PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Wimbledon...

drez
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I've been reading some of the posts on Mary's french fanclub, where some fortunate Mary fans have had the occassion to meet and see Mary practice, but some of their reports haven't been all that positive about her participation at Wimbledon. It seems like she's continueing to train on clay and perhpas prepare for the upcoming Fed Cup tie against the Czech Republic (or, Nicole Vadislova).

The photos of Mary are just incredible. It seems like she's in the best shape of her life, even when compared to her 2000 RG form. She's slim, fit, and her injuries don't seem to have gotten better. The only thing that worries me is her motivation. Her goals this year was to become #1 or win Wimbledon.
I personally think that if she's fit enough to train on clay, then she should definetely be practicing on grass. It's just easier on the body, and the points played are much shorter. She has a couple of weeks to train and can be ready for Wimbledon.

On the other hand, I find it quite sad and actually stupid that she may be choosing Fed Cup over Wimbledon. the reason for this is that her false patriotism isn't necessarily reciprocated. Without a doubt she is the most accomplished French tennis player, and her performances at Roland Garros is something Amelie can only dream of. She's also the only player to have been on both Fed Cup winning teams. Yet, the French will always revere Amelie since she's been in France all her life. All one has to do is open up the French journals during RG to see where the French stand.

At 31, her priorities should be focused on Grand Slam competition, enough said. Even Amelie, who's in the form of her life and #1 in the world, let her nation and her fed cup team down a couple of years ago when she decided not to go to Russia and contest the title. This time around, if I were the coach of the Fed Cup, I would definetly choose Tatiana. She's played well before her injury, was couragous enough to give it a go at Roland Gartos, and will probably get match play during the grasscourt tournaments and Wimbledon.

I guess a lto fo this comes from frustration, knowing that with her powerful serve and strokes, and a #9 seeding which may give her a good draw, Mary would definetly be a contender for Wimbledon title.

Any thoughts?

pierce0415
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
:sad:

I agree. If Mary plays Fed Cup and gives up a GS I will not understand her motivation

stefi62
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I am not really optimistic about Wimbly from what I heard saturday! But who knows, Mary and David aren't the most talkative persons in tennis, so ...

About the way French people think of her, don't mix what medias say and what people think! She's been elected favourite sportswomen by the readers of a fashion magazine in France, before Manaudou or Amélie!

When you say something like "false patriotism", I think what she's really looking for in the extra-bonus of her carrier (these past two years) is pleasure. And I think she really enjoys being with the girls of the French team. She likes being part of a team. So I am not surprized that she hopes to play Fed Cup, and will go anyway, even if she does not play, only to support the girls.

IMO, her motivations are really different now, and what she seems to really hope is play well and have fun.

Sund7101
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I totally agree. That was very well spoken. The French aren't even in the semis. This is just a shock to me personally, she has the game to go far at Wimbledon, remember her 2nd set against Venus. She should have won that set and Venus won the title. Her years to become number one in the world and win Wimbledon are numbered, why waste this precious opportunity? A good draw and a couple of big wins and she'd be hoisting her third major title. I fully agree with you why waste such a precious opportunity.

Sund7101
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I am not really optimistic about Wimbly from what I heard saturday! But who knows, Mary and David aren't the most talkative persons in tennis, so ...

About the way French people think of her, don't mix what medias say and what people think! She's been elected favourite sportswomen by the readers of a fashion magazine in France, before Manaudou or Amélie!

When you say something like "false patriotism", I think what she's really looking for in the extra-bonus of her carrier (these past two years) is pleasure. And I think she really enjoys being with the girls of the French team. She likes being part of a team. So I am not surprized that she hopes to play Fed Cup, and will go anyway, even if she does not play, only to support the girls.

IMO, her motivations are really different now, and what she seems to really hope is play well and have fun.
I can see that Mary wants to play well and have fun, but at the beginning of the year she clearly stated that she was motivated this year to become number one in the world and to win Wimbledon. This saddens me that she is wasting what I thought she said she was working so hard for.

Mark Spruce
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Mary is not wasting.

She is being very careful. She is an injury prone player, and does not want to come back too quick and then injur her self even more.

I am with Mary, she knows her self that best.

All I have to say is trust in Mary:wavey::wavey:

Mark

I can see that Mary wants to play well and have fun, but at the beginning of the year she clearly stated that she was motivated this year to become number one in the world and to win Wimbledon. This saddens me that she is wasting what I thought she said she was working so hard for.

stefi62
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:54 PM

Maybe her life changed in such a way that winning is no longer the most important thing in her life. She goes on with her project, which always was play well and have fun, but let's be realistic, if she plays Wimbly and gets hurt again, as her physical trainer told me when I saw him in Roland Garros, we would no longer see her. She would not start all these efforts to cure and come back a second time in a couple of months. So if she feels she needs to wait, and if that means we'll see her longer playing well, I think she is right!

ashwu
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
injuries aside, i'd rather had her play wim. forget about the fed cup. they don't deserve you :P but i admire her decision

squig2k
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I totally agree. That was very well spoken. The French aren't even in the semis. This is just a shock to me personally, she has the game to go far at Wimbledon, remember her 2nd set against Venus. She should have won that set and Venus won the title. Her years to become number one in the world and win Wimbledon are numbered, why waste this precious opportunity? A good draw and a couple of big wins and she'd be hoisting her third major title. I fully agree with you why waste such a precious opportunity.

totally agree. as much as being part of the french fed cup team would be great, she has her own game to get back into at the moment and wimbledon can prepare her for serious competitive matches

drez
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hey,
I only wrote this with last year's fabulous quarterfinal in mind. Without a doubt she has what it takes to win Wimbledon. Venus even said she was more afraid of Mary after her semifinal win over Maria.
All this talk about be cautious and afraid of injury doesn't make sense. The likelihood of getting injured on clay is much more higher than on grass, especially since Mary hasn't played in over 3 months!
Besides, Mary has always been an elite player in my mind, and she should be fearless when it comes to competition, and relish the fact that she can contest Wimbledon at 31 and as the 9th seed. She should be confident that no one in the top ten wants her in their side of the draw (from what Lindsay said at the end of last year).
Finally, does anyone really care about Fed Cup? I mean, Mary will always be remembered for her Grand Slam finals and her Grand Slam wins. Yes, she's at the twilight of her career, but the fact that she has all reason in the world to believe that she can raise another Grand Slam trophy must let her prioritize her tournaments. The Grand Slams are what makes tennis so special. Not Fed Cup, nor Davis Cup. At the elite level, and what Mary is best known for, tennis is an individual sport.

zibaas
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Hum, yeah, i was thinking here ...
Mary have 31, and if i wore she, i will choose Wimbly, because is on the grass and is the less-injury surface, and the points are very quickly (??) and of course, is a Grand Slam, and she have some points to defend there. But, thinking in another way,i think Mary will choose FED CUP for one reason: She wants to win the Fed next year, and this is a good thing coz that means she wants to play next year too. I know she like to be on the team and have fun, buti think this is just a complement.
But, i´m very sad about Wimbly, but i really don´t think that i know more than Mary and her team of doctors etc. So, lets wait and pray to Mary be 100% healthy and play the better she can ! :angel:

FrenchY52
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Stefi or Saby, you have seen Mary two days ago . So how was she mooving ?

Declan
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I didn't want Mary to play Roland Garros 'cold', without at least one warm-up event, amd now I have the same feeling about Wimbledon. No player could come straight in after a four month absence and do themselves any sort of justice at Wimbledon, despite it being on grass! Mary: take as long as you need to recover completely, and return when you're fully confident of another prolonged attack on the tour!

saby
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
You know what all Mary's fans who meet her last saturday and even at the fed cup (like me) say, Mary is happy, she is so peacefull on and out of the court, she doesn't care anymore about the ranking, tourney....she just wants to PLAY tennis. Guys she is happy, Fed cup is very impotant for her, the french team has been there for her when she was down in 2001 2002...and at that moment, Mary openned her heart and completely gave to her fans., i wish that she can play wimbly, David and her are working hard for that, maybe she will play maybe not but for now she's trying to "play tennis only play tennis" and how many players are able to make come back like she does...

You can't even imagine how Mary was happy to see her fans during her training last saturday....

Sund7101
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
We're all worried about if she's going to play, when and where, etc. Mary knows what's right for her. Let's hope it's soon, but only when she is at 100%. I'm just getting ahead of myself because I really want her to win Wimbledon and become number one in the world, she will but I guess we'll just have to wait.

ScottP53
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Watching Wimbledom will not be the same without Mary. But whatever she thinks is best. I'm sure she will be back when she is ready.

Mark Spruce
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I am so glad that Mary is at piece and knows what she wants.

I would love if she is at SW19 if she would play mixed with Mahesh

You know what all Mary's fans who meet her last saturday and even at the fed cup (like me) say, Mary is happy, she is so peacefull on and out of the court, she doesn't care anymore about the ranking, tourney....she just wants to PLAY tennis. Guys she is happy, Fed cup is very impotant for her, the french team has been there for her when she was down in 2001 2002...and at that moment, Mary openned her heart and completely gave to her fans., i wish that she can play wimbly, David and her are working hard for that, maybe she will play maybe not but for now she's trying to "play tennis only play tennis" and how many players are able to make come back like she does...

You can't even imagine how Mary was happy to see her fans during her training last saturday....

