PDA

View Full Version : Less than complimentary article about the state of women's tennis ..

fifiricci
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Extract taken from an article published in the UK's Independent newspaper today, that should ruffle plenty of fans' feathers!

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article799591.ece

If it was a relief for Henin-Hardenne to win her fifth Grand Slam title - Wimbledon, where she reached the final in 2001, is the only major crown she has yet to wear - the manner of her victory did not say much for the state of women's tennis.

The recent consensus has been that the competitiveness of the top group compensates for the lack of strength in depth; until Henin-Hardenne's triumph here, eight Grand Slam titles in a row had been won by different players. However, while it remains true that predicting winners away from the clay is a hazardous business, this is usually due to the physical and mental frailties of the leading players rather than ever-improving standards.

Take Wimbledon later this month. Will Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams, the last two winners, have enough matches in their legs? Did Amélie Mauresmo's meek surrender at Roland Garros signal a return of her mental demons? Does Kim Clijsters, having announced her intention to retire next year, have sufficient ambition? Is Nadia Petrova, perhaps the most anonymous world No 3 in history, anything more than a flat-track bully? Will a lack of power tell against Martina Hingis?

:o

jack daniels
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
It doesn't really diss womens tennis :confused:

Most of it is true, good read and thanks for posting :yeah:

Dani12
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
In a way I can see what they are saying, but Sharapova and Venus have nothing to worry about. Amelie is just always nervous in front of a home crowd, Martina doesn't need power when she plays smart tennis, once Nadia has good results on highly publisized event she will become more well known.

Though I think Kim isn't as ambitious as always.

fifiricci
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I don't think its overly critical either, the Independent is a very balanced newspaper, but I'm sure some will be provoked by it nonetheless;)

The Crow
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM
If they write an article about the boring men's Roland Garros as well I have no problem with it ;)

Scotso
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Well, something is definitely wrong when Nadia Petrova is #3.

chris whiteside
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Much as I hate to agree, unfortunately I feel that most of what the article has to say is true.

The women's event at RG didn't give much amunition to those who want equality of payment for the women.

Kart
Jun 12th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I totally agree - she should be no.1 :cool:.

thrust
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Interesting and accurate article. Hopefully, because she did not play as much as last year on clay, Justine will be in better physical condition than she was last year for Wimbledon. I think defending her title and points may have put Justine under extra pressure and caused some of her fatigue. If she can^t win Wimbledon this year, I would like to see Sveta win it.

switz
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM
:lol: i have been saying this for a long time. women's tennis has been going downhill since 2001/02 or so.

Paneru
Jun 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
In a way I can see what they are saying, but Sharapova and Venus have nothing to worry about. Amelie is just always nervous in front of a home crowd, Martina doesn't need power when she plays smart tennis, once Nadia has good results on highly publisized event she will become more well known.

Though I think Kim isn't as ambitious as always.

If Venus & Maria can get to the 4th rd & QF on their
worst surface of all the Slams with little to no tennis in
their legs for a while, please!

Their is no telling what they could do
on their best surface of all the Slams!

They both can and probably will tear it
up at Wimbledon! :cool:

The Crow
Jun 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Much as I hate to agree, unfortunately I feel that most of what the article has to say is true.

The women's event at RG didn't give much amunition to those who want equality of payment for the women.

You must be kidding me?? The women's tourney at Roland Garros was much more exciting than the men's.

SelesFan70
Jun 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM

She's not anymore: ;)

Jasmin
Jun 12th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I pretty much agree with the article.

vwfan
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
as per usual--nothing new or insightful here.

it would be nice to have all the top players competing at the same time, but it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, if ever. With Capriati, Davenport, and Serena all on long hiatuses, Venus playing on again off again brilliant tennis, it certainly adds to the snooze factor.

On to grass and the hope that Davenport can make it to the all England Club!

raquel
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Take Wimbledon later this month. Will Maria Sharapova and Venus Williams, the last two winners, have enough matches in their legs? Did Amélie Mauresmo's meek surrender at Roland Garros signal a return of her mental demons? Does Kim Clijsters, having announced her intention to retire next year, have sufficient ambition? Is Nadia Petrova, perhaps the most anonymous world No 3 in history, anything more than a flat-track bully? Will a lack of power tell against Martina Hingis?

:o
I think most are valid questions. The only one I don't think is valid is Sharapova and Venus having enough matches in their legs. Maria is looking to win her 3rd Birmingham in a row and I think a good run there or a win would be enough. And Venus didn't play a grass court warm up in any of the years she won (or was the runner up) at Wimbledon, and it obviously didn't effect her too badly.

