PDA

View Full Version : Who is Lindsay's greatest ever rival?

liuxuan
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Who of these girls will Lindsay look back on as being her most epic rivalry?

NB: im not suggesting that Lindsay is over, i really hope shes not+wish her all the best for the rest of the year.

vwfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Venus beat her in three finals. She would have three other slams had Venus not been on the other side of the net. Venus is 3-0 against Linds in GS finals.

Hardiansf
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Hingis is more like her best friend rather than her (true) rival.
So I pick Venus as her rival, especially at Slams

Pheobo
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:06 AM
I think both players are rivals to Linds, but I've always thought her matches with Venus have been more exciting.

Although, I have to admit, Venus has been so huge on the tour that whenever anybody beats her it's pretty exciting, mostly because of the hype that everybody puts on the WS.

franny
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Hingis. Venus and Davenport's rivalry has always been very one-sided. First Davenport won like 8 of the first 9 or 10, then Venus won a whole bunch, and then Davenport won a few,and then Venus won Wimbledon, their one really good Grand slam final match. I mean, Hingis and Davenport didn't play great slam finals either, but they've had many memorable finals match-ups and they were number 1 and 2 for the longest time. I'd say Hingis-Davy.

Martian Stacey
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM
What is the head-to-head record for Venus and Lindsay? I'm too lazy to go check myself :p

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
It is CLEARLY a three way rivalry. This question cannot be answered.

SF

Derek.
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:26 AM
:shrug:

LoveFifteen
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:46 AM
It is CLEARLY a three way rivalry. This question cannot be answered.

SF

A three-way ... hottt :angel:

Pheobo
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:46 AM
What is the head-to-head record for Venus and Lindsay? I'm too lazy to go check myself :p

14-13 Davenport.

MH0861
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Venus. She always played spoiler in the slam finals, while Linds always beat Martina.

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:20 AM
three ways rock!

But not ones that include Davenport...sorry Linds...luv ya...but not like that.

SF

Martian Stacey
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:48 AM
14-13 Davenport.

Personally, i think Lindsay has a great rivalry with both players, its too hard to choose between them.

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Davenport and Montolio had a great rivalry i think (if they ever played)

1handedwonder
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM
lindsay practically said at wimbledon that venus was her greatest rival

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Gotta be Hingis.

selyoink
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:37 AM
I'd say Hingis because as franny said the Davenport/Venus rivalry was always one-sided. One player dominated the rivalry for a while and the other took control.

hingisGOAT
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM
i dunno. martina and lindsay have played lots of fantastic matches, whereas lindsay and venus have only played a few truly great ones. but venus' edge in slam finals might make her the biggest rival in lindsays mind

depends what you mean by 'greatest' i guess

Drake1980
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Martina

RJWCapriati
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Venus

The Daviator
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Venus, really they are both great rivals of Lindsay, as the poll reflects, but I think they push each other more than Martina-Lindsay...

lindsayno1
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Vee - lindsay for sure!

mike/topgun
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
three-way rivalry:p
they've all had great rivalries with eachother between 1997-2001
in GS it's Venus for sure
in regular tour events it's Martina
the better quality of matches rivalry - Lindsay Vs Martina

TomTennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Venus I would say.

It is close because Hingis and Davenport were jockeying 1 and 2 in the rankings for ages, but Venus has always been that extra person that took the trophy in the end sometimes.

They are both great rivals, but Venus edges Hingis.

Lin Lin
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM
why isn't serena??????????

TomTennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Because Davenport and Serena havent played that many times against each other in comparision to Hingis/Davenport and Venus/Davenport :wavey:

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I remember that Conchita and AVSSSV used to beat her often... :tape: Not on her best days of course! :p

Lindsay :hug:

shirley
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
martina

Marcus1979
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:04 PM

The H2H with Serena is also very lopsided compared to Venus also

Davenport-Venus is 14-13
Davenport-Serena is 4-10

Marcus1979
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I remember that Conchita and AVSSSV used to beat her often... :tape: Not on her best days of course! :p

Lindsay :hug:

Vs Conchita is 9-9

Vs ASV is 5-7

spencercarlos
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Venus beat her in three finals. She would have three other slams had Venus not been on the other side of the net. Venus is 3-0 against Linds in GS finals.
Rival? Serena
Rivary? Hingis/Davenport produced great battles and the contrasting styles made of it great matches to watch.