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
If Mary doesn't play Wimbledon, she won't play fed cup for sure!

stefi62
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:23 AM
If Mary doesn't play Wimbledon, she won't play fed cup for sure!

Why wouldn't she? A Mary Pierce back from injury is still a hundred times better on clay than a healthy and fit Nathalie Dechy! Goven would never hesitate! He knows Mary, he knows David, if they say she can, he'll say she will! This team needs a girl like Mary, able to change a situation! And the last matches of Amelie on clay or in Fed Cup won't give her confidence!!!
So France needs Mary, and Mary loves playing with this team! Why shouldn't she play?

drez
Jun 13th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Why wouldn't she? A Mary Pierce back from injury is still a hundred times better on clay than a healthy and fit Nathalie Dechy! Goven would never hesitate! He knows Mary, he knows David, if they say she can, he'll say she will! This team needs a girl like Mary, able to change a situation! And the last matches of Amelie on clay or in Fed Cup won't give her confidence!!!
So France needs Mary, and Mary loves playing with this team! Why shouldn't she play?

You're absolutely correct. Mary thrives on the excitement of playing Fed Cup matches in front her adoring public. Unfortunately, I can't say the about Amelie. Considering she choked during the doubles rubber last year and against Francesca this spring, I suspect that Goven will need the Mary's energy and motivation to defeat the Czech team. The matches won't be easy, and the Czechs have Safarova and Nicole, both in the top 30 I think, but I don't see the two player troubling Mary that much. Mary's game is just a more mature and powerful version of what Nicole plays.

What I don't understand is why the French team continues to choose clay when they know that Amelie has had more success on hard courts and grass. She's even said herself. Finally, Natalie is no brainer. She doesn't merit being selected. The person I'm worried about is Tatiana being selected over Mary, especially if she has a good showing at Wimbledon. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

stefi62
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:09 AM
You're absolutely correct. Mary thrives on the excitement of playing Fed Cup matches in front her adoring public. Unfortunately, I can't say the about Amelie. Considering she choked during the doubles rubber last year and against Francesca this spring, I suspect that Goven will need the Mary's energy and motivation to defeat the Czech team. The matches won't be easy, and the Czechs have Safarova and Nicole, both in the top 30 I think, but I don't see the two player troubling Mary that much. Mary's game is just a more mature and powerful version of what Nicole plays.

What I don't understand is why the French team continues to choose clay when they know that Amelie has had more success on hard courts and grass. She's even said herself. Finally, Natalie is no brainer. She doesn't merit being selected. The person I'm worried about is Tatiana being selected over Mary, especially if she has a good showing at Wimbledon. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The latest news about Tati are not so good. I don't if she will manage playing in Wimbly!
And don't worry, if they choose clay, that's either for Mary or for political reasons (they chose Cagnes sur mer to play there, where the courts are in clay, why???). Anyhow, she will play, France team rely on her!
Finally, I find you hard with poor Nat. She's sweet, nice, maybe in lack of confidence lately, though her RG has not been that bad. And she's an important part of the team, for general atmosphere between the girls (as Razzano or Loit).

drez
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
About Nat: I enjoyed watching her early last year, but I don't think I can forget how rude she was to Mary at San Diego. It still leaves a bitter taste, but in the end, Mary is the true champion and I think they've reconciled since then.
As for Tatiana, is it in an injury or is she just out of form?

stefi62
Jun 13th, 2006, 10:40 AM
About Nat: I enjoyed watching her early last year, but I don't think I can forget how rude she was to Mary at San Diego. It still leaves a bitter taste, but in the end, Mary is the true champion and I think they've reconciled since then.

Mary forgave her a long time ago... And Nat is so sweet, I don't think that was a big deal. Sometimes, you're mad at your best friends, but get along with them anyway... And maybe Nat took too seriously what everyone used to tell her to do: get angry on court!!!
About Tati, that was the injury. She did not train last week and was expecting results. She said the still was water in her ankle, and that it was not healing the way she hoped... to be continued...

Mark Spruce
Jun 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM
What did Nat do ???

Mark

saby
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Why do they always play on clay because it's Mary favourite and best surface, Georges said it...Amé said it too during an interview, "it's because of Mary"

I have to agree with Stéfi I didn't really like Nat before (i mean i still don't like her game) but it's true she is very sweet and ...funny insn't it Stefie (for those who doesn''t know it, Nat explained to Stefie how to use a numeric camera and stefie still doesn't understand lol) it's not a joke !!
About the story in san diego, george called both and they cleared it up and now it's fine....it's what newspaper said!! Everyone knows that Mary doesn't get up set very easely on a court so when it happens she is not faking it.

I heard like stefie Tati has a little chanc eto play wimbly even less than Mary...

The french fed cup team need Mary, at RG during an interview Sarah Pitkowski said "the french team need you, you have to play fed cup in july", i don't think george will choose another player is Mary can play!!

zibaas
Jun 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
yeah but i can´t stand another gs without Mary
France playing now :)

saby
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
yeah but i can´t stand another gs without Mary
France playing now :)

Me too but what do you want to do..."wait and see" even if it's hard

Mark Spruce
Jun 14th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Hello Saby,

What a great message. And it fills my heart so much with happiness, they play on clay because of Mary.

Mary is such a leader for the team, and it shows such great team spirit in her, that she goes and cheers on the team when she is injured and oculd not play RESPECT TO YOU MARY.

So what caused Mary to get angry on court ??

Mark

Why do they always play on clay because it's Mary favourite and best surface, Georges said it...Amé said it too during an interview, "it's because of Mary"

I have to agree with Stéfi I didn't really like Nat before (i mean i still don't like her game) but it's true she is very sweet and ...funny insn't it Stefie (for those who doesn''t know it, Nat explained to Stefie how to use a numeric camera and stefie still doesn't understand lol) it's not a joke !!
About the story in san diego, george called both and they cleared it up and now it's fine....it's what newspaper said!! Everyone knows that Mary doesn't get up set very easely on a court so when it happens she is not faking it.

I heard like stefie Tati has a little chanc eto play wimbly even less than Mary...

The french fed cup team need Mary, at RG during an interview Sarah Pitkowski said "the french team need you, you have to play fed cup in july", i don't think george will choose another player is Mary can play!!

FrenchY52
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Both, she wasn't ready to play RG but she would have been too sad to withdraw .. But she did an exam and she is still injured ..
:sad: :sad:

squig2k
Jun 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
mary hardly ever gets angry on court! there couldve been many times when she could have eg. AO 06, USO, RG 05, but she hasnt!

ashwu
Jun 14th, 2006, 07:42 PM
from what i read, mary got upset about the linesmen's calls, many times, started from game 1. and the overrules favored mary most of time.

saby
Jun 14th, 2006, 09:20 PM
from what i read, mary got upset about the linesmen's calls, many times, started from game 1. and the overrules favored mary most of time.

Did you see her at the fed cup final, she woke up a referee who was sleeping lol it was too funny...

Mark Spruce
Jun 14th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I never knew about that one :eek::eek::eek:

Mark

Did you see her at the fed cup final, she woke up a referee who was sleeping lol it was too funny...

ashwu
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
wow~ the match is that boring for him? can't believe it!

zibaas
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM
cool!!
any video?!

Mark Spruce
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM
yeah a video clip of it would be so funny

Mark

ClaudiaZ-S
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I didn't watch the final :shrug:

saby
Jun 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
wow~ the match is that boring for him? can't believe it!

the referee didn't call out for a ball and Mary went to see him and told him something like "are you sleeping or what" LOL

Mark Spruce
Jun 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
GO Mary

You tell them !!!!!!!!!!:bounce::fiery:

Mark
the referee didn't call out for a ball and Mary went to see him and told him something like "are you sleeping or what" LOL

vanillalatte
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:42 PM

:devil:

I MISS YOU MARY!

anybody else? :(

Mark Spruce
Jun 15th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I MISS MARY :angel::angel:

I MISS YOU MARY!

Sund7101
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:32 AM

I MISS YOU MARY!

We all really miss Mary. I was watching some of her match highlights from last year, great times! She'll be back and better than ever I just know it! Hail Mary!!!!!!!!!

stefi62
Jun 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Soon, we'll show you a video of Mary from her training. Just two more days to wait. You'll see, she still rocks!!!

Sund7101
Jun 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Soon, we'll show you a video of Mary from her training. Just two more days to wait. You'll see, she still rocks!!!
Great News!!!! I love to watch Mary play so much even if it's just practice.

squig2k
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM
would be great to see mary again in action after many months of absence :bounce:

zibaas
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM

yeah!!!
you rock too!

sebbe
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
So are Mary playing rosmalen?

Wizzy Maryfan
Jun 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
So are Mary playing rosmalen?

Mary is not on main draw list, i have just checked it in the "ordina open" section ...

So no Mary in Netherlands, but it's not a news, if she's still in Paris, training on clay ...

Et Wimby s'éloigne de jour en jour ... :confused:

Edman
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM
well, it is really sad when all of us are waiting for her comeback...
i just have the feeling that she is not going to play wimbledon...coz if she decided to play, she would surely announce the news...up to now, she is still questionable to play...?
but one thing we should be happy is that mary's injury is not tthat serious....i mean she still keeps practising...but only not in good form?
i really hope i can see her on courts soon...
guys, let's bless our girl!!

Mark Spruce
Jun 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Blessing Our Girl !!!!!!!!!!!