PDA

View Full Version : A Fit Navratilova Makes Plans for Wimbledon

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:14 AM
BIRMINGHAM, England (June 13) - Martina Navratilova says she will play at Wimbledon despite her last-minute withdrawal from a warmup tournament.

"I'll be good for Wimbledon, 100 percent," Navratilova said Tuesday. "I'm sure I'll be 100 percent and ready to go."

Navratilova, a nine-time singles champion at Wimbledon, plans to play doubles and mixed doubles at the Grand Slam tournament, which opens June 26.

The 49-year-old Navratilova had planned to play doubles at this week's DFS Classic grass-court tournament but pulled out because of swelling in her right knee. It was heavily wrapped as she spoke to reporters on Tuesday.

"It doesn't hurt, and there's nothing wrong with it," Navratilova said. "The MRI scan shows that, and I have to stop the swelling, that's all. It's just my body's way of saying 'Time's up."'

Asked whether she planned to retire, she said: "I used to tell, and I got into trouble for it, so I don't say it now."

In 2003, the Czech-born American became the oldest Grand Slam champion at age 46, winning the Wimbledon mixed doubles title with Leander Paes.

Navratilova might not be surprised if someone older took home a trophy from Wimbledon in the near future.

"Forty is the new 30 and I am a bit beyond that," she said. "I am a pioneer, and I think many great players will play to a great age in future."

Also withdrawing from the DFS Classic were Daniela Hantuchova (wrist) and Alicia Molik (neck).

*roddicksinme*
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:16 AM
as long as she isnt taking a singles spot, good luck :)

SM
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM
who not singles?
she can beat people like Nicole pratt for instance

bello
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:08 AM
True she could beat Pratt!

Lets hope she is right in saying that many more players will play to a late age..(meaning there is time for a JenCap comenback!!)