PDA

View Full Version : Because a Brit had to win a round somehow: (WC) Borwell d. (WC) South 7-5 3-6 6-3

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Sarah is coming off a 25K final in Japan, so she might be on the up and up.

Gotta feel bad for Mel though. She's been moving up the ranks too and this was a HUGE chance for both of them.

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
:o I glanced quickly through the results from Birmingham today and I couldn't believe it first when I saw a Brit had won a match :eek: then I saw she had beaten another Brit to win :lol:, so makes sense

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hey don't rain on our parade :ras:

A Brit won that's all that counts, the rest is just details!

Carmen Mairena
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Somebody should have warned that Sarah was on a roll lately :tape: Just for vCash's sake! :tape:

Joking :silly:

Farina Elia Fan
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM
:)

SJP
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Quite a good match actually, sometimes it's hard to see why they don't do better!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/06/06/12/TENNIS_Edgbaston_Lead.html

BORWELL BACK IN THE BLACK

Sarah Borwell breathed a huge sigh of relief on Monday after securing a Wimbledon wild card entry which will wipe out her debts.

It proved a day of double delight for Borwell, who also beat friend Melanie South to clinch a place in the second round of the dfs Classic at Edgbaston.

With the 26-year-old admitting to being £10,000 in the red, she now knows the money gained from simply being in the first round of both the women's singles and doubles at the All England Club will see her back in the black.

"I feel great," beamed Borwell.

"It's nice my achievements have been acknowledged, so now I can relax and play another year without worrying.

"I was in Germany recently and was supposed to play in a tournament in Gran Canaria, but couldn't afford the flight and had to go home.

"So this is a big weight off my shoulders. My bank account will look a lot healthier in a few weeks' time."

Borwell, who did not turn professional until she was 23, is eager to succeed without help from friends and family.

The Middlesbrough-born British number four, who has risen in the rankings by more than 50 places this year, added: "Tennis is an expensive sport.

"When you are starting out you don't make that much money. It all goes on credit card.

"My parents take an involvement with encouragement. I would rather they enjoy their lifestyle and I'll try and get through on my own."

Borwell endured a two-hour battle with fellow wild card South before finally clinching a place in the last 32 with a 7-6 3-6 6-3 win.

Borwell will now play Jamea Jackson, who knocked out Klara Koukalova earlier in the day, one of three seeds to suffer an early exit, with Catalina Castano and Laura Granville also falling by the wayside

Koukalova, the 10th seed from the Czech Republic, was comfortably swept aside 6-4 6-1 in 55 minutes by 19-year-old Jackson, the American ranked 48 places below her opponent.

iPatty
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Aww, she seems like a sweet girl. :awww:

jamatthews
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
She does diary updates here (http://www.lusciousmontenegro.com/sarah.php) which make very good reading.

Pengwin
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
With the 26-year-old admitting to being £10,000 in the red, she now knows the money gained from simply being in the first round of both the women's singles and doubles at the All England Club will see her back in the black.

"I feel great," beamed Borwell.

"It's nice my achievements have been acknowledged, so now I can relax and play another year without worrying.

"I was in Germany recently and was supposed to play in a tournament in Gran Canaria, but couldn't afford the flight and had to go home.

"So this is a big weight off my shoulders. My bank account will look a lot healthier in a few weeks' time."

Borwell, who did not turn professional until she was 23, is eager to succeed without help from friends and family.

The Middlesbrough-born British number four, who has risen in the rankings by more than 50 places this year, added: "Tennis is an expensive sport.

"When you are starting out you don't make that much money. It all goes on credit card.

"My parents take an involvement with encouragement. I would rather they enjoy their lifestyle and I'll try and get through on my own."

See this is why Peng can never be independant from the CTA, there has to be a medium though.

My suggestion: The ITF or the WTA pays for exceptionally talented players living costs untili they can make it on their own.

Europe rocks
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Sarah :woohoo:
Mel :sad:

A win is a win for a British girl so don't knock it! Well done girls!

MLF
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Sarah's a decent player. She's got a great serve, pretty big forehand but horrible backhand. On grass she is capable of picking up some ranking points provided that she doesn't get too tough a draw. Can't see her beating Jamea but she'll give it a go. I think that's the first Brit main draw WTA tour win since Anne Keothavong's win in Quebec last year.

Monica_Rules
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM
It was a tense match throughout either could have won it but Sarah was stronger on the day with her serve. If she can serve like the 3rd set against Jackson she will give her trouble.