PDA

View Full Version : Black Country singers

smarties
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I was just ruminating about this and that and I came with the observation that I 've never seen or heard a black country singer :confused: :eek:

I was thinking it's kind of weird since almost every kind of music we hear today (except maybe ''Industrial german techno-punk'' :lol: ) is rooted or if you prefer, takes it's source from music created by black people. And Country music is no exception.

So why no black country singers :shrug: The geographical theory can go to the can cause it's not like they ain't no brown people (as Oprah would say) in Nashville, the hotbed of country, or any other southern states were this music is most popular. Would somebody please light my lantern :confused:

Tennis Fool
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:42 AM
One very legendary black country singer: Charley Pride :D

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Not out style...our past musically is centered around intense drum beats(african), extended solo's (gospel) spirituals (from the past), Jazz, that turned into R&B/soul, and now Hip Hop and Rap. I think the only country artist we have is cowboy troy...*wack* but the country fans love him...but most blacks see him as a joke...he fine as hell thats about it...

Cowboytroy.com
*see for your self...his music is "Hick Hop" rather than "Hip Hop" ...just cant mix the 2 ...im sorry...

Carolina Girl
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Cowboy Troy ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Troy

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Ray charles.

The problem is that people want to stereotype and pigeon hole black people. Black people invented Jazz and rock and roll and the blues and we sing country too.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:38 AM
There's a women who was on "Starting Over" who is a country artist. I forgot her name though. There are some artists that dwelve into a folk/country sound. Tracy Chapman is one. Nya Jade is another artist.

Couver
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM
There's a women who was on "Starting Over" who is a country artist. I forgot her name though. There are some artists that dwelve into a folk/country sound. Tracy Chapman is one. Nya Jade is another artist.

Audrey. She was half German though I believe. Her song lyrics were also really corny.

smarties
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:42 AM
One very legendary black country singer: Charley Pride :D

One and only I know off...

Not out style...our past musically is centered around intense drum beats(african), extended solo's (gospel) spirituals (from the past), Jazz, that turned into R&B/soul, and now Hip Hop and Rap.

Well Country is rooted in folk music and spiritual as well as blues :tape:

As for Cowboy Troy... :rolleyes:

PointBlank
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Cowboy Troy.

But he was a big one hit wonder. If you can consider that a hit?

RVD
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Not out style...our past musically is centered around intense drum beats(african), extended solo's (gospel) spirituals (from the past), Jazz, that turned into R&B/soul, and now Hip Hop and Rap. I think the only country artist we have is cowboy troy...*wack* but the country fans love him...but most blacks see him as a joke...he fine as hell thats about it...

Cowboytroy.com
*see for your self...his music is "Hick Hop" rather than "Hip Hop" ...just cant mix the 2 ...im sorry...Are. You. Kidding. Me?! :tape: :haha: Dayem!

DemWilliamsGulls
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Are. You. Kidding. Me?! :tape: :haha: Dayem!

see what im talkin bout lol...we see him as pure comedy...

Barrie_Dude
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:23 AM
The Blind Boys of Alabama are close. Then there is a bluegrass group that was featured on "O Brother, Where Art Thou" that I think was black. But they are certainly out there!

ico4498
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
modern country music is white folks having a go at soul.

Jakeev
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Charley Pride outside perhaps Deford Bailey is the most famed Black country singer.

But even Charley faced the usual racial crap. I don't think he even make a member of the Grand Ol Opry until 1993.

controlfreak
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM
almost every kind of music we hear today (except maybe ''Industrial german techno-punk'' :lol: ) is rooted or if you prefer, takes it's source from music created by black people.

what about classical music?

smarties
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM
what about classical music?

I said almost :angel:

Barrie_Dude
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
One and only I know off...

Well Country is rooted in folk music and spiritual as well as blues :tape:

As for Cowboy Troy... :rolleyes:Actually, it is rooted in Irish and Scottish folk music and may have been somewhat influenced by blues! But it is most definitly rooted in Irish and Scottish folk music.

smarties
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Actually, it is rooted in Irish and Scottish folk music and may have been somewhat influenced by blues! But it is most definitly rooted in Irish and Scottish folk music.

Well celtic influences are present but to say that they are the main influences is wrong!!!; check wikipedia dude.

Barrie_Dude
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Well celtic influences are present but to say that they are the main influences is wrong!!!; check wikipedia dude.I grew up in the South! I know what is happening there musicwise my friend! Bluegrass was born from the Irish/Scottish folk songs of the early settlers in the Applacians and surrounding areas. Country was born from that. Southern Gospel is the type that is born from the celtic/Bluegrass/Country/Soul rendetions.

smarties
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:22 AM
I grew up in the South! I know what is happening there musicwise my friend! Bluegrass was born from the Irish/Scottish folk songs of the early settlers in the Applacians and surrounding areas. Country was born from that. Southern Gospel is the type that is born from the celtic/Bluegrass/Country/Soul rendetions.

Barrie dude ''who grew up in the south'' vs Historians ...hummm... verry tough choice isn't... I think I'll go with what the books say...

Barrie_Dude
Jun 17th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Barrie dude ''who grew up in the south'' vs Historians ...hummm... verry tough choice isn't... I think I'll go with what the books say...Thats your problem! :haha: If you learn only from books, you'll likely learn nothing of value!:lol: