PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davenport did not refuse to speak after the 2005 Wimbledon final

LoveFifteen
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I've read this misinformation in many threads since the final last year: "Lindsay Davenport refused to speak to the crowd after the Wimbledon final (because she's an ungracious loser)."

This is simply untrue. The women's final was the longest Wimbledon final in history. It had already gone over the TV time allotted to it. Sue Barker only interviewed Venus, and she never even went over to Lindsay to interview her. Lindsay wasn't even given the opportunity to speak to the crowd because there wasn't time.

It's completely unfair and wrong to slander Lindsay like this.

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Well, maybe Venus can beat her quicker in the Final this year.

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Thank you LoveFifteen! :worship:

The BBC wanted to keep the presentation as short as possible because they wanted to get over to 'Live 8', which was going on in London at the time, as quick as possible...

Some have said that Sue saw how upset Linds was and didn't speak to her as a result, but in any case, Lindsay DID NOT refuse to speak, and she had great things to say about Venus afterwards, so please don't deflect Venus' OTT reaction (not that I think it was btw) onto Lindsay and her supposed 'refusal' to speak :o

LoveFifteen
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I think it's okay that Venus celebrated the way she did. She had just won a Slam after being written off for years. I just get sick of people making up lies about Davenport and slandering her character.

hingis-seles
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I read here that she refused to speak, so I guess it's nice to know what actually happened. I didn't think badly of her when I read how disappointed she was after losing that final. She's only human. It would have been perfectly understandable. Anyhow, thanks for clarifying.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
You know some people are going to see what they want to see. It looks like a group of fans see Lindsay as this rude player even when she continues to give Venus credit for winning that slam. Yes she cried for a week afterwards. She might still be crying since the injury she had at last year's Wimbledon is related to the one that might keep her out of Wimbledon this year. There's no sympathy for Lindsay though. She was already K.O. by Venus. Venus then stomped the loss in Lindsay's face a little more with her antics. To lie about Lindsay or start rumors about what happened at Wimbledon when Lindsay responded about the finals hours later on BBC when she was given the chance is cowardly and cold-hearted. What can i expect from some fans on here though. You'd say anything to make your player look better.

tennisboi
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
You know some people are going to see what they want to see. It looks like a group of fans see Lindsay as this rude player even when she continues to give Venus credit for winning that slam. Yes she cried for a week afterwards. She might still be crying since the injury she has now is related to the one that might keep her out of Wimbledon this year. There's no sympathy for Lindsay though. She was already K.O. by Venus. Venus then stomped the loss in Lindsay's face a little more with her antics. To lie about Lindsay or start rumors about what happened at Wimbledon when Lindsay responded about the finals hours later on BBC when she was given the chance is cowardly and cold-hearted. What can i expect from some fans on here though. You'd say anything to make your player look better.

This is an amazing post :worship: Lindsay gave Venus a hug at the net and afterwards in the BBC interview,which some of you obviously didn't see, she gave Venus loads of credit. Lindsay and her fans have nothing to fell bad about infact we were very proud of her that day

GermanBoy
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Who said that about Lindsay? :eek: :confused: I don't know her personally but she seems to be one of the nicest and most approachable people on the tour. I would have never believed these rumours....

LoveFifteen
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Who said that about Lindsay? :eek: :confused: I don't know her personally but she seems to be one of the nicest and most approachable people on the tour. I would have never believed these rumours....

Well, this is something I read in many threads after the Wimbledon final. It's also something that I read today in a new thread that ended up getting locked. I watched the entire Wimbledon final, and I was always baffled when people would write that Lindsay refused to speak. I was like, "Um, did they watch the final, or just read about it?"

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Just a few ignorant individuals :)

griffin
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I think someone WAS rude - but it was Barker and the BBC for not letting Lindsay speak.

The program ran over? pft, yeah - because Venus and Lindsay put on a great match. They were already in overtime, 2 more minutes wouldn't have killed them (it's not like the runner-up was Mary "oh, and thanks to the guy who strings my raquet, uh, and the kid who made my coffee this morning - just the right amount of milk! - and...who am I forgetting?...." Pierce :lol: )

Let Venus dance for joy, and let both women have their say.

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I think someone WAS rude - but it was Barker and the BBC for not letting Lindsay speak.

The program ran over? pft, yeah - because Venus and Lindsay put on a great match. They were already in overtime, 2 more minutes wouldn't have killed them (it's not like the runner-up was Mary "oh, and thanks to the guy who strings my raquet, uh, and the kid who made my coffee this morning - just the right amount of milk! - and...who am I forgetting?...." Pierce :lol: )

Let Venus dance for joy, and let both women have their say.

