PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have played on a Grass Court before ?

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Personally...i have never played on a Grass Court. There are very few here in the United States :sad: I would like to play on one someday though :bounce:

Tatanka
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
nope....

mirzalover
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
i have

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Once, and I didn't win a game!!! It was awful, the bounce was terrible and the ball never came to where I thought it would. I ended up stretching for easy shots!!! The rematch had to be played on a hard court :lol:

UDACHi
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Nope. Maybe in the next few years, though. :hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Once, and I didn't win a game!!! It was awful, the bounce was terrible and the ball never came to where I thought it would. I ended up stretching for easy shots!!! The rematch had to be played on a hard court :lol:

:lol: ... Did u win that one ? ;)

moon
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I have. It's fun!
It's one of the reasons I like Wimbledon so much. :)

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I played on fake grass here, it was, hum, very weird ;)

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM
:lol: ... Did u win that one ? ;)

I lost 6-4 6-3 (I was leading 3-1 in the 2nd set before I started double faulting :sad: )

but it was closer, I had break points in every game except for one ;)

hingisGOAT
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
yeah, just go to ocean city new jeyzee, there's grass courts everywhere

Derek.
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I've played on synthetic grass in Mexico, but that's it. I've never played on realy grass. It's too hard to find a grass court to play on here in the U.S. :(

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM
I lost 6-4 6-3 (I was leading 3-1 in the 2nd set before I started double faulting :sad: )

but it was closer, I had break points in every game except for one ;)

Your nerves got the better of you :sad: :sad: :p

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Your nerves got the better of you :sad: :sad: :p

:lol: I haven't been able to serve properly since I was 15 (im 20 now) For some reason I can't help double faulting. I'm not really a good player anyways, but it's very annoying. I was kinda impressed that I only lost my serve once in the first set :cool:

Couver
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Once, and it was terrible. You cannot play on grass unless you're a strong player or at least don't play someone bigger or stronger than you. The points are too fast. I thought it would be slower than a HC but I was sooo wrong. Owned end of story LOL.

RJWCapriati
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Never have

Andy.
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah i have and its awesome, it really suits my game. Probably my favourite surface.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I haven't but I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to try. My flat, powerful strokes would suit it very well, I think. I love fast carpet courts, so I'm assuming I'd love grass too. Most of my faves excel on it too. :cool:

Chris 84
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I have a few times.....and I dislike it to be honest (I usually win though :p )

SpikeyAidanm
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Yeh at the Geelong Grass Champs, grass is great play on, it's so different to other surfaces.

borisy
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Nope. Maybe in the next few years, though. :hearts:

Bah. You wouldn't be able to win one single point on grass.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I grew up playing on grass, and I still hate it. :o

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I have a few times.....and I dislike it to be honest (I usually win though :p )

:rolleyes: ... :lol: ...Not if you played me :p

switz
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:31 AM
i played most of my early tennis on grass at my club. I don't mind it as a surface because i get plenty of purchase from my serve on it and my volleys are pretty strong, but i like playing doubles on it now i'm a little older.

We're lucky enough to have 12 grass courts at White City (where the Adidas International was formerly held). Then there are the rebound acem synthetic grass and "clay" court.

Wiggly
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM

I palyed on the same fake grass I think :p

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:00 AM
I palyed on the same fake grass I think :p

M aybe you played against each other and didn;t even know it! :p ?? :p

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Synthetic grass, yes but not played on real one :p

Mr_Molik
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:03 AM
yes i hated it
but they were really poorly maintained courts

¤CharlDa¤
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM
M aybe you played against each other and didn;t even know it! :p ?? :p
It was the same indeed :lol:

BTW Heath, i don't know what happened with my email, i can't rep ya cause I need to spread lol. do you remember my old nickname from here? if so, get rid of the 1 at the end and add hotmail.com ;)

SM
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, i played at the courts at wodonga where then they had the 10k tournament a few years ago.

Its not that bad..but the court wasnt maintained very well..

ive played on synthetic heaps of times, and it suits me. im always rushing to finish points, on anything short, so i like it

Berlin_Calling
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:13 AM
i grew up on synthetic grass courts, but ive played on the real deal the times i went to Saddlebrook. i love it.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM
We're lucky enough to have 12 grass courts at White City (where the Adidas International was formerly held). Then there are the rebound acem synthetic grass and "clay" court.

Yeah, that's the same here, except we have 52 grass courts, 3 synthetic grass and like 10 ''clay'' courts, which is basically red/orange gravel. :o

Sharapova's_Boy
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah, i played at the courts at wodonga where then they had the 10k tournament a few years ago.

Its not that bad..but the court wasnt maintained very well..

ive played on synthetic heaps of times, and it suits me. im always rushing to finish points, on anything short, so i like it

Yeah, the courts aren't that great. But still, they're better than Yarrawonga yet it always gets the 10K event.

:sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah, that's the same here, except we have 52 grass courts, 3 synthetic grass and like 10 ''clay'' courts, which is basically red/orange gravel. :o

:lol: Sounds like somthing FRED FLINTSTONE would play on :p

Drake1980
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I have played on grass a few times. We actually have the oldest grass courts in Canada here on Vancouver Island. It's a very nice little tennis club with 7 grass courts.

MisterQ
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I haven't. :sad: I'm dying to try it!

dany.p
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
i grew up playing on synthetic grass. Its an alright surface, if you can get used to the weird bounce but the sand can be so annoying, getting in your socks and shoes. Thats probably the only reason i dislike it :o

Hardcourt still my fav, Although i would love to play more on clay

crazyroberto6767
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:18 AM
I've played on grass a few times. It suits my game because I have flat strokes. I found it quite enjoyable to play on once I got used to the bounce and got my footing.

gillibean
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:22 AM
yes hated it - real grass that is, synthetic grass is awsome

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:51 AM
I've played on one of two grass courts they have at Saddlebrook. The points were way too short for my liking. After the 7th or 8th shot in a rally (maximum), someone made a winner or an error. I ended up just rushing the net on every first serve I made and chip-and-charging on every return possible. That ended up working pretty well.

This was seven years ago, back when I was 13. He was the #2 14-and-under player from Kuwait, and I ended up losing 6-3 7-5. That's not saying a ton though. The kid really wasn't that good. They had him play against a top 20 nationally ranked 11 year old the following day and he got double bageled lol.

bello
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM
yep..synthetic and real

Mightymirza
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM
i wish i had played on grass....But I have played on a wierd surface on which ball skidds and is veryy fasttt..Prolly faster than grass..But no uneven bounces..Kinda likesurface used for volleyball courts :tape:

LucasArg
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:43 AM
There are soo few grasscourt in Argentina I don't think I will get to play in my life:p

champion88
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Yeh I play on grass loads- we have 6 grass courts at my club :woohoo:

Also, there area couple of of other grass court ratings tournamnets in my area, which is cool.

margaret_gn
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
yep I have at uni. as is the general impression, points ended too quickly and since I was never a good volleyer I really much prefer hardcourts or synthetics. that said, grass courts always look the nicest and most 'posh' out of the other surfaces :)

So Disrespectful
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM
I was coached on synthetic grass for a year and I've played some matches on the real stuff too. It's very hard to get your rhythm going, and I don't really like it that much to be honest. It seems very glamorous on TV and all, but it doesn't suit too many players at all.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
yeah the local courts i play on are grass courts
id say im pretty good on them i normally win most of my matches

tucker1989
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Yes, a few times, most recently at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI. The courts were beautifully maintained and it was a lot of fun!

controlfreak
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I've played on grass... but never on a grass court. :smoke: ;)

alfajeffster
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I have played on grass a few times. We actually have the oldest grass courts in Canada here on Vancouver Island. It's a very nice little tennis club with 7 grass courts.

I've always wanted to play on those courts! I understand every year they have an exhibition where the players (actors of sorts) dress up in the long trousers and skirts, and use the old (heavy) wooden frames- kind of like a historical thing. I actually volunteered one year for it, but couldn't make the trip from the East Coast happen.

I'm fortunate to be in the Philadelphia area. We have, of course, the Merion Cricket Club (which I've not played), as well as the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Chestnut Hill, and the Germantown Cricket Club in Germantown (both of which I've played many times). I really like the Chestnut Hill facility, however, the lawns are pretty lush and slippery compared to the Germantown grass, which is clipped shorter and bounces faster.

If anyone here in the USA wants to play on grass, make your way to the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI. It's open to the public, and for a nominal fee (I think something like $30 an hour) you can play on their beatiful and historic grass courts. I LOVE GRASS (can you tell?) Imagine playing barefoot tennis on a beautiful June day...:hearts:

Klaudia
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I played on the Wimbledon grass courts two years ago. I was there with my sister while she was playing the juniors.

Klaudia
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
They were amazing courts!

SelesFan70
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I have! It was fun and VERY fast! :eek: My 2-hands on both sides did me no favors! I have also played on a "synthetic outdoor grass" and it was even faster with very little bounce! I do manage to win a few games, but haven't played on it in a while because my friend dind't pay his club dues and doesn't have access to those courts anymore. :o

Prizeidiot
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Yeah... I'd say anyone who plays in Australia has probably played on synthetic grass... and for the record... it's nothing like real grass. The bounce is relatively even, the courts are slow, and the snad lets you slide.

I also play on real grass at uni, but unfortunately, the grasses turn to crap if you keep playing on them. It gets very quick, and ridiculously uneven, but that does make it very rewarding for a serve and volley style of game.

ceiling_fan
Jun 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
fake grass is completely different to real its funny :lol:

Dani12
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Fake grass in my town is all I know. In the city they are hard.