PDA

View Full Version : Ambition = JHH

rikvanlooy
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
What I love about JHH is her enormous ambition.

She is having a look at all the statistics and wants to see her name appear in all of the important lists.

She knows exactly who has won 3 times RG (ASG and Seles) and who has won more than 3 (Evert : 7, Graf : 6, Court :5, Mills : 4) .

She was talking about equalling the 6 of Graf at RG. She thinks it's realistic.

She is going to concentrate on winning slams.

I would love her to break the record of Evert and becoming the fifth best player ever (behind Graf, Navratilova, Evert and Court).

auntie janie
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Yep, Justine is the old style of tennis pro. She's ALL about tennis; she genuinely loves the sport and has zero interest in diverting her attention in multiple directions during her career. In this regard she has more in common with Steffi Graf than with most current players. I'd also put Sveta in this group.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a more well-rounded person; obviously, that approach worked very, very well for Serena and Venus back in the day. But I'm glad there are at least a few of the old type of tennis champion around. With this type of player, you never have to wonder how well she could have done IF ONLY she could have concentrated more on improving her game, her mentality, everything. With Justine, even when she loses, you know she's giving it her all. :hearts:

Nice to see Wertheim acknowledge this about Justine this week. :kiss:

Reuchlin
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Yep, Justine is the old style of tennis pro. She's ALL about tennis; she genuinely loves the sport and has zero interest in diverting her attention in multiple directions during her career. In this regard she has more in common with Steffi Graf than with most current players. I'd also put Sveta in this group.

Not that there's anything wrong with being a more well-rounded person; obviously, that approach worked very, very well for Serena and Venus back in the day. But I'm glad there are at least a few of the old type of tennis champion around. With this type of player, you never have to wonder how well she could have done IF ONLY she could have concentrated more on improving her game, her mentality, everything. With Justine, even when she loses, you know she's giving it her all. :hearts:

Nice to see Wertheim acknowledge this about Justine this week. :kiss:

Just because she's not into fashion etc. doesn't mean she's not a well rounded person--it just means she has interests which she is less vocal about.

auntie janie
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Sure, but she doesn't devote a lot of her attention or energy to her other interests right now; she's simply postponing that till after her tennis career. I didn't mean to imply that she's nothing more than a self-involved tennis robot, but I can see how my post could come across like that. But the fact that Justine started her own charitable foundation at such a young age shows that she's not that way at all.

RAA
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I,too, am impressed with Justine's drive and determination to be the best she can. I know she has had some questionable sportsmanship moments (in my opinion) but i do admire her for her devotion to the game, her willingness to improve her game, add new shots, work on her fitness, and try and peak for the slams. I always thought she would get maybe three slams, tops, but she is showing she could well get 7-8 before she is done.

kosmikgroove
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
allez justine!!

shap_half
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I,too, am impressed with Justine's drive and determination to be the best she can. I know she has had some questionable sportsmanship moments (in my opinion) but i do admire her for her devotion to the game, her willingness to improve her game, add new shots, work on her fitness, and try and peak for the slams. I always thought she would get maybe three slams, tops, but she is showing she could well get 7-8 before she is done.

Justine and Carlos have both said they want a long career for Justine. And Justine have mentioned she plans on playing tennis for the next 5 years, and that's what she's trying to maintain her health for. If that's the case, she could ostensibly win at least 5 more RG. And of course, she's also shown she's no push over for the other Slams. I love Justine's dedication to what she does, and I think if she can continue to improve her health and plan her season accordingly to accomodate her rest periods, I can't see why she shouldn't win a slam or two every year for the remainder of her career.

rikvanlooy
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Justine and Carlos have both said they want a long career for Justine. And Justine have mentioned she plans on playing tennis for the next 5 years, and that's what she's trying to maintain her health for. If that's the case, she could ostensibly win at least 5 more RG. And of course, she's also shown she's no push over for the other Slams. I love Justine's dedication to what she does, and I think if she can continue to improve her health and plan her season accordingly to accomodate her rest periods, I can't see why she shouldn't win a slam or two every year for the remainder of her career.

I think she will win at least 10 slams, but one is never sure.

Graf profited from the fact that Seles got stabbed. Otherwise the number of slams would have been a lot lower.

eck
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Well, Justine does sky diving :)
Does any other player do that? Maybe they can take a picture together :p