PDA

View Full Version : Very low rating for French Open women's final

Bijoux0021
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
PARIS (AP) - The French Open women's final between Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium and Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia drew a 1.7 overnight rating and 5 share on NBC.

That was down from a 1.9 rating and 6 share in 2005, when Henin-Hardenne beat Mary Pierce of France. But it was the same as in 2004, when Anastasia Myskina defeated Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian final.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.
--------------------------------------------------------

As expected, any final with no Williams is a rating disaster for TV producers and sponsors.

Dana Marcy
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
PARIS (AP) - The French Open women's final between Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium and Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia drew a 1.7 overnight rating and 5 share on NBC.

That was down from a 1.9 rating and 6 share in 2005, when Henin-Hardenne beat Mary Pierce of France. But it was the same as in 2004, when Anastasia Myskina defeated Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian final.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

As expected, any final with no Williams is a rating disaster for TV producers and sponsors.

In the USA. I'm sure the ratings were good everywhere else. :)

Justeenium
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM
how many previous usernames have you had bijoux?

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM

considering the world cup was on as well they probably weren't that great.

I was in a pub with about 10 flat screens when it was on and not one of them was showing the tennis - they were all showing the most boring 90 minutes of sport ever - England versus Paraguay - thankfully one of them was showing the South Africa versus Scotland rugby game although that was quite bad as well.

Still think the tennis was not much more interesting :o

New Zealand versus Ireland in the rugby was real sport :bounce:

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:29 AM

considering the world cup was on as well they probably weren't that great.

I was in a pub with about 10 flat screens when it was on and not one of them was showing the tennis - they were all showing the most boring 90 minutes of sport ever - England versus Paraguay - thankfully one of them was showing the South Africa versus Scotland rugby game although that was quite bad as well.

Still think the tennis was not much more interesting :o

New Zealand versus Ireland in the rugby was real sport that day :bounce:

Bijoux0021
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:41 AM
how many previous usernames have you had bijoux?

"Bijoux0021," is the only one.

tennisboi
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'm not shocked

Callystarr
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Thats no surprise, no Americans or "Big names in America" were playing. Justine Henin, quite frankly although she has won 5 majors....quietly wins them. Kuznetsova..who is she? lol....yeah she won the US Open, but she will probably never win another slam..

MH0861
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:58 AM
This is like the third time this has been posted.

AyumiMorita
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
more people would watch pierce but ratings would be better if williams or capriati played in the final
and sharapova

Kenny
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I know I didn't watch it. No interest whatsoever. I wanted Sveta to win, but I sure didn't want to see Justine at all that day.

anlavalle
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
more people would watch pierce but ratings would be better if williams or capriati played in the final
and sharapova

in the current form of Capriati and Serena i doubt it

VeeReeDavJCap81
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
in the current form of Capriati and Serena i doubt it

Obviously if they were good enough to get to the final, they would've had to be in some kind of good form :rolleyes:

Nicbob
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Im not suprised, no american player was part of it, and if you look at the last 4 years of finals for the women there hasnt been a decent match:

2005- Henin def. Pierce 61 61
2004-Myskina def. Dementieva 61 62
2003-Henin def. Clisters 60 63

you havent been missing much in these matches thats for sure

WorldWar24
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:28 AM
oh no!

so who gives a shit

Berlin_Calling
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:37 AM
mary pierce is a household name so more people would tune in. svetlana is pretty scary looking, and that would probably turn non-tennis fans off from watching the final.

Rtael
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:27 AM
I know I didn't watch it. No interest whatsoever. I wanted Sveta to win, but I sure didn't want to see Justine at all that day.

Keep not watching and pretty soon there will be no tennis on at all. :wavey:

Effy
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM

oh god, but in 2005 RG final was so booooooring :yawn: Mary couldn't do anything :tape:

TonyP
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:52 PM
There are a lot of factors influencing the poor ratings, including the fact that on the West Coast, this final aired at 6 AM. Not everyone is willing to roll out at 6 AM on a Saturday morning to watch a tennis match.

I think there are a couple of problems with American ratings, though.

First, Americans are notoriously disinterested in anyone who is not an American.

Second, like it or not, there is the attractiveness, charisma/ glamour factor in women's tennis and neither Henin-Hardenne nor Kuznetsova has this factor in any way shape or form.

Third, as others have noted, most women's finals in the last couple of years have been real duds. With the exception of last year's Wimbledon final, there has been so little fight in most women's finals that they have been a virtual embarrassment. In this Roland Garros final, remember, one of the participants was the girl who threw in the towel at the beginning of the second set in the Australian Open final, forever tarnishing her own image in lots of people's minds.

And interestingly enough, there are times I think Justine herself must be the luckiest player in tennis history, having played more slam finals against opponents who completely whimped out than any player I can think of. I was up anyway, which is the only reason I tuned in to the final, because I pretty much assumed Svetlana would fold like a wet rag. While it wasn't that bad, watching her commit 38 unforced errors in two sets of tennis was anything but pretty.

It was not a well played match, nor have been most women's finals in the last few years.

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
And interestingly enough, there are times I think Justine herself must be the luckiest player in tennis history, having played more slam finals against opponents who completely whimped out than any player I can think of.

:tape: You are opening a can of worms here. But I agree that her opponents didn't really bring it...

Chrissie-fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
It's the French Open final. If you have the opportunity, you watch it, no matter who plays. There's no excuse for NOT watching it if you want to call yourself a tennis fan.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'm glad the US ratings are going down.
Let US girls keep playing basketball and softball, where there's no money in pro leagues.

The Russian girls will take their millions in tennis.

selesfan1
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Let US girls keep playing basketball and softball, where there's no money in pro leagues.

Well, there is the WNBA

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM

:haha: :spit:

Volcana
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM
In the USA. I'm sure the ratings were good everywhere else. :)I'm not at all sure of that. I'm not sure that ratings were high in France.

a) World Cup
b) No Frenchwoman in final

As for ratings in Russia, Kuznetsova is not one of their Fed Cup heroines, nor one of the more glamorous players.

Perhaps someone will do us all a favor, and post the TV ratings from elsewhere in the world. However, outside of Belgium, there's every chance this match had quite poor ratings. But I'd rather see the numbers than speculate.

bis2806
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM
"overnight ratings"? Err... I don't think this match was shown on a re-tape but only during that one live coverage in the morning.

No.1Hingis
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well.. even England -Paraguay was a bad match.. there was goal.. 6 to be exact.. I follow that bored match over the women final.. I could consider it much bored as .. "football match that was incredible for me, but.. uhm!" .. I changed just to check the scores in the end of each set.. Here.. well cant imagen the rainting in ESPN2 Latin had to be awful..

vwfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:49 PM
bien sur!