:worship:

Martian Willow
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM

Rocketta. :)

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I've read this misinformation in many threads since the final last year: "Lindsay Davenport refused to speak to the crowd after the Wimbledon final (because she's an ungracious loser)."

This is simply untrue. The women's final was the longest Wimbledon final in history. It had already gone over the TV time allotted to it. Sue Barker only interviewed Venus, and she never even went over to Lindsay to interview her. Lindsay wasn't even given the opportunity to speak to the crowd because there wasn't time.

It's completely unfair and wrong to slander Lindsay like this.

It was Rocketta, who never tells a lie ;)

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8295728&postcount=3

TomTennis
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
:confused: I read loads of threads after Wimbledon, but never read anything about Lindsay not speaking because she is an ungracious loser!?

Of course she is not. Yes the BBC were really pressed for time and wanted to get to the news and then Live 8. That was the main reason.

I think a sub-reason was that it was obvious Lindsay was really upset after the match. Maybe she did the right thing. Even when Sue said to Venus "is there something you want to say to Lindsay about....." and Lindsay started to get upset even on that note, so speaking directly to her might have been a bad idea.

vwfan
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:28 PM

It's completely unfair and wrong to slander Lindsay like this.Wow, glad you have the inside scoop! ;) But on the broadcast I saw, they waited while Venus did her victory loop and even caught a glimpse at Lindsay's irritation at having to wait through it all. The commentators remarked about how Lindsay had to endure this the way Chris Evert did on many an ocassion when she lost to her!

Lindsay is one of my fav, so I feel for her in this loss but I suspect they did it more out of respect for Lindsay than a concern for going over.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Wow, glad you have the inside scoop! ;) But on the broadcast I saw, they waited while Venus did her victory loop and even caught a glimpse at Lindsay's irritation at having to wait through it all. The commentators remarked about how Lindsay had to endure this the way Chris Evert did on many an ocassion when she lost to her!

Lindsay is one of my fav, so I feel for her in this loss but I suspect they did it more out of respect for Lindsay than a concern for going over.
I don't recall it being an inside scoop. There was a thread on here of Lindsay commenting on BBC for people to see hours after the match. Even if they did it out of concern for Lindsay, it's a lie if someone says that Lindsay refused to speak to the crowd.

Nickk
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I don't think Lindsay is a sore loser but I do think she didn't wanna speak because she was so disappointed.

How do you know Sue never intended to speak to Lindsay? I guess Lindsay told someone before the interview started that she'd prefer not being interviewed.

MH0861
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
It's probably for the best she didn't speak. She probably would've broken down into tears. :sad: Lindsay handled the loss with the utmost class.

Il Primo!
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I think it's okay that Venus celebrated the way she did. She had just won a Slam after being written off for years. I just get sick of people making up lies about Davenport and slandering her character.
At the same time,it was written is newspaper or tennis magazine that Lindsay refused to speak so...It's normal some of us thought the refusal was impolite and rude and that Lindsay behaved like a bitch.BTW, Good to retablish the truth

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM
This crap probably isn't even important to LD or Venus. This whole thread is because of another thread that has been closed on a similar subject.

Like that thread started by Pag, in order to continue the obsession with Venus, posters like wannabe & company are using it as a platform to hurl insults @ Venus and her fans too.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
This crap probably isn't even important to LD or Venus. This whole thread is because of another thread that has been closed on a similar subject.

Like that thread started by Pag, in order to continue the obsession with Venus, posters like wannabe & company are using it as a platform to hurl insults @ Venus and her fans too.
Bullshyt. I'm using this as a platform to get the information right about what happened at Wimbledon. It just happened that some fans of a certain player had the wrong info and tried to make their player look better because of it. Venus' grand slam wins do all the talking for her (shame she probably did a little more after the win). She doesn't need anyone else trying to put other dignified slam winner down with false statements.

Helen Lawson
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I think the reason Lindsay refused to speak was because she was holding her breath until they declared her the winner and turned the plate over to her!

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Bullshyt. I'm using this as a platform to get the information right about what happened at Wimbledon. It just happened that some fans of a certain player had the wrong info and tried to make their player look better because of it. Venus' grand slam wins do all the talking for her (shame she probably did a little more after the win). She doesn't need anyone else trying to put other dignified slam winner down with false statements.You seem to assume a sense of ownership of others that is unwarranted. Your "fans of a certain player" and "put other dignified slam winner" crap reeks of a poster with an agenda.

Venus and her fans will be off the tour in due time. Who, then, will you posture against?

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
You seem to assume a sense of ownership of others that is unwarranted. Your "fans of a certain player" and "put other dignified slam winner" crap reeks of a poster with an agenda.

