PDA

View Full Version : Women's final draws 1.7, down from 2005

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:07 PM
PARIS (AP) - The French Open women's final between Justine Henin-Hardenne of Belgium and Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia drew a 1.7 overnight rating and 5 share on NBC.

That was down from a 1.9 rating and 6 share in 2005, when Henin-Hardenne beat Mary Pierce of France. But it was the same as in 2004, when Anastasia Myskina defeated Elena Dementieva in an all-Russian final.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM
A 1.7 rating in the US equals about 2 millions viewers. Not to shabby. ;) I wonder what a Sharapova VS Venus FINAL would have drawn ;)

Derek.
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:09 PM
It goes down almost every year. :o

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:43 PM
It goes down almost every year. :o

Most years Wimbledon and the US OPEN draw about double the amount of the French :eek:

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Plus last year was up from the previous year.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Plus last year was up from the previous year.

I wonder what the rating was for the all williams final here in the us . I would also like to know the rating the year JEN won :D

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Just for the record the mens final scores a 2.1 rating. Slightly better then last years 2.0 :D I thought it would do bette with such an all star match :eek:

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM
All that promotion for Nadal and Fed really worked, I guess. PLus no WC :)

MH0861
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I wonder what the rating was for the all williams final here in the us . I would also like to know the rating the year JEN won :D

This is what I could find...

Serena/Venus '02:

NBC's telecast of Anastasia Myskina's 59-minute, straight-set victory over Elena Dementieva on Saturday drew an overnight rating of 1.7 and a 5 share.

Last year's final, in which Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Kim Clijsters in straight sets for her first Grand Slam title, produced a 2.3 rating and 7 share. That was about a 40% drop from the 2002 French Open championship match, in which Serena Williams beat her sister Venus.

So, it did around a 3.8.

Capriati '01:

NBC's taped telecast of Jennifer Capriati's marathon victory in the French Open final Saturday produced a 3.3 overnight. That's a 43 percent improvement from 2000 when no American made the semifinals in Paris for the first time in the Open era but 13 percent lower than 1999.

azmad_88
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:39 AM
wow....its dropping rapidly

azmad_88
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:39 AM
but world cup is going on..u cant really compare though...

MH0861
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:49 AM
wow....its dropping rapidly

It's sad, but Americans usually won't watch tennis unless an American is in the final. Hence, even though the ATP final was a mouthwatering matchup for tennis fans, for the typical American public, it wasn't must-see TV.. hence the rating was pretty stagnant.

It goes to show the real star power the Williams sisters have here in the US.

Tennis Fool
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:52 AM
All that promotion for Nadal and Fed really worked, I guess. PLus no WC :)
Actually that's 500,000 more people, I believe. But of course, an Agassi/Blake final would have been gangbusters.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:54 AM
This is what I could find...

Serena/Venus '02:

NBC's telecast of Anastasia Myskina's 59-minute, straight-set victory over Elena Dementieva on Saturday drew an overnight rating of 1.7 and a 5 share.

Last year's final, in which Justine Henin-Hardenne beat Kim Clijsters in straight sets for her first Grand Slam title, produced a 2.3 rating and 7 share. That was about a 40% drop from the 2002 French Open championship match, in which Serena Williams beat her sister Venus.

So, it did around a 3.8.

Capriati '01:

NBC's taped telecast of Jennifer Capriati's marathon victory in the French Open final Saturday produced a 3.3 overnight. That's a 43 percent improvement from 2000 when no American made the semifinals in Paris for the first time in the Open era but 13 percent lower than 1999.

BOTH were IMPRESSIVE!! :worship:

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:57 AM
This is what the WTA tour/USTA need to work on. They need to promote the women on tour, not the just a select few.

And it does make sense that the USA will tune in for their own. I think the US is more about their own winning , than the sport itself. And that goes for any sport.

Lenafan
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Well the Williams sisters were the reason the US Open went primetime and they changed their Super Saturday format which had the the first mens semis followed by the women's final followed by the men semis. Needless to say, I don't think CBS can be that thrilled given some of the finals in recent years - Clijsters/Pierce or Dementieva/Kuznetsova.

I went to my 1st tournament ever last year which was the US Open semis and after the 2 mens semis people were getting rid of their women's finals tickets for less than face value in some occasions.

I think 2 names besides the Williams sisters will get the casual fan to watch. Sharapova is one and Vaidisova has the promise to be the next. I actually think Vaidisova will be the better tennis player and also more marketable entity.

I hate NBC anyways and their taped coverage and was quite happy with ESPN's coverage during this tournament so maybe they can just give up tennis coverage period and I can watch live tennis on ESPN2.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Er... just how many percent of the population in US watches the World Cup, or even soccer? :confused:

And another thing to be considered, USA wasn't playing that day. :wavey:

manu32
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:43 AM
best audience infrance is 2001!!!!

Dani12
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Could it have had something to do with the World Cup? OR did that start after? Unsure.

Markus
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Capriati '01:

when i'm correct that means that the final 1999 between graf and hingis had a rating of 3.8 and no american woman was in the final. interesting. it seems that the battle between these two generations draw great attention.

Markus
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Could it have had something to do with the World Cup? OR did that start after? Unsure. are you sure that america is so wild about soccer? i have my doubts about that.

xin_hui
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:54 AM

americans dont care about world cup ;)

TonyP
Jun 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
One factor about the French Open is that NBC broadcasts the final live, so it started at 9 am Sunday morning on the East Coast, but at 6 Am on the West Coast. I doubt that anyone but really hard core tennis fans were willing to get up at 6 AM on Sunday to watch a match.

Carmen Mairena
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Soccer :retard:
Formula 1 :retard:
"I only watch tennis when a compatriot plays" :retard:

MH0861
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM
when i'm correct that means that the final 1999 between graf and hingis had a rating of 3.8 and no american woman was in the final. interesting. it seems that the battle between these two generations draw great attention.

Yep.. but the 1999 final was Steffi Graf and Martina Hingis, two huge draws in the game. I'm not surprised that final did well.

SelesFan70
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Bill O'Reilly and his people are still boycotting France... :devil: