PDA

View Full Version : If Venus wins this years Wimbledon....

virtue05
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Will that make her one of the greatest grass court players of all time?

Dasha_
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM
That will make her one of the greatest players of all time. Period.

On the other side, she already is that. But I wouldn't mind if she wins Wimbledon. Again.

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM
She already is, but this would add to her legacy.

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM
She already is, but this would add to her legacy.
I agree, i mean if there was any1 different in the 02 final and if she wasnt injured in the 03 final she would have 5 by now and she would be going for her 6th but thats tennis for ya

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I agree, i mean if there was any1 different in the 02 final and if she wasnt injured in the 03 final she would have 5 by now and she would be going for her 6th but thats tennis for yaThat 2003 final was really painful. I mean, had she been healthy I think she would have won the title! Alas, alas. . .

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:48 PM
...............*awaiting SpencerCarlos entry to the thread to spew his usual negative rubbish about Venus* :o :rolleyes:

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Venus has already proved herself as the best grass court player anyway of the current generation of tennis players :worship:

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:50 PM
...............*awaiting SpencerCarlos entry to the thread to spew his usual negative rubbish about Venus* :o :rolleyes:you can count on it.

let me see: "well, Venus won't win Wimbledon because she lost 6-1, 6-1 to Hingis in 2001 when she was at the height of her game." :lol:

LUIS9
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I would have to disagree as much as I like her game and love her backhand. This title belongs to Martina Navratilova. She would have to win another four titles to compete for second place with Graf.

Nonetheless, Venus does come behind of Graf as the 2nd best grass court player post 1990's.

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
you can count on it.

let me see: "well, Venus won't win Wimbledon because she lost 6-1, 6-1 to Hingis in 2001 when she was at the height of her game." :lol:
Thats the exact thing he is gonna say in all :)

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I would have to disagree as much as I like her game and love her backhand. This title belongs to Martina Navratilova. She would have to win another four titles to compete for second place with Graf.

Nonetheless, Venus does come behind of Graf as the 2nd best grass court player post 1990's.

Read please: "one of the greatest grass court players."

She is the best of her generation and one of the best ever!

LUIS9
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Read please: "one of the greatest grass court players."

She is the best of her generation and one of the best ever!

She already is one of the best grass court players that's why I completely ignored to see the "one". Certainly the best of her generation closely followed by her baby sis.

WF4EVER
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
not this thread again

Marshmallow
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I just hope all this talk about Venus being fav, doesn't JINX her. Yes she has a good shot at the title but she'll have to stay solid and not breakdown.

Venus already has a greta wimbledon record, 5 finals, and 3 titles in 6 years.

But this is tennis... this is sport... anything can happen

V-MAC
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I just hope all this talk about Venus being fav, doesn't JINX her. Yes she has a good shot at the title but she'll have to stay solid and not breakdown.

Venus already has a greta wimbledon record, 5 finals, and 3 titles in 6 years.

But this is tennis... this is sport... anything can happen

You know judging by reactions already going into Wimbledon, I don't think Venus is considered to be the favourite, one of the contenders, definitely, but not the overwhelming favourite to win again. So that should help her with some pressure off. I think the pressure will probably fall on Justine this year.

new-york
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:27 PM
:scared:

Carmen Mairena
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM
:)

GracefulVenus
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
like duh.............just kidding, of course. I think the same can be said for Justine on clay as of right now. I think another victory would soldify it. But I have to think about Martina Navratalova. I think she's the best of all time as of now.

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:39 PM
she already is, if she wins this 4th title in 6 years, then she has to be considered one of the best, especially with the depth of women's tennis now.

venus_rulez
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Venus already is one of the best players to ever play the game, especially on grass. I was rewatching the '03 final and she is one of a select few players, male or female, to make 4 consecutive finals. Plus she's one of 5 women in the open era (Steffi, Martina, Billie Jean, and Serena) to win back to back Wimbledons. Not to mention only Steffi, Martina, and Billie Jean have won more than 3 Wimbledons in the Open era. She's already solidified her place in history, but winning another Wimbledon would move her up another notch.

Scotso
Jun 13th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I agree with those that said she already is.

The Daviator
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I agree, i mean if there was any1 different in the 02 final and if she wasnt injured in the 03 final she would have 5 by now and she would be going for her 6th but thats tennis for ya

Ifs and buts work both ways, had it not been for Serena she may have won in 2002 and 2003, but had Lindsay taken one of her many opportunities she wouldn't have won in '05 ;)

Sorry, that doesn't really have anything to do with the thread, as for Venus, without a doubt, anyone who wins 3 Wimbledons is one of the legends :)

Junex
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:17 AM

isn't she already...

I can only name at the top of my head 5 ladies who have won the Rosewater dish 3 times or more and venus is one of them!

But this years Wimbledon champion will be Justine!
Im sure venus would be glad to lend it to Justine just for a year.... :devil:

Junex
Jun 13th, 2006, 02:21 AM
You know judging by reactions already going into Wimbledon, I don't think Venus is considered to be the favourite, one of the contenders, definitely, but not the overwhelming favourite to win again. So that should help her with some pressure off. I think the pressure will probably fall on Justine this year.

But last years result would say otherwise...

so this time around.....Justine won't be pressured as much as before, just like Venus, just one of the contenders..

I think Maria will still be the overwhelming favorite together with Amelie..

pressure....pressure.... :angel:

Dawn Marie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM
She can only add to her legacy. So let us all relax and enjoy tennis. It's good right now to be a Venus fan. She's healthy and back playing tennis. And she's single. lol

serenafan08
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Venus will definitely go down as one of the best grass court players of all time. She's one of only a handful of players to make five Wimbledon finals - something even Serena hasn't done yet. She difficult to beat on grass - that's a fact.

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM
like duh.............just kidding, of course. I think the same can be said for Justine on clay as of right now. I think another victory would soldify it. But I have to think about Martina Navratalova. I think she's the best of all time as of now.

9 Martina Navratilova
8 Helen Willis Moody
7 Dorothea Douglass Chambers and Steffi Graf
6 Blanche Bingley Hillyard, Billie Jean King, Suzanne Lenglen
5 Lottie Dod and Charlotte Cooper Sterry
4 Louise Brough
3 Maria Bueno, Maureen Connolly, Margaret Smith Court, Chris Evert Lloyd, and Venus Williams
2 Evonne Goolagong Cawley
Althea Gibson
Dorothy Round
May Sutton
Maud Watson
Serena Williams

Mother_Marjorie
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Venus will definitely go down as one of the best grass court players of all time. She's one of only a handful of players to make five Wimbledon finals - something even Serena hasn't done yet. She difficult to beat on grass - that's a fact.

Most Wimbledon Finalists (5 and greater)

Navratilova 10
Evert 10
Hillyard 9
Cooper 9
King 9
Graf 8
Moody 8
Chambers 7
Lenglen 6
Dodd 6
Jacobs 6
Brough 6
Court 5
Bueno 5
V. Williams 5

Zauber
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
if if if if
and if she looses of course she beat herself.

Brett.
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Not even a chance! She will lose in first round! :)

spencercarlos
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM
if if if if
and if she looses of course she beat herself.
:lol:
And :lol: about this thread, why?
Because you want to put Venusīs name along with Navratilova, Graf, Billie Jean, Hellen Wills Moody and to be honest Venus has to acomplish almost twice of what she has in order to be the 6th or 5th best ever grass court player, which i really doubt she can achieve given her big inconsistency these days.
No doubt Venus is a great grass court player, but she does not belong to the group of players i just mentioned.
These my two cents for this wishfully thinking thread.
:wavey:

stevos
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Yes but how much competition did those oldies have vs Venus' competition nowadays?

spencercarlos
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Yes but how much competition did those oldies have vs Venus' competition nowadays?
Every era is different, although i think that there were better grass court players before than they are now, the same when i think of doubles.