PDA

View Full Version : Wertheim on Clijsters:

Hazy
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:59 PM
• So, Kim Clijsters, you're the second seed in Paris and a former two-time finalist. You lose an uninspiring semifinal match to your rival, Justine Henin-Hardenne, and with it a chance to regain the No. 1 ranking. How do you feel? "If people would have told me I was going to play a semifinal here this week, I would have been really happy."

LoveFifteen
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have to agree with him. Kim seems so apathetic. It's really discouraging. It's like she just doesn't care about winning Slams anymore.

fifiricci
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
On her website today Kim confirms her satisfaction with her performance at RG. Last year Kim went to Eastbourne a week early to prepare (because at that point in time that was her philosophy on training). This year she is not going until Friday because she says she now needs more time to rest her body, so that cuts down the preparation time. Its a bit "che sara sara" if you ask me, but that is obviously the way Kim is going to do things and she seems to think that is sufficient. Kim doesn't want a coach or to take any advice from anyone about her tennis, so that would appear to be that.

Only time will tell if her way of doing things this year will deliver anywhere near the results that started coming this time last year.

I think there is absolutely no doubt that Kim's commitment to the game has dropped since this time last year. No doubt its the result of winning a slam and getting loved up and that's her business, no-one elses (although I think everyone has a right to make observations about that, whether they be good or bad).

Time will tell if the results will still come with her reduced preparation for tournaments. I hope they do, of course, and we will see.

cellophane
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM
She is lying. :devil: She is mad as hell after that loss; she is just fooling all of us. ;)

spencercarlos
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have to agree with him. Kim seems so apathetic. It's really discouraging. It's like she just doesn't care about winning Slams anymore.
I shows no desire at all, even on the match she did not even tried for something different to get out of trouble, she just kept hitting hard hard and harder, and that´s just not enough to challenge Henin.
I was really surprised the way she played compared to the balanced winners/errros match she played against Hingis.

partbrit
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm starting to think Kim doesn't want to wait until the end of next year to retire. Her movement was so sluggish at the French Open. I think her injuries have gotten to her--who can blame her?--and she's just not the same player she used to be. This makes me sad. I really like Kim, but she says she never feels quite right anymore.

charmedRic
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:27 PM
shame.

No.1Hingis
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I shows no desire at all, even on the match she did not even tried for something different to get out of trouble, she just kept hitting hard hard and harder, and that´s just not enough to challenge Henin.
I was really surprised the way she played compared to the balanced winners/errros match she played against Hingis.

I think until today that the match on Henin and even with Martina could be different endings.. Ag. Martina had to been a really tough match but Hingis missed to bring her own lunch to RG.. and if until that Kim defeated Martina cause Kim have a 50% it most happened with a 100% Marty, cause Kim is No.2, then the match with Henin had to been a great one.. and in reality was so poor from her.. I think that she was so surprise to arrive the semis that easy.. circunstances put her on that round.. and I think she did not take advantage cause she in depth really didnt want it that much.. so.. this statements clearly point it..

SelesFan70
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM
So is she retiring after playing through 2007 or when the calendar turns 2007? Maybe she has a lot on her mind...but that semi-final was... :help:

anlavalle
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM
very sad, the comentator during the match also said things like: "Clijsters wants to end the point very quickly one way or another", "she seems to doesn`t care, at least fake it you do"

iPatty
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
So is she retiring after playing through 2007 or when the calendar turns 2007? Maybe she has a lot on her mind...but that semi-final was... :help:

She's retiring at the end of 2007.

Brαm
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
She's retiring at the end of 2007.
Actually she might still play in Antwerp in 2008 :)

rikvanlooy
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
On her website today Kim confirms her satisfaction with her performance at RG. Last year Kim went to Eastbourne a week early to prepare (because at that point in time that was her philosophy on training). This year she is not going until Friday because she says she now needs more time to rest her body, so that cuts down the preparation time. Its a bit "che sara sara" if you ask me, but that is obviously the way Kim is going to do things and she seems to think that is sufficient. Kim doesn't want a coach or to take any advice from anyone about her tennis, so that would appear to be that.

Only time will tell if her way of doing things this year will deliver anywhere near the results that started coming this time last year.

I think there is absolutely no doubt that Kim's commitment to the game has dropped since this time last year. No doubt its the result of winning a slam and getting loved up and that's her business, no-one elses (although I think everyone has a right to make observations about that, whether they be good or bad).

Time will tell if the results will still come with her reduced preparation for tournaments. I hope they do, of course, and we will see.

Her results have been crap since she is without a coach.

She doesn't train hard, she doesn't prepare well, she ...

It looks like she suffers from burn-out.

Whatever she might tell about giving it all, I just don't buy it.

She didn't want to go to Miami and, yes, she lost against a nobody (same happened with that loss against Krasn. in 2003).

Tichi
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
The commentator during the final told something about Svetlana's burn out last year and how she got over it with the help of a psychologist.
He said that a lot of aspects of a burn out were to be noticed in Kim's behaviour. You're not necessarily playing bad or looking depressed when suffering from it. But he summed up a few things, like the apparent lack of motivation and her satisfaction even when she doesn't win a tournament.

