PDA

View Full Version : You smoke.

Pheobo
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:12 AM
For those who indulge in cigarettes, what kind do you smoke? I smoke American Spirit lights.

Brett.
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I think its really stupid for people who are craving for some cigerettes. I tried it once and i enjoyed the taste but will never smoke at all.

Kenny
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I tried marijuana and I liked it.. I understand how people like the smoking thing.. but all of the bad things that come along with the smoke (the smell, the look you get from other people) really just isn't worth it. Plus, why hurt yourself?

AjdeNate!
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Marlboro Light 100s. :smoke:

skanky~skanketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
marlboro lights menthol.

TF Chipmunk
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Why thank you, you're pretty smokin' yourself :wavey:

Martian Jeza
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I don't smoke and no planing ever to smoke... I only some at passive way.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Never smoked, and never will.

:worship:

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I don't smoke. But sometimes I INHALE smoke from smokers (passive smokers) because I don't have a choice (especially in resturants and public transport). I hate it... but like I said, passive smokers have no choice... unless you have an oxygen mask.

meyerpl
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Never smoked, and never will.

Try it for six months, just to make an informed decision, then if you don't like it, simply quit.

Pheobo
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I should've known better than to make a thread like this on WTA World...everyone here is so pretentious and uptight here...except Athenaeum who is turning into a WTAfuckinghero.

The KR thread is so much less "Kimmie's Boy" and much more "You Fuck Like My Dad"....

meyerpl
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM
I should've known better than to make a thread like this on WTA World...everyone here is so pretentious and uptight here...except Athenaeum who is turning into a WTAfuckinghero.

The KR thread is so much less "Kimmie's Boy" and much more "You Fuck Like My Dad"....
I don't understand this post, not at all, but I get a big kick out of it!

Pheobo
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I don't understand this post, not at all, but I get a big kick out of it!

Thanks!

I appreciate you. And your...appreciation.

SeanyQ
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Alpine Fines ;)

rebel_ffighter
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I quite smoking 2 years ago.I used to smoke Silk Cut

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Marlboro Menthol Light :smoke:

Has anyone tried Texas before?

pla
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
The ol' good Lucky Strike

Pszczelny
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
whatever :shrug:

hingisGOAT
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM
salem black labels or newport 100s

esquímaux
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
KOOL menthol lights :smoke: Smoking is one of the most disgusting habits you can pick up, but sometimes you jump off a cliff just to feel yourself fall.

Perfection
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM
OMGZZZZZZ smoking is SEAAUUX BAD YALL

I smoke marijuana brand cigarettes. My favorite.

fifiricci
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Why have all the non smokers entered a thread entitled "you smoke" to tell us that they don't smoke? (Marlboro Lights are my poison, by the way).

Message to non smokers: fuck off out of a thread that doesn't concern you. No vcash on offer for sermons or lectures about the dangers - we've heard them all before.

Thank you

:smoke:

Avid Merrion
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
haven't smoked for 8 months now :angel: but when i did, i smoked anything. i wasn't fussy :lol:

*edit - runs out the thread before fifiricci beats me to death with a giant Marlboro.... :bolt: :lol:

Alicia Rocks
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Winfield Blue is good :cool:

Alicia Rocks
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
^^ But I'm not addicted, only tried it once ;)

Kaiwhakahare
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Marlboro Normal
Benson and Hedges special filter
Dunhill Blue

and for menthol - Pall Mall

controlfreak
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I used to smoke but it dawned on me that I smelt like a dead rat, had no friends, and people would look at me with disgust as I walked down the street.

Now that I've quit my life is 100% better, apart from still having no friends, and the lung cancer which is going to finish me off in 6 months. Oh, that and the fact that I can't get it up any more.

Beat
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
me, too :cool:

tennislover
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
in the wtaworld.com forums there should be separated sections for smoking and no-smoking posters :lol:

fifiricci
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
*edit - runs out the thread before fifiricci beats me to death with a giant Marlboro.... :bolt: :lol:

You're the exception to my rule, caro ;)

-Em-
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
i quit 4 months ago :D
i used to smoke lucky strike though.

drake3781
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Marlboro ULTRA Light 100s for Me! :wavey:

drake3781
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Try it for six months, just to make an informed decision, then if you don't like it, simply quit.

:lol: ;)

Craigy
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I smoke whatever my mates, dad and brother smoke. I inhale other people's smoke, all the time :mad:

Craigy
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM
So to clear up that last post - I don't smoke...

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I used to smoke B&H Gold and occasionally Malboro Lights.

But I quit in March and haven't craved for a cigarrette since the beginning of May :)

RR-87
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
West Medium :o :drool: :smoke:

Cat's Pajamas
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Yuran :mad: tiss tiss :o

Craig :lol: I didn't know what you were saying at first :lol:

skanky~skanketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
non-smoker, getcha arses outta here.

anyway, besides marlboro lights menthols, i also smoke dunhill lights. i used to love davidoffs as well, but i cant seem to find them anymore. :mad:

marlboro reds are the WORST!

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM

anyway, besides marlboro lights menthols, i also smoke dunhill lights. i used to love davidoffs as well, but i cant seem to find them anymore. :mad:

ugh. tell me about it. i dont know why people are all over the red.

marlboro ultra light is very delicate. lol. i tried it and it felt as though there's no smoke.

:inlove:
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
When I was 14 I smoked for about 4 months to look cool. :tape: :help: But then I stopped, and now I am the coolest person in the world. :bigclap: ;)

BTW this is not a bashing post to smokers so don't get uptight. :rolleyes: :p

Craigy
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I can't remember what age I was when I first tried it. Maybe 11 :o
All my friends who are girls smoke.

skanky~skanketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:09 PM
When I was 14 I smoked for about 4 months to look cool. :tape: :help: But then I stopped, and now I am the coolest person in the world. :bigclap: ;)

BTW this is not a bashing post to smokers so don't get uptight. :rolleyes: :pwe'll just have a smoke to wind down. :p

KV
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Dunhill international.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I like Davidoffs, but at the moment I smoke Route 66 blue, and LM Super Light :)

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Why have all the non smokers entered a thread entitled "you smoke" to tell us that they don't smoke? (Marlboro Lights are my poison, by the way).

Message to non smokers: fuck off out of a thread that doesn't concern you. No vcash on offer for sermons or lectures about the dangers - we've heard them all before.

Thank you

:smoke:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I mostly smoke Lucky Strike, and Davidoff once in a while.

Ciggies are really cheap here. :D

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I mostly smoke Lucky Strike, and Davidoff once in a while.

Ciggies are really cheap here. :D

And prices in Poland just increased :(

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:32 PM

They are increasing here as well. They are quite a bit more expensive now than they were 3 years ago, but are still very, very reasonable, compared to Western Europe at least.

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM
:wavey:

This could be smoker chat thread :smoke:

Ciggies in Singapore are very expensive, me thinks. The government is trying to cut down the number of smokers and also most of the public places are going to ban smoking too. Urgh. But we smokers will survive :tape: :haha:

I know it's not cheap either in US.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:41 PM
But we smokers will survive :tape: :haha:

We must resist! :armed:

Smoking in public places was foribidden here a couple of months ago. Fortunately it's still allowed in bars and clubs, and open air of course. And my uni has a smoking area. :smoke:

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Smoking in public places was foribidden here a couple of months ago. Fortunately it's still allowed in bars and clubs, and open air of course. And my uni has a smoking area. :smoke:
It sucks, doesn't it? Being caged. Lol.

We can't smoke in our school are, so I always sneak out to smoke in carparks or toilets. Got caught once though. :shrug:.

Haven't tried Davidoff before. I assume most of the Europeans smoke that?

KV
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Smoking in public places was foribidden here a couple of months ago. Fortunately it's still allowed in bars and clubs, and open air of course. And my uni has a smoking area. :smoke:What people seem to forget, when smoking is disallowed in bars etc. It's likely it will cause a deficit financially to the bar owner etc. Bar owners could lose money if they disallow smoking.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:52 PM
It sucks, doesn't it? Being caged. Lol.

We can't smoke in our school are, so I always sneak out to smoke in carparks or toilets. Got caught once though. :shrug:.

Haven't tried Davidoff before. I assume most of the Europeans smoke that?
I think that most Europeans go for Luky Strike or LM :) LM is the most popular brand in Poland :)

Davidoff are rather more expensive

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
What people seem to forget, when smoking is disallowed in bars etc. It's likely it will cause a deficit financially to the bar owner etc. Bar owners could lose money if they disallow smoking.
Indeed. Bar/Club is the only place where usually casual smokers would go too. They are banning smoking in nightlife places soon here. :bigcry:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:56 PM
What people seem to forget, when smoking is disallowed in bars etc. It's likely it will cause a deficit financially to the bar owner etc. Bar owners could lose money if they disallow smoking.

That's rubbish. That 's the argument the smokers keep coming up with but when you look at other countries, you see it's not true.

I was in Italy recently and it was fantastic to sit in a restaurant and not be disturbed by cigarette smoke.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:59 PM

I know, they are awful. I was at a houseparty and someone left the cigarettes behind. I was out of them so I decided to take them. They were so strong and the taste is so bad. But it saved me the walk to the petrol station so I had them :o

KV
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
That's rubbish. That 's the argument the smokers keep coming up with but when you look at other countries, you see it's not true.

I was in Italy recently and it was fantastic to sit in a restaurant and not be disturbed by cigarette smoke.Untrue, I know enough pub holders who complain.

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I think that most Europeans go for Luky Strike or LM :) LM is the most popular brand in Poland :)

LM :eek: They sell it here. And I've tried it before. Not too shabby ;)

I'm ok with any brand as long as its fucking menthol. :lol:

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM

I was in Italy recently and it was fantastic to sit in a restaurant and not be disturbed by cigarette smoke.
I think it somehow affected. Let's say if pub A bans smoking, they would lose most of their smoking customers. :shrug:

gentenaire
Untrue, I know enough pub holders who complain.

How can they complain when there is no ban?

Joana

:shout:
Do not disturb while we :smoke:

I still love you, even though you're a non-smoking nazi. :p

BTW, I don't have anything against non-smoking restaurants, just as long as there are ones where smoking is allowed too.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:08 PM

True. And they are kind of snobbish. They are not bad at all, though, taste quite good and don't leave as much smell as Lucky Strike.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I think it somehow affected. Let's say if pub A bans smoking, they would lose most of their smoking customers. :shrug:

Given that over 50% of adult population in Serbia smoke, I think pubs would definitely be affected.

adam_ads_n
LM :eek: They sell it here. And ive tried it before. Not too shabby ;)

I'm ok with any brand as long as its fucking menthol. :lol:
LM Menthol are ok :D

But I smoke super lights :) they cost about 1,5 euros here per pack :o

gentenaire

Exactly!! That's why there has to be a general ban because leaving it up to choice doesn't work.

They've been given a chance, restaurants are supposed to have a seperate non smoking area. In reality, when you say non-smokers, they just move the ashtrey to another table. So the current law doesn't work.

What they've done in all those other countries, in the US, in Italy, in Canada does work!

Pheobo
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM

I agree...they don't have the same taste as Marlboro 27's, which are wonderful.

KV
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:13 PM

BTW, I don't have anything against non-smoking restaurants, just as long as there are ones where smoking is allowed too.Not yet. But let's wait how it will be in the future. Think about people have to earn their daily bread. What if a large number of your customers are smokers?
About restaurants I agree with Joana.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
:tape: To get a ban maybe :lol:

You're missing the point. How can they complain about losing costumers because of a ban when there is no ban so they haven't lost any costumers?
The pubs in other countries didn't lose money.

They always base this whole idea on surveys where the smokers claim they'll stop going to pubs if there was a ban, but they only say that to prevent such a ban. In reality, they're not going to stop going to pubs.

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:19 PM
someone is trying to crash our party. :lol:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Not yet. But let's wait how it will be in the future. Think about people have to earn their daily bread. What if a large number of your customers are smokers?
About restaurants I agree with Joana.

These people now don't have a choice, they have to work in smoky environment, whether they like it or not.

What about the potention customers who're now staying away because of the smoke?

I repeat, there are lots of other countries with a ban, and the people there aren't complaining.

how do you suggest the problem is solved then? Because leaving it up to choice clearly doesn't work. Trying to create seperate areas isn't working either.

Pheobo
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Why don't you just go back to your anti-nicotine thread? We're not not bothering you in there...

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Also, the majority of smokers wants to quit. Banning it in pubs would make it a lot easier for many smokers who want to quit. Now they have to stay away from pubs out of fear from picking up the habit again.

Also, if the link between going out and smoking is broken, far fewer youngsters will pick up the habit.

I understand that it's an addiction, that it's very hard to quit. I'm glad I never started it. We need to prevent youngster from picking up cigarettes in the first place and banning it in pubs would help a great deal.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Also, the majority of smokers wants to quit. Banning it in pubs would make it a lot easier for many smokers who want to quit. Now they have to stay away from pubs out of fear from picking up the habit again.

I do intend to quit some day, but this kind of attitude is not helping at all and in fact is very counterproductive.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:31 PM

BTW, I don't have anything against non-smoking restaurants, just as long as there are ones where smoking is allowed too.

I still love you too even though you stink ;)

And I'm not a nazi. I just hate the fact that every time I go out, all my clothes smell, my hair smells, my eyes are teary and hurt, I hate that when I pay a lot of money for a nice gastronomical meal, it's ruined by a smoker on a table next to me. I hate the fact that there are hardly any non-smoking restaurants in this country, in fact, I've yet to find one, and since I love to try out all sorts of restaurants I have no choice to but brave the smoke. I do tend to leave early, skip dessert, etc if it's too smoky, so these restaurants would actually make more money if they were smoke-free.

I hate that when you're in a group of 10 and there's one smoker, the entire group has to sit in the smoker's section (if there is one).

See, if every restaurant had an actual non-smoking section that was actually smoke-free, I wouldn't be asking for a ban, but it's simply impossible. The smaller restaurants are too small to devide it up in two so it's just the one room.

If all these non-smokers are now braving the smoke to go out, why is everyone so convinced the smokers will stay away when there's a ban? Why must it always be us to give in when it's the smokers who are causing the nuisance?

skanky~skanketta
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Also, if the link between going out and smoking is broken, far fewer youngsters will pick up the habit.

I understand that it's an addiction, that it's very hard to quit. I'm glad I never started it. We need to prevent youngster from picking up cigarettes in the first place and banning it in pubs would help a great deal.that majority actually plan to quit some few years later. :tape:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I do intend to quit some day, but this kind of attitude is not helping at all and in fact is very counterproductive.

I know that when my brother tried to quit, he was helped a lot by the fact that his colleagues had stopped smoking in the office.

I also know that when I suggested we go out for a drink somewhere, he was worried if he'd ben strong enough to resist the temptation.

BTW, he picked up smoking again :(

I also know smokers who quit when it was banned in the workplace. I even know a smoker who quit after all those huge warnings were printed on the packages. I never believed those worked, but there you go, apparently, it did make some smokers quit.

Harju.
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
that majority actually plan to quit some few years later. :tape:
i know. lol. :tape:

hingis-seles
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Okay fuck all this shit about bars.

I've been through phases of Marlboro, Marlboro Medium, Benson & Hedges and Davidoff. Currently, I smoke Marlboro Lights.

Ultra Lights is the equivalent of not smoking. I had one, and it was like air.

Love Davidoff's, but switched to Marlboro Lights, since I want to quit.....slowly. Very slowly.

Oh, and cigarettes are dirt cheap here. It costs me $1 (US) to buy a pack of smokes. If I'm not carrying enough cash, I can even buy a couple of cigs instead of an entire pack for a couple of cents (US).

janko
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm smoking for almost 1O years and have tried many :rolleyes:

Marlboro, Camel, Phillip Morris, Lucky Strike,Chersterfield, red Winfield (the less expensive for 30 cigarettes by that time), JP's and finally stayed many years with blue Gauloises Blondes. In Sovakia I'm smoking Petra's or Sparta's

smoke light cigarettes makes no sense, I need the TASTE of it! ;)

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I still love you too even though you stink ;)

And I'm not a nazi. I just hate the fact that every time I go out, all my clothes smell, my hair smells, my eyes are teary and hurt, I hate that when I pay a lot of money for a nice gastronomical meal, it's ruined by a smoker on a table next to me. I hate the fact that there are hardly any non-smoking restaurants in this country, in fact, I've yet to find one, and since I love to try out all sorts of restaurants I have no choice to but brave the smoke. I do tend to leave early, skip dessert, etc if it's too smoky, so these restaurants would actually make more money if they were smoke-free.

I hate that when you're in a group of 10 and there's one smoker, the entire group has to sit in the smoker's section (if there is one).

See, if every restaurant had an actual non-smoking section that was actually smoke-free, I wouldn't be asking for a ban, but it's simply impossible. The smaller restaurants are too small to devide it up in two so it's just the one room.

If all these non-smokers are now braving the smoke to go out, why is everyone so convinced the smokers will stay away when there's a ban? Why must it always be us to give in when it's the smokers who are causing the nuisance?

I do understand how you feel and I know how inconvenient it can be for non-smokers, or people who are allergic to nicotine.
But I don't see why the idea of smoke-free restaurants would not work. Like I said there should be such places. There should be regulations about this issue, for example that smoke-free restaurants pay lower taxes.
Also, a pub should not get a license if it doesn't have a clearly separated smoking area.
It can be done, but I guess it's much more simple to just ban smoking everywhere.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM
that majority actually plan to quit some few years later. :tape:

Yes, that's my plan as well. :lol:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I do understand how you feel and I know how inconvenient it can be for non-smokers, or people who are allergic to nicotine.
But I don't see why the idea of smoke-free restaurants would not work. Like I said there should be such places. There should be regulations about this issue, for example that smoke-free restaurants pay lower taxes.
Also, a pub should not get a license if it doesn't have a clearly separated smoking area.
It can be done, but I guess it's much more simple to just ban smoking everywhere.

Now that would put an awful lot of restaurants out of business! It's technically impossible in a lot of cases to have a seperate smoking area. We have a lot of small restaurants (those are actually my favs), it's just one room, they can't break it up in two.

Also, like I said, at the moment, restaurants HAVE to have seperate areas, but it's just not implemented because it would put too many restaurants out of business.

It so happens that I'm an engineer and I do HVAC studies day in, day out (HVAC = heating, ventilation, air conditioning). You have no idea of the size of the ventilation shafts needed for smoking areas! A small pub can't afford the cost + it's way too big to fit in a typical old pub.

They've tried several things, none of them work. I feel that the smokers have been given enough chances to improve things, but alas, nothing has changed. The only thing that actually works and is fair for all pubs is a complete ban.

The fact that flying is now smoke-free hasn't stopped smokers from flying, has it?

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:18 PM
haven't smoked for 8 months now :angel: but when i did, i smoked anything. i wasn't fussy :lol:

:lol:

I quit in October. I used to smoke Merit Ultra Light Menthol 100's. I feel better and smell better. However, I still crave it every now and then and when my cousin comes over, my sister and I share one. It tastes just like when I first started. I don't want to indulge too much because I don't want to pick up that nicotine addiction again, but I think every once and a while won't hurt.

I wish we still lived in a smoking society here in the US. I really enjoy smoking and didn't want to give it up, but my father died of lung cancer and my mother is suffering with it, so I felt compelled to quit. Plus, it's become such a social taboo. Anyway, wish I could join you smokers in Europe.

WorldWar24
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM
:lol:

I quit in October. I used to smoke Merit Ultra Light Menthol 100's. I feel better and smell better. However, I still crave it every now and then and when my cousin comes over, my sister and I share one. It tastes just like when I first started. I don't want to indulge too much because I don't want to pick up that nicotine addiction again, but I think every once and a while won't hurt.

I wish we still lived in a smoking society here in the US. I really enjoy smoking and didn't want to give it up, but my father died of lung cancer and my mother is suffering with it, so I felt compelled to quit. Plus, it's become such a social taboo. Anyway, wish I could join you smokers in Europe.

feel free to join us anywhere anytime lol. Btw ifyour family has an increased risk of cancer you should just quit for good. You HAVE to do that cos people aren''t all equally susceptible and if you have a predisposition you must quit

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM

A friend of mine also quit because her father (a non-smoker, BTW) was diagnosed with lung cancer. She still craves it tremendously. She changes channel on TV as soon as she sees someone smoking there. :help:
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I think I'd alos quit if I were in your position.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I'm smoking for almost 1O years and have tried many :rolleyes:

Marlboro, Camel, Phillip Morris, Lucky Strike,Chersterfield, red Winfield (the less expensive for 30 cigarettes by that time), JP's and finally stayed many years with blue Gauloises Blondes. In Sovakia I'm smoking Petra's or Sparta's

smoke light cigarettes makes no sense, I need the TASTE of it! ;)
I think LM Lights have taste :D

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your father, Denise.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
The only thing that actually works and is fair for all pubs is a complete ban.

It may be fair for all pubs, but it's definitely unfair for all people!

Plus, if that is implemented, I'm pretty sure smoking in open air is also going to be banned. And that's something I really don't want to see.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
It may be fair for all pubs, but it's definitely unfair for all people!

Plus, if that is implemented, I'm pretty sure smoking in open air is also going to be banned. And that's something I really don't want to see.
In Poland there are efforts to even ban smoking in balcony!

It would be really awful for me :(

Pszczelny
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM

:fiery:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
You can't please everyone. The current system means the majority has to inhale the smoke of a minority. A ban would mean a minority would have to go outside for a second to get a smoke. Is that really that awful or unfair? I think our current system is unfair. I think it's unfair that I can't take my pregnant sister out! My SIL has a serious heart condition, we can't just go out either because of the smoke. I think that's unfair! All because of a minority with an addiction. An addiction that could have been avoided had such a ban been in place for years.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Here in the city where I live, all of the restaurants ban smoking. Obviously, it bothered me before I quit, but now I don't even notice. Another good thing about quitting. ;)

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM

It would be really awful for me :(

I'll never understand it. It's just too much.

I read that in Norway a man sued his neighbour for smoking in his own appartment. :rolleyes:

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I'll never understand it. It's just too much.

I read that in Norway a man sued his neighbour for smoking in his own appartment. :rolleyes:

The anti-gay marriage folks use similar slippery slope arguments. I don't think those arguments are valid. We're not talking about your apartment here, or your balcony, we're talking about pubs and restaurants, small confined places where a lot of people are gathered.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
These people now don't have a choice, they have to work in smoky environment, whether they like it or not.

What about the potention customers who're now staying away because of the smoke?

I repeat, there are lots of other countries with a ban, and the people there aren't complaining.

how do you suggest the problem is solved then? Because leaving it up to choice clearly doesn't work. Trying to create seperate areas isn't working either.
Actually people did complain here, but after the law went into effect there was nothing they could do but accept it. People have not stopped going to restaurants because they can't smoke. They just go outside when they feel the need to light up.

Pszczelny
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM

noone can stop me :p

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
noone can stop me :p
nawet straż miejska :lol: ?

A serio...to straszny kretynizm, co to kogo obschodzi kto gdzie pali skoro to nie miejsce publiczne :)

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
The anti-gay marriage folks use similar slippery slope arguments. I don't think those arguments are valid. We're not talking about your apartment here, or your balcony, we're talking about pubs and restaurants, small confined places where a lot of people are gathered.

We're not talking about it now, but it will come. I think it already has in NYC, correct me if I'm wrong.

But why not create smoke-free pubs and restaurants? It could be done. Give them subsidies. Lower taxes for them. Put huge signs on places where smoking is allowed, so some poor sould does not wander in by accident.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Okay fuck all this shit about bars.

I've been through phases of Marlboro, Marlboro Medium, Benson & Hedges and Davidoff. Currently, I smoke Marlboro Lights.

Ultra Lights is the equivalent of not smoking. I had one, and it was like air.

Love Davidoff's, but switched to Marlboro Lights, since I want to quit.....slowly. Very slowly.

Oh, and cigarettes are dirt cheap here. It costs me $1 (US) to buy a pack of smokes. If I'm not carrying enough cash, I can even buy a couple of cigs instead of an entire pack for a couple of cents (US).
Wow, they are almost $5 here in the US. I used to pay over $65.00 for a carton.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
but comparing the salaries of people in US and for ex. in Poland - it's about the same cost :)

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Here in the US they've learned that smoking and non-smoking sections don't work because the smoke gets everywhere anyway. So, they decided in some parts of the country to use a very expensive H-Vac system that traps the smoke in the smoking sections and leaves the non-smoking sections smoke free, but in reality the system is too expensive to purchase and maintain so the smoking ban has been going into effect all around the country at a very rapid pace.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
We're not talking about it now, but it will come. I think it already has in NYC, correct me if I'm wrong.

But why not create smoke-free pubs and restaurants? It could be done. Give them subsidies. Lower taxes for them. Put huge signs on places where smoking is allowed, so some poor sould does not wander in by accident.

Because the restaurants that are non smoking would suffer, because unfortunately, if there's one smoker in a group, the entire group has to go the smoker's restaurant.
Also, all restaurants are different. If half of the restaurants are still smoker's restaurants, that would limit my options by half! I love to try out new restaurants, see what the chef has in store for me. I'm not talking about Mac Donalds or something here, but about decent restaurants with a skillfull chef. A smoker's restaurant would be a very smoky place, I fear, even more than they are now and it would truly become unbearable.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Now that would put an awful lot of restaurants out of business! It's technically impossible in a lot of cases to have a seperate smoking area. We have a lot of small restaurants (those are actually my favs), it's just one room, they can't break it up in two.

Also, like I said, at the moment, restaurants HAVE to have seperate areas, but it's just not implemented because it would put too many restaurants out of business.

It so happens that I'm an engineer and I do HVAC studies day in, day out (HVAC = heating, ventilation, air conditioning). You have no idea of the size of the ventilation shafts needed for smoking areas! A small pub can't afford the cost + it's way too big to fit in a typical old pub.

They've tried several things, none of them work. I feel that the smokers have been given enough chances to improve things, but alas, nothing has changed. The only thing that actually works and is fair for all pubs is a complete ban.

The fact that flying is now smoke-free hasn't stopped smokers from flying, has it?
:lol: Wow, we're on the same wave-length in thought.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
+ what about the smaller towns with only a few restaurants (some have only one high class restaurant)?

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM
feel free to join us anywhere anytime lol. Btw ifyour family has an increased risk of cancer you should just quit for good. You HAVE to do that cos people aren''t all equally susceptible and if you have a predisposition you must quit
Thanks :D Yeah, one of the reasons I quit, but it's hard to give it up completely. You still get the cravings.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine also quit because her father (a non-smoker, BTW) was diagnosed with lung cancer. She still craves it tremendously. She changes channel on TV as soon as she sees someone smoking there. :help:
I'm sorry to hear about your father. I think I'd alos quit if I were in your position.

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I don't smoke but I like the smell of cigarattes on a person for some reason which makes me believe I was a smoker in a previous life. :tape:

WorldWar24
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks :D Yeah, one of the reasons I quit, but it's hard to give it up completely. You still get the cravings.

of course you do. It's hard to stop at once. And what works out for many may not work for you. Some people stop smoking for good, then have a ciggy and fall right back. It's better to keep things balanced. It's no biggy smoking one once in a while as long as you don't take it as a defeat

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM

I don't know about NY, but I know that Boston has a ban on smoking in public places.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Because the restaurants that are non smoking would suffer, because unfortunately, if there's one smoker in a group, the entire group has to go the smoker's restaurant.
Also, all restaurants are different. If half of the restaurants are still smoker's restaurants, that would limit my options by half! I love to try out new restaurants, see what the chef has in store for me. I'm not talking about Mac Donalds or something here, but about decent restaurants with a skillfull chef. A smoker's restaurant would be a very smoky place, I fear, even more than they are now and it would truly become unbearable.

Well, first of all, not all smokers are that pushy, I would gladly go to a smoke-free restaurant with my friends who don't smoke. But I want to be able to go to one where smoking is allowed.
We'll have to disagree about the rest. I believe that in this case, segregation would be possible. And only fair. :p

meyerpl
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I got badrepped for this, with the comment, "This is the stupidest advice ever given." :lol:

Apparently, this person missed my advice about heroin use.

Joana
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Besides, I think it's hypocritical to ban smoking everywhere, but go on selling cigarettes and make $$$ of it.

KV
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Also, all restaurants are different. If half of the restaurants are still smoker's restaurants, that would limit my options by half! I love to try out new restaurants, see what the chef has in store for me. I'm not talking about Mac Donalds or something here, but about decent restaurants with a skillfull chef. A smoker's restaurant would be a very smoky place, I fear, even more than they are now and it would truly become unbearable.With one smoker in a group, all going to the smokers restaurant. Highly doubt it. I just would go outside and smoke there like others too. To try out new restaurants, if you know Kortijk well. You can find there a non-smoking restaurant. Can't help to explain where it's exactly situated. Slightly bigger than a small one. You could call it pretty posh. Pretty sure you'll find out yourself.

Denise4925
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I got badrepped for this, with the comment, "This is the stupidest advice ever given." :lol:

Apparently, this person missed my advice about heroin use.
:lol: Some people have no sense of humor ;)

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hurrah, one restaurant in an entire city? You think that's a success?

I would be all for segregation if it actually worked. Segregation is currently the rule, yet in practice, that's not how it is. Segretation doesn't work.

adam_ads_n
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Besides, I think it's hypocritical to ban smoking everywhere, but go on selling cigarettes and make $$$ of it.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM
With one smoker in a group, all going to the smokers restaurant. Highly doubt it.

It's true though. I'm often treated to dinner for all sorts of occasions, by different firms, when a building is finished. Quite often, it's the one who's paying who's the one smoker, so obviously, I don't dare say that it disturbs me. I just have to live with it. I could stay indoors all day, you know, but that's not exactly an interesting life, is it? And besides, networking is really important in my line of work. And so I often don't have a say in the choice of restaurants.

I remember once when we were a group of 15 and we were just remarking on how wonderful it was how none of us smoked, when one person spoke up and said, "so I'm the only smoker here? Wow" and with a big smile he lit a cigarette.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I doubt those extra $$$ make up for the higher costs of health care.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Anyway, it's been an interesting discussion, I'm off to bed now. I just want to clarify that I don't hate smokers, I just hate smoke.

And yes, I despair about the situation here because even the majority is in favour of a ban, it's not going to happen because nearly all our politicians are chain smokers.

gentenaire
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I started that thread because people here said we had to start our own. But then I read the part about the ban in pubs and felt I had to correct the false statements that were made.
Besides, I love discussions and discussions aren't fun when everyone is agreeing with eachother.

fifiricci
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I doubt those extra $$$ make up for the higher costs of health care.

Oh but they do! Its a well known fact that smokers can die way younger than people who don't (simplistically of course, it actually depends on your constitution and the dose of ciggies you are on). So you have to take into account the fact that smokers (in the UK at least) donate roughly 80% of the ciggy price to The Treasury. That's about £4 or I dunno 6 euros maybe for every packet of ciggies sold every day! That's a tidy sum! I can't swear that all or any of that goes to funding our health service, of course, but that's not the smoker's fault!! Whatever happens, the smoker dies younger, having a shortish spell of health care provided while they are ill. But the really important point is that because the smoker dies younger, they save the government/welfare system gazillions by the fact that they are dead and not therefore claiming state pension/added healthcare/ and a place in the Happy Valley Home for the Bewildered and Generally Gaga until they are about 133! I won't even start to imagine the cost of incontinence pads for all those ancient weed avoiding wrinklies.

Everyone is living far too long as it is, the western world is overrun by sodding pensioners. I reckon smoking or some other age curbing agent should be forced on people or put in the water!

You should be bloody thankful that the smokers die young and leave more room for you sanctimonious non smokers who will have to grow old and die of something much more slow and horrendous like alzheimers or senile dementia in the Happy Valley Home for the Permanently Bewildered and Very Old Non Smokers, whilst all the smokers will already be in heaven having wild smoking and drinking parties on big puffy clouds of smoke!

:nerner:

esquímaux
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Ciggies in Singapore are very expensiveNo kidding. And I like the way ya'll put graphic pictures (dead babies, etc.) on the cigarette packs :eek::tape::o

Harju.
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
No kidding. And I like the way ya'll put graphic pictures (dead babies, etc.) on the cigarette packs :eek::tape::o
tell me about it :tape:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/felixk/cbbf.jpg
BTW. Coffee + Ciggies = Heaven :drool:.

pla
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Oh yes :worship:

Joana
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Ooooh yeah :drool:

adam_ads_n
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Can't disagree :D

hingis-seles
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM

It's insane how expensive cigarettes are abroad. When I was in Canada and buying cigarettes (Du Maurier :tape: ), they were really expensive in comparison.

hingis-seles
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Best. Combo. Ever. :drool:

Tennisballova
Jun 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Marlboro lights.

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Ooooh yeah :drool:
Oh my... :sad: I miss it so much.

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I gotta stay out of this thread :bolt:

adam_ads_n
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:54 PM
bump :D

Mr_Molik
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Malboro Reds

Mr_Molik
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
wow im really craving a smoke after reading this thread :o and im trying to cut down.
the worst thing is when someone is smoking on tv. :help:

Pheobo
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:34 AM

*orgasm*

Bacardi
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Marlboro Lights :o

I like Parlament Lights thou ;)

Pheobo
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I prefer my cigarettes with a nice, cold beer. It's the best.

Preferably Corona.

Andrew..
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Kool Menthol Lights. Used to smoke Marlboro Light 100's.

esquímaux
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:56 AM

BTW. Coffee + Ciggies = Heaven :drool:.*DEAD* @ the equation :lol: I can definitely go for a raspberry mocha kiss right about now :kiss:

WorldWar24
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Oh but they do! Its a well known fact that smokers can die way younger than people who don't (simplistically of course, it actually depends on your constitution and the dose of ciggies you are on). So you have to take into account the fact that smokers (in the UK at least) donate roughly 80% of the ciggy price to The Treasury. That's about £4 or I dunno 6 euros maybe for every packet of ciggies sold every day! That's a tidy sum! I can't swear that all or any of that goes to funding our health service, of course, but that's not the smoker's fault!! Whatever happens, the smoker dies younger, having a shortish spell of health care provided while they are ill. But the really important point is that because the smoker dies younger, they save the government/welfare system gazillions by the fact that they are dead and not therefore claiming state pension/added healthcare/ and a place in the Happy Valley Home for the Bewildered and Generally Gaga until they are about 133! I won't even start to imagine the cost of incontinence pads for all those ancient weed avoiding wrinklies.

Everyone is living far too long as it is, the western world is overrun by sodding pensioners. I reckon smoking or some other age curbing agent should be forced on people or put in the water!

You should be bloody thankful that the smokers die young and leave more room for you sanctimonious non smokers who will have to grow old and die of something much more slow and horrendous like alzheimers or senile dementia in the Happy Valley Home for the Permanently Bewildered and Very Old Non Smokers, whilst all the smokers will already be in heaven having wild smoking and drinking parties on big puffy clouds of smoke!

:nerner:

great anylisis!

We smokers should be worshiped! I hadn't thought about that lol

hingis-seles
Jun 17th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Viva Smokers :banana:

Nothing like having a smoke to relax after a long day at work. :smoke:

Mr_Molik
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:34 PM
= )

Harju.
Jun 18th, 2006, 01:21 AM