PDA

View Full Version : why so many Gay men are a fan of WTA??

jeanpierre
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I believe that many posters of wtaworld are Gay men. Because I am not Gay I wondering to ask why many Gay men have more big attraction for women tennis, than the men who love the woman for sex?

Please dont be angry for my question

Marcus1979
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
coincidence ;)

Rafe306
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Yea I don't get it either. You think they'd be more into men's tennis since they have dicks and women have vagis...

brunof
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I was initially drawn to Natasha Zvereva and her cool sunglasses at Wimbledon 1998. Perhaps I speak for myself on this fact, but I think in my unconscious mind, when I'm playing tennis I like to pretend I have 'vagi' as mentioned. When I hit a forehand winner during a match I dont think, "Wow, just like Andy Roddick," I think "Wow, that's something Jennifer would do." I've been known to scream like Maria Sharapova too. (In fact, I want to get the Sharapova scream ringtone my Russian friend speaks of) I guess I've been drawn to tennis for a similar reason to why I'm also a fan of figure skating. When I was younger, I use to 'skate' around the kitchen with my 'sock skates' pretending I was Kristi Yamaguchi. :o:lol:

TimBo
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
its the same reason gay men are more into women singers (not as a rule, just average). Maybe its because we relate better to women than str8 men, not sure, but def interesting.

SelesFan70
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
The on-court and off-court fashion? :confused:

TS
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Secretly wishing that a player would make the perfect fag hag?

kabuki
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
The Boys have always loved strong females. :cool:

jj74
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Maybe it's easy for a gay male recognize the valour of good female tennis, there are a lot of straight men that think female tennis is like second best comparing with male tennis.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
its the same reason gay men are more into women singers (not as a rule, just average). Maybe its because we relate better to women than str8 men...
Bingo.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
its the same reason gay men are more into women singers (not as a rule, just average). Maybe its because we relate better to women than str8 men, not sure, but def interesting.

:bowdown:

Bitter Blue Bong
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Interesting point.

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I just think women's tennis is a lot more interesting. :shrug:

LoveFifteen
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Secretly wishing that a player would make the perfect fag hag?

Hingis :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Please be my fag hag!

Libertango
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
We like strong STRONG women, in every sense of the word. ;)

griffin
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Shouldn't the question be, why aren't more straight men interested in women's tennis?

Is suspect the gay boys are less worried about appearing macho, and less threatened by strong women.

Assuming it's true, of course :devil:

TS
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I just think women's tennis is a lot more interesting. :shrug:

Yeah but you don't count ;)

:kiss:

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah but you don't count ;)

:kiss:

:lol: Okay, so the only reason I'm allowed to like it is if I want a fag hag? ;)

hingis-seles
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:47 PM
It's funny because what attracted me to tennis as a 12-year-old boy was how cute Martina Hingis was and how badly I wanted to make out with her. No, not some obsessive stalker/psycho. It was just one of those crushes you have as a kid about to hit puberty. ;)

hingis-seles
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM
:lol: Okay, so the only reason I'm allowed to like it is if I want a fag hag? ;)

or maybe because it's a matter of preference :shrug:

Oh wait. I forgot. That's not an option. :p :lol:

dreamgoddess099
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
For the same reason straight men like male sports. Since when do you have to be sexually attracted to someone to be a fan and recognise their skill? On the hand, I'm sure they can relate to having to fight for respect, appreciation, and acceptance. It's very common for people of one cause to champion the cause of another.

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
or maybe because it's a matter of preference :shrug:

Oh wait. I forgot. That's not an option. :p :lol:

I actually have no clue why I find women's tennis more interesting, but I do. :confused: Men's tennis usually (not all the time, but usually) puts me to sleep. Of course, I like it for the personalities as well, but it's not like the men's tour has no personalities. :confused:

TS
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Now you're gettin it :angel:

bis2806
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
It's just like how straight males favor male sports...

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Now you're gettin it :angel:

Damn, I really ought to know better! Who is the best one out there? :scratch:

TS
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I actually have no clue why I find women's tennis more interesting, but I do. :confused: Men's tennis usually (not all the time, but usually) puts me to sleep. Of course, I like it for the personalities as well, but it's not like the men's tour has no personalities. :confused:

For me, I was never really subjected to much womens sports when I was growing up, so this was something that I latched onto from a young age, as I found it fascinating that so many people would pack the stands to watch two girls face off against each other. I quite liked that.

Bitter Blue Bong
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I think it also depends on who you latched onto -- had I tuned in and discovered the Williams BROTHERS, then maybe I'd have started following the ATP.

Helen Lawson
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I've never been able to figure this out either. I like gutsy dames who go for it and put it all out there and live their dreams, you know, like most tennis players are doing. Plus, I admire beauty--physical and shots--so like Little Masha, Justine, Amelie, Conchita are beautiful to watch, in one respect or another. Plus, the women's tour does have a certain soap opera element to it (real or imagined, I can't decide) which makes it interesting, too. There are a lot of "characters" at the top, the sneaky little bitch, the sweet innocent wide-eyed girl, the sexbomb, the big shy dyke, ghetto cinderella, etc. I'm not entirely sure how accurate our labels are, but I think there's no doubting they do exist and contribute to the sports popularity.

MisterMan
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
It's the whole Judy Garland, Madonna, Cher thing.
They like women who are perceived as 'strong' , icons, diva's. Women who dress hot, flirt hot and are not afraid to express themselves. women who love their sex, are flamboyant and beautiful.

That said, they like women who act like *they* do.

*JR*
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I believe that many posters of wtaworld are Gay men. Because I am not Gay I wondering to ask why many Gay men have more big attraction for women tennis, than the men who love the woman for sex?
They're attracted to Pierre-Yves Hardenne. :tape:

Shenanigans
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
On a personal level I generally just find women more interesting than men more complex and emotional, I prefer womens tennis, prefer female singers and prefer films where there is strong female characters, especially the films like whatever happened to baby jane maybe cause they are a bit camp and full of drama queens. ;)

LoveFifteen
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I've never been able to figure this out either. I like gutsy dames who go for it and put it all out there and live their dreams, you know, like most tennis players are doing. Plus, I admire beauty--physical and shots--so like Little Masha, Justine, Amelie, Conchita are beautiful to watch, in one respect or another. Plus, the women's tour does have a certain soap opera element to it (real or imagined, I can't decide) which makes it interesting, too. There are a lot of "characters" at the top, the sneaky little bitch, the sweet innocent wide-eyed girl, the sexbomb, the big shy dyke, ghetto cinderella, etc. I'm not entirely sure how accurate our labels are, but I think there's no doubting they do exist and contribute to the sports popularity.

Who's the sneaky little bitch? Justine or Martina?

Reuchlin
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:51 PM
That would be Hingis :tape: :tape: :tape:

Helen Lawson
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Both, but the tour only has room at the top for ONE sneaky little bitch, and that's the "diabolical Belgian" as Mary Carillo calls her, at the moment. Besides, now that Martina got her "comeuppance" by being off the tour for 3 years, she's now the "much-loved veteran" who we "never appreciated." Honestly, even die-hard Williams fans are loving on Martina these days! BTW, I do think that Justine is a sneaky little bitch, but that's a compliment in my book, :worship: and basically, so are most of the rest of the players, only Justine doesn't try to hide it because apparently, she can't be bothered. :worship:

V-MAC
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
They like women who are perceived as 'strong' , icons, diva's. Women who dress hot, flirt hot and are not afraid to express themselves. women who love their sex, are flamboyant and beautiful.

interesting, you seem to be describing Serena Williams there. I wonder is Serena the gay icon of tennis or who is :confused:

On another note, I was in a betting office last Thursday when the Sveta/Nicole semi-final was on and I was surprised to see the number of men actually watching the match there, most were rooting quite vocally for Sveta too and yes they looked straight. So there goes the stereotype blown out of the water ;)

kosmikgroove
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM
IT'S SIMPLE:

gay men love bitchy HOT women who know how to kick ass.

If Madonna played well on the WTA, who knows what kind of following tennis would have!

(ps: this answer is a broad generalization to a stereotypical question)

Helen Lawson
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I can't figure him out, he has very masculine facial features, but he's without a doubt a girlie-man. Do European straight men his age look like that?

AJZ.
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM
:lol: @ this whole thread
I just prefer women's tennis, I never figured out why :tape: I mean, I have my male players, and I enjoy watching men's tennis, but there is so much more going on with the women! Mens normally is summed up in a few sentences: Roger dominates everything except clay because of Nadal, Roddick continues to suck (:sad: pains me to say) but the women are so much more diverse =)
I love them hot men too, though (Andy, Rafa, Marat, Dmitry) so it's a mystery to me too... really!

No.1Hingis
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I guess is cause they feel relationated as men (with women tastes) with tennis women glamour and life expectatives to reach goals.. is a point of feminity ... is not like men havent expectatives but is different the way women express feelings and all around the game.. men are so much reserve players.. Dont know .. as a girl I could give that explaination from my point of view.. .. Well.. in fact.. I really cant watch this as wrong or surprising.. cause.. to the end we are all fans.. so.. I guess is just curiosity but.. not big deal.. even if people can be nice.. doesnt really matter what kind of person we are...

bis2806
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Allez! As a matter of fact, European men are much less reserved about the way they dress. It's very hard to tell if one was gay or not in Europe ---> London is a good example.

Shenanigans
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I can't figure him out, he has very masculine facial features, but he's without a doubt a girlie-man. Do European straight men his age look like that?

You've never seen Graham Norton? He used to do this thing on his show, were he would take guys from the street and the audience had to decide if they were gay or just european. :lol:

Asif_Nawaz
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:11 PM
When I first saw Babsi Schett play i fell in love with her.I was like 8.:lol:

selesfan1
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I am not gay but I am more interested in Women's tennis because you get to see a lot more variety of shots and more play. Who wants to see Roddick serve for 3 hours?The only time I can tolerate a men's match is only clay because the points last longer and I find the sliding technique interesting and there are a lot more Latin American players visible during the clay season so I like to cheer for them as well.

alfonsojose
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
IT'S SIMPLE:

gay men love bitchy HOT women who know how to kick ass.