The Hingis/Davenport matches produced only 10 straight sets matches and 15 at least three set battles. (Did not count the 2-1 match at Filderstat for obvious reasons).
Davenport/Venus, a close second, but i think some of the Venus Davenport matches were boring, an unforced error shutout sometimes. And 16 of their matches were two set matches, and only 11 three set matches the opossite compared to the Hingis/Davenport ones.

alfajeffster
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'd say either her seamstress or her sneaker manufacturer.

The Daviator
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Vs Conchita is 9-9

Vs ASV is 5-7

Linds actually leads Conchita 9-8 ;)

At one point it was 7-2 Conchita :eek:

TheAllan
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Lindsay has had far more big clashes with Venus than with Hingis. Last year's Wimbledon final the most recent example.

Lindsay and Martina have met less than a handful of times in Slams. And one of them was 1995 when Hingis was 14. In contrast, Lindsay has run into Venus again and again in Wimbledon and the US Open, the two Slams that are undoubtedly the most important to her.

Lindsay vs. Hingis was fun the short time it lasted, but it was more a points race than anything. Venus dealt serious blows to Lindsay's Slam tally. If Serena hadn't come along as well, she could conceivably be in double-digits by now.

KBdoubleu
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Because Davenport and Serena havent played that many times against each other in comparision to Hingis/Davenport and Venus/Davenport :wavey:

Serena also has a very large lead in their match ups, so its hard for there to be a true rivalry when one person primarily wins.

No.1Hingis
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Well.. I say Martina.. cause I can only remember that matches since year.. I couldnt remember I watched a Venus - Lindsay match.. theres have to be a reason maybe the thing of GS is it...

spencercarlos
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Lindsay has had far more big clashes with Venus than with Hingis. Last year's Wimbledon final the most recent example.

Lindsay and Martina have met less than a handful of times in Slams. And one of them was 1995 when Hingis was 14. In contrast, Lindsay has run into Venus again and again in Wimbledon and the US Open, the two Slams that are undoubtedly the most important to her.

Lindsay vs. Hingis was fun the short time it lasted, but it was more a points race than anything. Venus dealt serious blows to Lindsay's Slam tally. If Serena hadn't come along as well, she could conceivably be in double-digits by now.
Quantity or quality, sure Venus/Davenport met more time in GS, that is not the question of this thread.
But the numbers show which one produced more tight three set matches, the number are "almost" exactly the opossite.
Plus the Hingis-Davenport rivary was not short at all, and they faced pretty much every year they played since 1996, with 2002 missing with their injuries mostly.

Kart
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Definitely Martina - there has always seemed to be a healthy, friendly respect between the two for each others' games.

It's been there with Venus as well but less evident in the earlier years of their meetings than it is now.

TheAllan
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Quantity or quality, sure Venus/Davenport met more time in GS, that is not the question of this thread.
But the numbers show which one produced more tight three set matches, the number are "almost" exactly the opossite.
Plus the Hingis-Davenport rivary was not short at all, and they faced pretty much every year they played since 1996, with 2002 missing with their injuries mostly.
We are looking in different places - and finding very different things. For me, the overwhelming focus is on the Grand Slams, and not how many three-setters they played against each other in Tier I and II's. That's not where history is made, or great rivalries are born and nurtured. I believe the players share that sentiment. In three words: Slams are everything.

Also, three sets are not necessarily a measurement of quality or excitement. A two-setter can easily have more of both. But you're absolutely right that Lindsay and Hingis had many fine three-setters and, for the record, I personally enjoyed their matches. 3 out of 4 did not go the distance at the Slams, however - the one exception was 1995.

For comparison, Venus and Davenport had three of their Wimbledon meetings extended to a third set. The two first times may have been forgettable matches, but I don't think last year's final falls under that category.