PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham report - day 2.. so far

SJP
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM
As the rains still falls I thought I'd write a bit about DFS as I went until it rained (hopeful it will stop so I can go back!!!).

Mirza was up first, looking, I have to say, a lot fitter and quicker than when I saw her here last year. Also had much better shot selection, and when to attack and when to just get the ball back, also good serving and net play. I think Bondarenko played well too - good match overall!

Nipped out for a bit during that match to watch Pratt v Peng. Pratt wasn't in a good mood by the time I got there. Peng looked totally lost, didn't seem too sure of the grass or how to play and construct points on it, amazed she won, not a great quality match to be honest.

Vera came out smoking, really impressive serving and groundstrokes, certainly looked a class above all the other players I've seen so far this week. Good movement too - a lot of the players have seemed very reluctant to run things down so far this week. When you see her play that well, it's hard to imagine why she doesn't do better week in week out. She seemed in a good mood overall, pity it rained on her!!!

Elena L has been practising a lot this week, another person I don't know why they are struggling in matches, she seems to be hitting the ball really well and in good spirits. Fran also has been hitting lots.

Alicia was watching Pratt, didn't seem very happy though!! Sofia Arvidsson was about again, she is such a smily person and seems to just enjoy watching tennis!

Saw Marion Bartoli hitting, have to say, she is a lot bigger than she was this time last year (not judging, just an observation) and didn't seem over the moon shall we say!!!

Hopefully there will be some more play today!!!

aussy89
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
thanks for keeping us up to date how was sam looking do u no i would think tired after a straight of win at rg then straight on flight out ?

iPatty
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the report. Hopeully Peng can pick up her grass game before Wimbledon.

SJP
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Stosur? First set - excellent - great net play, but then did began to look tired. Was only watching the match out the corner of my eye. Maybe a rain break is what she needed!

aussy89
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM
awsome thanks heaps hopefully this rain delay pays of for sammy =)

Drake1980
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the report. Any sign of the rain stopping?

tucker1989
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Did you see any of Bethanie Mattek's match?

pierce0415
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
SJP

can you please try to give reports of any of the Chinese players (Na Li, Shuai Peng, Zi Yan) if you happen to see their matches tomorrow?

:wavey:

pcrtennis
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Have you watched any of the Morigami-Raymond match?

xXSarajevoXx
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
thanks a lot

Epigone
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the report (especially the section on Bepa :angel: )

It sounds like this could be a good week :D

SJP
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I'll try and report back after tomorrow - the order of play is amazing and the weather forecast great! Feel sorry for the people having to play 2 matches in a day, but hopefully everyone will be on form!

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
:yeah:

Mightymirza
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:05 AM
thx for the report.. :yeah:

vianzfzf
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:03 AM
good report
thanks

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:12 AM
The weather so far today is horrid!! Really grey, overcast, damp and cold!! Hopefully it will cheer up!

Foot's Fingers
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Thnks

nouf
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM
thxs !

have you seen danielafrenchfan! little girl paparazzi! lol

SJP
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I haven't no, must have been sat near her at various points in the day though!!