If Madonna played well on the WTA, who knows what kind of following tennis would have!

(ps: this answer is a broad generalization to a stereotypical question)
:yeah:

I'm gay but besides i hit flat, hard groundies. Mots ATP guys = huge topspin forehands, western/semi-western grips. Even Roger's or Safin's forehands can't match the beauty and tecnique of Lindsay's and Jen's strokes (maybe Andre's).

A'DAM
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM
We are just not into straight man :o

And women are just so much more fun to watch :worship:

cellophane
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Okay, that's ridiculous. How many women in the top 10 for one fit that description?

alfonsojose
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Okay, that's ridiculous. How many women in the top 10 for one fit that description?
I think it's about them being strong and doing something not expected from a woman. They show you can be girly or femenine but agressive and powerful at the same time. Sadly, woman = weak and in desperate search of a man for tons of people, both men and women :shrug:

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM

None?
Plus if you take into account that Martina or Steffi (who basically were women's tennis for quite a while) behaved nothing like that...

miffedmax
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
It's not a statistically meaningful sample, but about half the guys in the tennis league I play in are gay. I wonder if gay guys find tennis more appealing as a sport in general?

I'm not gay, and I follow men's and women's tennis about equally, although I tend to not like to watch women playing other pro sports. I agree with a lot of things posted here--women's game tends to be a little more technical than power based, the personalities are interesting. (Of course, right now, there's also my doofusy crush on Dementieva, but I watched women's tennis before she came along and will after she retires).

AyumiMorita
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM
cuz there are no asians on the men's tour
hahaha
but kevin kim is cool

Prizeidiot
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:25 AM
I dno... maybe all the fashion and bitchiness has something to do with it? The WTA is like a real life soapie.

njnetswill
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:43 AM
I'm not gay either, but I know plenty of guys who are gay and do enjoy tennis more than other sports. I guess tennis is more accessible and less machismo rampant than other sports, certainly in comparison to American football here in the USA. :p

anlavalle
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:44 AM
now i understand why so many haters of amelie are in this board

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM
now i understand why so many haters of amelie are in this board

:confused:

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM
is it me or is a lot of stereotyping of gay people done by gay people.

i would imagine that different gay men follow women's tennis for a number of varying reasons. Some gay men like figure skating, some gay men like rugby (admittedly probably not as many as the former ;) )

I guess i'm not really in a position to say that but i'm sure there are plenty who just think women's tennis is a entertaining sport and who think Madonna, Mariah and Cher's music sucks :lol: don't go nuts at me for that last comment :angel:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:48 AM
is it me or is a lot of stereotyping of gay people done by gay people.

i would imagine that different gay men follow women's tennis for a number of varying reasons. Some gay men like figure skating, some gay men like rugby (admittedly probably not as many as the former ;) )

I guess i'm not really in a position to say that but i'm sure there are plenty who just think women's tennis is a entertaining sport and who think Madonna, Mariah and Cher's music sucks :lol: don't go nuts at me for that last comment :angel:

*raises hand* But then I've been saying it all along. :confused:

Though, I have to say I like figure skating too. :confused:

anlavalle
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:48 AM

some friend told me that gays and lesbians hate each other

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:49 AM

think he/she means because she's not the hot bitchy Madonna type that people in this thread have been indicating gay men are "attracted" to.

PLP
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:49 AM

I think the most logical answer here is that there are many gay men (and women) in the world. If you thouroughly researched this, you would probably find that gay men are fans of many sports, played by both men and women...maybe we just post more??

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:50 AM

like cats versus dogs :lol: bitch versus butch :lol:

anlavalle
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:51 AM
think he/she means because she's not the hot bitchy Madonna type that people in this thread have been indicating gay men are "attracted" to.

yeah that`s why i mean

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:53 AM
i would say tennis is a sport that the stereotyped girly gay men do seem to participate in more compared with others. i guess it's quite social and doesn't have to be particular aggressive etc unless they play me of course because i am a nut case :retard:

^bibi^
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:54 AM
wow this must be like the 1,567,856th thread about that :rolleyes:

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM

:lol:

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM

i thought that but they are usually started by gay men so i let it slide this time.

at least there wasn't a poll asking how big their dicks were like in non-tennis.

^bibi^
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:02 AM
i thought that but they are usually started by gay men so i let it slide this time.

at least there wasn't a poll asking how big their dicks were like in non-tennis.
actually at the moment there'sa current poll to see gay men's role :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bello
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Interesting question...guess u could ask why alot of gay men are obsessed with female singers/actresses (eq. Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Mariah Carey, Bette Midler, etc..) none of these artisits have dicks either....guess gay men find feminine 'characters'..(cos following tennis is kinda like following an ongoing tv series or story)....alot more interesting

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:19 AM
For me Anna Kournikova was the player that really attracted me to the sport the most. But I dont know why I prefer the WTA to ATP. I do like the ATP but Something about it, I don't think is as interesting as the Womans. It;s hard to put my finger on it though.

