PDA

View Full Version : Is British Soul music better than American Soul Music?

Wannabeknowitall
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I've always been an open-minded person but I never could imagine that British Soul music was as good or even better than American Soul music. As the years have gone by and America continues to lower it's standards though, I could not get the thought out of my head while listening to The Brand New Heavies' latest release, Get Used To It. Their acid jazz/funk/soul sound leaves those that listen to it yearning for a simplier time in music. So have those overseas (The Brand New Heavies with Nicole Russo or N'Dea Davenport, Floetry, Joss Stone, Corine Bailey Rae, etc) eclipsed those back in the states (Jill Scott, Musiq, Erykah Badu, India Aire etc.)? Discuss.

Viktymise
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Well i love Corinne Bailey Rae her voice is so smooth and sensual and sings so harmoniously and beutifully particualrly on her opening track "Like a star", her album is really good despite alot of ppl saying its overhyped its better than some of the other completly overhyped stuff out there by ppl like Sandie Thom. But in the US i love Leela James she singis with alot of raw passion and her voice is so husky and powerful its mesmerising, her album was 1 of the best frm last yr i thought, its tough to choose between the 2 but i would be slightly still inclined towards US but its much closer that it has ever been before

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Corinne and Joss are so overrated!!! I can't stand them!

And Floetry is half UK, half US.

I prefer American sould music to British!!! India, Erykah, Jill, D'Angelo, Musiq, Bilal > than UK soul!!!!

BCP
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM
It all comes done to personal taste. I have preferred UK Soul music for over 20 years now, from Loose Ends, to Soul II Soul, Young Disciples/Carleen Andreson, Shara Nelson/Massive Attack, BNH, Mica Paris, Incognito, JTQ, D'Influence to the present days hopefuls, Lynden David Hall (RIP), Terri Walker, Nate James, Avani, and so on.

There's no doubt that there are still some great American artists like Erykah, Jill, Angie Stone, and John Legend, but I see these artists more as poets, while the UK artist are more about melodies and song structures. Plus US soul takes itself very seriously, while the UK version is about fun, and living life to the full. I think though that black UK artists have a lot of problems getting exposure, even locally, and hence have trouble staying signed to major record labels,a nd hence sustaining a long career. This is because British kids look to America for their soul and urban soul music..... which is very disappointing. If you live in London, check out who's playing at the Jazz Cafe from time to time, and tune into Mica Paris' s Soul Solutions show on Radio 2 when it's on.

For me personally, the whole American Urban music has been in rapid decline since the emergence of bling culture.

PS an acid jazz revival is LONG overdue..........

azdaja
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:24 PM
no.

the best black uk music is more closely related to dance music genres and raggae than to traditional american soul or hip hop.

BCP
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
no.

the best black uk music is more closely related to dance music genres and raggae than to traditional american soul or hip hop.

I'm not sure that this is true. Most roads lead back to Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklin on both sides of the Atlantic. Many of the UK soul artists are remixed by record companies, but so are the American artists. I do agree though that reggae is more an influence in the UK.

I just re-read your comment which starts with "the best", which I guess makes it all subjective............

Dawn Marie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM
No. They are both alike and yet different. I like them both but in different ways. I wouldn't thik one is better then the other.

LegionArgentina
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Traditional Soul (Aretha Franklin, Mahalia Jackson,Otis Redding,James Brown) all of them from US. They are legends.

Neo Soul i think UK is better

azdaja
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure that this is true. Most roads lead back to Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklin on both sides of the Atlantic. Many of the UK soul artists are remixed by record companies, but so are the American artists. I do agree though that reggae is more an influence in the UK.

I just re-read your comment which starts with "the best", which I guess makes it all subjective............
yes, it is subjective, but if i had to choose between american and uk soul or american and uk hip hop, i would choose the american ones. but overall i probably prefer the fusion of dance and reggae elements in the uk music in general to anything else. and of course it does not mean that traditional soul, jazz and hip hop have no influence in the uk.

BCP
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Without a doubt, the soul community is small, and while British artists have always been influenced by their American cousins, it seems that some American artists are also influenced by British artists. Not sure whether anyone caught Trevor Nelson's 3 part series Soul Nation a couple of years ago, but India Arie recounted how much she and her friends were influenced by Omar. She said that "There's nothing like this" is one of her favourite records ever, and she flew to London to see Omar at some festival. She was appalled that the stage that Omar was performing on was almost empty, and only when Omar broke into There's Nothing Like This that the crowd began to respond. She was very funny when she said that she felt like saying to the crowd "Appreciate Omar more!"

fifiricci
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Why does one have to be "better" than the other, for heaven's sake? Can't you just enjoy the music for what it is? :rolleyes:
I will say, though, that Soul II Soul were a fucking awesome band :devil:

GracefulVenus
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I would have to so the US's is better, only because I am more familiar with it.

Monica_Rules
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Back to life back to reality. Classic:)

I really like Corinne Bailey-Rae, at first i was dissapointed with her album after loving Put your records on but its a grower.

Prefered Joss Stones covers album than her own stuff.

Barrie_Dude
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:50 PM
The Brits Have No Soul! :scared:

Dana Marcy
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM
For me personally, the whole American Urban music has been in rapid decline since the emergence of bling culture.

I know what you're saying and agree with it. :yeah:

The thing is that the spirit of the R&B that we love from back in the day is still there in Jill, Erykah and Maxwell music (and lots of others). The problem is that the bling culture made R&B unpopular. :( I'm 37 and when I was 12, 13, 14 I liked music that was on the level of Jill and the others but today's teenager is NOT feelin it because of the shallowness of hip hop. It seems today that if you're young and you can only like music by young artists (Ciara, Beyonce, Usher, etc). At least that's how I feel about hip hop. :sad: Teenagers who like other kind of music may feel differently. :shrug:

Rocketta
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I didn't know they were in a competition. :scratch:

spartanfan
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:50 AM
To me good music is good music no matter where it originates. In the past couple of months I've fallen back in love with the BNH and N'dea Davenport, she has an awesome voice.

partbrit
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM
If you're talking about current music, I'm not aware that America even has any soul music. What passes for it is not, in my opinion, anything like soul music. Not really familiar with modern Brit soul music (Annie Lennox, however, is one of my favorite soul singers).

Jakeev
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have to echo what some others have expressed. It's hard to compare the two because the experiences and influences are just different.

You can really tell the difference if you spent one day listening to American Soul and then UK Soul the next.