No.1Hingis
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Well.. Wimbledom gonna be different.. there are more contenders with chances.. in both sides.. I perfectly remember the 4ers in AO almost all top players and Martina.. jeje!! hope 4ers similar... and the fight would be so interesting.. I will pick Venus as the top of favourites.. but Who knows.. Maria, Justine, Amelie, Kim, Nadia, Martina sure.. is not about surface.. is about talent, be fit enough and heart to win.. thats all.. all those girls have it.. but just most be 2 players in final and 1 winner..

The_Pov
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:19 PM

She's number 5 now, if I'm correct.

Scotso
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'm so glad you guys can quote the rankings. The fact remains she was #3, and that means something is wrong with womens' tennis.

dav abu
Jun 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I agree with this article.

vejh
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:38 PM
How about tennis 10 yrs ago when Steffi was pretty much cleaning house everytime?

The only thing womens' tennis is lakcing right now is consistency among players.

Right now Fed is cleaning house on the ATP tour, and I see no articles about that. Women's tennis is more unpredictable, and thus more exciting.

But are they getting as much exposure as the men? Not really. Sure Shara is some kind of celebrity, but how about not limiting the women to 'sexy' exploits, and promoting them as sportswomen? How about getting more of their tournies and competitive matches aired on tele?

SJP
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I think one of the problems is the top players not rising to the occasion - they seem to get nervous and hit too many errors, and I don't think many of the top players games match up well

eugreene2
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
The tour also needs a return of the 2002 Serena - hungry & driven.

miffedmax
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Lena D. elevates the tour to near perfection, based on her essential Lenaness.

Now if she would only do it based on results.

anlavalle
Jun 12th, 2006, 10:51 PM
How about tennis 10 yrs ago when Steffi was pretty much cleaning house everytime?

The only thing womens' tennis is lakcing right now is consistency among players.

Right now Fed is cleaning house on the ATP tour, and I see no articles about that. Women's tennis is more unpredictable, and thus more exciting.

But are they getting as much exposure as the men? Not really. Sure Shara is some kind of celebrity, but how about not limiting the women to 'sexy' exploits, and promoting them as sportswomen? How about getting more of their tournies and competitive matches aired on tele?

ditto, totally agree with you

anlavalle
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=chris whiteside]Much as I hate to agree, unfortunately I feel that most of what the article has to say is true.

The women's event at RG didn't give much amunition to those who want equality of payment for the women.[/QUOT

let me see the qf of the men side: 3 boring matches and one retire
the semis 1 boring match and one retire
the final, not that all excitement i was waiting for after the Roma final

charmedRic
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Nothing New. But Nothing Not True.

darrinbaker00
Jun 12th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Right now Fed is cleaning house on the ATP tour, and I see no articles about that.
Except when he's getting pimped by Nadal, that is... ;)

vejh
Jun 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Sometimes I seriously feel I could do Larry Scott's job. I think his area of focus is too narrow or all wrong, and he may be involved with a conspiracy to make the WTA tour obsolete.lol.

I do agree with the fact that alot of top players aren't rising to the ocassion. Of course nowadays, the same can be said of the players on the men's tour.

AS an addendum to my first post, I should say the top women severely lacks real tennis skills. They've become power monsters and ball bashers (not much different from the men but the girls can't handle the power they attempt to use).

Zauber
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I sort of agree with the article.

robert6061
Jun 13th, 2006, 04:57 AM
I think that women's tennis is in the best shape it has ever been in apart from the injury problems of Lindsay and Serena. The superb matches in tornaments 2006 are too numerous to mention. I attended a large part of the qualifying competition at Roland Garros and some of the women's matches were awesome...Rezai v Szavay and Pichet v Flipkens in particular.
And when will people start to realise what a charismatic player Petrova is. She has a great sense of humour, vivacious and far from anonymous.She is number 3 for the simple reason she has won five tournaments in the last seven months, including two tier one events. Her consistent record in grand slams also escapes the media's attention.

one_beat
Jun 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM
It makes it so much more interesting when there are different players winning slams. that's why I'm not interested in men's tennis - it's always the same story, just a different tournament.

Are the players frail and injury prone? To a certain extent, yes. But that's what you get as a professional athlete.

Dani12
Jun 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
If Venus & Maria can get to the 4th rd & QF on their
worst surface of all the Slams with little to no tennis in
their legs for a while, please!

Their is no telling what they could do
on their best surface of all the Slams!

They both can and probably will tear it
up at Wimbledon! :cool:

Why did you just quote me?