Maybe it's the strong woman phillosophy, but I'm not sure that's it. I think it's more how they play the game compared to the men. I've never been a fan of the whole best of 5 sets thing, so that has something to do with it as far as the slams are conserned. But yeah good thread, I jst wish I could figure out why I like the womean better

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:26 AM
actually at the moment there'sa current poll to see gay men's role :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Which you opened! :haha: :p

Anyway, the "gay men hate Amelie hypothesis" has to be the most ridiculous thing ever. :haha:

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Anyway, the "gay men hate Amelie hypothesis" has to be the most ridiculous thing ever. :haha:

Yeah what :rolleyes: I can honestly say I like Amelie:) Gotta check out that thread though. I'm probably the minority lol

cellophane
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Amelie bores me. :p

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah and this thing w/ Ameilie fits the stereyotype of gay guys hating gay women. Normally I can agree lol, but when it has to do with tennis and u have a beautiful game like Amelie............ you just can't hate on her, but maybe that's just me:)

franny
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Maybe because gay men like divas? I don't know, I just assume. I mean, many of the top players are divas (Hingis, Venus, Serena, Maria). Isn't that why Cher had so many gay male fans? This is just an assumption of course. Nothing is scientifically proven or really all that justifiable. There could be no correlation at all.

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Franny I'd normally agree with you, but there are some gay guys who don;t really go for that sorta thing. Take a look @ my faves, the only one I think you could really call a diva is Anna and that was more when she was just comming out. I sorta wonder for there are other gay guys out, like me who don't like the Diva aspect,( like Hingis, Venus, Serena, maybe Sharapova).

BTW I love watching Hingis for her game, but some of her "diva-esk" and snotty comments really do piss me off :p

stevos
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Im straight and I love watching womens tennis, and mens tennis. I guess I like sports a lot but I like how you can watch a sport but be turned on at the same time! Unlike, say, womens boxing. Ugh. I like that they can be feminine and play a sport. And I like it because I love tennis. Who wouldnt want to see two girls battle it out? Its why everyone loves a cat fight.

Seyz
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Well, I like it because women tennis players just have more on and off court antics, attitude and drama.
And let's face it; drama is fun. Plus there are more compelling stories in Women's tennis.
I mean the Williams sisters makes for one of the biggest stories in sport history; throw in the glam glam Maria Sharapova with her poverty story, the lesbian Mauresmo, the bitchy Hingis, the child prodigy Capriati, and the cheater JHH (heh, take no offense to these titles please) and you have everything a gay guy would want to watch; action, drama, tears, emotional breakdowns, triumphs, sob stories..

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:40 AM
:lol: @ this whole thread
I just prefer women's tennis, I never figured out why :tape: I mean, I have my male players, and I enjoy watching men's tennis, but there is so much more going on with the women! Mens normally is summed up in a few sentences: Roger dominates everything except clay because of Nadal, Roddick continues to suck (:sad: pains me to say) but the women are so much more diverse =)
I love them hot men too, though (Andy, Rafa, Marat, Dmitry) so it's a mystery to me too... really!

..true..same here :wavey:

Erika_Angel
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Let's face it, Women's tennis is just a whole lot better, and generally gay men have better taste than straight men ;)

Rtael
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM
i am a nut case :retard:

No shit...

G~Playa
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Wonder Why...

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Well, I like it because women tennis players just have more on and off court antics, attitude and drama.
And let's face it; drama is fun. Plus there are more compelling stories in Women's tennis.
I mean the Williams sisters makes for one of the biggest stories in sport history; throw in the glam glam Maria Sharapova with her poverty story, the lesbian Mauresmo, the bitchy Hingis, the child prodigy Capriati, and the cheater JHH (heh, take no offense to these titles please) and you have everything a gay guy would want to watch; action, drama, tears, emotional breakdowns, triumphs, sob stories..

Gotta agree with u there. There's always some type of drama. I guess with the men it's not like that.

AK-DH Fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Let's face it, Women's tennis is just a whole lot better, and generally gay men have better taste than straight men ;)

A known fact :lol:

Andy.
Jun 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Throw is the different looks and the on and off court fashion and i think you could possibly have the answer.

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM
No shit...

ouch :lol: you seem to love misrepresenting what people say in order to get some kind of childish victory.

lesson for rtael: no man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.

lighten up :cool:

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I love how you always capitalize "Gay"...it's so proper... :angel:

SF

arn
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I actually think the level of play is higher on the men's side, but maybe unconsciously I don't like the macho behaviour you also see in team sports :shrug: Gays don't relate that much to macho behaviour, so the only alternative is women's tennis ;)

raddronald
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:19 AM
powerful women are attractive!

hanxu
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
If we talk steroe types, I think, men's tennis is more about power aggression and control which your average str8 men will prefer. Women's tennis is more about syphisication (spll?) passion and fight, which gay men most likely prefer...

