PDA

View Full Version : What type of court is your tennis best suited to?

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I'm playing my first grass court match in a few days and it got me wondering what will my game be better on.

I've only ever played on hard courts, the ones at uni are quite slow, while as the ones at home are faster.

Also how different is synthetic Grass to real grass?

alfajeffster
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I'm playing my first grass court match in a few days and it got me wondering what will my game be better on.

I've only ever played on hard courts, the ones at uni are quite slow, while as the ones at home are faster.

Also how different is synthetic Grass to real grass?

I've been very lucky to have been able to play on grass at least once a year (sometimes a couple of times) for the past 8 years running. I voted grass in your poll, because I still love to volley, but have to admit that the body doesn't recover as easily as it used to, and one thing you'll have to get used to is crouching down on just about everything- much lower on return of serve. The general idea is to not let the ball bounce at all, but take it out of the air. It's faster and lower bouncing than even the fastest hardcourts, and you'll see- you're going to get some awful bounces- right under your racquet, and sometimes the ball doesn't bounce at all. Be careful with your footwork, because many people who play on grass for the first time fall right on their cans- grass is slippery.

The synthetic grass I've played on is not at all like the real thing. It's basically plastic turf, and doesn't have the natural feel of grass. I don't like it at all. Good luck! Where are you playing on grass if you don't mind me asking?

lolas
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Well mine is clay (as there are only clay courts in Germany)
I prefer playing outdoors to indoors so I choose clay over carpet.
I played very few times on hardcourts in the holidays so I can't really tell. Grass is a dream :) Enjoy yourself The_Pov!
Is grass the most common surface in the U.K.?

RJWCapriati
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Clay

hanxu
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I play hardcourt more, so I chose hard court, tried a couple games on clay and grass, but found clay feels too sticky, and grass is too slippery. Haven't tried carpet yet...

BTW, the most common court in the UK is hardware.

Freakan
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I can double bagel everyone on any surface :p

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
definitely hard courts. never played on clay, however...

iPatty
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:39 PM
I've never played on grass, but it seems that it would suit my game the best. Then, clay. :D

vesanto
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Well, I am not that good player, I think I have a good first serve, a strong forehand but sometimes erratic and a consistent backhand. I don´t get many winners from my backhand but it is a strong weapon in my defense because I can play it really deep and with a lot of bounce, which makes it difficult to attack. My forehand used to be a great weapon, not a really good technical one but I started working on it and now I am thinking more while doing it and sometimes that is just awful.
I already played in grass, clay and hardcourt. I am more used to hardcourt, I think it is the one I am more confortable. Grass is really difficult, the ball doesnt bounce, the slice is a really good weapon there and I am terrible at playing against a player with a good slice. But in other way, i prefer to play more flat so it is a good court for my game but it obviously take more time to get used to.
I remember the first time that I played on clay and I hated it, I made a lot of unforced errors because the points are bigger but in the end I got used to and was playing my normal and enjoying it.
But I would say harcourt.

E. Blackadder
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM
We play on clay nearly the entire summer season, but my game is better suited for hardcourt of carpet. But since we nearly always play on clay I had to adapt my game

Never played on grass before, but I would probably suck on it :p

KV
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Artificial grass and HC's.

iine:
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I've just played on clay and carpet before. I hate slow surfaces such as clay. :p I prefer fast surfaces and it suits my game better. I really wanna see how it's like to play on grass. But I only get those stupid clay courts in Vienna! :(

LindsayRulz
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Hard court. I have never played on grass or on clay :(

tennisbuddy12
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I like hard but ive won both of my USTA matches on clay.

adam_ads_n
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I played 3 times in my life, and only on clay. I will play more on holidays and once again on clay. The answer is obvious :D

LegionArgentina
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Clay ˇ

In Argentina we have all clay courts in the tennis clubs and there are places who has also hard courts but only a few.

ivan88
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Grass

RR-87
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Clay cause I have time to think before hit the ball here ;)

No.1Hingis
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Hard.. you know.. clay is really.. mmm.. red and bother...

Prefer faster balls.. is more exciting for me..

Goai
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I hate plastic grass... it fills my shoes with sand.

Derek.
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I mostly play on hardcourts, but I've played on green clay and I've played on synthetic grass. But knowing my game, I think grass would suit my game best. :cool:

Derek.
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I've never played on grass, but it seems that it would suit my game the best. Then, clay. :D

:smash: Those surfaces are almost total opposites, but they are your #1 and #2? :lol:

If you say so... ;)

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I've been very lucky to have been able to play on grass at least once a year (sometimes a couple of times) for the past 8 years running. I voted grass in your poll, because I still love to volley, but have to admit that the body doesn't recover as easily as it used to, and one thing you'll have to get used to is crouching down on just about everything- much lower on return of serve. The general idea is to not let the ball bounce at all, but take it out of the air. It's faster and lower bouncing than even the fastest hardcourts, and you'll see- you're going to get some awful bounces- right under your racquet, and sometimes the ball doesn't bounce at all. Be careful with your footwork, because many people who play on grass for the first time fall right on their cans- grass is slippery.

The synthetic grass I've played on is not at all like the real thing. It's basically plastic turf, and doesn't have the natural feel of grass. I don't like it at all. Good luck! Where are you playing on grass if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I'm not too sure where I'm playing a friend is taking me to some grass courts near or in Southampton.

iPatty
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
:smash: Those surfaces are almost total opposites, but they are your #1 and #2? :lol:

If you say so... ;)

Well, I have two different sides to my game. Lots of variety. I can do the whole hard, flat deal. But I can also do the loopy slicing clay-court style of game.

You know I'm crazy, Derek. :lol:

:cuckoo:

Andy.
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Definatly grass, i hit very flat and hard and dont really go for variety just thumb the ball and go for winners. Dont really like long rallies i just like power toe to toe thumping ang going for winners. I hate playing against variety and people who mix it up I always lose.

ZAK
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I'm best on either indoor hardcourt or carpet

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Never played on grass, but I love quick surfaces, so I'd say grass. My shots are really flat and agressive.

Mattographer
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:56 AM
I HATE hardcourts! :lol: I like play on clay and it does suit my game the best :D