Venus and her fans will be off the tour in due time. Who, then, will you posture against?
No agenda except to get the truth out there. :lol: I watched the video of Lindsay commenting about Wimbledon hours later on this forum. If some people ignored it, I don't care but don't say she refused to comment if she was never given the chance to. She finally got the chance to and she put up a brave face with an injured back I might add and gave Venus credit. Then she went home and cried.
I don't posture against Venus. I like her personality off the court, I just can't stand her on the court. I'm the same way with Nadia. I guess that means I will go after her then. :tape: Actually I won't but you probably need something to go on so I might as well give you a head start in the wrong direction. :devil:

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
No agenda except to get the truth out there. :lol: I watched the video of Lindsay commenting about Wimbledon hours later on this forum. If some people ignored it, I don't care but don't say she refused to comment if she was never given the chance to. She finally got the chance to and she put up a brave face with an injured back I might add and gave Venus credit. Then she went home and cried.
I don't posture against Venus. I like her personality off the court, I just can't stand her on the court. I'm the same way with Nadia. I guess that means I will go after her then. :tape: Actually I won't but you probably need something to go on so I might as well give you a head start in the wrong direction. :devil::wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

pcrtennis
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
move On...

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
It was Rocketta, who never tells a lie ;)

http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8295728&postcount=3

:spit:

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Let it go. . ..

mike/topgun
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
didn't see those infos anywherw:eek:
Lindsay didn't refuse to be interviewed after the match, she was on the edge when Vee was interviewed and I think noone on the court expected Lindsay to say anything....just the moment was full of emotions and the crowd and everyone understood the Lindsay probably wasn't able to say anything apart from "congratulations to Venus.... hope to be back.... thank you all so much"

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Let it go. . ..
You're right. Whoever is still pissed about this incidient, then they should just put it in a rep or something. It makes things easier. :devil:

lindsayno1
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
why has this thread even been made? This is like a year old...!

WorldWar24
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, maybe Venus can beat her quicker in the Final this year.

loll that was funny

Lindsayfan32
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Lindsay and graceless loser the words don't go together. I have followed Lindsay since 94 and never heard her say a bad word about someone whose beaten her. Last year's wimbledon final reminded me of why I've been Lindsay fan for all these years and will continue to be one until she retires. She a class act on and off the court.

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty about this whole topic: Venus' reaction!

Win, lose, happy, or sad, whatever the reaction . . . .Venus is going to get some kind of flack.

vwfan
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Lindsay and graceless loser the words don't go together. I have followed Lindsay since 94 and never heard her say a bad word about someone whose beaten her. Last year's wimbledon final reminded me of why I've been Lindsay fan for all these years and will continue to be one until she retires. She a class act on and off the court.Here, here! Lindsay is the best and hardly an ungracious loser. I love the hug at the net.

And Venus' reaction was spontaneus and delightful. she meant no disrespect to Lindsay who she actually likes and said, if she weren't in the final, she'd be rooting for Lindsay.

What more do you want from two long-time rivals. My favorite matches are watching Lindsay and Venus battling it out, particularly at Wimbledon.

Absolutely delicious tennis! and complete respect on both sides.

Infiniti2001
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Now, let's get down to the nitty gritty about this whole topic: Venus' reaction!

Win, lose, happy, or sad, whatever the reaction . . . .Venus is going to get some kind of flack.

You don't say :rolleyes: Meanwhile , I 'm wondering if these same people would go to bat for Venus had she been on the receiving end of what they deemed immature bahaviour:shrug:

Pureracket
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:25 PM
You don't say :rolleyes: Meanwhile , I 'm wondering if these same people would go to bat for Venus had she been on the receiving end of what they deemed immature bahaviour:shrug:Please. . ..you already know the answer to that. She could have bent down and kissed her opponent's feet(which, by the way, the establishment were surprised they didn't do), she still would've been cited for being "an ungrateful loser" and "not crediting her opponents".

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:55 AM
You don't say :rolleyes: Meanwhile , I 'm wondering if these same people would go to bat for Venus had she been on the receiving end of what they deemed immature bahaviour:shrug:
Yeah. Lindsay jumping up and down like a ten year old schoolgirl. :rolleyes: You do know Lindsay barely jumps in any of her matches? You do know Lindsay barely moves in any of her matches? You do know Lindsay doesn't even show positive emotion in most of her matches? What really can a tennis player who moves worse than some fifty year olds I've seen on the court possibly do that would have been immature? :tape:

Also I've seen Venus as a gracious loser before with her loses to her sister and Hingis in slam finals. So why wouldn't anyone see Venus as a gracious loser if it happened?

Infiniti2001
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Oh stop being a drama queen :shrug:

MH0861
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but even as a Lindsay fan.. I didn't mind Venus' reaction at all. It showed just how excited and elated she was, and how much the win meant to her. Good for her, I say.