PDA

View Full Version : Will we see a more mature Venus winning Wimbledon?

Reuchlin
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Last year Venus' Joy after her Wimbledon win, while nice to see, was a little disrespectful to Davenport, and not in good taste. When she wins this year's Ladies' Championship (her 4th), will we see a more mature Venus?

Pagliacci.

Infiniti2001
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
STFU!! :fiery:

Rocketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah like Davenport's refusal to speak was the height of respect and maturity.......Venus will do what Venus damn well chooses to do and you will just have to live with it. :rolleyes:

Viktymise
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
It wasnt immature the way she reacted, it was a long tight close match in which she faught immensely hard and faught off a MP plus she hadnt won a slam in like 4 yrs and the whole tournament for her had been huge i think anyone in her position would have acted the same, if she wins this yr it prob wont be the same but it will still be a big celebration

Vacant
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
How many threads about Venus and Serena are you going to make?

Venus was excited, and as far as I'm concerned, it was a joy to watch.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
After being so harshly counted out, and not really given a fighting chance until she served for the championship, I don't blame her at all for how she reacted. I think it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. She was so joyous, she didn't even care what anyone thought about it. I don't think it was the most considerate of Davenport's feelings, especially since Davey was injured, but Venus didn't use any gamesmanship, she wasn't as "IN YO FACE HO!" as she and her sister were when they first came onto the scene in the late 1990s. She honestly has spoken SO highly of Davenport, and I actually think they have a really good relationship (look @ Vee, Ree, Linds, and Corina @ Fed Cup 2005, they look like they really enjoyed each other's company). It was such a beautiful moment, much like when she won in 2000. She was jumping all over the place there too. But when she repeated in 2001, she was much calmer, even though she didn't win in as dominating fashion. I think she will win this year, and will be much calmer, because....she knows that EVERYONE knows, she's the one to beat this year: Linds is injured, so is Maria (not to mention that Maria or Lindsay have NEVER beaten her on grass, despite the fact that when they both won their Wimbledon titles, they defeated tennis LEGENDS in their respective finals). Amelie will make a good run, but I don't care what ANYONE says, she choked against Serena in 2004, and against Lindsay last year. Yeah she was defaulted a slam this year, but I don't think that will EVER happen again. Justine plays well on grass but it's been 3 years since she was in the second week at Wimbledon(it was a nice streak for her though 1 final and 2 semis). Kim is a good player on all surfaces, but she's the kind of player that needs time to find her groove and there aren't enough warm-ups for her to start playing her best tennis by the end of the month. Martina is a good player, but apart from her amazing win in 1997, she really hasn't done so hot there (for a player many consider to be the smartest ever). Venus really stands alone as the top contender. Kuznetsova and Vaidisova are really good players, but it will be interesting to see how their games translate onto grass after doing so well on clay. It will be an interesting fortnight, but should Venus lift her namesake dish again (which I think she will, beating Mauresmo in the finals), she'll be MUCH calmer....but it wasn't disrespectful, it was PURE, beautiful JOY!

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah like Davenport's refusal to speak was the height of respect and maturity.......Venus will do what Venus damn well chooses to do and you will just have to live with it. :rolleyes:
:worship: yep, I was JUST gonna say that

new-york
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM
You still have the right to celebrate Justine 5th slam before getting back to your old Williams kindbashing standarts.

jeanpierre
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM
why you make a dumb ass statement pagliaggi? I think Venus not going to win Wimbledon this year. But when she does win Wimbledon, she can celebrate what she likes, so shut your mouth.

Marcell
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Players can never win. A lot of people were critical of Kuznetsova's reaction when she won the US Open because of the lack of emotion. It was quite refreshing to see someone genuinely excited about winning.

hotandspicey
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Last year Venus' Joy after her Wimbledon win, while nice to see, was a little disrespectful to Davenport, and not in good taste. When she wins this year's Ladies' Championship (her 4th), will we see a more mature Venus?

Pagliacci.
She's The F$#king (F@#king) Venus Williams!! Now shut the eff up!! Vee vs Sharapova or Justine Wimbly 4th round..:devil: Now see. you done pissed me off!!!:mad:

iPatty
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
If she wins, she can celebrate however she wants to. This happened a year ago. You're certainly good at holding grudges, aren't you?

Marcus1979
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Pagliacci.

hmmm Justine was disrespectful to Serena and that was so not in good taste no matter how u sugar coat it

remember the "hand" incident

K-Dog
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM
How sad is it when people begin to critique a player's celebration after a big win. As if it is anyone's business how someone feels inside and how they wish to emote. There is no right or wrong way to celebrate, except if it is done in an unsporting way, which Venus' celebration wasn't.

alfonsojose
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
. Martina is a good player, but apart from her amazing win in 1997, she really hasn't done so hot there (for a player many consider to be the smartest ever)
Have u ever seen Martina v.s Venus 2000 Wimby QF match :smash:

alfonsojose
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:26 PM
It was innapropiate from Venus, yes, but considering what it had been said and done before about her carreer and game, i couldn't blame her. It was a slap in the face to everyone who wrote her off :shrug:

K-Dog
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM

yeah Martina lost. did you see Venus' unforced errors in that match? for grass, she had an outrageous amount of errors and still beat Hingis. not to mention that her last match there was an embarrassing loss to Virginia Ruano-Pascual in the first round.

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
In Venus' defense, I think she was so shocked that she won a grand slam tournament after a four year drought, that her emotions spilled over.

Dawn Marie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Why do some people feel that a mature adult CANNOT and SHOULD not act giddy and happy when they win or when they even feel like it?? This is what is wrong in this world. Some adults are so stuffy and boring! Breathe people LIVE people! LIVE! LOL

iPatty
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:29 PM
In Venus' defense, I think she was so shocked that she won a grand slam tournament after a four year drought, that her emotions spilled over.

I don't think she was suprised. She kept talking about how she always believed in herself, no matter what, that she could keep winning slams. To me, that doesn't sound like she was shocked to win.

Infiniti2001
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:30 PM

What does that match have to do with what the poster said?? Bottom-line Martina Hingis has done anything note worthy at Wimblendon outside her '97 win :shrug:

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
hmmm Justine was disrespectful to Serena and that was so not in good taste no matter how u sugar coat it

remember the "hand" incident

Well, Henin went on to win 5 grand slam singles titles, the #1 ranking, an Olympic Gold medal, while Serena won 2 grand slam events. You can't sugar coat it any other way.

Infiniti2001
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Well, Henin went on to win 5 grand slam singles titles, while Serena won 2. You can't sugar coat it any other way.

You cannot be serious ::shrug: Grow the fuck up already :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
You cannot be serious ::shrug: Grow the fuck up already :rolleyes:

Who are you telling to grow up?

Kiss my ass.

K-Dog
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Well, Henin went on to win 5 grand slam singles titles, while Serena won 2. You can't sugar coat it any other way.

okay, because that has anything to do with that.

Serena has more weeks at no.1
Serena still has more majors at 7
Serena has won all 4 majors
Serena leads JHH in their h2h 5-3 and hasn't lost to Justine on anything other than clay

Marcus1979
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:36 PM
reverse the roles u trying to say it would not bother u ;)

this board would crash from all the upset Henin fans and williams haters

Cat's Pajamas
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Paggliacci is the most annyoing thread whore :mad: I'd trade him out for seles davenport anyday!

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:37 PM
okay, because that has anything to do with that.

Serena has more weeks at no.1
Serena still has more majors at 7
Serena has won all 4 majors
Serena leads JHH in their h2h 5-3 and hasn't lost to Justine on anything other than clay

Well, K-Dog, I didn't quite understand what the "hand" incident had to do with anything in this thread to begin with???

But since it was mentioned, I thought it worth mentioning what each player had accomplished at the majors since.

Marcus1979
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
the guy that wrote the thread was saying Venus was disrespecful and not in good taste

so I was like people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

K-Dog
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Well, K-Dog, I didn't quite understand what the "hand" incident had to do with anything in this thread to begin with???

But since it was mentioned, I thought it worth mentioning what each player had accomplished at the majors since.

the hand had to deal with poor sportmanship on Justine's part and what the thread starter was trying to say that Venus was SO unsporting in her celebration last year at Wimbledon. he attacked Venus, we attack his fav, which happens to be JHH.

btw, since the hand incident, Serena killed Justine in their next match.

Infiniti2001
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Who are you telling to grow up?

Kiss my ass.

your stank ass? No thanks !!!! :rolleyes:

darrinbaker00
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Will we see a more mature Venus winning Wimbledon? As long as she's holding the Rosewater Dish at the end, it really doesn't matter to me. ;)

kabuki
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
:zzz:

K-Dog
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Will we see a more mature Venus winning Wimbledon? As long as she's holding the Rosewater Dish at the end, it really doesn't matter to me. ;)
that's all that will matter to me.

SelesFan70
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:59 PM
She's a year older, so I'd say "Yes". :wavey:

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I loved her jumping.lol. The whole world loved it!!

In sports, there is a winner, and there is a loser. Sometimes the losers cry, and that's sad. Sometimes the winners are ecstatic, and they have every right to be. You can't always temper your excitement because some lost. Someone will always lose.

Venus did great at last year's Wimby.

LOl@ how Juju's name always comes up recently. You can tell when a player is really good because their name pops up in every convo.

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM

'Davenport's refusal to speak'

:lol: You are aware that she 'refused' to speak because Sue Barker, the interviewer, decided not to go over to her??

Maybe you weren't aware :rolleyes:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
This topic looks kinda familiar with a Red Alert 2 game....

Allies (Pagliacci):- WARNING! WEATHER STORM DETECTED!!!

(multiple thunder strikes on Soviet's [Venus Fans] (home) base, causing hurt and damage).

As retaliation to the attack...

Soviet (Venus Fans):- WARNING! NUCLEAR MISSILE LAUNCHED!!!

(directly hits on Pagliacci, causing serious casualties).

I think I played too much... should stop now... :tape:

Kart
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see some more mature threads on WTA world.