PDA

View Full Version : I hope Wimbledon...

tennisIlove09
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
...has high quality tennis than the French Open. I found the French to be, well 1-low quality tennis and 2-boring tennis. I dont feel like there was one "classic" match ... men's or women's. Nothing spectualar happened. Normally we have at least one match during match that is something special.

fifiricci
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I agree that this year's RG was largely a crashing bore. I even found myself hopping out into the garden to enjoy the weather for large parts of the mens' final yesterday, which is kind of sacreligous for a Nadal fan like myself :tape:

The grass courts of Wimbly should be bone dry, rock hard and very fast, given the drought situation in that part of the country (and btw how is Wimmbly coping with the hosepipe ban, eh :lol: ) so let's hope for some better tennis from the men and the women :D

SJW
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
The men's was pretty decent...maybe you didn't see the good men's matches...??
The women's was a total bore as always.

Vacant
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Nadal-Mathieu match was a very entertaining match on the men's side.

Women's was crap.

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I agree that this year's RG was largely a crashing bore. I even found myself hopping out into the garden to enjoy the weather for large parts of the mens' final yesterday, which is kind of sacreligous for a Nadal fan like myself :tape:

The grass courts of Wimbly should be bone dry, rock hard and very fast, given the drought situation in that part of the country (and btw how is Wimmbly coping with the hosepipe ban, eh :lol: ) so let's hope for some better tennis from the men and the women :D

Exactly how I like it :devil:

eck
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I thought the matches were OK, Nadal/Federer's match was somewhat lacklustre at times, but there were glimpses of amazingness when both were playing at their best.
On the women's side, Sharapova vs Safina, Myskina vs Ivanovic/Henin Hardenne, Safina vs Kuznetsova, Vaidisova vs Mauresmo/Williams were highlights.

Paneru
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Same tune as last year! :cool:

And what happened?
Nuf' said. ;)

azmad_88
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
mens were ok..womens...(where is serena,davenport and capriati).....

but i can bet wimbledon would be great..in both sides...williams showed us 3 great matches last year..her epic tiebreaker vs pierce...her tight first set vs sharapova..and the final...u guys knew how good it was..

Ryan
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I find that in general Wimbledon brings out excellent tennis on both sides. Even though it was lopsided, the Venus-Maria SF was great ball-striking, and the Davenport-Mauresmo match was amazing, even though barely ANYONE saw it. Not to mention the final.

jj74
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Well the female final was far better than the last years, even without being nothing special. On the men's side the Nadal-Mathieu was very interesting.
I don't enjoy too much the game on grass, specially on the men's side, some matches are only ace against ace

TomTennis
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Yeh I think for the last couple of years, Wimbledon has always brought out good tennis in players. Last year there were so many good matches!

i think a lot of players are kinda sick and fed up of playing on Clay when Roland Garros rolls around, and are eager to get onto a new surface where points are shorter and they can play powerful again.

Viktymise
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Last year was brilliant at Wimbledon i thought so many great matches in the womens there was at least 1 or 2 really great or exciting matches each round for eg
1st round
Serena - Haynes, quite dramatic stuff
Henin - Daniilidou, the fact it was an upset and a really tight match

2nd round
Kuznetsova - Mirza, some of the forehand mirza hit were :eek: and good rallies too
Dementieva - Klaschka, surprisingly tight and dramatic encounter

3rd round
Myskina - Jankovic, a titanic battle really exciting and fun to watch
Serena - Craybas, quality wasnt brilliant at times but it was one of the biggest upsets

4th round
Myskina - Dementieva, one of the matches of the tournament shame lena lost, great
Davenport - Clijsters, some great rallies throughout

Quater Final
Vee - Pierce, the tiebreak was super

Semi
Vee - Sharapova, one of themost intense matches iv ever seen
Davenport - Mauresmo, high quality with lots of variety

Final
Vee - Davenport, a real classic unbelievable stuff
Lets hope it the same this yr

lindsayno1
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
and i hope all teh injured parties are back at wimbledon after not being at the french *cough* pierce, davenport, serena! (not that serena will be)