PDA

View Full Version : Maria on Nicole :)

bellascarlett
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
A blonde, six-foot star in the making, Vaidisova has inevitably earned plenty of comparisons with another Bolletieri graduate, Maria Sharapova, who won her Wimbledon title at the age of 17.

Having grown up just two years apart in Florida, the pair have become more than passing acquaintances and Sharapova believes Vaidisova has what it takes to emulate her Grand Slam-winning exploits.

"It's amazing what Nicole did in France and it's exiting to have a new generation coming up and someone as young as she is to be doing so well," said Sharapova.

"We have never practised or played a tournament together but we do bump each other at the academy sometimes. It is always nice to see someone from there doing so well."

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/06/06/13/TENNIS_Column.html

Maria, so generous with the nice words lately but then she's really always been like this and her comments against other players in general- even those who have not been so nice to her - have always shown her maturity. really nice to see. she plays the pr game quite well i might add too. ;)

funny how she talks about nicole as if she is way older than nicole.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
New generation? She's two years younger than you. I think Sharapova might have played a couple of players that Nicole will never play. Silvia Farina Ella comes to mind, maybe Paola Suarez and Maggie Maleeva as well. I don't really think that constitutes a generation gap.

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
:lol: at "new generation". WTF? Who does Maria think she is?

furrykitten
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
New generation? She's two years younger than you. I think Sharapova might have played a couple of players that Nicole will never play. Silvia Farina Ella comes to mind, maybe Paola Suarez and Maggie Maleeva as well. I don't really think that constitutes a generation gap.

Nice words from Maria, to Maria 2 years is a big difference, think back when you were at school/college, those 2 years were huge then!.

Dexter
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
:lol: at "new generation". WTF? Who does Maria think she is?exactly :haha:

faboozadoo15
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Nice words from Maria, to Maria 2 years is a big difference, think back when you were at school/college, those 2 years were huge then!.
and to maria, i guess she thinks she's been at the top of the game for as long as nicole has been on tour. that DOES somewhat constitute a generation gap.

i mean, sharapova had already WON amajor before nicole even played her first.

furrykitten
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
and to maria, i guess she thinks she's been at the top of the game for as long as nicole has been on tour. that DOES somewhat constitute a generation gap.

i mean, sharapova had already WON amajor before nicole even played her first.

Yep, but of course there will be those who want to bash Maria, for no real reason, but there you go. :rolleyes:

Derek.
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM
New generation? :lol:

Masha :smash:

GracefulVenus
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM
:lol: at "new generation". WTF? Who does Maria think she is?
C'mon give her a break......let's not forget she won Wimbledon and has an established career on the tour. I mean..........what WTA player wants to see M. Sharapova (4) next to their name in any draw. That's who she is. A little edgy, but she is allowed :wavey:

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
C'mon give her a break......let's not forget she won Wimbledon and has an established career on the tour. I mean..........what WTA player wants to see M. Sharapova (4) next to their name in any draw. That's who she is. A little edgy, but she is allowed :wavey:

I just find "someone as young as she is" comments weird coming from "someone as young" as Maria. :confused:

VeeDaQueen
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think she is saying that it's good that there are new players coming up, because Maria is the youngest top player right now. I think she is putting herself in that generation of players, and she's happy to see that there is now some competition for her in the future. That was my interpretation :shrug:

furrykitten
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I think she is saying that it's good that there are new players coming up, because Maria is the youngest top player right now. I think she is putting herself in that generation of players, and she's happy to see that there is now some competition for her in the future. That was my interpretation :shrug:

Some of the Top 10 aren't getting any younger so its cool to see top talent like Nicole coming through:)

skanky~skanketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
seriously stop bashing. nicole IS another generation. i mean, u dont put kuznetsova and maria is the "same generation" category and sveta is only a year older.

Talita Kumi
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Nicole is so talent and brave :worship:

FedExpress
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM
]Nice words from Maria, to Maria 2 years is a big difference, think back when you were at school/college, those 2 years were huge then!.

I like(d) the old Maria who was joking on Center Court in Wimbledon and tried to call her mum :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM
seriously stop bashing. nicole IS another generation. i mean, u dont put kuznetsova and maria is the "same generation" category and sveta is only a year older.
Umm. Kuznetsova and Maria have played the same people through their careers. They won slams months after each other. Can you explain to me why they aren't the same generation again? Lindsay and Martina are apart of the same generation even with the 5 year age difference. I really don't see why Nicole is not part of Maria's generation. Maria is going to be competing with Nicole for slams for likely the next decade.

Direwolf
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I think that though Maria is young...she would be considered as in the same generation with Kuznetsova...I think...its really confusing...
and.. which generation does Serena and Jennifer belong to??

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM
I do put Svets and Masha in the same Generation i would put 1985- 1988/9 as the same tennis generation, i see a tennis generation as about 5 years. So i would consider Svets, Masha and Nicole as all part of the same generation as they wil all be the ones now, in 5 year and maybe even 10 year competing for the titles and as the top player.

