PDA

View Full Version : Is Martina Navratilova Playing Singles @ Wimbledon 2006?

pierce0415
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
anybody know?
seems that if she were to play, she would have to take the last WC since Radwanska got one :unsure:

tennisbuddy12
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
An article on Yahoo! sadi that she plans to play doubles and mixed. She also w.d from Birmingham b/c of her knee but scans showed no signs of trouble. She should be ready to go at Wimbledon.

Scotso
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
the last one is for the winner of the playoffs, no?

MLF
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Martina won't be playing singles. The wild cards have gone to Anne Keothavong, Katie O'Brien, Sarah Borwell, Melanie South, Alicia Molik & Agnieszka Radwanska so far, leaving one for the paly off winner and one more to be announced.

pcrtennis
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks God she won't...it was just a distracting spectacle last time she did it.

A'DAM
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I'v seen her live in Den Bosch against Schaul in singles an sorry but it was pathetic :retard:
Serve and volley but volley was somewhere around service line becouse she was so slow in her run to the net... :o

Carmen Mairena
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks God she won't...it was just a distracting spectacle last time she did it.

:retard:

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM
:retard:

my thoughts exactly... :wavey:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM

You should just never POST...EVER !!!

VeeDaQueen
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
why are people getting offended? you're only in denial if you think a 50 year old woman can still have success in singles :lol: she is just too old to be as good as she was.

tenn_ace
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
why are people getting offended? you're only in denial if you think a 50 year old woman can still have success in singles :lol: she is just too old to be as good as she was.

well, you are only in denial if you think that about 80 other players in the main draw can have a success... yet nobody posts that "it is just a distracting spectacle last time" when they play

pcrtennis
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
You should just never POST...EVER !!!

Not everyone has to love every American player to ever play the game in history...

I think it's simply a spectacle...she always loses and it takes away from a player who could have a chance to play at Wimbledon and hopefully get experience and confidence to build on. I think it's great that she's playing doubles because she can compete but singles competition for her is silly.

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Not everyone has to love every American player to ever play the game in history...

I think it's simply a spectacle...she always loses and it takes away from a player who could have a chance to play at Wimbledon and hopefully get experience and confidence to build on.

Oh, you mean like one of those fat brits with bad teeth whose only claim to fame in tennis was the semi's of a B draw in an obscure tournament in Camilla-land???

Talk about spectacle.

ZAK
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Navratilova won a match a tWImbledon, which is something most WCs do not d. I also really enjoy watching her oldschool game; very pleasing to watch

VeeDaQueen
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Navratilova won a match a tWImbledon, which is something most WCs do not d. I also really enjoy watching her oldschool game; very pleasing to watch

beating Castano on grass is not difficult. i'm sure Keothavong could have too

pcrtennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Oh, you mean like one of those fat brits with bad teeth whose only claim to fame in tennis was the semi's of a B draw in an obscure tournament in Camilla-land???

Talk about spectacle.

Ofcourse not all WCs do well...but that doesnt mean you should say oh screw those young British players...lets give a WC to a 50 year old who cannot compete in singles anymore...she lost all but like one match in her numerous tries last time...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Martina could beat about half of the girls in the MainDraw of this years Wimbledon if she had a good day..IMO :D :bounce:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:11 AM

This coming from a poster who has almost every asian player in his signature :spit: ... This thread is disrespectful ... :wavey:

pcrtennis
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
This coming from a poster who has almost every asian player in his signature :spit: ... This thread is disrespectful ... :wavey:

Nope not quite all of them!

VeeDaQueen
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:14 AM
blah blah blah. i'm tired of these over-emotional wtaworld posters! there's too much drama in real life, it's not needed on message boards :mad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:18 AM
blah blah blah. i'm tired of these over-emotional wtaworld posters! there's too much drama in real life, it's not needed on message boards :mad:

Well then don't be so emotional man...its just a game... :kiss: ... bye bye thread :wavey:

ZAK
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:24 AM

Thats true, but she didn't just beat Castano, she completed destroyed her. Plus she was close beating Dulko in the next round. I'm not saying that its great but its better than an average WC for sure

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:50 AM
i'd give her a pretty good shot of beating Patty. Although i'm quite sure i'd wipe Patty off the court on grass as well.

Scotso
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:25 AM

Yeah right, Keothavong couldn't beat Diaz-Oliva on grass.

Dunlop1
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I love Martina N's game. I wish there would be a prominent female serve & volleyer. Until then, I will watch Navrat till she stops playing.

LH2HBH
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I doubt but if she wanted to, she could!!!!! If she could only get a few more MPH on that serve she might even be able to threaten 2nd and 3rd round!

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Talk about spectacle.

What an idiotic post!!!

MH0861
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:52 AM
The spectators would LOVE it if she gave it another go. Besides, Castano is lurking somewhere in the draw!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I love Martina, but I'm opposed to her playing singles at Wimbledon because we all know it'd pretty much be a one-off. Martina is not going to play a full-time singles schedule again. Therefore, there's nothing that she can gain from playing singles at Wimbledon. As much as a lot of the British players don't deserve wildcards, they could badly use the money and potential ranking points for getting past the 1st round. Somebody like Martina has enough money for the rest of her life and the 36 ranking points she'd get for winning a round would do absolutely nothing because she wouldn't show up again until the next grass court season.

Now if she were playing 18 tournaments a year and just outside the cutoff point, I'd give her one in a second.

jamatthews
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thats true, but she didn't just beat Castano, she completed destroyed her. Plus she was close beating Dulko in the next round. I'm not saying that its great but its better than an average WC for sure

Also in 2004:

Keothavong def Dulko 3-6 6-2 7-5 ;)

That was also the year where 4 out of 7 of our MD WC's made the 2nd round. Anne got thrashed by Maria, but Elena's 6-4 6-4 against Capriati was respectable and I think Emily was close to beating Amy Frazier wasn't she?

DevilishAttitude
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I'd rather have Martina playing Wimbledon than some #400 ranked Brit winning 3 games against a consisent Top 100 player.

In Britain, Martina is still very well known and liked. Her matches at Wimbledon are always full on big courts and even the TV people are willing to show her doubles matches if there are no interesting singles players on.

Martina in singles wouldn't cause much damage in the draw, but the publicity would be excellent for the tournament.

I'm hoping Martina will take a wildcard. Even if she could barely walk, the crowds would be packed, she'd be heavily supported and she deserves it over ANY British player :)

DomenicDemaria
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I don't think Martina would play but she could beat a few players in the draw. She would beat any low ranked clay courter.