It's really sad because I've been following her since she was a junior. I admire her style of play and I think she's a excellent player with a lot of talent. But it's obvious that something has changed.
I hope she plays through 2007, but I fear for it.

azmad_88
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Actually she might still play in Antwerp in 2008 :)

yup..and aussie open 2008 is her last GS

KClijsters
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think a semi final at Roland Garros is a good result for Kim. Clay isn't her best surface. She can play well on it, but not so well as on grass and certain on hardcourt. Her game is better on grass and hardcourt. And Kim wasn't playing well the whole time on clay. I can't remember a good match this year on clay. So, I think it was no surprise that she lost to Justine. And Justine is a better player on clay. I think Kim also had no belief that she could beat Justine on clay. And yes, than it's very difficult.

But I'm really curious to your reactions when Kim's playing really well at Wimbledon ;) :p
Because everybody is telling that Kim's not motivated anymore and that's better for her to stop now.

spencercarlos
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I think a semi final at Roland Garros is a good result for Kim. Clay isn't her best surface. She can play well on it, but not so well as on grass and certain on hardcourt. Her game is better on grass and hardcourt. And Kim wasn't playing well the whole time on clay. I can't remember a good match this year on clay. So, I think it was no surprise that she lost to Justine. And Justine is a better player on clay. I think Kim also had no belief that she could beat Justine on clay. And yes, than it's very difficult.

But I'm really curious to your reactions when Kim's playing really well at Wimbledon ;) :p
Because everybody is telling that Kim's not motivated anymore and that's better for her to stop now.
No one says it was a surprise, but she looked very average against Henin, it was not exactly an outstanding performance by Henin, who made more errors than winners that day, it was simply Kim handing it to her on a golden plate with 29 errors, some of them really wild, out by meters. Kim did not even looked worried throught the match, also did not tried something different to change the outcome of the match, she tried to over power Henin... on clay? sorry but that is not enough to win a clay court GS semifinal against a two time champion.
The careless atititude was the one that worried, the match that should have been the better one of the day looked like a first round match.

V-MAC
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
:( still so disappointed about that match, don't know what the hell Kim was doing or thinking :o I still think she'll win a handful of tier II tournaments before she retires but the slams look doubtful

Slumpsova
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:00 PM

to be honest with you, she won't. i mean she might make another SF but believe me if Kim meet up with players like Venus, Maria or Martina she will give up.

Brαm
Jun 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
believe me if Kim meet up with players like Venus, Maria or Martina she will give up.I'm sure Kim can handle Navratilova now that she's almost 50 :p

fifiricci
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm sure Kim can handle Navratilova now that she's almost 50 :p

Wow, Kim's looking great for 50 isn't she? She must use Oil of Olay every day and night! ;)

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Possible scenarios:

-She's lying (like when she's injured ) and after the match she's smashing her head on a wall.
-She's telling the truth, tried to win against Justine and Martina Hingis is a waste of time herself.
-She's telling the truth, didn't try to win against Justine and wants to stay as a one-Slam wonder...

I only hate that Martina had to lose just to show such a poor performance after all... :rolleyes:

Carmen Mairena
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I'm sure Kim can handle Navratilova now that she's almost 50 :p

:retard:

Kim @ 50 will be remembered as the Belgian one-Slam wonder if she keeps on tanking!

Martina @ 50 is an impressive player with the best (subjective appreciation) career ever! :bowdown:

tennisIlove09
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM
People got SO amazingly down on Venus when Serena took over and won 4 majors in a row. Yet, Venus was still fighting and beating everyone else, but because Serena was playing better everyone said "Venus has lost her drive to win"...blah blah blah...and now we actually have a player who HAS lost her drive in Kim, and no one is saying anything. I just feel like Kim's entire game has fallen apart since the US Open. Careless errors that she used to make back in the day. I dont think she cares anymore. She has her one major, and I think she cant wait for next year to be over so she can retire.

fifiricci
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
:retard:

Kim @ 50 will be remembered as the Belgian one-Slam wonder if she keeps on tanking!

Martina @ 50 is an impressive player with the best (subjective appreciation) career ever! :bowdown:

That may indeed end up being the case, but the huge difference and the point that you have consistently missed is that Kim will care not a jot!

Sam L
Jun 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Wertheim!!! :clap2:

rikvanlooy
Jun 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM
People got SO amazingly down on Venus when Serena took over and won 4 majors in a row. Yet, Venus was still fighting and beating everyone else, but because Serena was playing better everyone said "Venus has lost her drive to win"...blah blah blah...and now we actually have a player who HAS lost her drive in Kim, and no one is saying anything. I just feel like Kim's entire game has fallen apart since the US Open. Careless errors that she used to make back in the day. I dont think she cares anymore. She has her one major, and I think she cant wait for next year to be over so she can retire.

Look I am sure that she doesn't care any more. Just have a look at her losses since the US Open.

It's incredible. She now loses against players against whom she had a h2h of 7-0 or 8-1.

She didn't even want to go to Miami.

She has so much talent that she still wins matches. She gained some 7-8 kilograms since the US Open victory. She simply enjoys herself now.

Kart
Jun 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Kim wasn't playing particularly well in Paris.

I can understand her being satisfied with a semi.