Also, men's tennis is more straight forward, I mean, most prefered men tennis players are the higher ranking ones, where women's tennis is more about variety, by meaning that I think in wta tour, the most popular player is not always in top 10

This can also apply to most things steore types for gay/str8, like what kind of music does ppl listen to, what perfume does ppl prefer...

That just my opinion, and I am gay btw.

bionic71
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Lots of dynamics at work...

Firstly...Tennis in general, as an individual sport is very attractive to gay men. I was drawn to it at about 10...there was no need to rely on other team mates, no physical contact, nice clothes....it gave me something to excel at, that was physical and challenging at the same time.

As far as the gay men/womens tennis relationship is concerned ....it is simply that gay men often find common ground with female "icons"...singers, actresses, sports stars....especailly women excelling in male dominated fields.
It has nothing to do with being "girlie"....it is identification with female role models.

Many female sports stars, singers etc have to work incredibly hard to achieve recognition (especailly in male dominated realms). They are openly criticised by men and often bare the brunt of jokes and ridicule...something that gay men identify with on a large scale.

Monica Seles is a prime example. She has a huge gay male fan base...and one of the reasons is her struggle against adversity....the grunting criticism, the dreadful stabbing incident, the comeback....she is a perfect candidate to be embraced by a gay audience.

It is the same reason why someone like Kylie Minogue is so popular amongst gay men. Sure, she is campy and dancey and fun....but it is more to do with the years of ridicule and criticism she endured....gay men embraced her as a result of the mainstream criticism she face for much of her early career.

I could go on forever with this one.....it is essay material....

Lin Lin
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM
who are gay men in WTAWORLD?

So Disrespectful
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
OMG, please stop stereotyping us.

andyshakira
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
also there are no opely gay men in mens tennis ,id love it if there was ,for someone to look up to and admire,im always trying to geuss who could or might be . and im shure there must be some as odds and satistics would suggest.but it would be much easyer if we just new and would be great if they were hot too as an added bonus.there are some lesbian women on tour who are out witch is great and adds more interest in womens tennis for me on top what i alredy enjoy about it.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Lots of dynamics at work...

Firstly...Tennis in general, as an individual sport is very attractive to gay men. I was drawn to it at about 10...there was no need to rely on other team mates, no physical contact, nice clothes....it gave me something to excel at, that was physical and challenging at the same time.

As far as the gay men/womens tennis relationship is concerned ....it is simply that gay men often find common ground with female "icons"...singers, actresses, sports stars....especailly women excelling in male dominated fields.
It has nothing to do with being "girlie"....it is identification with female role models.

Many female sports stars, singers etc have to work incredibly hard to achieve recognition (especailly in male dominated realms). They are openly criticised by men and often bare the brunt of jokes and ridicule...something that gay men identify with on a large scale.

Monica Seles is a prime example. She has a huge gay male fan base...and one of the reasons is her struggle against adversity....the grunting criticism, the dreadful stabbing incident, the comeback....she is a perfect candidate to be embraced by a gay audience.

It is the same reason why someone like Kylie Minogue is so popular amongst gay men. Sure, she is campy and dancey and fun....but it is more to do with the years of ridicule and criticism she endured....gay men embraced her as a result of the mainstream criticism she face for much of her early career.

I could go on forever with this one.....it is essay material....

Best post! :yeah: I couldn't have explained it better! :cool:

Thanks for your Dusty S./PSB avatar!!! :hatoff: What have I done to deserve this? :lol: :kiss: ;)

PS: Monika introduced me into tennis in 1989. No adversity yet! :hug:

jeanpierre
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
also there are no opely gay men in mens tennis ,id love it if there was ,for someone to look up to and admire,im always trying to geuss who could or might be . and im shure there must be some as odds and satistics would suggest.but it would be much easyer if we just new and would be great if they were hot too as an added bonus.

there was one guy Paul Rosner from South Africa who played some years ago in ATP who was a Gay. He was playing only double and not single so it wasnt so famous.

thanks to everybody for all this interesting responses for my question.

Sally Struthers
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Why do people like red vs. blue? They just do. Accept it!

alfajeffster
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
"Without gays, there would be no Hollywood"- Dame Elizabeth Taylor

hablo
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Interesting.

alfajeffster
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Because there is no Bob Mackie (Ted Tinling) in men's tennis. I'll tell you what, though, make the men play naked like the the ancient Greeks, and that wind you feel will be the hoards of gay guys rushing to change their allegiances.

Volcana
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I believe that many posters of wtaworld are Gay men. Because I am not Gay I wondering to ask why many Gay men have more big attraction for women tennisIt's really not that many. It's just that gay men with multiple personality disorder are attracted to women's tennis, and all the personalities have their own names. Really.:)

Slumpsova
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I think it also depends on who you latched onto -- had I tuned in and discovered the Williams BROTHERS, then maybe I'd have started following the ATP.

it does. i started to play tennis at fourteen, it's bit late and i had no clue about professional tennis. my coach told me in the very first day that i had Jennifer Capriati forehand i was like "who's the fuck is Jennifer Capriati?" my coach didn't give me much detail about her so i tried to figure out myself. a week later, i become a fan of Jen and Monica Seles :D

like Bitter Blue said, if only my coach told me i played like Ivan Lendl, things would have turned out another way :o

DannerCal
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
a lot more drama, more interesting matches (mostly).
I like both - so guess that makes me a bi-tennis lover ;)

manu32
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:01 PM
because gay men are in the closet on atp tour????

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Billie Jean and Navratilova created a lot of early fans in the gay community. Then the latter divas kept the fanbase interested.

SF

switz
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:13 PM
"Without gays, there would be no Hollywood"- Dame Elizabeth Taylor

so they're to blame :mad: (jokes)

Steffica Greles
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I was initially drawn to Natasha Zvereva and her cool sunglasses at Wimbledon 1998. Perhaps I speak for myself on this fact, but I think in my unconscious mind, when I'm playing tennis I like to pretend I have 'vagi' as mentioned. When I hit a forehand winner during a match I dont think, "Wow, just like Andy Roddick," I think "Wow, that's something Jennifer would do." I've been known to scream like Maria Sharapova too. (In fact, I want to get the Sharapova scream ringtone my Russian friend speaks of) I guess I've been drawn to tennis for a similar reason to why I'm also a fan of figure skating. When I was younger, I use to 'skate' around the kitchen with my 'sock skates' pretending I was Kristi Yamaguchi. :o:lol:

So funny :lol: And so like me.

I sometimes imagine I'm Monica Seles. It's weird, isn't it...I mean...not just me, but this whole thing about loving women's tennis players.

anlavalle
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:44 AM
It's really not that many. It's just that gay men with multiple personality disorder are attracted to women's tennis, and all the personalities have their own names. Really.:)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :rolls:

anlavalle
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:45 AM
because gay men are in the closet on atp tour????

:tape: :tape: :tape:

anlavalle
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:51 AM

not at all if Amelie bores you

abayen
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I started watching tennis in 1987. Enjoyed both men's and women's tennis. I was mainly fascinated by becker-edberg and graf-navratilova rivalries.. And then seles came along and made women's tennis tonnes more exciting.

However, once becker and edberg were past their prime, there was no one to follow in men's tennis. sampras was likeable but his matches were not. I am not sure why. Maybe he never had an intense rival. Agassi was so unpredictable that he could barely be called a rival for most part.

Likewise, once seles got stabbed, women's tennis became boring. I remember the period 93-95 when I didn't watch much tennis at all. I again got all excited about women's tennis in 95 and then some more in 97 when Hingis came along. My interest continued through the Williams sisters' domination phase. But it waned in 2003 or so with the Belgians and the russians taking over.

Now that we are in 2006, and with Hingis and Venus playing reasonably well, my interest has again piqued. I am not a fan of Venus but I think she keeps the tour interesting.

On the men's side, things have gotten interesting once again starting last year. Most of it has to do with the genius of Roger Federer and some of it because of the rivalry between him and Nadal.

So, if I really have to analyze, tennis is interesting to me because of strong and interesting personalities. Such people have been more present in women's tennis and I guess that's why I usually enjoy it more. I have to admit though that at the moment I prefer Federer-Nadal anyday to Henin-Clijsters.

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Personally, I don't like lesbians. :sad:

SelesFan70
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Why do people like red vs. blue? They just do. Accept it!

Sally, I'm sure you'd look :hearts: in a flowing red frock!

Poova
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
All my friends are girls, all my favourite singers are female and all the people I like on TV shows like Big Brother are female.

I don't know why it is, but it's the same with women's tennis. I hate men's tennis and love women's tennis (not saying I hate boys in general of course :p )

Morrissey
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Maybe the homosexuals like the WTA because they relate to the WTA more than the ATP. Isn't that surprising? I feel for the homosexual men they don't like the macho behavior and the posturing on the ATP tour. Also, I don't think the homosexuals hate lesbians in fact I think they respect the WTA because of the open and proud lesbians that have come out. Martina Navratilova, Amelie Mauresmo, Conchita Martinez, Gigi Fernandez, Renee Stubbs, Lisa Raymond, Billie Jean King, and many other lesbians are out. The WTA probably feels more safe for them and they feel the WTA is a much more progressive place.

By contrast, everyone knows there are gay men on the ATP tour. Yet the ATP doesn't seem as open minded about homosexuality then the WTA. No one on the ATP seems to have courage to come out. There of course have been rumours about Gonazlez and Massu being a gay couple, and Schuttler, and Jim Courier. But ALL of the gay men on the ATP tour are in the closet.
The ATP also seems to be presenting an image of heterosexuality. By contrast the WTA seems more progressive with all of the openly lesbians that are comfortable with themselves and their lives.

Helen Lawson
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:51 PM
You know what would totally kick ass would be either the Mashas or the Williams Sisters doing a duet of Tina Turner's Typical Male with a really hot video. See, a straight guy would never come up with something like that.

craigsf2000
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Best post! :yeah: I couldn't have explained it better! :cool:

Thanks for your Dusty S./PSB avatar!!! :hatoff: What have I done to deserve this? :lol: :kiss: ;)

PS: Monika introduced me into tennis in 1989. No adversity yet! :hug:

Bravo

jeanpierre
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:57 PM
By contrast, everyone knows there are gay men on the ATP tour. Yet the ATP doesn't seem as open minded about homosexuality then the WTA. No one on the ATP seems to have courage to come out. There of course have been rumours about Gonazlez and Massu being a gay couple, and Schuttler, and Jim Courier. But ALL of the gay men on the ATP tour are in the closet.

there is many, MANY rumours about Jan Michael Gamble...

Hagar
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:40 PM

In my experience gay men do absolutely not relate better to women than straight men. I feel that gay men behave strangely towards women, they do not relate to them as real persons but more as icons and sometimes as caricatures (the whole drag queen think is utterly humiliating for women IMO). Sometimes also as mother figures from whom they expect unconditional warmth and affection. All gay men I know have a very close (I would even say unhealthy) relationship with their mother. Their mothers have lent on their sons because they did not get affection from their husband.
Gay men definitely do not see women as sexual beings. Personally this does not interest me, and that is why I prefer the company of straight men. Some of them are jerks, but there are also gays who are jerks.

Hagar
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I actually think the level of play is higher on the men's side, but maybe unconsciously I don't like the macho behaviour you also see in team sports :shrug: Gays don't relate that much to macho behaviour, so the only alternative is women's tennis ;)

Gays are definitely not less macho than straight men! I see a lot of macho behaviour among the gays on this board, for example the bragging about sex adventures.
Macho behaviour depends on the person's character in my opinion, not on his sexual orientation.
As a straight woman, the "feminine" behaviour of some gays irritates me because it comes across as fake and unnatural. They also often act too theatrical to my liking.

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM
it comes across as fake and unnatural.

I can assure you...it is genuine and natural!

Helen Lawson
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:55 PM
In my experience gay men do absolutely not relate better to women than straight men. I feel that gay men behave strangely towards women, they do not relate to them as real persons but more as icons and sometimes as caricatures (the whole drag queen think is utterly humiliating for women IMO). Sometimes also as mother figures from whom they expect unconditional warmth and affection. All gay men I know have a very close (I would even say unhealthy) relationship with their mother. Their mothers have lent on their sons because they did not get affection from their husband.
Gay men definitely do not see women as sexual beings. Personally this does not interest me, and that is why I prefer the company of straight men. Some of them are jerks, but there are also gays who are jerks.

Hon, I think you're going to get ripped to shreds for this by the Pink Mafia, and perhaps rightfully so, but I've never doubted your genuineness and respect your up-front way of expressing your opinions.

Hagar
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Hon, I think you're going to get ripped to shreds for this by the Pink Mafia, and perhaps rightfully so, but I've never doubted your genuineness and respect your up-front way of expressing your opinions.

As I said, I am speaking from my personal experience. Actually, I twice had a friendship with a gay man. In both cases I valued that friendship very highly and I have been very disappointed because I found out that they were somehow unable to really appreciate me for the person I was, but rather tried to make me some kind of motherfigure from whom they could take positive feedback while at the same time treating me with contempt.
I have in principal no problem with gay men, as far as I am concerned they can even marry and adopt children but I keep them out of my circle of friends. Which is not difficult because I normally don't connect with them (the 2 friends I had were exceptions).
In gerenal I get along better with men than with women, so men who act in a feminine way are not exactly the men I am interested in.

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:13 PM
As I said, I am speaking from my personal experience. Actually, I twice had a friendship with a gay man. In both cases I valued that friendship very highly and I have been very disappointed because I found out that they were somehow unable to really appreciate me for the person I was, but rather tried to make me some kind of motherfigure from whom they could take positive feedback while at the same time treating me with contempt.
I have in principal no problem with gay men, as far as I am concerned they can even marry and adopt children but I keep them out of my circle of friends. Which is not difficult because I normally don't connect with them (the 2 friends I had were exceptions).
In gerenal I get along better with men than with women, so men who act in a feminine way are not exactly the men I am interested in.

You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that you need a little more life experience before you generalize like this. There are millions of gay men in the world and you've put them all into a little stereotyped box.

SF

Hagar
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that you need a little more life experience before you generalize like this. There are millions of gay men in the world and you've put them all into a little stereotyped box.

SF

My opinion is that you have to read what I write... You will then see that I am speaking from two personal experiences. That's all. For the rest I am not especially interested in gays, not more than I am interested in straights. I don't approach or avoid people because of their sexual orientation, I base myself on how they treat me.

BTW, how old do you think I am since you have the nerve to tell me that I need more life experience. I bet I have more life experience than some on this board will ever have! :devil:

sfselesfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
No need to get testy. I said you were entitled to your opinion and I stated mine. I guess you're the only one entitled to your opinion.

You were the one who said you keep gays out of your circle of friends. You have every right to do that. I merely stated the opinion that you seem to be stereotyping thousands of people based on two life experiences. I think you could have some more positive experiences that might change your opinion...that's all. Even at 80 years-old people can have new life experiences that change a perspective on something.

SF

Johno_uk
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Oh Puuhleassse.

Saying you don't connect with gay people and keep them ot of your circle of friends, is exactly the same as me turning around and saying I don't make friends with blacks as I "don't connect with them".

There are several million gay people in the world, as there are black people, so there is goona be quite a lot of variation in personality and character. Clearly you don't know that many gay people if all the ones you know have an unhealthy relationship with their mother.

I too find very effeminite gay men annoying in some cases, but not all of them, and not all gay men are effeminite.Got it?

I'm sorry that this is your view, but I think you are trying to put gay people into "boxes" in a was which is actually quite homophobic. Like SF says maybe you need some more life experience with this issue to make a balanced opinion, before coming up with :retard: statements like "I keep gays out of my circle of friends".

Steffica Greles
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM
My opinion is that you have to read what I write... You will then see that I am speaking from two personal experiences. That's all. For the rest I am not especially interested in gays, not more than I am interested in straights. I don't approach or avoid people because of their sexual orientation, I base myself on how they treat me.

BTW, how old do you think I am since you have the nerve to tell me that I need more life experience. I bet I have more life experience than some on this board will ever have! :devil:

To be fair, I feel exactly the same as you - and I'm gay :lol:

jrm
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Newsflash: gay men love internet! Period!

I don't think there is an actor on IMDB that hasn't got one thread 'is he gay ...'

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Massu and Gonzalez a couple? That's hot! ;) :drool:

Shenanigans
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:18 AM

You are seriously fucked up! Maybe the reason gay men value women is they do not just see them as people who look after the kids, iron their shirts and wash their pants.
You sound like a complete homophobe and have absolutely no understanding of people let alone gay men.

bionic71
Jun 16th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Hi Hagar..
I am glad you qualified your experience in a later post... saying that your personal experience stems from two experiences with gay male friends.

In my experience gay men do absolutely not relate better to women than straight men. I feel that gay men behave strangely towards women, they do not relate to them as real persons but more as icons and sometimes as caricatures (the whole drag queen think is utterly humiliating for women IMO). Sometimes also as mother figures from whom they expect unconditional warmth and affection.

In my experience....I have many wonderful friendships with women and I can assure you that I treat none of them in the superficial way mentioned in your post. Straight women often enjoy the relationships with their gay male friends....as there is a safety aspect involved...no crossing of the sexual line. There is no danger of the friendship ever becoming a sexual one....nothing to prove...nothing to hide....the friendship is one that flourishes and can be lifelong.

Using my experience as an example. I have a friend Margaret who I have known for some 17 years now. She was married 5 years ago to a wonderful man Jeremy and have recently had therir first child. Nothing has altered our friendship whatsoever...we are closer than ever before....we are family....
Her husband and I have a great relationship as well. He is not threatened by my friendship with is wife and as a result we have developed a great friendship of our own.

My best male friend, Gavin (of some 15 years now) is a rampant straight man...Our frienship is a cherished one....Gavin is so comfortable with his own sexuality that he is not threatened by mine. Many straight men are simply unable to overcome the sexuality difference...

All gay men I know have a very close (I would even say unhealthy) relationship with their mother. Their mothers have lent on their sons because they did not get affection from their husband.
I don't know where to begin with this statement....only to offer you a contradiction...My relationship with both of my parents is indeed close...yet far from unhealthy. My father is a wonderfully generous man...who has no trouble showing affection to his wife and children.

As a gay man I do not isolate myself within a gay only domain. Some of my good friends are gay, the majority are not....my sexuality has nothing to do with the friends I cultivate...however the attitude and understanding of my sexuality and what it means to be a gay person will have a huge bearing on the friends I keep.

Anyway...this thread seems to have strayed into NON TENNIS territory (apologies to the threadstarter)...

I am sorry that your friendships with your gay pals soured...maybe they were just not meant to be.

russophile
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM
who are the gay men in your neighborhood?

cellophane
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM
not at all if Amelie bores you

:lol: I don't hate her. I just find her boring to watch most of the time.

*roddicksinme*
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:14 AM
i didnt know this! :O haha

stevos
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM

SF

Im sorry, but isnt this whole thread putting gays into a little stereotyped box?? Its just as bad IMO.

sfselesfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Im sorry, but isnt this whole thread putting gays into a little stereotyped box?? Its just as bad IMO.

The thread is supposed to be about why gays like WTA tennis. I think there are a lot of gay men who like women's tennis...and this is a stereotype. So in that sense you're absolutely correct.

I didn't create this thread, I'm merely expressing my opinion about what I see as another poster's stereotypes. I confess that I'm guilty of my own and you are all free to debate me on them.

SF