PDA

View Full Version : Today I played on a polished WOODEN court.

Mana
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
It was my first time so please forgive me! :o

It was so weird. The ball just kind of skids off the court, slice was not effective, so my bh was being eaten. So hitting the ball flat was pretty much the only way either one of us could win points. btw, I won 63 62 60 :D :lol:

Pics to come (of the court)

Dani12
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Polished wooden court? Sounds interesting. When I play my strikes are pretty flat so I would love to try it out.

Mightymirza
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I play similar sort of court all the time...Spins dont work on these courts..Slice just sits up...And the courts I play on are suppperrrrfasttttt and skidding...I love em...but since I hav played all the time on this surface,its killed perception of hitting shots on other surfaces and I keep on hitting them too early making them go out...But I love the fast surface...

Alicia Rocks
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
It was my first time so please forgive me! :o

It was so weird. The ball just kind of skids off the court, slice was not effective, so my bh was being eaten. So hitting the ball flat was pretty much the only way either one of us could win points. btw, I won 63 62 60 :D :lol:

Pics to come (of the court)

:yeah: :D

tfannis
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:02 AM
lol...I did that too a while ago, and I hit an average of 2 aces/game (and I'm a very average playing girl) :lol: It's way too fast :o

Josh.
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
sounds like it would suit me like a duck to water.. ;)

Alicia Rocks
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
sounds like it would suit me like a duck to water.. ;)

:lol: :tape:

Mana
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I have a couple of pics of the surface, but my comp is being a bitch. Will keep trying.

Josh.
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM
cant wait to seem em.. ive never heard of a polished wooden court :confused:

Prizeidiot
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Do you mean like the floors in a Basketball Arena?

Because those surfaces are lightning fast... actually I think Stefan Edberg was brought up on that type of court... hence his incredibly aggressive game

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Because those surfaces are lightning fast... actually I think Stefan Edberg was brought up on that type of court... hence his incredibly aggressive game
Thats what i was thinking

Mana
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Yes, like accual wooden floor boards.

per4ever
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM
University in Ghent has courts on wood as well... it's way too fast to have some nice rallies..

TomTennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
sounds weird, but i know the type of surface you mean.

I think my game would really suit one of them, cos Im guessing the points were short and the balls were coming off the surface really fast.

controlfreak
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Let me guess, indoor sports hall, multi-purpose, and some joker decided to include tennis court markings and a net?

Actually the first time I ever played tennis it was in a sports hall, but it wasn't wood, it was a kind of rubbery plastic. We didn't even get to hit any balls - the teacher made us practise the forehand by hurling our racquets towards the net! (Maybe Marat Safin went to my school too, who knows?)

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:43 AM
OMG :tape:

Nice that you won! :yeah:

Viktymise
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
They are lightning fast, anyone who hits the ball hard and flat would love them but you need good footwork cause the ball comes through at a very quick pace and you need to be ready fast

Rollo
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Can't wait to see your pics.:)

Up until the 1970s most indoor events were played on wood.

Mightymirza
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Let me guess, indoor sports hall, multi-purpose, and some joker decided to include tennis court markings and a net?

Actually the first time I ever played tennis it was in a sports hall, but it wasn't wood, it was a kind of rubbery plastic. We didn't even get to hit any balls - the teacher made us practise the forehand by hurling our racquets towards the net! (Maybe Marat Safin went to my school too, who knows?)
Ditto....NYU has no space hence has to be satisfied with this type of courts :(

Brian Stewart
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I remember the first time I played on a wood court, back in the mid-70's. We were using wood racquets, too. As everyone who has experienced it firsthand has said, lightning fast! I played a guy with 130-MPH serves. It really honed my return game. (That, and the fact there was almost no room behind the baseline-- barely enough to stand there and serve.)

It really teaches you to keep the racquet out in front of you... especially certain parts of you.

Kenny
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds fun! I want to play!!!! lol

TF Chipmunk
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Ditto....NYU has no space hence has to be satisfied with this type of courts :(
That's something special! I'd love to try. I always wondered what it would be like to play tennis on the indoor basketball courts. I used to think that's what "carpet" and indoor tennis tournaments were :o But I guess not :tape:

Kenny
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
It really teaches you to keep the racquet out in front of you... especially certain parts of you.

:lol::lol::lol:Wonder what those parts are.. :lol:

Mightymirza
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:18 AM
That's something special! I'd love to try. I always wondered what it would be like to play tennis on the indoor basketball courts. I used to think that's what "carpet" and indoor tennis tournaments were :o But I guess not :tape:
No these courts are sooooo fasttttttt...Its not the basketball stadium courts...that wooden floor just makes ball slow and low..But these multipurpose courts eat up all spins kinda..Both topspin as well as backspin.. Flat hitters do veryy well ..But the best suited this surface is for serve and volley...Even if u hav a decent serve it just goes with lighening speed...

TF Chipmunk
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM
No these courts are sooooo fasttttttt...Its not the basketball stadium courts...that wooden floor just makes ball slow and low..But these multipurpose courts eat up all spins kinda..Both topspin as well as backspin.. Flat hitters do veryy well ..But the best suited this surface is for serve and volley...Even if u hav a decent serve it just goes with lighening speed...Well that does sound a bit boring if you're on the receiving end of all the punishment :o but I like the idea of playing indoors though. I mean, I've played on outdoor hardcourts all my life :o Anything different (clay, grass, BASKETBALL COURT) would be a nice change for me!

Mightymirza
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Well that does sound a bit boring if you're on the receiving end of all the punishment :o but I like the idea of playing indoors though. I mean, I've played on outdoor hardcourts all my life :o Anything different (clay, grass, BASKETBALL COURT) would be a nice change for me!
Well but u no but if u hav good reflexes u can smack down winners n these courts..Even on good serves..Plus you dont have to do much effort...take ball on riseand use the pace of the ball and it works wonderssss...

Mana
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah, no time for a backswing, your just jabbing at the ball. I found today that when I went back to rebound ace, my timing was sooo off because I was just jabbing at everything.

Sorry about the pics guys, my comp is being a bitch.....it keeps saying "file not found":o:o:mad:

Gowza
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yeah, no time for a backswing, your just jabbing at the ball. I found today that when I went back to rebound ace, my timing was sooo off because I was just jabbing at everything.

Sorry about the pics guys, my comp is being a bitch.....it keeps saying "file not found":o:o:mad:

i guess i'd do pretty decent on that sort of court then, especially on my backhand, apparently i have near to no backswing on it, but i get decent power of it (never seen myself on video or anything so can't really judge too much for myself, just an observation i've been told quite often by others i've played).