Dan23
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Sounds fair to me, shes only complimenting. There mightnt strictly be a generation gap but theres enough experience difference to say it loosely.

New generation? :lol:

Masha :smash::retard: :p

Derek.
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Sounds fair to me, shes only complimenting. There mightnt strictly be a generation gap but theres enough experience difference to say it loosely.

:retard: :p

Dan23 --> :smash: <-- Jedem

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Really nice words from Masha

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
:worship:

UDACHi
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:54 AM
She fucking complimented her. :lol:

WorldWar24
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I'm disappointed. I thought the wtaworld rottweilers would obliterate her after these comments. I mean, she said something nice about another player, there has to be some subtle, dark meaning to it.

Come on, use your creativity: there has to be something that can twist Maria's words and make her look like Hitler. Don't give up! lol

hingisGOAT
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:37 AM
are you people kidding me, arguing over her use of the word 'generation'

almost all the top players are in their 20s, she was just saying she is happy that a good younger player (other than her) is emerging

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM
WTF are people overreacting at reaction to her use of "new generation"? It's strange coming from Maria, that's all.

hingisGOAT
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM
what makes people think she isn't including herself in this 'new generation'? she's still the newest top player out there

Tennisation
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:17 AM
im confused, did maria compliment Nicole or herself?

madame_maria
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
it's strange coming from her yea perhaps but why the hell do people bash her about ... i dunno. using the wrong phrase?

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:23 AM
I do put Svets and Masha in the same Generation i would put 1985- 1988/9 as the same tennis generation, i see a tennis generation as about 5 years. So i would consider Svets, Masha and Nicole as all part of the same generation as they wil all be the ones now, in 5 year and maybe even 10 year competing for the titles and as the top player.
There's no bashing. This is a comment coming from a Maria fan. It just seems to be a weird comment but noone is calling Maria any names because of it.

Dan23
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM
im confused, did maria compliment Nicole or herself?
are you easily confused? ;)

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Maria, so generous with the nice words lately but then she's really always been like this and her comments against other players in general- even those who have not been so nice to her - have always shown her maturity. really nice to see. She plays the pr game quite well i might add too. ;)

hmmm. doesn't the start and end of that paragraph kind of clash.

meh who cares. keep being nice in press conferences Maria :bounce:

Kunal
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:41 AM
yea maria must have been high when she was talkin bout this 'new generation'

you are jus 2 yrs older than her girl

bello
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:31 AM
she ios probably including herself in the new generation..it is worded specifically enough to really tell

ceiling_fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:38 AM
new generation. ㅣ0ㅣ

WC6320
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
man, she just complimented someone, stop looking at the bad side of things!! Give her a break!

Slumpsova
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM
oh Maria, being a slam winner and former #1 doesn't mean you are in the old generation :o but i wouldn't be surprised if she calls Amelie the next generation though :lol:

Slumpsova
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I like(d) the old Maria who was joking on Center Court in Wimbledon and tried to call her mum :)

me too :tape:

Prizeidiot
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I was kind of hoping for something more literal when I saw the title.. :p

Miranda
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
i don't like maria's on court behaviour, but i think she is always very complimentary on other players, never see her bad mouthing others, far more mature than her young age :worship:

Dasha_
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Nikki is new generation. She and Maria are not the same. I mean, Nikki won 5 titles untill she turned 17. That is the other generation.

UDACHi
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I was kind of hoping for something more literal when I saw the title.. :p

:spit: *death*

Kworb
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think when she talks about a "new generation coming up" she means herself too

Natasc
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
for real guys
Nadal and Gael have the same age, but that means that they are from same generation??? NO
Nadal started a lot sooner than Gael, thats make of them both different generations

Just like Nic and Masha
have about the same age but Maria started before in WTA

just try to look for those 4
Nadal - Maria Gael - Nicole
U can clearly see that they have mostly difference of maturity
that is something that u acquires with the time in the circuit

so yeah, they are from different generations
but of course.....that's just one more thing for u complain about Maria...

Kart
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
New generation? She's two years younger than you. I don't really think that constitutes a generation gap.

I consider Maria and Nicole to be of the same generation but two years is a long time in tennis - this time two years ago, Maria was just some overhyped youngster, a month later she was a grand slam winner.

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
but of course.....that's just one more thing for u complain about Maria...

No, one more thing to complain about is some of her fans who seem to think anything said about her is a criticism or a complaint. :confused:

Anyway, I get what she was talking about. It was a little strange to have read at first though.

bellascarlett
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Nikki is new generation. She and Maria are not the same. I mean, Nikki won 5 titles untill she turned 17. That is the other generation.

:scratch: so? who else do you put in Nicole's generation then? did they also win several titles before they turned 17...?...:confused: