PDA

View Full Version : optical illusion

Sally Struthers
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
http://www.johnsadowski.com/big_spanish_castle.html

:eek:

stevos
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Wow I stared at that for a while! I wanna see it in colour without looking at the dot, lol so frustrating!

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
:eek: That's crazy! I think it's your brain anticipating what you think you're going to see, I think :scratch:

Cool though :D

Martian Stacey
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM
huh, how weird! :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:52 AM
We've seen such a thing in physics, the color (like blue) and the yellow makes a mix in our eyes somewhere. I wasn't sleeping at all during that class :p

meggz_star
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Cool :D

Kenny
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
That's amazing!!! I love optics!

TF Chipmunk
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:37 AM
:eek: I feel :cuckoo: :o

rebel_ffighter
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:26 AM
wow!

esquímaux
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Wow, absolutely awesome :D :D :D I was expecting it to be one of those things where you stare and after 30 seconds something jumps out and startles you, but :hearts: Sugoi desu ne :yeah:

controlfreak
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Basically it's your eyes/brain overcompensating when you switch away from the colours you've been staring at. For example, the sky is yellow, so when you stare at it your brain begins to overcompensate by adding the optical opposite of yellow, which is blue. When you switch to the greyscale image it take a few seconds for the blue-adding process to turn off.

You can achieve a similar effect by staying in a darkened room for 30 seconds, and then stepping out into bright sunlight. Your eyes overcompensate for the amount of light present and everything looks really bright for a while. The same happens in the other direction, which is why it takes some time to see in the dark well.

These real-world situations involve white light which comprises all the different wavelengths/colours. But your brain can process each wavelength individually and compensate for colours as well as light intensity - like when you put on a pair of yellow-tinted sunglasses, wear them for a while, forget you have them on, then take them off and everything looks blue. That's what's happening in this optical illusion.

Pengwin
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
:crazy: