's Car" or something.

Pengwin
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM
did not know that. but i don't wear either shoe company. their stuff sucks.

Agreed

also, (i could not make this up if i tried) Prescott Bush (grand-daddy to u - know - who) made at some of his fortune from nazi dealings and banking dramas.

We learned about that in GCSE History, he owned two companies which gave out massive loans to the Nazis

Volkswagen started as an attempt at a working mans car for nazi germany.

Yep, it was part of the KdF, the 'rewards scheme' set up by the Nazis for people that were loyal Nazis and hard workers.

Volks = Peoples
Wagen = Car

TdF_DBLL
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
I knew this, there was a documentairy on dutch television a while ago. It wasn't about the Nazi part, but it was fun to watch a family and town split up after a little argument. And still the major has to wear Adidas one day and Puma the other day. :haha: