PDA

View Full Version : Road to US Open

Denise4925
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm planning a trip to the US Open this year and was wondering if anyone had any tips on hotels, Open tix, i.e. what's the best plan to purchase.

junlee_vee
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I wanna go!!!! :bounce:

darrinbaker00
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I believe the USTA does offer discounts, De. Go to www.usta.com to make sure, though.

Denise4925
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I believe the USTA does offer discounts, De. Go to www.usta.com to make sure, though.
Yeah, I looked and called, but they are sold out. So, I'll have to look for another tour.

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Okay, I need some help in figuring out which session to buy tickets for and for which section of AA stadium. I'm going the first week so that I can see Venus and Serena in the early rounds in the even they don't make it to the second week. So, do you think they will play day or night? Should I get more expensive tickets the first first couple of days for better seating or wait until the last two or three days to splurge on good seats? For whatever reason, the night session's tickets are a little cheaper then the day. Please help. This is my first time attending a professional tennis tournament, let alone a GS event.

IceHock
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Okay, I need some help in figuring out which session to buy tickets for and for which section of AA stadium. I'm going the first week so that I can see Venus and Serena in the early rounds in the even they don't make it to the second week. So, do you think they will play day or night? Should I get more expensive tickets the first first couple of days for better seating or wait until the last two or three days to splurge on good seats? For whatever reason, the night session's tickets are a little cheaper then the day. Please help. This is my first time attending a professional tennis tournament, let alone a GS event.

i would go with night sessions,because they usually put the best matches there and the williams are usually at night,they were last year,so i'd go with the night session.

darrinbaker00
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I'm going the first week so that I can see Venus and Serena in the early rounds in the even they don't make it to the second week.
Remember when it was a foregone conclusion that at least one of the Williams sisters would make the final? Like Stevie Wonder once said, I wish those days could come back once more. ;)

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
i would go with night sessions,because they usually put the best matches there and the williams are usually at night,they were last year,so i'd go with the night session.
I thought about that, but was worried about their seedings. They may be relegated to playing day sessions, at least for Serena. :shrug:

Anyone any idea about whether to get expensive seats/excellent seats for the 1-3 rounds or wait until the last two or three day?

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Remember when it was a foregone conclusion that at least one of the Williams sisters would make the final? Like Stevie Wonder once said, I wish those days could come back once more. ;)
Yeah, but times have changed. :shrug:

sfselesfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'm going too. I'm gunna be there from 9/2-9/12. If you want to stay in Manhattan you should stay on the line that goes out to Queens...it's the blue line on the map. I know if passes through Grand Central.

The WS will definitely get some night matches. My in-laws are advertising executives and have a box in Arthur Ashe. I can't wait!!!

SF

crazyroberto6767
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
So, do you think they will play day or night? Should I get more expensive tickets the first first couple of days for better seating or wait until the last two or three days to splurge on good seats? For whatever reason, the night session's tickets are a little cheaper then the day. Please help. This is my first time attending a professional tennis tournament, let alone a GS event.
Odds are they'll play both @ some time. I've seen both in night matches, and both in day matches. But honestly, get night tickets at least one night. It's like nothing you've ever experienced, a night at the USO that is. When to splurge is really your decision, but I like ending things with a bang so I would wait for the last few days. The night session is cheaper because there are generally less matches, I think. Day tickets are fun because of how many matches there are. Walking around is a treat and it generally isn't overbearingly hot or anything. Also, as for seat placement, I thought one year I wouldn't be able to see a thing, but I could. As big as it is, even the very top nosebleeds (where I have sat on occasion :lol: ) of AA can view tennis nicely. Granted, closer seats are nice, but I've always prefered a middle range seat. It's a better angle IMO.

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Odds are they'll play both @ some time. I've seen both in night matches, and both in day matches. But honestly, get night tickets at least one night. It's like nothing you've ever experienced, a night at the USO that is. When to splurge is really your decision, but I like ending things with a bang so I would wait for the last few days. The night session is cheaper because there are generally less matches, I think. Day tickets are fun because of how many matches there are. Walking around is a treat and it generally isn't overbearingly hot or anything. Also, as for seat placement, I thought one year I wouldn't be able to see a thing, but I could. As big as it is, even the very top nosebleeds (where I have sat on occasion :lol: ) of AA can view tennis nicely. Granted, closer seats are nice, but I've always prefered a middle range seat. It's a better angle IMO.
Great info, thanks.

Yeah, I'm thinking about spluging in the beginning with the Loge seats the first three days and ending with Promenade seats the last two days and attending three night and two day sessions. How does that sound?

AA tickets are good for ground admission and other courts correct?

crazyroberto6767
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Great info, thanks.

Yeah, I'm thinking about spluging in the beginning with the Loge seats the first three days and ending with Promenade seats the last two days and attending three night and two day sessions. How does that sound?

AA tickets are good for ground admission and other courts correct?
Sounds good. And that is correct. I'm sure you'll have a blast :yeah:

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm going too. I'm gunna be there from 9/2-9/12. If you want to stay in Manhattan you should stay on the line that goes out to Queens...it's the blue line on the map. I know if passes through Grand Central.

The WS will definitely get some night matches. My in-laws are advertising executives and have a box in Arthur Ashe. I can't wait!!!

SF
Good info on hotels. Thanks. I envy you about the box seating :) However, I'm pretty good with directions and mass transit, so we should be able to get to and from without too much trouble from where we stay. :D

vwfan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Remember when it was a foregone conclusion that at least one of the Williams sisters would make the final? Like Stevie Wonder once said, I wish those days could come back once more. ;)exactly, I went three years straight 2000-2 and always bought tickets to the semis, hoping to the sisters shut out the field and they did 2/3 years I was there! and even though serena didn't make it in 2000, the Venus v. Hingis match was enough of a match. i was so hoarse!

i skipped 2003-4, but got faith and bought tickets again in 2005. though neither was there, at least i got to see two great three setters.

the atmosphere at the open is just :eek: you won't lose whatever you decide to do.

Denise4925
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:32 PM
exactly, I went three years straight 2000-2 and always bought tickets to the semis, hoping to the sisters shut out the field and they did 2/3 years I was there! and even though serena didn't make it in 2000, the Venus v. Hingis match was enough of a match. i was so hoarse!

i skipped 2003-4, but got faith and bought tickets again in 2005. though neither was there, at least i got to see two great three setters.
Well, it's my mission in life to see them play a GS or anything live for that matter before I die or they retire, whichever occurs first, regardless of round. ;)

Lucky you though :hug:

Lenafan
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I have only been to 2 tennis tourney in my life. The Nasdaq and the US Open. I went to Agassi/Fed, the womens doubles final, the mens semis, and the the women's final.

At Nasdaq, I went to early rounds and probably spent one/tenth of the money and probably had a better time watching more matches, stars playing doubles and practicing up close. Hopefully, I can afford to go to the early rounds this year. Although being in NYC at the time, I HAD to go to Agassi/Fed or would have regretted it for rest of my lif. It was a once in a lifetime chance.

You will have a blast. NYC is best city in world. It's beautiful weather. And the USTA does a great job and you will see your share of celebrities. Decent food. Shops. It's an event unlike any other sporting event I have ever been to. Have fun.

moon
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM

During the first week, I'm sure Venus and Serena will play day sessions and at least one night session. You didn't say how long you would be there, but I would suggest going towards the end of the first weeks. that's when the REALLY good matches start (3rd round), plus doubles will have started and you can check out pretty much anyone you like in tennis. Also, a couple of days before the tourney starts, they let people on the grounds for free if you want to check out the place before the tourney starts.

K-Dog
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:20 AM
it was so easy when they were 1 and 2 in the world. they were guarenteed to play on opposite days and for sure one would have the day session and one would have the night session.

Denise, if I were you, get tickets for Louis Armstrong for later in the day because with Serena's ranking, they'll prob put her on that court instead of AA. Venus will def. be on AA for all of her matches imo. Def. go to a night match if you can because you'll prob see a high ranked female and prob either Fed, Nadal, Roddick, or Agassi (this is prob his last tournament of his career) for the men's match. The atmosphere is amazing and it is a great to end the day.

Have fun on your trip. I wish I could go with ya. Problem is I have to move in for college that week, so me even going was thrown out the window with my mom a long time ago. Get some good pics and try to get some autographs as well. Maybe Richard will talk to you if you bump into him.

GracefulVenus
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM
yep, that's were I am getting my discount!! I will be there during week one. I chose the upgrade from the cheapest package. :wavey:

Lenafan
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Definitely try to see Agassi play once whether you like him or not. The atmosphere is electric seeing as he's approaching the end of the career. It even seems the other players realize how electric it is. He could have already played his last US Open if the injuries flare up again. I spent more than I ordinarily would for a tennis tournament to watch him, but I don't regret it one bit. My guess is Blake, Nadal, Fed, Agassi, Williams sisters, and Sharapova will be the main choices for the primetime matches during the week and afternoon matches on the Sat, Sun, and Mon. The other thing to consider is there are no guarantees 3 of the 4 men mentioned will even make it to the 2nd week. The Williams sisters will most likely make it so maybe as the tournament progresses, maybe they will make the show courts. Course I believe there are only 2 matches scheduled per evening during M - F. And like someone told me if you want to see them practice and they are playing a night match, probably a good chance you can see the Williams sisters on the practice courts. If Nasdaq is any indication, approx. 90 minutes to 2 hrs before the match. I would guess that Serena being away from the game for so long, she will have MAJOR fan support and probably will be a very electric atmosphere particularly for a night match.

K-Dog
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:31 AM
hey Lenafan, prob Kim as the defending champ will get a night match early on. Justine might too as a past champ and RG champ.

Lenafan
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM
K-dog. You might be right, but I would think USA and CBS would have a massive problem with this. Too many other stories that the spectators and networks would rather see. Sharapova being top female endorser in world. Serena coming back from a long absence. Not knowing how long the Williams sisters would play. Agassi's possible last Open. Blake's increasing popularity. Nadal becoming a name that the general public is starting to learn. No need to explain Federer. Roddick. Even Lindsay's possible final run. And at some point, Vaidisova is going to become VERY popular with regards to endorsements and the fans. Maybe she isn't popular with the French, but she's exactly the type of player and personality that the US Open crowd will warm up to. I expect nothing from Vaidisova in Wimbledon for some reason, maybe even an early exit, but I really expect a great performance by her at the US Open and it really sucks that I won't be able to witness it in person.

Unless there is some traditon to give former champions a night match, I would be shocked except for the 1st weekend night. Even last year, there were rumblings that the schedule was manipulated so that Agassi/Ginepri match was the 1st match to give the old man Agassi more time to recuperate for the final. Hewitt/Federer might have been the more higher quality match, but there was no question why there was an electric buzz in the air and which match the majority of the crowd was into. In fact after the 5 setter with Ginepri, for the 1st set, there were a lot of people who left the seats. The marquee men's semis is usally the 2nd match.

I guess that's why I enjoy the early rounds more. It's easy for me to see Lena up close in the early rounds plus there is no guarantee she will be around for the later rounds like in Miami. LOL. Plus you can see ALL the players practice. Course if Sharapova played Dementieva last year in the finals, I would have been courtside and probably forced to eat Ramen noodles for the rest of my life and get a 2nd job. Luckily for my wallet, it was Clijsters and Pierce, and the only reason I went was people were giving away tickets for that one especially after a 5 setter and a 4 setter in the mens semis.

I really wish I could go this year, but I highly doubt it. After all, it's the only GS champ Lena doesn't underacheive in and I could be way off but I think Vaidisova will go really far there.I envy anyone who goes and particularly this year. It's my favorite tournament in my favorite city.

LUIS9
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I looked and called, but they are sold out. So, I'll have to look for another tour.

Awww I am sorry to hear this. Since I am a subscriber to tennig mag, they sent me this flyer promoting cheap prices for tickets in advance and even more discounts for Discover credit card members. I got my tickets a couple of days ago both the ladies and mens final tickets for $200. The Discounts yeah were from the 5th to the 12th I believe.

Keep in mind hotels in NYC are very very expensive especially in Manhattan. If you wouldn't mind the hassle of finding one in queens or the outer city limits like some Hamptom inns etc I am sure you would find better rates. Luckily I live here. Nevertheless, it's the first time I am visiting the US open after being an avid tennis fan for over 9 years. I went away for college for four years so I always had to be in school by the end of august when the tournie begins.

Good luck with finding tickets and a hotel. :wavey:

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Definitely try to see Agassi play once whether you like him or not. The atmosphere is electric seeing as he's approaching the end of the career. It even seems the other players realize how electric it is. He could have already played his last US Open if the injuries flare up again. I spent more than I ordinarily would for a tennis tournament to watch him, but I don't regret it one bit. My guess is Blake, Nadal, Fed, Agassi, Williams sisters, and Sharapova will be the main choices for the primetime matches during the week and afternoon matches on the Sat, Sun, and Mon. The other thing to consider is there are no guarantees 3 of the 4 men mentioned will even make it to the 2nd week. The Williams sisters will most likely make it so maybe as the tournament progresses, maybe they will make the show courts. Course I believe there are only 2 matches scheduled per evening during M - F. And like someone told me if you want to see them practice and they are playing a night match, probably a good chance you can see the Williams sisters on the practice courts. If Nasdaq is any indication, approx. 90 minutes to 2 hrs before the match. I would guess that Serena being away from the game for so long, she will have MAJOR fan support and probably will be a very electric atmosphere particularly for a night match.
Seeing Agassi is one of my goals too. I love Andre and would love to see his swan song.

That's good advice on the primetime and daytime matches, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

K-Dog
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
don't forget about the Louis Armstrong stadium Denise. I really think that Serena might end up there with her ranking. They have put Justine, Lleyton, Pete, and Venus on there in recent years.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
don't forget about the Louis Armstrong stadium Denise. I really think that Serena might end up there with her ranking. They have put Justine, Lleyton, Pete, and Venus on there in recent years.
When you buy Arthur Ashe tix, you automatically get entry to Louis Armstrong stadium and all the other courts.

K-Dog
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
When you buy Arthur Ashe tix, you automatically get entry to Louis Armstrong stadium and all the other courts.

oh, i did not know that. well, that throws my concern out the window. i'm so envious of you. i've always wanted to go. the closest I got was being on the grounds of the National Tennis Center in July. The stadiums are just huge for tennis, esp. AA.

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I'm hoping to go aswell. Was just wondering how much do tickets cost for a night session? How much for a ground pass to walk around the courts and to whcih courts does that give access?

G1Player2
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I was planning on going to the US Open this year but everything seems sold out. :help: I don't want to settle for less. I want to experience the whole enchilada. Maybe next year, although I am still being optimistic. A friend of mine in Cleveland has been doing all the research on everything so I am a bit left in the dark.

G1Player2
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
oh, i did not know that. well, that throws my concern out the window. i'm so envious of you. i've always wanted to go. the closest I got was being on the grounds of the National Tennis Center in July. The stadiums are just huge for tennis, esp. AA.

Do you ever plan on going?

K-Dog
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Do you ever plan on going?
"fo' shizzle my knizzle." (lol) I say that type of stuff all he time to people and they just look at me like "Are you okay?" Yeah, I REALLY want to go. I've never even been to a pro tournament. My family is NOT a tennis family, so of course they have no interest in going. Problem is that I am in college now, so move in week falls during the USO. I'm gonna try to go in the next few years. If not, I'm going to Cincy or Canada (men's events) because I live pretty close to them. I want to see Serena and Venus play before they retire (which I hope isn't for a few years).

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Oh, you'll go one day. You're still so young and have so much life a head of you.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping to go aswell. Was just wondering how much do tickets cost for a night session? How much for a ground pass to walk around the courts and to whcih courts does that give access?
Go to the US Open website or Google US Open tickets. It will give you an array of sites selling tickets. Ticketmaster has the cheapest prices but all of the good seats are gone.

The tickets to AA stadium give access to everything. But, if you just buy general admission tickets (ground passes), you get access to Louis Armstrong and the other courts but not AA stadium. The costs depends on where you buy them.

moon
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:56 PM
If you guys keep checking back at Ticket Master, seats will open up. they release the tickets in waves. So don't give up. Just keep calling back every week or so. I always get my tix in July.

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:11 PM
If you guys keep checking back at Ticket Master, seats will open up. they release the tickets in waves. So don't give up. Just keep calling back every week or so. I always get my tix in July.

Ryan
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I hope you have lots of fun Denise!

I'm going to Montreal this year for the Rogers Cup, and I'm excited about planning everything too. It will also be my first tennis event ever, so the one thing I would recommend to you would be to see as many different players as possible. I'm not suggesting watching some of the lower-ranked players that you don't care about, but definately get a chance to see the top 20 players if possible, even if you dislike them. I don't know how many tennis events some people go to, but for me it won't be a frequent thing, so I'm mainly looking forward to seeing all the best players.

- how many days are you going? You mentioned 3 night sessions and 2 days sessions? Is that over 3 days, or 5?

Denise4925
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:26 PM
I hope you have lots of fun Denise!

I'm going to Montreal this year for the Rogers Cup, and I'm excited about planning everything too. It will also be my first tennis event ever, so the one thing I would recommend to you would be to see as many different players as possible. I'm not suggesting watching some of the lower-ranked players that you don't care about, but definately get a chance to see the top 20 players if possible, even if you dislike them. I don't know how many tennis events some people go to, but for me it won't be a frequent thing, so I'm mainly looking forward to seeing all the best players.

- how many days are you going? You mentioned 3 night sessions and 2 days sessions? Is that over 3 days, or 5?
It will be for five days and thanks, I plan to have fun and see as many of the top 25 as I possibly can. You have fun in Montreal. :banana:

cometz9
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:39 AM
the USTA box office will have plenty of tickets for the day and night session on AA, remember u can't bring backpacks into the tennis center, they make u check it at the gates. Also wear lots of sunblock and bring an umbrella just in case, i was burnt by the sun :o i went for the first 2 day and it was awesome, got to see Venus and Serena and most of my faves play, it was a fun atmosphere. Have fun Denise, i wish i was going this year :sad:

Denise4925
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:42 AM
the USTA box office will have plenty of tickets for the day and night session on AA, remember u can't bring backpacks into the tennis center, they make u check it at the gates. Also wear lots of sunblock and bring an umbrella just in case, i was burnt by the sun :o i went for the first 2 day and it was awesome, got to see Venus and Serena and most of my faves play, it was a fun atmosphere. Have fun Denise, i wish i was going this year :sad:
What about on Saturday and Sunday. Do they have plenty then too? I heard they usually don't.

Monica_Rules
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Go to the US Open website or Google US Open tickets. It will give you an array of sites selling tickets. Ticketmaster has the cheapest prices but all of the good seats are gone.

The tickets to AA stadium give access to everything. But, if you just buy general admission tickets (ground passes), you get access to Louis Armstrong and the other courts but not AA stadium. The costs depends on where you buy them.

Thank you:worship: :D