PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros - Women tennis - Mats Wilander view

poldame
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hello all,

I have found those interview from Mats Wilander about the woman tennis game:
- about the Final: http://matswilander.com/media/audio/WomansFinal.wma (audio only)
- about the semi-fianl: http://matswilander.com/media/video/Mats_WomansSemisJune082006.wmv (audio and video)

It's seems realy interesting to me.
What do you thing about it ?

Polame

clonesheep
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Can someone transcribe what he said? I have trouble running the audio/video applications for this one.

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Hello all,

I have found those interview from Mats Wilander about the woman tennis game:
- about the Final: http://matswilander.com/media/audio/WomansFinal.wma (audio only)
- about the semi-fianl: http://matswilander.com/media/video/Mats_WomansSemisJune082006.wmv (audio and video)

It's seems realy interesting to me.
What do you thing about it ?

Polame

That clip about the final is so trippy, he's got his song playing in the background as he's talking about the game :lol: And I'm pretty sure he had a glass of wine or two or three beforehand :drink:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:50 AM
That clip about the final is so trippy, he's got his song playing in the background as he's talking about the game :lol: And I'm pretty sure he had a glass of wine or two or three beforehand :drink:

You mean BOTTLE :tape: :p

poldame
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM
it would be difficult to transcript it easly the semi final video is about 25 minutes.
The sound is not perfect, appently he is in a french bar in Paris !

I use Vlc (www.videolan.org/vlc/ ) and even if i do not understand 100% of it, i would say 80-90% was ok. (and english is not my mother tongue langage)

My understanding, if i would sumarize is that Mats Wilander said that the problem today with women tennis (50% of the girl on tour) do not understand the game of tennis. He say that tennis is not about trying making winner, it's not about playing a nice shot or enjoying to play well, but is about mind, about game plan, about playing with someone in the other part of the net, about find a way with heart and guts to win.
He gave one example when he was the coach of Marat Safin, Mats Wilander said that the first thing he told him was that what happen (the way Marat played) during his first grand slam final against Sampras (USOPen 2001 won by Safin) will never happen again, this way.

I hope this helps,
Poldame

Reuchlin
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:59 AM
it would be difficult to transcript it easly the semi final video is about 25 minutes.
The sound is not perfect, appently he is in a french bar in Paris !

I use Vlc (www.videolan.org/vlc/ ) and even if i do not understand 100% of it, i would say 80-90% was ok. (and english is not my mother tongue langage)

My understanding, if i would sumarize is that Mats Wilander said that the problem today with women tennis (50% of the girl on tour) do not understand the game of tennis. He say that tennis is not about trying making winner, it's not about playing a nice shot or enjoying to play well, but is about mind, about game plan, about playing with someone in the other part of the net, about find a way with heart and guts to win.
He gave one example when he was the coach of Marat Safin, Mats Wilander said that the first thing he told him was that what happen (the way Marat played) during his first grand slam final against Sampras (USOPen 2001 won by Safin) will never happen again, this way.

I hope this helps,
Poldame

I dont' get the Safin Usopen comment?

poldame
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Mats Wilander made a comment about Safin in the semi final video (http://matswilander.com/media/video/Mats_WomansSemisJune082006.wmv) somewhere in the midle of the video.

Poldame

Lenafan
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:42 AM
Although he did say the same thing many times over, it was great. It shows that Wilander still loves the game and makes many valid points - chief among them the state of coaching or lacktherof in the women's game. That most of the players have no plan B or other tactics to go to and just like to hit the ball hard and if things don't look good they look up to the stands like a lost puppy.

He says so few of the women's players today think of a different ways to win when their game is not going well. The others he mentioned were Serena and Henin. He says Sharapova does have the mental side but just doesn't have the variety in her game yet to take advantage of this. I like what he is saying because there is a reason that Serena has won ever Grand Slam tournament. She's a great fighter who figures out how to win even when she's not playing her best. He didn't mention Hingis as having IT, but she does IMO and probably the reason she came back is because most of the players on the tour who are blessed with terrific skills play brainless tennis and Hingis could exploit it.

On the subject of Henin, he pointed out that she is dominant on clay but in the 3 years she has lost, she has attributed losses to virues and injuries and never gives credit to her opponents.

On the subject of Kuznetsova, he thinks in 3 years she will be the #1 player.

On the subject Vaidisova he feels might have the best forehand he has ever seen. He was critical of how easily a few points affected her and how she like many on the tour didn't have a Plan B when faced with adversity, but i think by his tone he sees very BIG things in Vaidisova's future.

It is frustrating because many of my favorite players of the tour are heavy hitters and then look up at the stands if things don't go well and say "vamos" if things go well. Mats was expressing a concern of this disturbing trend. He is stating that when it's 5-5 in the 3rd set of the tiebreaker is hitting the ball hard the only strategy? I He talks about how someone like Nadal will never miss a forehand when the game is on the line. I don't think Henin played her best tennis at this French and she admitted it as much but she was smart enough to figure out how to win and the fact that she won the French without dropping a set and admitting she didn't play her best seems to confirm Wilander's points.

On Clijsters, he basically said what a lot of people are thinking that she barely even showed up and maybe she is not into the tennis game anymore.

The semis was long but if you are a big tennis fan of the women's circuit, it's definitely worth a listen. Hope this helps.

MisterQ
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
:lol: It's so funny to have that music in the background.

Mats has a brilliant tennis mind. It's always great to hear his thoughts. (which are generally spot-on)

Lenafan
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:03 AM
For some reason that music kept making me think of Patty's bizarro website.

azmad_88
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM
he actually predicted at the start of the week that amelie will win RG

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Please Wilander, Yeah Henin should really have given Kapros and Garbin tons more compliments than she did because they were super! Oh and she should have given Clijsters so much more credit for the win.lol.

Can Matt and other journalists, deliver an article backed by great facts in its entirety?

I agree about the lack of variety in womens' tennis. it is sorely lacking. I think Serena's biggest weapon is angled precise power with a HUGE will and BELIEF to win. But her game does lack alot of variety herself.

Most of the players that do have plans B and C are overpowered on any given day so..lol

V-MAC
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Mats :worship: I hope he is on the commentating team for the BBC at Wimbledon this year, he was great at RG for Eurosport.

TF Chipmunk
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM
:lol: He sounds so funny :p